Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Move the Create-a-Servant thread/s to Fanfics.

Blog Entries

Move the Create-a-Servant thread/s to Fanfics.

Pretty please?

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    but but that would mean I would have posts in Fanfics!
    don't quote me on this

A necessary evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by ほうれん草 View Post
    STOP SHOOTING EACH OTHER YOU FUCKERS

I'm trying to watch anime FFS

Blog Entries
    If you've gone five-and-a-half years without a single post in Fanfics, I'll be very surprised. There's gotta be one somewhere.

The staff have been getting these occasional requests, in C-a-S and by other means. (Reporting posts in the thread to ask for a move is a blatant abuse of the system by the way, so cut it out). We have various reactions, but I think one of the predominant ones is bafflement that a group seems to care so much. C-a-S has been in that forum for BL2's entire life (less a month, granted). It's been one of the biggest threads for all that time, and thereby arguably defines GD to a certain extent by its history and popularity, alongside Questions and Badass (and formerly Tatari, RIP).

So, you know, why does it provoke you this much? Why aren't you accommodated to it by now?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Why it wasn't made there in the first place is beyond me.

Blog Entries
    I3uster thought of it at the time as a TM-based "forum game" for the most part, which quite fairly goes in GD.

He set out the rules for his game like this, to give you something of an insight into the original OP and intent:

People, let us create Servants!
    A few rules:
    1) Don't go crazy with the ranks (Remember this table http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Parameters_and_Skills)
    2) You can use any character, no matter if the character is from a legend, Type-Moon work or other universes as long as the characters stay within the boundaries of the TM-universe on their strongest level, since this is the level you will use (no omnipotence please)
    3) Give them Noble Phantasms
    4) Give them a few abilities, canonical Servant abilities are encouraged (read above)
    5) Select a class (You can even use Assasin, you shouldn't really use Avenger since that would be a little strange...)
    6) Explain a little why you choose which stat/ability/NP
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    If you've gone five-and-a-half years without a single post in Fanfics, I'll be very surprised. There's gotta be one somewhere.

The staff have been getting these occasional requests, in C-a-S and by other means. (Reporting posts in the thread to ask for a move is a blatant abuse of the system by the way, so cut it out). We have various reactions, but I think one of the predominant ones is bafflement that a group seems to care so much. C-a-S has been in that forum for BL2's entire life (less a month, granted). It's been one of the biggest threads for all that time, and thereby arguably defines GD to a certain extent by its history and popularity, alongside Questions and Badass (and formerly Tatari, RIP).

So, you know, why does it provoke you this much? Why aren't you accommodated to it by now?
    It's not that it upsets me or anything, or that I'm not used to seeing it in GD. It's just that most, if not all of the content in the thread is fanfic material, and not "general discussion" the way I understand the term.

- - - Updated - - -

I3uster thought of it at the time as a TM-based "forum game" for the most part, which quite fairly goes in GD.

He set out the rules for his game like this, to give you something of an insight into the original OP and intent:

A few rules:
    1) Don't go crazy with the ranks (Remember this table http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Parameters_and_Skills)
    2) You can use any character, no matter if the character is from a legend, Type-Moon work or other universes as long as the characters stay within the boundaries of the TM-universe on their strongest level, since this is the level you will use (no omnipotence please)
    4) Give them a few abilities, canonical Servant abilities are encouraged (read above)
    5) Select a class (You can even use Assasin, you shouldn't really use Avenger since that would be a little strange...)
    I see. That explains why the thread was made in GD. Still, I think the thread has somewhat evolved from this original purpose into something more appropriate for the Fanfics section.

Blog Entries
    My contention isn't so much based on what what was going in 2011 - I3uster wasn't exactly certain of its place either when he made it - but I wanted to provide an explanation for Snow. Like I said above, my basic view is that C-a-S may well have evolved, but GD has evolved too, by hosting it. In short, one of GD's attribute now is simply "has the Create-a-Servant thread" thanks to historical precedent.

(This is all personal opinion, I note).
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Alternatively, you could say the GD attribute brought on by being home to CaS is "now hosts a glorified fanfic thread."

A few rules:
    Oh, I c.

Blog Entries
    I know this sounds rather silly, but why not move only the new thread to Fanfics? If the old one has so much historical value on GD, then let it stay there.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Nah, we already decided the whole thing earlier, specifically in regards to the new thread. It's staying.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Well then can we make intentionally disregarding canon in the thread a reportable offense?

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Here's how you report it.

You take your mouse cursor up to the back button on your browser, then click.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Phones don't have mouse cursors.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    welp

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Well then can we make intentionally disregarding canon in the thread a reportable offense?
    That woul be pretty awesome =P

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Anyway, I might as well lock this thread since it's been asked and answered and it's just going to go off topic from here on out.

JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    On second thought, there might be more explanations and questions like the one with Snow/Seika above, so I'll unlock it.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I actually just found this topic now. It's already been replied to so not like I'll ask again. I'll offer some thoughts, anyway.

My main problem with it is that it overflows into other discussion. There are certain users who seem to mix up TM fiction with the fanfics they read inside the thread.
    A part of me feels stupid for talking like some internet crusader, but it's already a problem that productive and novel discussion can be difficult to have when most users here understandably have to wait for translated material or someone to explain it, and CaS being where it is has only made this visibly worse. IMO.

At the end of the day it's not terribly offensive, but it just doesn't make much sense to me to keep the thread there. The only ones who really benefit from it are the self-congratulatory fanfic writers, who get better visibility in GD than in Fanfic. If Fanfic forum feels dead, doesn't it need popular threads like CaS to get it moving again?

- - - Updated - - -

Also,
    not sorry
    sorry
    for the reports.
    Last edited by mewarmo990; November 30th, 2016 at 05:53 AM.