Page 197 of 388 FirstFirst ... 97147187192195196197198199202207247297 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 7759

Thread: Things that annoy you in TM

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Merlin: C
    Tan Santa Meme: EX

ranks don't mean shit
    ranks mean memes are #1

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also, after some thought I'd like to publicly apologize to Leftovers for the silly threat I made against him a few pages back. I was feeling condescended to and lashed out, and after making the post I was just left with a sour taste in my mouth. In general (as I said to IceBlade over PM) I need to dial back how much time I spend arguing with Dullahan and his ilk. I only end up losing my cool and making a fool of myself.

in future, I'll do my best to avoid these interminable arguments (as opposed to genuinely friendly debate) or at least disengage the moment I start getting angry. Sorry if my foolish and thoughtless posts here offended anyone.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Magikewl View Post
    ranks mean memes are #1
    Ranks are memes, they have always been.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Also, after some thought I'd like to publicly apologize to Leftovers for the silly threat I made against him a few pages back. I was feeling condescended to and lashed out, and after making the post I was just left with a sour taste in my mouth. In general (as I said to IceBlade over PM) I need to dial back how much time I spend arguing with Dullahan and his ilk. I only end up losing my cool and making a fool of myself.

in future, I'll do my best to avoid these interminable arguments (as opposed to genuinely friendly debate) or at least disengage the moment I start getting angry. Sorry if my foolish and thoughtless posts here offended anyone.
    Or you could just stop altogether.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    Or you could just stop altogether.
    Stop what?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    The previous convo has me thinking

I guess Fate in general is inherently exploitative and I find myself not really disagreeing with the harsher criticism

makes me think about the other controversies that surrounds authors doing cultural appropriation on other cultures stories and the creative liberties they might take with it. Like I cannot see an American version of Fate passing without getting raked over the coals over its premise

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    The previous convo has me thinking

I guess Fate in general is inherently exploitative and I find myself not really disagreeing with the harsher criticism

makes me think about the other controversies that surrounds authors doing cultural appropriation on other cultures stories and the creative liberties they might take with it. Like I cannot see an American version of Fate passing without getting raked over the coals over its premise
    Thankfully Japan seems to be mostly immune to charges of cultural appropriation (at least from the West). I've never heard SJ critics bring up (and if they have I'd love to hear it) how much Japan has shamelessly appropriated Christian iconography in its popular culture, for instance. (Even though Christianity was horrendously persecuted in ye olde Japan, so the "oppressed minority" condition is definitely there)

Mind you, I don't actually find Japan's use of Christian imagery to be wrong or offensive. I just think it shows how selective charges of "cultural appropriation" can be...

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I am pretty sure GO actually pushes the average down because anything below C didn't even exist before Apocrypha.
    Verg Avesta, Eightfold Blessings, Yew Bow, and Kilenc Sarkany are D rank, and Bathory Erszebet is E.

Blut die Schwester is also E, but I don't think it counts as a Noble Phantasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Nah, Japan gets criticized

rightly so. Using Christian symbolism typically incorrectly is still disrespectful

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not all Japanese pop culture is Evangelion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Nah, Japan gets criticized

rightly so. Using Christian symbolism typically incorrectly is still disrespectful
    I personally have never heard that, but I'll take your word for it (I can easily imagine actual Japanese Christians might be unhappy with how their religion is portrayed).

It's more of a personal thing to me. As I don't care when my own culture is being supposedly "appropriated", I don't have to feel like a hypocrite when enjoying other works deemed cultural appropriation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not all Japanese pop culture is Evangelion
    Nope, but it's far from limited to just there. Just browse the anime/manga entry in Creepy Cool Crosses on TV Tropes if you really want to find out.

Blog Entries
    No-one wants to find out that badly.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    It's more of a personal thing to me. As I don't care when my own culture is being supposedly "appropriated", I don't have to feel like a hypocrite when enjoying other works deemed cultural appropriation.
    I don't think that really works unless you're specifically a Japanese Christian.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    No-one wants to find out that badly.
    Predictable, predictable. Off the top of my head though, Death Note and Trigun are both anime/manga that indulge in some gratuitous Christian imagery. A casual google image search will find more.

JP Friend Code
    It’s time to stop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I don't think that really works unless you're specifically a Japanese Christian.
    They're not just appropriating "Japanese Christianity" though, but Christianity in general.

As a (half-)Christian, I'd surely have a right to be offended as much as, say, a Chinese person in China annoyed with an American movie appropriating Chinese mythology and culture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magikewl View Post
    It’s time to stop
    Nah, this discussion is quite friendly so far and not hostile. If people start getting pissed (first of all myself) then I'll be the first to bow out.

Blog Entries
    You can't be a half-Christian.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    What on earth is a half-christian

Blog Entries
    I'm half Christian in the sense that I have a Christian mother and Jewish father.