Page 312 of 388 FirstFirst ... 212262302307310311312313314317322362 ... LastLast
Results 6,221 to 6,240 of 7759

Thread: Things that annoy you in TM

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I’ll make it simpler: if your country on the American continent isn’t part of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, the greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the Earth, you are South American.
    So if Canada is South America and to the north of you, does that make the US double South America?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Summer Dioscuri Dream Sandstorm77's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    The consequences are completely gone if everything is just erased at the end. I don't like the idea of this new thing having some "matter of fact" effect on a finished story that I like in anyway.
    It’s not the consequences are being erased, being erased IS the consequence. The action isn’t negated. They destroyed the world and can’t continoue, so the system ignores it from then on. What do you want? ‘And then the world remain destroyed forever’?

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"

I mean if you dislike it, then I guess you should like root for a Lostbelt.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlandGreene View Post
    Can't say that I agree with that. Overlooking View and Oblivion Recorder aside, the other 5 movies were all solid in their own ways. Hell, almost the entirety of the 2 hours runtime of KnK 7 was spent on Shiki and Kokutou's relationship and it didn't have some over-dramatic revelation or shocking twist like in Fate/Zero or their UBW series but it was something more slow and carefully delivered.
    I didn't say all of KnK was bad, and 7 is one of the better ones, as is 5, but still the characters are more devices for the philosophy as opposed to the other way round as is the case in Zero and UBW IMO. In any case, I like the revelations of Zero and UBW, so...

I feel like Fate/Zero is the nasu work that's in the top 3 of worst at handling its characters, personally.
    Last edited by Menwearpink; December 14th, 2018 at 03:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    >I feel like Fate/Zero is the nasu work

>Fate/Zero
    >the nasu work
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Nasuverse work.

I suppose I should say Type Moon work?

Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    I feel like Fate/Zero is the nasu work that's in the top 3 of handling its characters, personally.
    Definitely would agree with that.

wow I only just realized that my forum post got fucked up.

It's suppose to say top 3 at being the worst of its handling of its characters.

This is not my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    The consequences are completely gone if everything is just erased at the end. I don't like the idea of this new thing having some "matter of fact" effect on a finished story that I like in anyway.
    What people are trying to argue here is:

1) No pruning system: The bad guy's goal is to totally destroy the world (as is typical of pure villain antagonists in fantasy stories). The planet, and every living being on it, will be wiped out if he succeeds. Nothing remains. In the end, he accomplishes his goal, everything is destroyed. The overall world remains "existant", but everything you knew of it is gone, it's just a void now.

2) Pruning system: The bad guy's goal is to totally destroy the world. Same as scenario 1). But in the end, if he accomplishes his goal, when the next QTL comes around (100 year periods) then the timeline will be pruned. So now he succeeds, the entire world is wiped out along with all life. The overall world exists in the form of the same "void" as in scenario 1), but when the QTL comes around, this world where nothing exists anymore is now erased altogether.

You're arguing that 1) is so much more impactful and somehow has more consequences than 2). They both go through the exact same thing, it's just that in the end when there's no more to get out of the world, 2) deletes it.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    but still the characters are more devices for the philosophy as opposed to the other way round as is the case in Zero and UBW IMO. In any case, I like the revelations of Zero and UBW, so...
    That's odd since that's exactly the kind of problems I had with Urobuchi's works, the fact that his characters tend to behave more like concepts that served as mouthpieces for his philosophical views rather than coming off as living, breathing people. And unfortunately, Fate/Zero wasn't an exception to that.

Blog Entries
    characters being mouthpieces for philosophical views is good, actually
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    What people are trying to argue here is:

1) No pruning system: The bad guy's goal is to totally destroy the world (as is typical of pure villain antagonists in fantasy stories). The planet, and every living being on it, will be wiped out if he succeeds. Nothing remains. In the end, he accomplishes his goal, everything is destroyed. The overall world remains "existant", but everything you knew of it is gone, it's just a void now.

2) Pruning system: The bad guy's goal is to totally destroy the world. Same as scenario 1). But in the end, if he accomplishes his goal, when the next QTL comes around (100 year periods) then the timeline will be pruned. So now he succeeds, the entire world is wiped out along with all life. The overall world exists in the form of the same "void" as in scenario 1), but when the QTL comes around, this world where nothing exists anymore is now erased altogether.

You're arguing that 1) is so much more impactful and somehow has more consequences than 2). They both go through the exact same thing, it's just that in the end when there's no more to get out of the world, 2) deletes it.
    But that's not what happens. Bad guy wins= total cataclysmic annihilation only occurs in FGO's story really, in which case yeah, a cosmic RetGone on top of that doesn't really change much. But Kirei or Amakusa or even Twice succeeding does leave something further to build on. Heck, even Velber sending a second White Titan wouldn't instantly annihilate everyone. You could build a good eschatological story dealing with the last few (unknowingly doomed or not) survivors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    characters being mouthpieces for philosophical views is good, actually
    How do you figure that?
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Kirei was going to kill everyone.

And Amakusa doesn't leave room to build on either, that's the whole deal with his plan, the "downside" is that he's skipping to the end of human advancement, there's no more future after that.

Blog Entries
    why would it not be good?
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

It's better if it's the other way round, that is the philosophical views boost/underpin characters. I get the distinction may get kinda murky.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    But that's not what happens. Bad guy wins= total cataclysmic annihilation only occurs in FGO's story really, in which case yeah, a cosmic RetGone on top of that doesn't really change much. But Kirei or Amakusa or even Twice succeeding does leave something further to build on. Heck, even Velber sending a second White Titan wouldn't instantly annihilate everyone. You could build a good eschatological story dealing with the last few (unknowingly doomed or not) survivors.
    It's an example, not every case of pruning explained. But so far, most big bad plans that would've resulted in pruning if they succeeded fits within this example.

Besides, what you're arguing is pretty moot, considering that we already have stories that are pruned phenomena, in case you forgot. So I don't know what the big deal about "they can't ever write the continuation" is.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Then if the world still have a possibility to move forward then it will continue, simple. Thought kirei and amakusa’s are oretty much a definite end if they accomplish it. You make it sound like the worlds get pruned the second any bad guys wins or something, it just means it won’t be given the energy to continue after the next QTL.

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I don't really care either way, I was arguing in favor of the original position that adding new stuff, like Quantum Timelocks, that ex post facto alter the conclusion of older stories is in itself a bad thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    why would it not be good?
    You tell me, you're the one making a assertion. I was just asking for the rationale behind it.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    I don't really care either way, I was arguing in favor of the original position that adding new stuff, like Quantum Timelocks, that ex post facto alter the conclusion of older stories is in itself a bad thing.
    And how do QTL alter the conclusion of past stories?