Page 310 of 388 FirstFirst ... 210260300305308309310311312315320360 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,200 of 7759

Thread: Things that annoy you in TM

US Friend Code
    Wasnt there a statement is the Lostroom material that the pruning phenomenon comes from "Humanity" instead of the universe in general. Its not a rule of how the universe works, but instead of how the universe works for humans?

I mean it fits with the ideas of Prime Ones anyhow. Alongside with how HS are also another phenomenon of Humanity.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Wasnt there a statement is the Lostroom material that the pruning phenomenon comes from "Humanity" instead of the universe in general. Its not a rule of how the universe works, but instead of how the universe works for humans?

I mean it fits with the ideas of Prime Ones anyhow. Alongside with how HS are also another phenomenon of Humanity.
    "The Human Order Incineration by the King of Magic was performed by him alone, but the Pruning Phenomenon is conducted by human history itself, pages which are incinerated by the collective will of humanity"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    So far the system does seem completely restricted to the solar system, Extella even says that the it wouldn't have enough energy to survive long without pruning. Not Earth or the universe, the solar system.
    I think Mizukume has talked about the concept of a universe of awareness before, relating to this.

Basically it seems like this is all restricted to the Human Order and aliens may or may not have their own systems.

I wonder if humanity ever reached the Age of Will and took to the stars, its universe would and start to conflict with other's?
    And then we have the Cosmos Tree containing a miniature universe with galaxies and stuffs (it even bursts gamma rays like real galaxies so it seems to be real things stored in the tree for some reason), and the tree can be used to replace the pan-human history timeline. Shit doesn't make any sense lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    "The Human Order Incineration by the King of Magic was performed by him alone, but the Pruning Phenomenon is conducted by human history itself, pages which are incinerated by the collective will of humanity"
    Speaking of Goetia, Skadi did said something similar to Scathach in the trial quest, about the work of bleaching the planet and maintaining the Lostbelts is beyond Authorities of gods, just like the incineration by Goetia, a Beast. Makes me wonder if it's just a Scathach reference or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    From a perspective of a system that governs the progress of timelines, what use is there to support a timeline that will not change or progress any further? It’s not a matter wheter it’s good for the people in it or not.
    In that case, what's the purpose of progress and change?

(Other than "so we can produce more story arcs and spinoffs.")
    Last edited by Walnut Sparks; December 13th, 2018 at 12:42 PM.
    O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    IDK but the gardener in charge of the time tree really wants humanity to make it to space

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    I like it because without this we'd be back to "EVERYTHING GOES BECAUSE KALEIDOSCOPE"
    And then there's Kotomine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    That's just unlucky he got hit by a QTL.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walnut Sparks View Post
    In that case, what's the purpose of progress and change?

(Other than "so we can produce more story arcs and spinoffs.")
    Do you think pruning takes away the meaning of progress? I mean, no matter how much progress is made, the universe is still going to end someday anyhow. If there's a limited amount of energy, I don't see the harm in cutting the supply of worlds that have reached their happy ending early for the sake of worlds still striving to reach theirs.

It's a shitty system, no doubt, but considering the circumstances, it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    IDK but the gardener in charge of the time tree really wants humanity to make it to space
    I've been thinking for a while now that it is precisely because of the Pruning phenomenon. The world that manages to leave Earth will have more energy to spare, instead of relying on a single solar system, they can rely on as many stars as they can reach, massively delaying or maybe countering the possibility of being pruned altogether.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I'm not sure which is worse, that we're mixing up actual scientific energy with mumbo jumbo destiny potential energy that fuels parallel timelines, or that Nasu is the one doing the mixing. Either option gives me a headache.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

US Friend Code
    I don't have a problem with pruning as a part of the setting metaphysics, but the way it has retroactively affected some stories does bother me. Like knowing that if Amakusa won in Apo or Kirei won in Fate that the timeline would get deleted kind of takes some of the wind out of the story, to me.

Would that have happened though?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I don't have a problem with pruning as a part of the setting metaphysics, but the way it has retroactively affected some stories does bother me. Like knowing that if Amakusa won in Apo or Kirei won in Fate that the timeline would get deleted kind of takes some of the wind out of the story, to me.
    Knowing that if the antagonists had won there would have been a bad ending for the story takes the wind out of it?

ETA: I mean, I could understand that feeling if the conflicts in those stories had been presented as morally grey ones, but that's not the case with either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Knowing that if the antagonists had won there would have been a bad ending for the story takes the wind out of it?
    It deletes the chance of Mad Max style spin off.

ETA: I mean, I could understand that feeling if the conflicts in those stories had been presented as morally grey ones, but that's not the case with either of them.
    I think the train of thought is that the world being pruned if the bad guy wins means there's just nothing left. There are no consequences for the world to live with, no nothing, because nothing will exist anymore, so it's all just pointless then.

But then, you could say it's the same (for those whom it matters to) when the stakes are literal world-ending schemes too, but nobody complains about those so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madarra View Post
    It deletes the chance of Mad Max style spin off.
    Kirei: There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise: just walk away. Leave the Grail, and I spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have one full day to decide.

Issei: What is it with you, huh? What are you looking for? Come on, Shirou. Everybody's looking for something. You're happy out there? Are you? Wandering, one day blurring into another? You're a scavenger, Shirou. You're a maggot. Did you know that? You're living off the corpse of the old world.

US Friend Code

I know what you're getting at, and the same thought came to me as I was writing my post. I'm not sure why the pruning part bothers me so much more when it would have been a bad end anyway without the pruning. But it does.

I guess it's what Savepoints is getting at. I haven't really thought into why it bugs me beyond that it does.
    Last edited by Reign; December 13th, 2018 at 04:30 PM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Cause the Bad Guy "wouldn't" win because their end of the world would be irrelevant compared to pruning?

It's like, if the good guys lose, nothing happened. That entire history gets deleted. So we only have Good and Normsl Ends

Bad Guys can't win, Moriarty was right

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ^ So like when you use save scum tactics to avoid the Bad Ends, how very Meta...
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Those are usually the stakes.
    If a bad guy wins, bad things happen.
    If the good guy wins, good things happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I know what you're getting at, and the same thought came to me as I was writing my post. I'm not sure why the pruning part bothers me so much more when it would have been a bad end anyway without the pruning. But it does.
    I kind of see where you're coming from. It'd be like having one of those philosophical dilemmas where you're forced to choose between torturing a terrorist to find out where a bomb is or let ten innocent people get blown up, and then adding "Oh by the way, if you pick torture the terrorist's friends come by and get revenge by dropping an even bigger bomb that blows up 10x as many people".

It takes a potentially fascinating and complex moral dilemma (whether one can be justified in committing evil to prevent a greater evil) and simplifies it into a crude matter of self-preservation. In the same way, I think Sieg and Jeanne's decision to reject Amakusa's ideals has a lot more moral weight if you assume those ideals would genuinely have worked as intended, rather than being undone by some totally unknowable Diabolus-Ex-Machina.