Thread: The Great Heracles Hunt (Game Thread)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

The Great Heracles Hunt (Game Thread)

The Great Heracles Hunt

April 11, 1963
    Morning Phase

It was a deceptively calm Thursday morning in Sicily, with the usual tensions, grievances and vast capacity for violence within the twisted hearts of human beings stirring, longing for an...explosive outlet. So things had been since the execution of
    Cesare Manzella and Calcedonio Di Pisa by the La Barberas clan due to the mishandling of an ill-fated heroin shipment, sparking what would later be called the First Mafia War. And so things continued, despite the release of Pope John XIII's final encyclical, Pacem in terris (Peace on Earth), addressed to all men of good will, which stipulated that conflicts "should not be resolved by recourse to arms, but rather by negotiation" and that "every man has the right to life, to bodily integrity, and to the means which are suitable for the proper development of life..."

For magi, of course, what the Church says is of little relevance, given that it is a rival faction in the moonlit world - and that for the last few years, the proliferation of imitation "Holy Grail" rituals means the Church is unable to regulate or intervene in most of them. Sicily will soon bear witness to the machinations of a few such individuals, given that Agrigento, far to the south, is the home of the Valley of Temples, where ancient artifacts - including the world-famous Temple of Heracles - can be found, and in advance of one of these wars, magi seek a good catalyst.
    Some will arrive by air, at the Catania-Fontanarossa Airport in Catania, in the East. Some will arrive by ferry in Palermo, the capital of Sicily. Both, of course, will need to take a coach or car upon arrival to reach Agrigento in the South...

Morning Phase instructions
    PM to me the following

1. Which city you will be arriving in. (Each starting city has different conditions - in Palermo, you begin in town, while at Catania, you are at the airport a distance outside of it)
    2. What you will do with your three turns for the morning phase. Note the costs for the following activities - with other actions, you may decide on how many turns to spend:
    - Go into town (1 turn) (Only available from Catania)
    - Travel to other town (2 turns)
    - Travel to Agrigento (2 turns)
    - Travel directly to the Valley of Temples (3 turns)

As an example of this:
    1. Arrive in Catania
    2. Travel to Agrigento by coach (or car) (2 turns)
    Find lodging in Agrigento (1 turn)

This will use up the morning phase, and leave you with 3 turns in the afternoon, for most people. Note that when you decide to head to Agrigento is up to you, however, so you can have something that looks like...

1. Arrive in Palermo
    2. Explore town and learn about any news or rumors (2 turns)
    Travel to Agrigento by coach (or car) (2 turns)

This means you will arrive in mid-afternoon phase, and have fewer actions available than usual.

Orders will be resolved when all are sent in, and I will send you an outcome to post about. If you have questions, post in the Discussion thread

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Charles Harrison
    April 11, 1963 (Day 1)

Mid-afternoon

I climb out of the box and take a deep breath of fresh air.

"Thank god I'm outta that thing!" I gasp. Why'd I have to choose the container full of dates?! I don't like exotic fruits! Actually, come to think of it, I actually do like exotic fruits, I just really hate dates. And the scent… "At least I got out of Greece without another mage attempting to blow me up or kill me in some other horrific fashion."

And it really was that bad. A major haul of mystic codes, gone. All I wanted was to get my hands on some treasure, but no~. I nearly got diced into cubes by ancient trap mechanisms six times, and those bastards didn't even steal them! They destroyed them like so much garbage! I heaved out a sigh. Why do all mages have to be insane? Is it a career requirement? Because if so, I didn't get the memo.

If I was honest with myself, I knew I was overreacting. I knew plenty of perfectly decent mages, but every magecraft wielding scumbag in Greece had tried to kill me in some way. At least I still had my luggage, not that there's anything of value to a mage in there, no thanks to those psychopaths in Crete. And of course the damn thieves outside Athens. Well, at least they got something out of it. And they whispered about the Valley of Temples in Agrigento in hushed tones that they thought I couldn't hear. Some mages are smart, and their folly is their hubris. These ones were just thugs. I doubt they've even made it out of Greece.

Heck, I couldn't even get to an airport without being assaulted. Thus, the whole smuggling myself into Agrigento in a crate that was meant to be carrying dates. Instead, it carried me… and my bags. At least I'm here well ahead of schedule. And Porta Empedocle was actually closer to the archaeological site than any legal transportation.

Someone was going to notice that their ugly brown fruits are missing pretty soon so I'd best be off. Goodbye, Fruitbox. You may have smelled terrible, and not even been a particularly comfortable box either, but for a time, you were my box. I'd keep you, but I'd be arrested. Also, you're very heavy and smell terrible.

I reminded myself to stay focused. No need to get distracted by the prospect of owning more stuff.

I had no idea what this whole thing was about, so I'll need to figure all this out as I go along. Hopefully I'll be able to find some clues.

I hail a taxi and head to the dig site. It doesn't take too long to arrive. I collect my bags from the trunk, pay the cab driver, and prepare to implement the plans I made over the past few days. It was time to get to work.
    Last edited by Draconic; October 12th, 2016 at 01:47 PM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Jaime Lorenzo Rodriguez
    Day 1
    Morning

Agrigento at last. The journey had been long - first the ferry from Barcelona to Palermo, then the bus to here -, but it was nothing compared to the road still ahead of Jaime Lorenzo Rodriguez: the Holy Grail War. In this city, he would find a relic with which he could summon the greatest Greek hero, protagonist of so many stories his mother told him when he was - for so brief a time - a child. With Herakles' strength at his side, Jaime would definitely achieve his wish.

And so, with thoughts of nothing but the search for the relic and the upcoming War on his mind, Jaime searched the city for a place where he could set up base - somewhere he wouldn't involve innocent people if he were found and attacked by rival magi. All the beauties of the city where the past and the present merged in its very bones, the pleasant sociability of natives and tourists alike, none of it registered on the young Spaniard's driven mind.

Finally, he found what he deemed the perfect location: the city's subterranean labyrinth of water channels! It was locked, of course, but that was nothing to a magi. For a moment, he hesitated: what right did he have to flout the laws of the natural world with his magical abilities? But no, he couldn't stop in front of such a weak obstacle - would he not have to do much worse than that when fighting for the Grail?

Steeling his resolve, he entered the labyrinth to explore it, ready to take it as his base of operations.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; October 21st, 2016 at 11:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Irina Zimmermann
    April 11, 1963 (Day 1)
    Mid-afternoon

Stepping off the plane at the airport in Catania, I took a deep breath of balmy, humid Mediterranean air, the salty tinge floating in from the vast waters tickling my nostrils in an alien yet welcoming way. The air never smelt like this where I come from, where endless stretches of glassy plains and jagged mountains filled the atmosphere with the sharpness of pine leaves during the summer, and froze the air free of all water during snow-covered winters. This new, flirtatious air was making me feel adventurous just by being here, and I couldn't help but stop outside the main doors of the airport terminals with my bags and closed my eyes indulgently, letting the soft ocean breeze play with my short, auburn hair.

The signs of mid-spring was already settling in in Sicily, unlike my native Germany, where the land had just started to shrug off the ever-present grasp of winter. Despite my goal on this island being far away from this town, I really couldn't resist the temptation of exploring the land and the people more, and decided to head into the township of Catania before heading towards Agrigento. After all, I would like this trip to be a holiday as well as a serious excursion. My decision was, I believe, justly rewarded, as I picked up some good tourism brochures that outline the tourist attractions and good hotels in the area around Agrigento.

With my desire to play tourist sated, it was after lunch when I stepped onto the bus that would bring me to Agrigento, the tourists brochures in hand, and I took my time on the bus sinking into meditation and contemplating the prospects of an actual, 'Holy Grail' war. The term has been used far too often after the ritual was revealed from Japan, and it seemed each new War was allowed more and more deviations from the original version. What would this one be like? Who would be tempted to participate? Would it be possible for potential participants to know, or have met each other, before the actual start? I sighed and closely my eyes, letting my body sink into the (not very comfortable) sea of the bus, and allowed the information I gathered in Catania to slowly re-arrange themselves in my head.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blackdeath6031's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Anwar Fattah Naguib
    April 11, 1963 (Day 1)
    Mid-Afternoon

Museo Civio, Museo Archeologico Regionale, Tempio Rupestre...

"Ahh, there we go. Piazzale dei Templi."

Moistening his lips, Anwar's left hand stopped flipping the pages of his notebook. He had gone through it over and over on his way here so far, but somehow his untidy handwriting or the mess of faded graphite under it had yet to bore him.

Templo di Hera... Templio della Concordia... Villa Aurea... Templo di Ercole.

The Middle Eastern man blinked.

Temple of Heracles.
    Circa 6BC (Most ancient temple?)
    Constructed by Theron (?)
    Restored during Roman period with modifications.

Tch.
    No matter how many times he looked at the page, no matter how many times he flipped back and forth from it, the section didn't fill itself up beyond those four lines. Even if his eyes told him that there were double that number, he knew that such things were just a sign to rest up for now.

Pushing his notebook snugly into a compartment wide enough for it in his suitcase, Anwar closed his eyes and rubbed them with his middle finger and thumb. He had been used to rougher driving. He had been used to rowdier places. And he had been used to hotter climates.

However, despite putting on the tiring guise of a "curious tourist", all he ended up with was those four lines for the location, and little else of relevance for the rest. How could anyone call that worthwhile? His engines were revving when he hopped on the bus after touching down, but when the Valley is still out of sight and the number of times the notebook's been read reaching double digits, he almost felt like a car with the pedal on the metal but with the parking brakes on.

Almost. With this he can finally prove the worth of his research. But the search had only started and it already felt too daunting a task.

Reaching out his hand from the backmost seat of the bus, Anwar noticed a white building gradually getting larger in the distance before him. Opening his palm, he covered the sight of the building and firmly closed it, as though he was grabbing the building.

The time has come. It is daunting, but he will do it.

Bidding the driver with a nod of thanks as he stepped down from the bus, Anwar took a deep breath. It was not an eternity, but it felt like it had been that long since he had tasted the fresh air entering his lungs and lighting a fire in his head. He was at the starting line, and he was prepped. Now, first stop, the Temple.
    Feeling like nothing in the world could stop him, Anwar took his first step then stopped.

That presence....A magus?

He sharply turned, bringing his hand to his waist as he did, to find...

...What seemed like a stereotypical drunkard in a red coat, staggering off a bus, stationing themselves on a bench, drop their masssive bag and stop moving.

Anwar furrowed his brow and looked closely at the man from where he was.
    Keh, letting out an exasperated scoff, Anwar relaxed his stance. To go straight to sleeping after getting to such a spot, some tourist he is. I have no time to spend on such fools.

Shaking his head at the man, Anwar cursed him for ruining his earlier resoluteness and trudged his way to Templo di Ercole.

Ulz Schermer
    April 11, 1963 (Day 1)
    Early-Morning

“Thank you for flying Air Congo, African’s newest option for international travel!” I glared at the overly cheerful stewardess as passengers pushed past her in an effort to escape the glory that was, if I had anything to say about it, it would become Africa’s newest bankrupt airline. After being rerouted four times for ‘uncontrolled weather delays,’ and the lack of any real service on the plane from the inexperience staff, I would rather swim my way across the Mediterranean, and walk across all of Africa bare naked then get back on that another flight with Air Congo. And based on the mummers from the other passengers, I am not the only one that rethinking their return plans.

Oh well, I guess I should be grateful that there is still an airline that flights out of Congo at this point. Things have really gone down hill since Belgium has betrayed us, and pulled out of Congo two years ago, granting us our “independence.” Yeah, thanks for that independence, my homeland is still in civil war because of the power vacuum that erupted from that move. You have caused the deaths of thousands and countless amount of pain and suffering. But such is life in the Schermer family, always going from one war to the next. Paying the blood price for our Patron, now until the day of Ragnarok. Our methods of war might have changed since the time of Gaul but the Schermer family stills bleeds the same no matter the war.

Because war never changes.

“A storm forged in the Heavens,” a voice calls out behind me, interrupting my thoughts as I walk thru the airport lobby.

In a daze, I found myself answering the saying that was ingrained into my very soul, “We thunder down to War.”

Coming out of my thoughts, I turn and look at the young man that called out to me. I could tell that he was a Schermer with the tell tale red hair even if he lacked the traditional beard, due to his age.

“Umm, its good to finally meet a true Schermer, after mother passed away.” He wilted at my hard look but managed to remember his forgotten required introduction. “Battle brother, I am Baldarich, head of the main branch.”And then whispered, “Not that matters much as I am the only one left of the Belgium line”

Ignoring his faux pas, I finished the required ritual,“Well met fellow battle brother, I am Ulz, heir to the Belgium-Congo Branch.” formalities over, I slap him on the back. “It is nice to finally meet you as well, little bro.”

“I have to say sir that it is an honor that you are letting me come along on this adventure.” Baldarich paused and looked around at the crowd around us and whispered, “Even if I was born without the family ability.”

“Little bro, I know that while the dutch branches might say otherwise, but you should still know this. The same blood pumps thru your body as does mine; ability or not you are still a Schermer. And in war, all are equal. Courage matters more on the battlefront in the end then being born with the tools necessary to weld the likes of a sword.”

Baldarich eyes lit up at my words. “Then I will do my best to not disappoint you. I have study all my life for this moment, Ulz, I want to pull my weight.”

“Be that it may, this is not your war, little bro. Things might get messy with the likes of the Church or the Tower getting involved and I do not want to cause the death of the direct line on a damn fool crusade for past glory. You might have to stay back and go home if things get bad. But until then you are free to stay with me.”

“You don’t have to worry about me, Ulz. I know when its time to retreat.” My little bro stops and pulls out a small worn notebook, “Meanwhile we need to make our plans. We will have to change some of my plans since you were delayed as you were supposed to arrived yesterday.”

“Well, its not my fault that Air Congo had so many delays. Still we can make up time if we hurry.”

“Indeed. I have a car waiting to take us to Valle dei Templi. We can arrive in a few short hours if all goes accordingly.”

“Sounds good,” I said as we walked out of the airport. I take a moment to look around at Catonia’s skyline. While its seem typical for an European city it did have one feature that seem to dominate its skyline. There is the middle of the skylight rose a giant mountain that seemed to be covered in a small ribbons of light near the top. So of course I had to asked my comrade about it.

“That would be the Mt. Etna, the largest active volcano in all of Europe. The locals tell tales of the forges of Hesphaestus is located somewhere under the mountain as well as the place that Zeus trapped the monster Typhon in. Its a tourist location.”

I stroked my beard in thought, “Little bro, grab a shovel. We are going to visited Mt. Etna. Any place that is a forged for Hesphaestus has to have something we need for our quest!”

“But why? Surely anything of valued would have been discovered by now and would be in a museum. I know of a lovely place outside of town that has some nifty artifacts or we can visit the Regional Archeological Museum Antonio Salinas in Palermo as that has the largest display of Greek artifacts on the island.”

“No, no, no. That will not do as there is no adventure to be had by simply walking into a museum. We have to knock on the very hall of the gods themselves if we want to restore our family to its former glory. Visiting the location where Hesphaestus forged the mighty bolt of Zeus is the place that we need to go!”

My comrade let out a small sigh and agreed to my cunning plan and with that we were off to seek our fortune and glory. With a grin on my a face I took in a big breath of air as I entered into the waiting car. There was a certain electric charge in the air itself.

A new battlefield awaits.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; October 16th, 2016 at 03:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Kuuya Amakase
    Day 1
    Morning

"Attention passengers we will be arriving at our destination shortly, please prepare yourselves and get for docking procedures."

The sounds of the waves gently rocking the boat put Kuuya at ease. To him there was nothing greater than the sound of the ocean, the salt of the sea, the breeze tinged with perfect bliss. It was through this and more that surfaced old memories of a happier time, a time when there was nothing he could not do. The sight of the approaching landmass returned him to his senses as he continued to glance outward on the exterior passenger lane of the ship. Glancing around he saw a multitude of folks going about their daily lives completely unaware of the danger so close to them. Being out in the sun like this used to bring Kuuya so much happiness but now the constant uncomfortable sensation that threatened to incinerate the abnormal magus was a cause for concern. Because of this Kuuya only rarely stood out in broad daylight usually only when out on the open ocean like today.

'So then, looks like this boats full o' normies, what do you think we should do?'

'Kill them all... Kill... Hunger... More...'

As if asking this question to nobody in particular the reply given was nothing out of the ordinary, this was after all a part of the curse.

'Yeah yeah I hear you, well unfortunately I've got some things to do so we're gonna have to put that on hold, maybe another time.'

Ignoring the voice's command Kuuya stepped off the ship and continued to walk among the crowd of people until he reached the small bus terminal. His crimson coat styled in the fashion of the pirates of old was drawing numerous stares from people but he cared little about what they thought of him. He was used to it at this point, as a wanderer he was bound to attract plenty of stares after all.

'This should be the place that leads to the temple, what do you think?'

'Murder them all! Blood, we must take it and nourish ourselves! Stronger, stronger still!'

Ignoring the voice's command Kuuya handed over the required currency and received the bus ticket while making his way to the appropriate vehicle.

'Eh, I'm too tired to mess around like that, I think I'm just gonna take a nap or something instead.'

Stepping onto the bus Kuuya found a quiet spot where the passengers had thinned and took his seat placing the briefcase he had been holding right by his side.

A few minutes later the bus lurched forwards and he was off. With the sounds of the waves now fading the fatigue that had been gathering in Kuuya immediately began to surface and the great desire for sleep overcame. It would be quite some time before he reached his destination at the Temple Valley, until that moment he would not waste any time in gathering the needed energy.

'These humans are worthless, their bodies will fade and die worthlessly, without a care in the world they will waste all their energies doing nothing more than what is deemed worthless. Fight them, kill them, gather them, strengthen yourself, recieve the power to avenge us. Fight, Fight! FIGHT!'

The beeping sound of the door opening and Kuuya snapped back awake once more. From the looks of things and the more desolate areas around him it appeared as if he had arrived at his destination.

'Jeez buddy I appreciate the enthusiasm but could you quiet it down a little? The nightmares get a little boring after seeing them for the hundredth time.'

Still completely exhausted from the day's journey and with nightfall a ways away Kuuya stumbled his way off the bus and onto a nearby bench where after confirming he still held his briefcase he once more began to fall asleep. He was far too tired to pay any attention to the penetrating stares of the tourists around him, rather he was more preoccupied with staying in the shade. Even as a man of the sea traveling across water was no easy feat for Kuuya, that weakness combined with the fact that his strength was the sea itself meant that the farther he was away from it the more easily he grew tired. Still there would be a time for action, for now it was simply waiting and returning once more to the nightmares that assaulted him every time he slept.

- - - Updated - - -

Kuuya Amakase
    Day 1
    Morning

"Attention passengers we will be arriving at our destination shortly, please prepare yourselves and get for docking procedures."

The sounds of the waves gently rocking the boat put Kuuya at ease. To him there was nothing greater than the sound of the ocean, the salt of the sea, the breeze tinged with perfect bliss. It was through this and more that surfaced old memories of a happier time, a time when there was nothing he could not do. The sight of the approaching landmass returned him to his senses as he continued to glance outward on the exterior passenger lane of the ship. Glancing around he saw a multitude of folks going about their daily lives completely unaware of the danger so close to them. Being out in the sun like this used to bring Kuuya so much happiness but now the constant uncomfortable sensation that threatened to incinerate the abnormal magus was a cause for concern. Because of this Kuuya only rarely stood out in broad daylight usually only when out on the open ocean like today.

'So then, looks like this boats full o' normies, what do you think we should do?'

'Kill them all... Kill... Hunger... More...'

As if asking this question to nobody in particular the reply given was nothing out of the ordinary, this was after all a part of the curse.

'Yeah yeah I hear you, well unfortunately I've got some things to do so we're gonna have to put that on hold, maybe another time.'

Ignoring the voice's command Kuuya stepped off the ship and continued to walk among the crowd of people until he reached the small bus terminal. His crimson coat styled in the fashion of the pirates of old was drawing numerous stares from people but he cared little about what they thought of him. He was used to it at this point, as a wanderer he was bound to attract plenty of stares after all.

'This should be the place that leads to the temple, what do you think?'

'Murder them all! Blood, we must take it and nourish ourselves! Stronger, stronger still!'

Ignoring the voice's command Kuuya handed over the required currency and received the bus ticket while making his way to the appropriate vehicle.

'Eh, I'm too tired to mess around like that, I think I'm just gonna take a nap or something instead.'

Stepping onto the bus Kuuya found a quiet spot where the passengers had thinned and took his seat placing the briefcase he had been holding right by his side.

A few minutes later the bus lurched forwards and he was off. With the sounds of the waves now fading the fatigue that had been gathering in Kuuya immediately began to surface and the great desire for sleep overcame. It would be quite some time before he reached his destination at the Temple Valley, until that moment he would not waste any time in gathering the needed energy.

'These humans are worthless, their bodies will fade and die worthlessly, without a care in the world they will waste all their energies doing nothing more than what is deemed worthless. Fight them, kill them, gather them, strengthen yourself, recieve the power to avenge us. Fight, Fight! FIGHT!'

The beeping sound of the door opening and Kuuya snapped back awake once more. From the looks of things and the more desolate areas around him it appeared as if he had arrived at his destination.

'Jeez buddy I appreciate the enthusiasm but could you quiet it down a little? The nightmares get a little boring after seeing them for the hundredth time.'

Still completely exhausted from the day's journey and with nightfall a ways away Kuuya stumbled his way off the bus and onto a nearby bench where after confirming he still held his briefcase he once more began to fall asleep. He was far too tired to pay any attention to the penetrating stares of the tourists around him, rather he was more preoccupied with staying in the shade. Even as a man of the sea traveling across water was no easy feat for Kuuya, that weakness combined with the fact that his strength was the sea itself meant that the farther he was away from it the more easily he grew tired. Still there would be a time for action, for now it was simply waiting and returning once more to the nightmares that assaulted him every time he slept.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Jaime Lorenzo Rodriguez
    Day 1
    Afternoon

The banging sound of a hammer hitting an avil echoed inside Jaime's mind, opening the floodgates for his magical energy to flow through his circuits. His senses enhanced to their utmost, he started exploring the labyrinth.

He didn't find much of interest after a few hours of exploration: mostly caverns, collapsed tunnels (could they have led to the Valley of Temples? Impossible to say), and an ominous darkness which weighed heavily on him even with his night sight improved beyond human limits. The water-filled tombs and the old bunkers were great findings, though.

Jaime paused and pondered. This seemed like a good place for him to set up base, especially since it was far away from any other place where innocent people might get hurt; he was also certain he would be capable of sensing any approaching magus.

The decision taken, he laid down against the walls of one of the bunkers to rest for a few hours before he finished exploring the labyrinth...

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The Tunnels Beneath Agrigento
    Day 1, Afternoon

The wraith known as Assassin moved silently through the labyrinth beneath Agrigento, hidden by the shadows and of course, by something more - a form of concealment that no living human could hope to match. There was another present - one whose location was known to him because the other slept in darkness - and darkness was an extension of Assassin's very being.

Yet, it was not enough to know that another was there. Assassin liked to see the faces of his victims, after all, and though it had been many years, nay, centuries, since he spilled the blood of a human being, old habits died hard.

Making his way through the tunnels of the underground realm, the Servant noted the presence of water, blessed - or cursed - to boost the physical and prana regeneration of any human who imbibed it, close to a chamber that had once been a shelter, used in the wars of the humans of this modern age. In that chamber, a magus rested against one of the walls - a magus of considerable potential, enough to perhaps be a Master.

Whether or not the sleeping magus was a Master was immaterial though, for Assassin had been given orders, and as a Servant, he would obey.

With a gesture, the darkness formed into blades, skewering the victim a hundred times over and draining away his life, his magic, even his very soul, with the masked figure of Assassin materializing, shuddering in pleasure at the satisfaction of a delightful meal.

Jaime Lorenzo Rodriguez (SpoonyViking) deceased

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Anwar Fattah Naguib
    April 11, 1963 (Day 1)
    Late-afternoon

Perhaps it was foolish of him to have hoped that searching the Temple of Heracles would have gotten him some clue to the whereabouts of what he seeks.

Perhaps it was foolish of him to have even hoped that there'd be a clue in the most obvious place possible, in broad daylight.

Or perhaps it was just that he had taken the phrase of "Hiding trees in a forest" a tad bit too literally.

It is a shame that I was foolish to think that way, but this is just be beginning! Yes, mistakes are to be expected, but failures aren't!

While he had savoured a few moments of self-loathing for his mistake, the man straightened himself up and squatted a few metres away from the temple.

Slipping his hand into his robe, Anwar pulled out a clay gourd. The gourd didn't seem like too different from a somewhat large pitcher, of roughly half a metre's height, but was engraved with various symbols that appeared to a trained eye to be ancient Greek covering the surface.

Crouching down even lower, Anwar scooped up some sand and poured it into the gourd, and diligently continued in this labour, not giving any attention to the world. It felt as though he would continue forever, patiently and gently going through the motions. But after some time, his hand froze and his back visibly twitched.

A strong signature...a magus...?
    The man frowned and shut his eyes, but his eyeballs were still swinging from left to right and back, scanning the area for the specific source.
    Then their movement jolted to a halt.

There...
    His eyes slowly started moving, as if locked onto something.
    it's on the move...towards...
    Opening his eyes, Anwar acknowledged the destination of this signature.

Returning to his gourd, Anwar finished up his task, dusted himself off, then staggered, as though trying to suppress the anxiety in him, toward the Temple of Hephaestus.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Charles Harrison
    April 11, 1963 (Day 1)
    Late afternoon

In looking for a place to stay, I decided that there was no point in holing up somewhere that had only one exit immediately available. The last time I was in that situation I was beaten mercilessly and robbed blind. I can only imagine that consequences would be more severe here now that I'm closer to the prize those other mages were muttering about back in Greece.

The important thing to note was that though I found a defensible position below ground, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. If I'm going to tunnel my way through someplace, I want my chances of finding mystic codes to be higher than they would be in the catacombs. Which isn't to say there's nothing to find. I'll definitely come back later, just… I do have work to do here. I'd rather be hunting for treasure, but I made a resolution to preserve my integrity as a human being and I bloody well am going to stand by it.

"So, where to from here?" I wonder aloud.

"Oh!"

Of course, why didn't I think of it sooner? I could have saved myself some time and gone treasure hunting while I was at it! There are several places here that are likely to have a mystic code or another to replace the dozen I lost, and most of them are due west of my latest failed venture.

The Temple of Hephaestus is excellent in that regard, but then there's also the Temple of Asclepius. It's in a less accessible location and thus is more likely to have something useful to a magus. The same applies to the Sanctuary of Demeter, but that's in the opposite direction.

The Sanctuary of the Chthonic Divinities on the other hand would be a great place to search for mysteries. I'll mark that down on my list of locations to investigate as well. All that remained was to choose a place to start.

But there were so many wonderful options! How am I supposed to choose just one?! The American analogy about a child in a candy store feels appropriate. But in my case, I only have half a pound to spend.

Making my decision, I pick up my luggage and set off towards my next destination.

I suddenly get a prickling feeling in the back of my skull.

Not good. There's another mage nearby and I haven't even gotten myself set up again. It'd be nice to have a weapon too. The grappling hooks and climbing axes in my suitcase are wonderful things, but they don't help very much when someone's shooting you with gandr.

There are throngs of tourists here, I tell myself. No mage worth his salt would start something in full view of the public eye. On the other hand, he's started following me. Very, very not good. I pick up the pace. When I encounter anyone else, I'm going to do so on my own terms.

"Gah! I want to get back to searching for magic for fun and profit!" I mutter to myself.
    Last edited by Draconic; November 7th, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Anwar Fattah Naguib
    April 11, 1963 (Day 1)
    Late-afternoon

The magus is quickening his pace. Tch, he must have noticed me.

As the thought ran through his head, Anwar pursed his lips and resisted the urge to sneer. Noticing that his unprofessionalism, Anwar clenched his eyes shut for a few seconds and opened them again. He cannot afford to show his intentions to the world.

Controlling his pace, Anwar made sure he was acting no different from any of the other tourists, taking his notebook out and flipping through until he found a page with the same heading as his target's destination. There was little written beyond the basic information like the dating of it's construction, meaning of it's name and what may have happened there in the myths. But it was enough to keep some form of cover, plus he may be able to jot down some information he finds.

Pulling out his pen, Anwar scrutinised the surrounding areas and their landscape and design. Chances are there wasn't much here, much like the Temple of Heracles, but there must be a reason why a magus would be headed in this direction.

...Unless they didn't have a clue either.