Page 1 of 10 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving the Nest

Leaving the Nest

I am one of the lucky ones to be born into a world of swords and sorcery.
    Furthermore, I was born one of its apex predators.
    The great wings that cover the sky.
    That hoard the greatest treasures of the world.
    That are the bane of heroes and kings.

My name is Aethelendrial, and I am a Dragon.

All great wyrms start off somewhere. My existence began as a simple egg in my mother’s lair. I did not know my father. We dragons are a very prideful, territorial, and stubborn bunch. When you are the top, you don’t expect to be challenged by an equal. Having to tolerate the constant desires of someone else is fairly alien to us.

However, my mother did give me a century before I had to leave the nest. We still exhibit motherly urges, even if we know that clashing violently is inevitable. While we may grow to be the scourge of empires, we do still start off small and vulnerable. If not for my mother, I may have ended up as an adventurer’s pair of boots.

But after a century, and I had grown to be about the size of a house, it was time for me to leave. I have never looked forward to another point in my as much as this one. Though I had flown around the mountain a few times, at long last I was free to spread my wings and see what the world had to offer.

I no longer had to wonder what those mountains to the north held, what the little people to the east were doing, or what secrets lay beneath crumbling ruins. I could find all that out and more in a heartbeat.

The world was my play thing.

Despite the questions I’d harbored for decades, I instead decided to go west, over the sea. I wanted to surround myself with the most unknowns as possible. That, and I wanted to get far away from my mother.

Though I crossed the waters swifter than any vessel, it did give me time to think about what I wanted to do with myself. I had all the time and power in the world to do what I desired, the options were endless. There was one matter that came to mind quickly though. As I am sure the lesser races can relate, it is nice to have a place to call home.

And as a dragon, I could pick just about anywhere I wanted.

1) The classical cave beneath a mountain.
    2) The possibly even more classical dwarven ruin beneath a mountain.
    3) Ruin? I’m kicking the short-stouts out and claiming a fresh one.
    4) The closest castle I can find. What better way to express my power and claim some minions?
    5) Disguise myself as a softkin and woo my way into power.
    6) Find some people in peril and present myself as their savior/god.
    7) Kill another dragon and take his lair. best way to get started on my treasure hoard (Submitted by Tobias)
    8) Write in!

Last edited by Janx; November 5th, 2016 at 11:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    4 is tempting, but im going to go with

7 Kill another (preferably weak) dragon and take his lair. best way to get started on my treasure hoard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

We're a goddam dragon let's fucking do this
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

Collection of cherished moments
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'LL KILL YOU PLUE
    <Zagrin> I'll kill ya Plue

7. Pure, unadulterated dragon combat to the death!

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    7 sounds dangerous. Let's thing about this pragmatically. You're still relatively young for a dragon, and challenging another dragon would almost certainly result in death, particularly if you challenge one who already has a hoard, and who already has a firm hold on some territory, thus giving it a terrain advantage.

4 & 6 don't sound mutually exclusive. Who says you can't rescue imperilled people in a castle and rescue them. That way you get attention and adoration, minions, potential worshippers, and better yet, tales of your greatness will spread throughout the land. You might even get a band of adventurers on your side. Who needs to kill a dragon when they can kill it for you. Or at the very least, gife you a nice advantage. Of course, you'll keep all the treasure, maybe hand off a single magic item to your 'champions.' Then you'll have two lairs, a hoard, a way of drawing adventurers made of meat and treasure to their doom, and your helpers can go protect those people in the castle for you!

- - - Updated - - -

Also good would be that you could get news about other dragons and treasure from your minions.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    4 - find the closest castle. We're new to this and kidnapping a human female can't hurt, right?
    And hey bonus if we get to do 6 too.
    Last edited by Lycodrake; October 2nd, 2016 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well, yeah, we could do that? But what do we need her for? Incentive for them to pay tribute? Fear works for a while, but loyalty lasts much longer. They'll also listen to crazier demands if they like us.

So, yes, I'll be playing the roll of this dragon's inner pacifist coward this evening.
    Last edited by Draconic; October 2nd, 2016 at 07:48 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    No, no see if the human female has taste she'll like us anyway. We are a freaking dragon. She should be honored to be clutched in our talons as one of many pieces of treasure we aim to horde.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Seems like a tie between 7 and the sorta 4 +6 camp.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    No, no see if the human female has taste she'll like us anyway. We are a freaking dragon. She should be honored to be clutched in our talons as one of many pieces of treasure we aim to horde.
    Yeah, maybe, but remember that other dragon from the next mountain over? He kidnapped a fair maiden too, and an entire band of dragon slayers went and ripped him to pieces with giant lances! And he was older than we are now! Do we want to risk ending up like that?

We could woo a lady and convince her to come live with us, but do we want to risk developing an emotional attachment to a frail creature that lives for less than a century?
    Also, kidnapping one of them would probably undermine our intention to secure their loyalty. We would go from saviour to tyrant in a heartbeat.

That said, I still don't see why she wouldn't be honored to be considered one of pur treasures, but humans are strange like that. Being part of our hoard would be tremendous!
    But we still need to think about things carefully here.
    Last edited by Draconic; October 2nd, 2016 at 07:52 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Nuts to that. Find a old or weak dragon, drink his life's blood. Establish ourselves board, then we worry about minions or whatever. Burn, maim, rape, pillage! This world will tremble at our feet
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    6, we're still too young to be challenging other dragons.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Nuts to that. Find a old or weak dragon, drink his life's blood. Establish ourselves board, then we worry about minions or whatever. Burn, maim, rape, pillage! This world will tremble at our feet
    I mean no offense, but you're really bad at being a dragon, Tobias. Burning, maiming and pillaging is all well and good, but rape? Seriously? One of those ugly hairless apes? You have such terrible taste in mates. Also, aren't we a female dragon, Janx?
    And no, one must gain power in order to defeat another dragon. You go fight a true monster of unfathomable power and expect to win and then establish your power base? Madness. One can't acquire minions once one is dead, and we are not becoming a dracolich! I like being beautiful, thank you very much. I'm not being the coward anymore, I'm being our self-preservation instinct.

Furthermore, we're the size of a house right now, any dragon worth its salt will be three times our size. And a dragon doesn't get weaker with age, it just gets more dangerous. A great wyrm could probably bite clear through our neck without so much as a struggle, and without even needing to use its immense magical power. No dragon with its own hoard is weak. It's only a matter of how strong. Right now, we are strong, in comparison to a wyvern, or a horde of orcs, but compared to most dragons, we would be mincemeat just because they're that much more powerful. You must learn to see our kind with awe and terror until you know for certain you can defeat another.

And finally, the world will tremble at our claws. Not our feet; our claws. But otherwise I agree with you.

Incidentally, this poor dragon must think she's going crazy with all these voices in her head referring to her as 'us.'

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDIGIT View Post
    6, we're still too young to be challenging other dragons.
    This=good decision.
    Last edited by Draconic; October 2nd, 2016 at 09:57 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    actually I once played a surprisingly addictive game where you play a dragon working for the demon queen, said dragon's job it is to rape human girls to create monsters for said queens army. Hell I would recommend it if I could remember the name

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That sounds HORRIFYING!—and yet strangely intriguing. If you remember the name let me know. That said, you were still wreaking havoc amongst humans. Other dragons are much more dangerous than helpless humans. Nevertheless, we can't rape because we are a girl dragon.

Also, though I'm interested, that dragon had terrible taste and no draconic pride if he was the indentured servant of a lowly demon queen. We are superior to any demon, abyssal royalty or otherwise!
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Unknown continent
    Some mortal date and time
    Afternoon

It was not long before I had crossed the watery divide, and this new land, this new world, stretched out before me. It was a great expanse of green fields, dense forests, and rocky mountains. To the north seemed to loom an endless expanse of ice and snow. Despite my altitude, my keen vision gave me a detailed view of all which lay below me.

One thing that caught my eye, is that there seemed to be notably more of the lesser races inhabiting this continent. Perhaps it was just the vicinity to my mother’s castle, but I had the impression that there were less of them. This land seemed to have a number of sizable settlements, along with larger ones of stone. Its amazing how much effort the lesser races have to put into survival.

Feeling mischievous I dive bombed one of the villages, almost colliding with their town center before swooping back into the clouds. I almost snorted at the looks and cries of terror as they scattered like ants.

Yes, more so than just having the power to explore, toying with these lesser beings was going to be fun. I put my thoughts of finding a lair on hold for a bit as I decided to simply enjoy my place in this world.

After repeating the process a couple times however, I did get a bit bored of it. I started to search around to see if I could find them doing anything interesting.

My eyes eventually caught sight of smoke in the North. Curious, I soared over to investigate. It seemed something have ravaged the northern villages. Their homes were torn down and often smouldering. I almost wondered if it was caused by one of my kind until I found where the perpetrators had piled the bodies. Intrigued I follow the path of destruction further north until I found the perpetrators.

A vast army of little armored men lay fanned out before a large stone fortress built into the mountain cliffs. Their heavy, elaborate armored, combined with the colored and intricate banners their comrades held, attested to the wealth and power of their civilization.

Their opponents on the other hand, seemed less fortunate. Most of them were adorned in furrs with random scraps of armored adorned to them. Though they seemed larger and possessing weapons that looked like they actually might have a hope of putting a dent in me, they seemed fewer in number and poorly equipped compared to the forces besieging them. Though they enjoyed the sturdy stone walls of their fortress, their archers seem to be making little gains against the large shields of their opponents.

Furthermore, the armored ones seemed to be moving some sort of contraptions into position. I would later come know these devices as ‘catapults’, used to nullify the advantages of such walls.

Of course, as I soared above the battlefield, the attention of both sides seemed to turn to me. Slowly the arrows stopped flying, and the phalanxes stopped advancing. They knew the truth of things: their petty feuds were nothing compared to the judgement of a dragon.

After giving them a moment to think about what was about to transpire, I made my descent.

I had made my decision. I was going to change history today.

I swept down upon the metal men. Those directly in my path tried to flee, but even without their restrictive armor I was swifter than them. With a titanic roar, I let loose my deadly breath. The intensity of the mana that billowed forth was so intense it set the air itself ablaze, cooking the tin men in their suits. A number tried to raise their shields in defense, only to realize the futility.

Their lines shattered instantly. Any martial coordination was thrown to wind as I strafed across their ranks. I had no methodology to it, I didn’t care about efficiency, which perhaps made it even worse for them. I was unpredictable, striking from any angle and at any target that happened to catch my interest.

I did however, make special exception for the ones who were the most elaborately dressed. Assuming they were their leaders, I decided to carry them with me before giving them a long drop back to the earth.

In a matter of minutes I had turned their seemingly sure victory into utter defeat. They had been utterly helpless against me. Those few who tried to attack didn’t even so much as tickle.

I soared high into the sky and let loose a cry of victory. I was ecstatic. After all those years cooped up in a mountain, at last I was free to impose my will on this world. Nothing could stop me.

The barbarians began gathering in the courtyards and streets of their fortress, in awe of their unexpected savior. It was then an idea hit me:

Why find a lair and build up my hoard myself, when I could just have a bunch of minions do it for me?

Deciding to bless them with my presence, I suddenly dropped down onto the gatehouse before what seemed to be their main congregation. To its merit, it remarkably bore the impact.

After a few moments, an old man wearing a bear hide emerged from the crowd. He was barely out of the throng before he threw himself to the earth and groveled before me.

“Oh servant of the Three. We thank you for your timely arrive. We are forever in your debt!”

Most of the crowd seemed to follow suit, prostrating themselves before me. I reared up proudly, basking in their worship.

Yet there were those who did not bow before me. Most of them seemed to be warriors. Hulking specimens of their race wearing haphazard hides and bits of armor. The mightiest amongst them approached me, standing beside the groveling shaman. He however, showed little fear or reverence, seemingly ready to fight if I should strike.

“I am Oreyn Bearclaw, son of Asmund Bearclaw. Me and my people are in your debt, but you must forgive us if not all of us bend the knee so easily. What do you want with us, wyrm?”

1) I am a servant of your gods, come to protect you in this dire time.
    2) I just saved your ass, you should worship me.
    3) Eat him. I will not be questioned.
    4) Eat the shaman. While his obedience is admirable, I kind of like Oreyn’s guts more.
    5) Give me all your shinies!
    6) I demand a sacrifice!
    7) Who are these three you speak of (Submitted by GhostDigit)
    8) Write-in!
    Last edited by Janx; October 2nd, 2016 at 11:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    we can't rape because we are a girl dragon.
    where are you getting this idea?

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    "I know not of the three you speak of. I am Aethelendrial and I am servant to no one."

So just "Who are these three you speak of" for short.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    GhostDIGIT's 7 and something like "You must have seen victory in their grasp. It is by my whim that I decimated your foes. It is by my grace you are not dead. Think not so highly of yourself in standing before me."
    Last edited by Lycodrake; October 2nd, 2016 at 11:23 PM.
    F/GO SUPPORT