Page 51 of 203 FirstFirst ... 414649505152535661101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4045

Thread: Night of the TATARI: Wild Mass Guessing and What if's?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyarion View Post
    So... if you were to clone yourself -- since you're not going to experience what the clones do, are they somehow subhuman?

And that's just ordinary Servants. Saber = Artoria, she hasn't died yet from her perspective.
    Like I said, it's a matter of philosophy at this point.

If you load a dead person's thoughts onto a high end computer, this consciousness thinks he is still alive, and has everything the dead person has. The scenario is pretty much what Altria is in.

If you think she is alive, you are with leopard. If you think she is dead, you are with me. There's really no right/wrong here.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    But they aren't dead.
    Yes, they are. They just got summoned as Heroic Spirits. Who are there solely to fight and then die again....

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Yeah sure, but at the same time, King Arthur is standing right in front of Shirou, talking about how she wants to save her kingdom. For all purposes, at the moment we're talking about, they have full human emotions and reasoning, and should thus be treated like one.
    Well, I don't deny that, I'm just saying that, in the end, she is a servant, and thus is "supposed" to die. She was summoned for that purpose and from the moment she arrived it's the end she expected. So, it's hardly such a tragic end when it does. And, plus, there's every chance she's going to end up in Avalon anyway. Which is a hell of a lot better than being tortured to death and then having your soul chucked in the recycling bin to be wiped clean.

If you claim otherwise, then Shirou is a bad person for fighting in the Grail War at all, as is Rin. After all, they were quite happy with killing the servants, even if the masters were (usually) off-limits.

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    Artoria's body and timeline are frozen in time but she's still alive. She's been made a Servant while still being alive. So she is alive.
    If you claim otherwise, then Shirou is a bad person for fighting in the Grail War at all, as is Rin. After all, they were quite happy with killing the servants, even if the masters were (usually) off-limits.
    Shirou, you didn't save Sakura. You're going to jail. You don't cross the start line and get a $15,000 bonus.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
    Artoria's body and timeline are frozen in time but she's still alive. She's been made a Servant while still being alive. So she is alive.
    True, but by the same logic she wasn't actually killed in HF, because her soul goes straight back to her body again and she gets another chance.

However, ultimately the worst that can happen to her is that she achieves her wish (which she made) and then becomes a CG as a result. Which is her own damn fault, because she chose to make that wish, and never overcame it. Otherwise, she gets eternal life in Avalon. So, forgive me for not feeling remotely sorry for her....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post

If you load a dead person's thoughts onto a high end computer, this consciousness thinks he is still alive, and has everything the dead person has. The scenario is pretty much what Altria is in.

If you think she is alive, you are with leopard. If you think she is dead, you are with me. There's really no right/wrong here.
    So, what? If you replaced somebody's brain neuron by neuron with nanotechnology that serves exactly the same function, over the course of a year or so without the person noticing, then you just killed them? Or a person with a cochlear implant can't really hear?

And I guess that copy of Windows XP I have on my VM isn't really Windows XP, I'll have to call Microsoft and complain.

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    True, but by the same logic she wasn't actually killed in HF, because her soul goes straight back to her body again and she gets another chance.

However, ultimately the worst that can happen to her is that she achieves her wish (which she made) and then becomes a CG as a result. Which is her own damn fault, because she chose to make that wish, and never overcame it. Otherwise, she gets eternal life in Avalon. So, forgive me for not feeling remotely sorry for her....
    Baaaaaaw, I'm sad now.

She won't get another chance. The Grail is busted in HF. Plus, now she knows what the grail really is, so what's the point for her to use it?

I don't really see how this is philosophy. The Nasuverse is pretty heavily dependent on souls existing, which should place her body transfer pretty squarely on the side of "she's still alive."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Well, I don't deny that, I'm just saying that, in the end, she is a servant, and thus is "supposed" to die. She was summoned for that purpose and from the moment she arrived it's the end she expected. So, it's hardly such a tragic end when it does. And, plus, there's every chance she's going to end up in Avalon anyway. Which is a hell of a lot better than being tortured to death and then having your soul chucked in the recycling bin to be wiped clean.
    Humans are biologically supposed to die also, yet that doesn't make it any less sad when one of us dies. I don't see how the fact that their death is inevitable makes it less tragic.

Self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But we are not talking gradual here. If you incorporate changes gradually, they become part of "who they are". However, here we are talking about "BAM! MORTAL WOUND! Conscious-pulling-leaving-you-essentially-brain-dead".

Again, such debate can go on forever like all hardcore philosophical questions.

I don't really see how this is philosophy. The Nasuverse is pretty heavily dependent on souls existing, which should place her body transfer pretty squarely on the side of "she's still alive."
    It is more like "in limbo". She is in the middle of the transition process after dying, and the World is deciding which dead-soul zoo to throw her in (Throne/Fairy World/Guardian Barracks of the Throne).

EDIT:

Of course, important figures in Nasuverse never go through "soul-shredding-recycle". Death for these figures/Heroes is essentially "end of mortal life in the World", which is what happened to Altria.
    Last edited by food; May 8th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Yeah but she still learns from experience and changes unlike the other Heroic Spirits not named EMIYA.

Edit: also don't forget Nasu says she is alive so there.

She is in the middle of the transition process after dying,
    Unless Bedivere was hallucinating, Saber hasn't died yet.

Blog Entries
    She is in the middle of the transition process after dying
    That's a nope.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Unless Bedivere was hallucinating, Saber hasn't died yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    That's a nope.
    That's the World's equivalent of putting her body on ventilation. The World cannot pull the plug until the deal is done, and it figures out where to chuck her soul. She woke up for a moment and then was gone again because the deal was done and the plug was pulled.

No matter what the World did, she was not gonna stand up and walk among the living in that very era. She was dead, in the practical sense.

Blog Entries
    In the practical sense, sure, but not the literal sense. It's an important distinction. We're all dead in the practical sense, to varying degrees.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, you are dead when you are brain dead, even when on ventilation.

That was what Sabre was under that tree, dead and on ventilation, while the World tries to figure out what to do with her soul.

Blog Entries
    Except she's not braindead, she's alive and experiencing her wacky time travel adventures as dreams in the span of a single instant.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's why I said "practically dead".

She was able to tell Bedivere those last words because the World must run the formality of letting her breath out her last breath. She was in limbo the whole time and she was tossed back into her body and pulled back out again to fulfill the contract.

It's like those "1 dollar wage" of corporate executives who are entirely on stock option, but still needs to get "wage" because the contract says so.
    Is it a wage? Legally, sure. But is it really? No, it's symbolic, there's no wage.

Blog Entries
    Still, practically dead isn't dead, uess you want to claim that a person is dead just before they die. Which then turns into a "when do grains of sand become a pile" problem wherein you could claim that everybody is already dead.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, I am not trying to argue with you the Ship of Theseus.

I am just trying to show you my view that "all Servants are dead men walking, so they are not alive". And as you have seen, this is getting into philosophical crap, which I hate, which is also why I said a few pages back that this is regressing into philosophy and there's no right/wrong.

Blog Entries
    Im not exactly a fan of philosophy, either, it's basically pseudoscience. That's why I prefer the crisp boundary of "dead" and "not dead". Most Servants are dead. Saber is not dead. It's easy.

Which isn't to say that Saber is any different than the other Servants as far as surveying in the present day. She might not be technically dead, but she's still the product of another era and clearly something that doesn't belong.