Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartoon Nostalgia!

Blog Entries

Cartoon Nostalgia!

Okay, a huge discussion blossomed from Koto's drawing thread about old cartoons we used to watch as kids.

So, I'd figured I'd move it over here:

Mmm, I watched a lot of Cartoons as a kid. Ironically, my parents watched them with me. My dad's a huge fan of animation so I grew up watching:

Captain Planet and the Planeteers (I can still sing the theme song.)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Again, another theme song I can proudly sing.)
    Jonny Quest (60's version natch.)
    The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (the 90's update, and first real cartoon crush.)
    Batman: The Animated Series - Dear god this series still holds up today and I consider it the definitive version of Bats. Plus, Mark Hammil as the Joker? Come on now, how awesome was that.
    Tiny Toon Adventures
    Animaniacs
    Freakazoid- Even though I didn't get to watch it as much as the other Steven Spielburg cartoons.
    Big Guy and Rusty- Holy shit this cartoon was the bomb. My mom even watched it with me.
    Godzilla- Ironically, the cartoon based off of that horrid Godzilla movie of the 90's was really awesome. A thousand times better than that suck fest of a movie.
    X-Men
    Spider-Man
    Superman
    Gargoyles- I remember being blown away by this show as a kid. Even though it was Disney, it handled a lot of adult themes, pushed a lot of boundaries (one of the main characters ended up being the bastard daughter of the main protagonist and the female antagonist not to mention the heroine was African American/Native American) and had one of the coolest characters ever: David Xanatos. It dealt with Shakespearean themes to the point where Puck and Macbeth were two of the series antagonists. It was just so well written and so well done. Except the last season where the series creator went away and then appeared the animated version of the KKK.
    The Real Ghostbusters - Ironically, another cartoon that still holds up really well today. Excellent animation and stories.
    G.I. Joe
    Transformers- However I wasn't as much of a Transformers fan as I was G.I. Joe. I loved me some G.I. Joe.
    She-Ra: Princess of Power- I was thrilled when this showed up on Netflix.
    Rainbow Bright
    Jem- Holy fuck Jem was awesome. Or should I say Truly Outrageous?
    Thundercats - Fun fact, Ma-Mutt terrified me as a kid. Panthr-o was my favorite.

And there was this Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman cartoon that was like on early in the morning in the 80's. It had really strong production values and awesome artwork. I have not been able to see it sense. I know it exists, my dad got Screen Caps of it on his Amega back in the day and Roadbuster remembers it. I'd like to see it again.

Plus there was this Tomb of Dracula cartoon movie made years ago, like years ago. I vaguely remember it because Dracula's Dhampire son ends up killing him in the end. And Dhamp boy was fucked up. Something else I'd like to see again.

Also, I made sure I didn't list any anime on this list. Even though Thundercats was animated primarily in Japan, same with Transformers but . . yeah.

OH GOD, I feel like it's the 90s again
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some of them were Filipino dubbed, but...but I guess I still remember my childhood. ;_;

Blog Entries
    Man, I forgot Bobby's World and S.W.A.T Kats: The Radical Squadron. Man, I adored S.W.A.T Kats an absurd amount. Plus Callie and Razor should have hooked up. I was amused that in the second season T-Bone got his own romantic interest because they couldn't do the love triangle of Callie-Razor-T-Bone because Callie clearly had eyes for Razor. Even flirted with his civilian identity too.

I have fond memories of rushing home after school, getting my chores done and watching Animaniacs and Bobby's World.

Blog Entries
    >No Darkwing Duck

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Blog Entries
    Ah, shit Duck Tales!

And Rescue Rangers.

. . . I never got to see that much Darkwing Duck. It was never on when I was at home so I ended up missing it most of the time. I do remember, "Lets get Dangerous."

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How about Men In Black, Ma'am Elf. I loved Men In Black. I remember this episode when this coffee alien grew gigantic.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The entire Disney Afternoon lineup, way before Disney even had a channel. That was my stuff after school.

King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, Mighty Ducks, Biker Mice from Mars, the Saturday morning Sonic the Hedgehog on ABC. I can go on forever.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

I find the lack of Darkwing Duck disturbing.
    -Insert witty signature here-

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The first gen Cartoon Cartoons. Q.Q

That show with the baboon and the weasel.

Minus world, where all the negative losers go.
    Hnng. Now that Elf brought up a List, I was transported into my childhood. Oh how I used to sneak and watch Gargoyles, Dark Wing Duck, Ed Edd & Eddy and Hey Arnold. I'd get in trouble, but it was worth it.
    KOTOBOOBS
    Rejoice - Emiya Shirou. You may touch them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Saint View Post
    That show with the baboon and the weasel.
    I AM WEASEL!

So who here loved Samurai Jack this one my all time favorite cartoon

and Courage the Cowardly Dog Show

Oh god Courage, I loved that.

Two other cartoons i loved

Here's some ones I loved back as a kid............

Mighty Max

Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?

Super Mario Super Show

RIP Lou Albano, the first Mario in my life. And back off, I actually like the opening.

Spoiler:

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Goddamn. I never really got to see many of them back then, but they were awesome ;_;
    Where are they now?

Freakazoid, Godzilla, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Batman of the Future (or Beyond in other lands), Extreme Ghostbuster (it was fun and fresh with geriatric Egon!)
    Men in Black somewhat behind all the previous for me tho.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Was about to say I'm disappoint from the lack of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Where on Earth is Carmen San Diego, but then Altimod and MssrNeko. But that is a mighty list. My only addition would be Pinky and the Brain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hen_Ichi View Post
    Extreme Ghostbuster (it was fun and fresh with geriatric Egon!)
    Man, I saw one episode of that show and never could catch anymore, however the one episode I saw was really good. Plus it was the same voice actor who voiced Egon in the original The Real Ghostbusters Cartoon.

Pinky and the Brain was good, as well as Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, and Samurai Jack.