Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday gifts for other people

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Holiday gifts for other people

I was just curious what people consider the acceptable gift giving range.
    Specifically for people you like/crushes/significant others... etc etc.

I'm planning to give my crush a gift (even though he doesn't like christmas/holiday season, he's going to get something from me. I've already pretty much told him so. XP )
    And no, it's not me wrapped up in ribbons... -.-; And I'm trying to figure out the acceptable range before things start getting overbearing/too much?

That and acceptable amount of gifts.

#OwO#

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eos lip balm.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunara View Post
    I'm planning to give my crush a gift (even though he doesn't like christmas/holiday season, he's going to get something from me. I've already pretty much told him so. XP )
    And no, it's not me wrapped up in ribbons... -.-; And I'm trying to figure out the acceptable range before things start getting overbearing/too much?

That and acceptable amount of gifts.
    even thinking about that now, in November, is kind of overkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Dank memes

I'm broke
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    To be fair I had my brother's Christmas gift bought in August.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    was it serendipity or you legitly went out there and looked for something to get your brother in august?
    Like "hey it's august and i'm going to get something for christmas for my brother right now!"
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Depends. If you're just buying a catch-all gift for someone, then you can wait for December when there are special Christmas sales and stuff like that. If it's something that you've put thought into and have considered for a while, or that you simply couldn't buy on sale, there's no such thing as too early. November, after USAnksgiving, is perfectly reasonable to be thinking about Christmas presents, considering there's Black Friday and also most stores will start going all-in on Christmas stuff about now.

Just remember that when it comes to how gifting, Christmas isn't a very personal holiday. Contrast getting a gift on December 25th with getting a gift on your birthday, basically.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    I guess we're weird here... people tend to do their shopping early & take advantage of black friday deals...

#OwO#

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    was it serendipity or you legitly went out there and looked for something to get your brother in august?
    Like "hey it's august and i'm going to get something for christmas for my brother right now!"
    It was more like my brother spent the whole damn summer carrying around a wine skin full of gin, so when I went to a con in August I decided to get him a flask with the Fire Emblem logo on it, so he looks like less of a hobo.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    serendipity then

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunara View Post
    I guess we're weird here... people tend to do their shopping early & take advantage of black friday deals...

sorry for being an ass.

Blog Entries
    Now You knows.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    USAnksgiving
    Yanksgiving, if you will.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes View Post
    Yanksgiving, if you will.
    Okay, you got me there.

Banned
    I've already bought and sent out, as an early holiday gift, 5 copies of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock%27n_Roll_Gangster to various friends.

it's a huge hit
    Last edited by 2Bad; November 26th, 2016 at 11:42 PM.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To my special someone not existing, I want to give her a gold ring with a yellow diamond in it. That's all.

I start Christmas planning/shopping midway through the year. Like June, even. That gives me time to put a lot of thought and consideration into what's appropriate and what the most affordable/realistic way to accomplish it is. I sort of pride myself on my gift-giving prowess. *

That said, the appropriate range for a gift really depends on how close to the person you are. If you're passingly friendly, then you probably shouldn't spend more than $20ish. If you're good and/or close friends, it's not really so much about dollar value so much as it is about it being a gift that they'll appreciate, rather than being extravagant for the sake of it. Same with significant others although there's a lot more room for "because it's fancy and I thought you'd like it", if that's who you are as a person.

It's also worth noting that ages of the involved parties plays a part in my advice here. For teenagers I'd cut $20 down to $15, for example, because the older you get the more even generic gifts can cost. And number of gifts goes along with all this advice too; don't toss a ton of presents at someone you like but barely know, but conversely it's okay to give a close friend/significant other one really nice, thoughtful gift instead of several.

*plus you can laugh at the suckers who get caught in the holiday crunch later
    Last edited by Gl❀w; November 27th, 2016 at 02:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    I mostly am interested in early Christmas shopping for those discounted box kits that get picked over because some of them are good for cosmetics and stuff. You can split them up, give them away, or keep them. But seriously, EOS lip balm if you're gonna bother. $4 a person, $2 if you get them on sale, and they're mostly all clear and taste great so they're unisex and kind of odd.

That said, probably not even doing Christmas this year unless it's a token for my parents, so.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gl☺w View Post
    I start Christmas planning/shopping midway through the year. Like June, even. That gives me time to put a lot of thought and consideration into what's appropriate and what the most affordable/realistic way to accomplish it is. I sort of pride myself on my gift-giving prowess. *

That said, the appropriate range for a gift really depends on how close to the person you are. If you're passingly friendly, then you probably shouldn't spend more than $20ish. If you're good and/or close friends, it's not really so much about dollar value so much as it is about it being a gift that they'll appreciate, rather than being extravagant for the sake of it. Same with significant others although there's a lot more room for "because it's fancy and I thought you'd like it", if that's who you are as a person.

It's also worth noting that ages of the involved parties plays a part in my advice here. For teenagers I'd cut $20 down to $15, for example, because the older you get the more even generic gifts can cost. And number of gifts goes along with all this advice too; don't toss a ton of presents at someone you like but barely know, but conversely it's okay to give a close friend/significant other one really nice, thoughtful gift instead of several.

*plus you can laugh at the suckers who get caught in the holiday crunch later
    Thanks. I had grabbed a couple items because they were decent prices & relevant to his interests.... I couldn't decide & didn't want to stick around too long (I already had to hid the stuff once from him 'cause I went shopping at my store where we both work .) So I said "f'it. I'll just buy them all." -.-; I'm probably going to pick & choose which ones. Most of the stuff I can use myself if all else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes View Post
    I mostly am interested in early Christmas shopping for those discounted box kits that get picked over because some of them are good for cosmetics and stuff. You can split them up, give them away, or keep them. But seriously, EOS lip balm if you're gonna bother. $4 a person, $2 if you get them on sale, and they're mostly all clear and taste great so they're unisex and kind of odd.

That said, probably not even doing Christmas this year unless it's a token for my parents, so.
    Sorry to hear that. O:

I don't think he's a lip balm type.

#OwO#

Blog Entries
    I have no money so I just give them my love