Thread: Jojo Stand Ideas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jojo Stand Ideas

Thinking of posting this in the all-purpose Jojo thread but, aw heck I might as well make my own. This is a thread where you can present your own imagined ideas for Stands from the manga/anime series Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Basically, come up with a funky superpower (the more weird/conceptual/esoteric the better), find a vaguely fitting band name to match and voila! You've got yourself a Stand. Free ORAORAOROA's not included. Here's one of my own to kick things off.

Velvet Goldmine:

Appearance: Velvet Goldmine takes the shape of a scrawny, mechanical looking bird usually perched on the user's shoulder. Its feathers are primarily colored red, fading out into a dark blue color along the outer reaches of its wings. Symbols representing thermodynamic variables are scrawled all along its body, and its feet trail off into wickedly curved talons. When the Stand's ability is active, these talons lengthen and turn translucent, becoming more like tendrils of ethereal light to fully enclose a given region of space.

Power- E

Speed- B

Range- C

Durability- E

Precision- A

Potential- A

Abilities: Velvet Goldmine's most apparent power is that of temperature and heat manipulation. By fully enclosing its talons around a certain area of space, Velvet Goldmine is capable of completely manipulating temperature within the selected region. The most common usages of this are to flash-freeze a given target through greatly reducing their temperature to near-zero or create sudden fires by applying immense heat, almost like a magnifying glass. In most cases, the Stand's user will rely simply on these applications and keep the true extent of his Stand's abilities concealed from his opponents.

However, in reality temperature manipulation is only a limited manifestation of Velvet Goldmine's true power which is controlling Entropy itself- the phenomenon of order and decay governing physical matter. Its apparent power over temperature is in fact an application of the 'Maxwell's Demon' hypothesis, that a theoretical demon could violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics by selectively controlling the flow of hot and cold atoms between two systems.

By controlling Entropy itself, Velvet Goldmine is capable of undoing change and decay and even reviving the recently dead at maximum power. However, extensive applications of this Stand's ability demand an intense amount of spiritual energy from the user, running the risk of killing them outright if used carelessly. The Stand itself is also very fragile to balance its exceptionally versatile power and can easily be demolished by a single blow from the likes of Star Platinum in straight-up combat.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So, whaddya' think? Is it 'bizarre' enough? If you're wondering what the thought process behind the name and ability is, Velvet Goldmine, as well as a David Bowie song, is also the name of a movie which features a song called 'The Story Of Maxwell Demon'. A bit of a stretch to be sure, but I couldn't find any more direct Maxwell's Demon references from music (other than one band which seemed altogether far too recent and obscure to be one Araki would choose)

Anyone's free to have fun and post their own Stand ideas here if they want. I might come back here and write up one or two more depending on how popular this is...