Page 1 of 27 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Lantz's Fanfiction AMA

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lantz's Fanfiction AMA

I hadn't opened BL in months, this wasn't for lack of trying, simply put I had quite a bit of RL to deal with. With the holidays approaching and the spirits of my friends and family high I decided to take a shot at the forum again.

What did I find?

I'm chill, like, really chill. No anger, depression or despair that my efforts will be met with sneering, anger or dismissal.

In short, I am the original me. The one who loves stories and came to BL to write about the Nasuverse and all the lovely characters. This may not seem like much to those who know me, and even less to new users who don't. But, it's important to me, I'm free of the baggage that's followed me around.

In honor of this occasion and the season in general. Welcome to my AMA.

All character, story and project details are up for discussion.

To answer one particular issue, my long form works will be released in act or arc format rather than single chapter. Both because you guys devour fan fiction like I devour Netflix, and because I can have time to produce all the one shots that I owe people.

ask away, no more spoilers.
    http://forums.darksidemoon.net

come join us, Darksidemoon is a new forum for discussion of all things tm

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Thedoctor's Avatar
    Why?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lantz, you've already made a number of these threads before. I'll let you keep this one, but we're not going to go back to how it was before with your thread for every other thing. Keep it to just this one thread, and everything will be okay. Any other thread you make is just going to be merged into this one.

As for everyone else, no causing trouble. If this thread goes south, I'm going to lock it, and everyone who contributes to causing that will get a warning or worse. This isn't for Lantz' benefit; it's so that everyone, especially the staff, don't have to deal with the massive headaches that these situations cause.

Just be civil, please. We'll all be watching this thread closely. Don't be like our dearly departed Arch Magos Winter. That's all.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    He wasn't departed dearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    @TheDoctor

I'm Batman

@Shrapnel

well they are both immortal and swap tag along characters every arc...

@Five

I'm aware, the worrying can cease, all will be well. How about asking questions of your own? I'm sure you have a few.

as for SINIB's question, although I've no idea where it's gone. Satoshi isn't in everything I write, it's a matter of continuity when he does show up however, or a throw away work where I'm missing compatible or believable character relationships in the case of non canon type stuff

Blog Entries
    Name: Satoshi Alexander Emiya Pendragon.

Height: 5'10

Weight: 180lb

Eyes: Green

Hair: Blonde

Dress: simple colours and easy fit clothes like track suits, T-shirts etcetera.

The only five pieces of notable clothing Satoshi own are the following.

A mended version of his father's commonly worn T-shirt the long sleeves of the arms are black and white respectively as it has been mended many times. It holds no special effects or powers, it's simply precious to Satoshi.

A red and black track suit given to him by the Dust of Osiris in Delta world 5569 after Satoshi lost his super human abilities. Grants Satoshi increased focus (Something about a track suit inspires running)

A black long coat given to him by his grandfather Kiritsugu Emiya. It is outfitted with storage space, utility tools and barrier spells (Enhanced by Satoshi later) which make the coat indestructible (the wearer is not) After the Events of Swords and Sorcery Satoshi gave this coat to Aoko Aozaki as present

Merlin's night cap given to Satoshi by the Magnificent Merlin himself. Originally thought to be a small but important gesture from the grand wizard for Satoshi's trials it's revealed to allow the wearer to understand and communicate with animals.

A sliver and black Superman T-shirt designed after the man of steel's solar suit during Superman's return from death. Given to him by Souji Matou with a note reading "Hurry home Clark" This simple T-shirt is perhaps the strongest armour he has. It is indestructible (Satoshi subconsciously uses mana to protect it) And grants Satoshi greater control over his powers (really just a confidence boost)

Personality: Satoshi is a quiet person in general, despite his youthful appearance his age tends to show when he becomes exposed to unfavorable or arrogant individuals. This either takes the form of an ultra force beat down or a simple refusal to assist others. He's kind but not overly generous and isn't above lies or threats to save the lives of the innocent or even the guilty so long as the person is still reasonably human. He abhors violent or malicious death but respects the intellectual and spiritual nature of conflict and as such won't interfere in every fight he comes across. Beyond these factors he tends not to be a particularly serious individual and is especially fond of terrible jokes.

Philosophy: Satoshi would prefer never to have to fight, he does however acknowledge that not everyone will be swayed by words and few still are monsters who should not exist. As such he will willingly fight perceived injustice and kill if someone steps beyond what is considered human behavior.

Powers

Immortality: First achieved through Avalon, then by the paradoxical nature of his existence and finally by the being Master/subject of the Third magic. Satoshi is immortal, in the first case through endless regeneration, in the second because causality demanded his presence at certain events. And finally through physical reconstruction by way of the infinite Mana granted to him by the Third magic. There is no confirmed way for Satoshi to permanently die, any time he would be killed his body will simply reform out of the mana his soul generates automatically. it is however speculated that "Void" the existence attached to Ryougi Shiki could easily do away with Satoshi if she ever had a reason to do so.

"Listen up brat, Your journey will end. Be thankful instead of cowering in fear, you have an end so every moment is precious."

Water breathing: A divine protection granted by the Lady of the Lake, Satoshi can breathe underwater and water itself and is unaffected by currents unless he chooses to be.

"I guess I can't drown...neato"

Dragon soul: Possessed of and one with the dragon Satoshi possesses numerous powers as a result. Enhanced strength, speed, agility, perception, endurance, the ability to fly, create flames and heat from any part of his body, speech as dragons do as well as the innate ability to understand said language, vulnerability to dragon slaying weapons, immunity to magic, natural aptitude for martial arts and an aura of terror.

"You Pendragons...always running around, when will you be satisfied..."

Fey construction: Satoshi's body was crafted from fairy magic, as such both his ability to use magic and his reception of magic are heightened This also allows him to create extra terrestrial magical items and weapons.

"I admit, this Excalibur was an imitation, regardless of that you still lost...face it King of Heroes, even though my sword is shattered your gate isn't all it's cracked up to be."

Mastery of self: Satoshi possesses an absolute mastery of his own existence. This allows him to manipulate his body, mind and spirit as weapons or defense. The combination of the three in the case of the former results in enough power to split or crumble a mountain if used without restraint This is not a power unique to Satoshi he can simply recover from it's use easier.

"Despite being from the universe, you do not understand it. Allow me to show you the true power it holds"

Knight's Oath: Satoshi is bound by a spell to obey the orders of King Arthur these orders are absolute unless the King betrays his/her position.

"As the King wishes, so do I. If you have any problem with this then please, speak up"

Scared court: Satoshi's Reality Marble. A place created where the law is absolute, it is a huge battlefield made up of places Satoshi has been Satoshi can set up to Five laws which much be obeyed by all in the area. In addition a punishment for loss is set for the parties by the opposite side, any attempt to disobey or disregard the rules is met with a penalty weakening the powers of the criminal or knocking them unconscious immediately depending on the severity of the violation. Any punishment for loss must be immediate and cannot be something long term. The only way to avoid the laws and punishments is to surrender from battle while the reality marble is active. This ability has several weaknesses, most notably that Satoshi may not use the same rules in a twenty four hour period. In addition it's subject to his limited mana pool and cannot operate on his infinite mana regeneration.

"It's my world and your access has just been revoked"

Elemental Sorcery: Though pacts with Elemental spirits Satoshi can use Mana more freely, bind mana to himself or objects (granting himself or the weapons and tools) properties of the elements. In addition these pacts grant himself several passive abilities including but not limited to, Situational awareness, increased defense, increased strength, increased speed, immunity from the elements and elemental spirits and mana conversion to and from the planet so as to restore or burden the planet directly. These powers are directly subject to the pacts made and as a result continue only so long as the pacts are maintained.

"Gaia is one sassy lady. It's best not to push too far"

Mastery of Magic: As old as Satoshi is he has studied magic for almost as he has been alive. As such he has knowledge in almost every field. He can cast near infinite numbers of spells thanks to the Third Magic's secondary effect of endless Mana. However he may only cast two separate spells at one time and is also limited by his own immediate knowledge. Satoshi has only memorized a few fields of study by heart (notably the creation magic regarding golems, homunculi, material transition and healing), the rest are kept in a reference book carried on his person.

"The Mage Association is a collective of twats. If they want to stop me from using magic they are free to try, it's never actually worked the other twelve dozen times but go ahead...try me"

Aura of Terror: As he is a Dragon Satoshi can release his power as a dragon which creates a oppressive presence which few people are able to withstand.

"I warned you..."

Rekindled flame: The true form of the transformation "Rider Crimson" possessed by Satoshi. It is his ultimate state, it enhances his speed, strength, agility and endurance by a factor of Two Thousand percent meaning that nothing short of God or Dragon slaying weapons have a chance of beating him. While basically unbeatable Satoshi is unable to use magic or fly in this state (although his healing and Dragon's flame remain) and Dragon Slaying weapons do twenty times the damage to him as normal.

"The flame called justice burns within my soul. Now face this flame and watch your will burn to ash!"

Martial arts Mastery: Satoshi is, as a dragon, adept in the understanding of combat. He has mastered almost every human martial art (mostly for spiritual growth and peace) and is a self professed Master of, Taekwonleap, Sosetsuken, Gun kata, Ansatsuken, the way of the Spider and google-fu.

"Hey, you ever read Deadpool?"

Heroic soul: The ability Satoshi gained by absorbing all the wishes and curses of humanity. Satoshi is able to temporarily summon the powers of heroes, fictional or real. The limitations of the ability are severe, firstly Satoshi must match the ego of the hero, secondly the power must be functionally creatable within the context of the Nasuverse, thirdly it must be a power, no weapons or abstract skills, fourthly Satoshi suffers burn out both in terms of mana (leaving him unable to generate mana for a period) and in the direct sense of personal ego, even forgetting who he is in the worst cases.

as I said, no more spoilers. The first of several character profiles to be later posted.

this is Satoshi at full power, obviously he doesn't have this power from the start.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So Superman, with magic, Immune to magic, Who at anytime can boost 2000% at the expxense of taking 20x damage (Still a net gain of 100X)?

Sounds really, really boring.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Why do you keep doing this?

You pour so much time and energy into these AMA, Q & A and feedback threads that there doesn't seem to be anything left for actual writing. Sure, your stuff tends to get flash fried with all the flames you get, but if you're so chill about it, you shouldn't care. What good will this thread (which seems designed to be an excuse to post your controversial original character's overblown power set) do when you're better off just writing something and saying to hell with the haters? You make such a production out of everything.

Blog Entries
    @mattias

no, actually the fairy and dragon aspects conflict with each other leaving him with a B rank in resistance.

as for his ability, yes, it is OP, last ditch moves are always like that in shonen. It's literally the last thing he tries, because literally everything else fails, even then it falls short of several TM characters. It's a scaling based on his base abilities and not a numerical value.

like Shazam or Cu Culain he can be beaten by disassembly.

- - - Updated - - -

@imperial

it is as I said in the opening. Rather than belabor the point, join the discussion. It's certainly more productive than saying I'm trying to put on a show.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    @mattias

no, actually the fairy and dragon aspects conflict with each other leaving him with a B rank in resistance.

as for his ability, yes, it is OP, last ditch moves are always like that in shonen. It's literally the last thing he tries, because literally everything else fails, even then it falls short of several TM characters. It's a scaling based on his base abilities and not a numerical value.

- - - Updated - - -

@imperial

it is as I said in the opening. Rather than belabor the point, join the discussion. It's certainly more productive than saying I'm trying to put on a show.
    Why would dragon and fairy attributes clash? The fairies didn't mind their prized treasures becoming the iconic symbols of the dragon-girl-king. I don't think there's any sort of fictional setting or rule off the type of my head that says dragons and fairy kind are diametrically opposed.

I am joining the discussion. You direct me to the opening, which talks about how chill you are, so I brought that up. Your original post doesn't really bring up any great jumping off points, so I'm putting it to you: Why are you doing this? Why do you think this is a good idea when no other author on the forum does this kind of grandstanding? What do you want to get out of it?

Blog Entries
    Ah. Satoshi is your original character.

Well that clears up my question.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @mattias

- - - Updated - - -
    Lantz. He's literally Superman. You said yourself he has a shirt with a "come back soon clark" note attached. Only instead of having a normal magic weakness, he's immune due to dragon. Great Minmaxing. Perfect if your actually trying to game the system, but absolutely terrible for any sort of dramatics at all. "Hey look it's that guy, lets hope he doesn't hurt INVINSIBLE MAN tm!" is a horrible set up for any story. Instead of posting your projected end game Mucnhkining, maybe start out with his starting level stuff. Like a normal RP you have a goal sheet for the end, but you don't break it out when the DM sends you after the level 1 Kobold bandits. And if all that shit happens naturally in the story, fine, people will accept it or give you shit for pulling another power out of your ass, but at least it will seem slightly more realistic.

And for gods sake man, avoid the Sakura Milkshake. No-one is going to ever take anything you say seriously if you start with that. Or end with that. Or have it anywhere in between. Murdered for shits and giggles, sure. Purplehead is suffering. But not force-fed cannibalism.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    @imperial

the Dragon's power is all consuming, it's like mixing a drink, there's only so much room in a glass.

I'm doing this to have a place where discussion can happen with spoilers and where I can correct misunderstandings. You yourself thought Shirou was in a relationship with multiple women upon reading it. I had to correct you, having a place where people can quickly come to understand details is important I believe.

@Mattias

the opinion that he is Superman is not mine, rather that opinion is in universe from the character of Souji Matou.

his powers being out in the open is so that people know I'm not pulling them out of my ass.

Sakura's death was, admittedly, gruesome but given that Sakura and Gilgamesh were attempting to make Satoshi go insane it fits that she'd have Gilgamesh kill her like that. Perhaps I could sand down the event to have it fit better but it's still supposed to be horrifying. So a decent equilibrium may not be possible.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    as I said, no more spoilers. The first of several character profiles to be later posted.

this is Satoshi at full power, obviously he doesn't have this power from the start.
    Well, it's obvious that your character's going to develop into an ultra-human being at his fullest, actually. (Now, to the readers that aren't Lantz, excuse me if I'm going to question him. You've done this before and I understand why it is a fool's errand, but I have not yet done so. Again, excuse me.)

You say that you don't want to give too much spoilers yet if the spoilers you give out are like this, I might as well as go "well, he's going to be like that anyway, so why should I care about the story"?

I mean, if he obviously will have a Reality Marble than can allow him to say "Alright, I will be an automatic victor in this battle and you will be defeated, so surrender or suffer the consequences." and that's it, battle is won, enemy is defeated, end of arc, especially if the opponent is an ultimate enemy.

24-hour limits on the same rules? No problem. Just say, "During the duration of this battle, you cannot move, strike back or attack." And then Satoshi attacks the opponent uncontested. There, game set, end of story.

In other words, with this one power, it shows how much Satoshi is too powerful, especially when it is his Reality Marble. Among others, such as the immortality and all-encompassing expertise on magic. So why should I care for him if he's going to be like this?

I could be posting my three Mary Sue-esque pet RPCs here and I might get better interaction and chestnuts from the peanut gallery, though. I mean, really, man.

Blog Entries
    @ivan

previously I've been trying to avoid spoilers due to my own view on the issue. Clearly transparency is the better option however, so no spoilers.

as for his RM. You've misunderstood it. Everyone has to obey the laws, himself included. While there are laws that would give him an advantage (RMs are supposed to do as much) none are so cut and dry. Further some possible laws are against his character. Knights fight fairly after all.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    @ivan

previously I've been trying to avoid spoilers due to my own view on the issue. Clearly transparency is the better option however, so no spoilers.

as for his RM. You've misunderstood it. Everyone has to obey the laws, himself included. While there are laws that would give him an advantage (RMs are supposed to do as much) none are so cut and dry. Further some possible laws are against his character. Knights fight fairly after all.
    Even with the transparency you're offering right now, the story can make any discriminating reader say that the direction that Satoshi heads to doesn't lend to interest anymore if ever a story about him is written. He'll be a Superhuman with God-like powers in the end, so what the hell, why should people still care about the story if the main character ends up being able to capably solve any obstacle he wants if wishes to?

And even with the fact that even he needs to obey the laws in his RM, he's the only one who's making the laws. So what's stopping him from making a law that works on his side?

The fact that the only thing that keeps him from doing so, according to you, is that he's supposed to be a chivalrous knight. Two things about this.

Firstly, his personality profile says that he's not above threats and lies to save other people. So how can we be so sure that he's above using the RM to defeat powerful opponents quickly? What's stopping him, aside from your word of honor?

Second, the idealization of Knighthood is simply erroneous from an historical standpoint. The ideal was they're supposed to be just fighting for their Lord, the Church and what's right, but in reality they're simply an elitist and brutal bunch of rich horsemen who simply cared about war prizes and machismo. Sure, what I said might be a ridiculous oversimplification of the reality behind knighthood, but the point here is there's a difference between the ideal knight and the knights as they were actually. So the fact that Satoshi seemingly follows this kind of code might call his character into question.

Not to mention that this chivalric idealism has already been picked-apart by the realities and developments of modern warfare, but that's another story for another time.

Blog Entries
    Sakura and Gilgamesh were attempting to make Satoshi go insane it fits that she'd have Gilgamesh kill her like that.
    For being one of Mike's friends, this entire statement boggles my mind. Why does Sakura want Satoshi insane? Is that like your version of Sakura's foreplay?
    And yes I am bringing in the Satoshi-harem-protag thing because that's what I've been exposed to - canon or not canon for his character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    @Ivan

I'm not sure why you're using the Superman fallacy here. A character is more than a power set. As for the RM, granting a significant advantage is the whole point of having one, a reality marble which does not help it's user misses the point. His character stops him, just as with any number of superheroes.

what knights were is of no consequence Ivan. Satoshi is from the year 2031, the definition of knight has been the romanticized version for a very long time.

@Lyco

the Satoshi involved in sex stuff in a long form of the joke, dragons will fuck anything. Can't believe nobody got that.

Sakura is part of the Einzbern group, collectively the four can see through time. They know the fate awaiting the universe and have prepared against it. This results in, among other things, driving Satoshi mad.

Blog Entries
    @Ivan

I'm not sure why you're using the Superman fallacy here. A character is more than a power set. As for the RM, granting a significant advantage is the whole point of having one, a reality marble which does not help it's user misses the point. His character stops him, just as with any number of superheroes.

what knights were is of no consequence Ivan. Satoshi is from the year 2031, the definition of knight has been the romanticized version for a very long time.
    If you know that a character is more than a set of powers, then why is it that you have devoted more space to his full list of powers than that to his actual personality? Moreover, his personality, as written here, is too ambiguous to have decisive limits or set of moralities. It was written as if it tries to cover anything, to make sure that anything he would do can be justified by "he's like this, but not too much of that". That's how you wrote his personality, as minimal as it seems. He has no extremes, and therefore no discernible avenues of flaws or deficiencies as a human being.

And see, the fact that he came from the year 2031 doesn't help when it comes to the idealization of knighthood. In the current era, the chivalry of the knights were, as I said already, rendered obsolete by modern warfare. How much more in the future years, with many of the developments that can potentially be used by the most advanced armies when that time comes?

But, let's say that he can afford to be the ideal knight because of the full spectrum of his abilities. If so, it doesn't send a message of hope and idealism both to people inside the story and the reader. Instead, it sends a message that you can be whoever you want to be as long as you have the might of wizards and gods behind you. It makes people think that might is right, and that the already-discredited divine right is viable so long as magical beings back you up. It's, basically, pure power and heroic fantasy.