Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Years! #2016IsOverParty

1. As always, I resolve to cut back on my sugar intake and lose the spare tire.

2. Also as always, the coming year will be the year that I finally get a job.

Dependent on 2., 2017 will also be the year that I:
    2a. ask her out.
    2b. Buy that junk I always wanted but don't need.
    2c. Donate more to charities.

3. More realistically, I'll also finish all the art projects I'm half-done.
    O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are, perhaps, a variety of positions between your initial statement of it not being bad and your strawman of people saying it's the worst ever.
    And are all of those "so edgy" to you too?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I resolve to get a better job and make a kickass Ozy costume for Otakon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
    And are all of those "so edgy" to you too?
    I didn't comment on any of them, only on your assertion that it wasn't a bad year and that you were laughing at those that thought it was.

Blog Entries
    I mean for me personally it was an overall okay year, with ups and downs but still on an upwards trajectory since the hell that was 2014.

But on a larger scale, 2016 is a year when war in Syria entered its 5th year and the death toll passed 200,000. In Yemen there is an ongoing ( but largely forgotten ) war that's claimed tens of thousands of lives so far and left ~80% of the populace on the verge of apocalyptic famine and disease.
    There's also the ISIS destroying Palmira and many other historic sites, doing immeasurable damage to the cultural heritage of the Middle Eastern nations, and the word as a whole.

Fascism is on the rise in Europe, with Hungary and Poland leading the way, and far-right and like parties enjoying ever greater popularity in Western European countries.
    EU is, in the meanwhile, now a fortress, with literal walls and rows of barbed wire in place to prevent desperate people from reaching safety and peace of Europe. Almost 5000 people have drowned in 2016 alone in the Mediterranean sea while trying to reach shores of Italy and Greece.

On the other side of the pond, Donald Trump has become the president of the US, since when the prominence and boldness of fascist organisations has grown.

All the while we are doing pretty much nothing on a global scale to urgently do something tangible to combat climate change.

Yeah.... not a very good year for humanity overall.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
    Nope. Just an understanding of world history and not having a narrow-minded crybaby attitude.

Just because someone doesn't think the current year was the "worst evah" doesn't make them edge. It usually just makes them sick and tired of everyone and their mothers repeating this hyperbole from here to Timbuktu.
    I can say completely honestly that 2016 was the worst year of my life, and it came very close to being the last. Due to personal circumstances and world events, for many other people 2016 has been the same; don't conflate the difficulties people face in their day to day lives with sadness over celebrity deaths. That last part gets emphasized too much, and sadly overshadows the troubles from within and without that have made 2016 an incredibly bad year for lots of people, myself included. I'm not saying that 2016 has been a bad year, personally, for everyone - I've said before that I'm sure it's been great for some, no doubt - but saying that it's hyperbole to commiserate about what has been for others a terrible twelve months belittles their very real struggles.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Like for as much as the celebrity death business is just cherries on the shit sunday even that isn't to be entirely swept under the rug. Artists, as it turns out, can have profound effects on the psyches of others, and we lost some of our biggest cultural visionaries this year (a number entirely unexpectedly). 2016 was a terrible, horrific year due primarily to fascism, famine, and radicalism, and art in many ways provides escape from that so having so having a lot of that torn away at the same time is just insult to injury.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whis View Post
    Like for as much as the celebrity death business is just cherries on the shit sunday even that isn't to be entirely swept under the rug. Artists, as it turns out, can have profound effects on the psyches of others, and we lost some of our biggest cultural visionaries this year. 2016 was a terrible, horrific year due primarily to fascism, famine, and radicalism, and art in many ways provides escape from that so having so having a lot of that torn away at the same time is just insult to injury.
    I was going to say this as well, yes. I'll also say that the media coverage didn't help, though, with the continued emphasis on the headline of "2016 takes another life" which I feel only added a negative emphasis to the various deaths this year has seen.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Banned
    Further, while no, it isn't the worst year ever, it is pretty comfortably the worst of the 21st century.

Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone has ever argued that it's the worst year ever (that's 476 t y v m) but it's definitely one of the worst, generally speaking, in recent (+/- a decade) memory.

Banned
    Oh I was just taking shots at the strawman verg put up.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh I was just taking shots at the strawman verg put up.
    Well, despite my country electing a president that turned our country into a black zone as a whole with his batshit policies and enthusiastic gusto will having people killed and also being buried in debt due to my chronically latent disabilities and sicknesses going barely up to eleven again, I'll agree that I'll still laugh at the people who think 2016 is the worst year ever in this century, millennia or of all time.

Because it only meant that they've already lost all hope when, first, the future might turn out to be better or worse and I base that on my experiences, and second, they aren't fighting anymore, they've easily gave up just like that. Now those kinds of people are the ones who are edgy, because they think everything's just dark and doom and grim, that fighting is hopeless, feeling dead inside. The "feeling of being dead inside" is a giant cynical irony, you know?

Banned
    I should think it goes without saying that the future is in flux, I am talking about in comparison to the century thus far.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I should think it goes without saying that the future is in flux, I am talking about in comparison to the century thus far.
    Then judge when this century is over. I know it sounds ridiculous because we'll be too old or too dead when that comes, but only future historians can say when is worse anyway.

But I'm not gonna stop you in thinking it the worst year of the century so far, even if it's an exaggeration.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Happy new year from the UK, glad to see 2016 go. I ended the year the only way I wanted. Drunk.

US Friend Code
    A bit late, but happy new year from germany!

happy new year

Happy new year BL'ers

Blog Entries
    I'm drink

- - - Updated - - -

Same

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that was my own post

Blog Entries
    same
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?