Page 485 of 491 FirstFirst ... 385435475480483484485486487490 ... LastLast
Results 9,681 to 9,700 of 9818

Thread: Fate/Apocrypha Anime (no spoilers)

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon View Post
    A good question friend
    Failing to strive for completion is also stagnation
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Still don't see why immortality is even equated to "completion", much less satisfaction. If, say, Mozart or Leonardo da Vinci became immortal, do you think for one second they'd stop caring about painting, inventing or making symphonies? The only people who'd consider immortality a reason to give up on doing anything are those who are so weak-willed they lack any meaning to life beyond mere survival.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Still don't see why immortality is even equated to "completion", much less satisfaction. If, say, Mozart or Leonardo da Vinci became immortal, do you think for one second they'd stop caring about painting, inventing or making symphonies? The only people who'd consider immortality a reason to give up on doing anything are those who are so weak-willed they lack any meaning to life beyond mere survival.
    "Ah, I can paint for all of eternity, how fun!"
    "Well, after so many years, I've grown tired of painting. Maybe I'll try out origami!"
    "Years passed, and I've grown bored of this too. Maybe I should try--- No, what's the point..."

That's basically how I see it for any "non-survival" activities. What's really the point in just endlessly pursuing knowledge and leisure or whatnot when it's all just gonna stay the same regardless. You've become a "static being", no matter how much knowledge or life experience you accrue won't change that. Now apply that to all of humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    With the kind of immortality that the Heaven's Feel gives, every man would be an island unto himself, essentially. You wouldn't need to interact with people for anything, not for food or water, not for WiFi, you wouldn't need a home, you wouldn't need sex, you might not even be able to interact with anybody.

It'd be like being in a videogame you can't ever close or leave, after you've finished all non-repeating quests, finished the main story, completed the DLCs, collected every unique, finished every NPC storyline and then murdered them all, and now there's nothing left to do but work on trying to find glitches that make you fall out of the world.

I think the worst thing about it is that it's a complete unknown- it could be the greatest thing to ever happen to humanity, but it could also be the thing that turns us all into living zombies that just can't die, no matter how much we want to, and nobody has a choice in the matter. Amakusa didn't bother with a poll, an opt-in or a Y/N option, he just went "Yep there's no way this could go wrong", and dropped it on us all.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    That's basically how I see it for any "non-survival" activities. What's really the point in just endlessly pursuing knowledge and leisure or whatnot when it's all just gonna stay the same regardless. You've become a "static being", no matter how much knowledge or life experience you accrue won't change that. Now apply that to all of humanity.
    This isn't wrong, but it's also possible that freed from the fear of pain, hunger, death, etc., humanity could focus on expanding ever more inward, outward, or both. Maybe Mozart would never grow bored with music, and maybe he would join other musicians to take the field to heights never before reached.

On the other hand, it feels a bit simplistic to reduce all of the evils that men do to just the most primitive survival urges. For all we know, Amakusa's dream would have created a world much like our own, where the powerful tread on the powerless, only now they get to do it for eternity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    I think the worst thing about it is that it's a complete unknown- it could be the greatest thing to ever happen to humanity, but it could also be the thing that turns us all into living zombies that just can't die, no matter how much we want to, and nobody has a choice in the matter.
    Yes, this sums up what I think quite well.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Remove Alaya from the picture. What is humanity collectively without its wish for survival? It's no longer a force, it no longer moves or drives. And things that aren't in motion just...stagnate.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    For all we know, Amakusa's dream would have created a world much like our own, where the powerful tread on the powerless, only now they get to do it for eternity.
    The Third Magic supplies limitless energy to everyone
    so no that wouldn't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    This isn't wrong, but it's also possible that freed from the fear of pain, hunger, death, etc., humanity could focus on expanding ever more inward, outward, or both. Maybe Mozart would never grow bored with music, and maybe he would join other musicians to take the field to heights never before reached.
    I can't help but imagine that no matter how interested or passionate anyone is about anything, that cannot last an eternity.

Also what Arashi said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Something something "What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't change can't learn."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    "Ah, I can paint for all of eternity, how fun!"
    "Well, after so many years, I've grown tired of painting. Maybe I'll try out origami!"
    "Years passed, and I've grown bored of this too. Maybe I should try--- No, what's the point..."

Hmm, fair enough. I can see that an immortal life that's just a normal human lifespan but extrapolated into eternity would eventually get boring. Even the immortality transhumanists speculate on generally assumes that humans will be still evolving (getting more intelligent via fusing with machines, say), rather then literally just staying as they are forever.

US Friend Code
    I mean, immortality will be great, only if your the one that had it or if just a small portion of people had it. As even if you stayed the same the world around you will keep on changing thus you could keep trying new things. Or at least that's my opinion on the matter.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Blog Entries
    Immortality sucks. Have you not played lost odyssey?

Blog Entries
    Holy crap was the Achilles/Chiron fight awesome. After 21 episodes of build-up, we finally get what Fate is all about; a straight-up no-holds-barred slugfest between two legendary heroes. It helps that the choreography and animation in their climactic dual was some of the best the show's had by far, with far less of the obnoxious speed blurs and sonic booms that sound like wet farts.

Shakespeare's explanation for why Astolfo got his sanity back on the new moon was cool, but I noticed something odd. In the myths, wasn't it Roland- not Astolfo- who lost his wits on the moon? Did Nasu make it the other way around?

US Friend Code
    Astolfo went to the moon to get Rolands wits. But he also left his there or at least that's Fates take.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what Fate is all about; a straight-up no-holds-barred slugfest between two legendary heroes
    :|

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    :|
    Sure, the philosophy stuff is cool too, but are you seriously going to deny that a lot of people got into Fate for the sheer coolness of seeing a battle royale with mankind's greatest heroes and villains?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    It’s a rather superficial reading

im just here for Nasu’s Wild Ride

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Sure, the philosophy stuff is cool too, but are you seriously going to deny that a lot of people got into Fate for the sheer coolness of seeing a battle royale with mankind's greatest heroes and villains?
    what something is all about =/= individual thing someone finds enjoyable about that something

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    what something is all about =/= individual thing someone finds enjoyable about that something
    It was hyperbole. I wasn't seriously implying that's the only thing worthwhile about Fate. I just really enjoyed that scene and was expressing that in an emotional way.

Blog Entries
    So I just watched episode 22 this morning. Frankly, I liked the Achilles/Chiron fight last episode better then Sieg/Karna. The sheer scale of the fight was certainly epic, but there was so much special effects and flashing lights going on I could barely see what was happening half the time, and the actual blows didn't feel as impactful as they should've been. The final pan over the ruined battlefield during the ending credits was a nice touch, though.