Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: The Beast's Lair Fanfic Contest (2017 Edition) (Discussion Thread)

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Actually, I referenced various passages from the original poem, sometimes directly (such as parts of Beowulf's speech), although I did occasionally change them to better fit my attempt to reconcile both depictions of the character, the original one and the one from "Grand Order".
    Yeah, and that's kind of the risk you took on a piece like this.

I, admittedly, have not read the original poem. (I know, my school system sucks, and even my lit professor in college gave us more Robert Frost, Allen Ginsburg, Sylvia Plath, and Donald Goines than classical epics such as Beowulf.) At the same time, though, of course I tried to do my best research as possible on Beowulf (or at least, the TM version of him) before scoring the piece, so as to try to avoid incidents where lack of familiarity with a given character or game (I haven't played GO either... maybe once the English version is out I'll give it a go). But that left me to judge Beowulf by the TM version of him, whereas you were kind of going for a synthesis; that is very much a hit-or-miss thing, and to me, it felt more like you were going for the Legendary Beowulf of the poem, which is rather ill-fitting for the TM depiction, precisely because some of those cues were so subtle that I simply did not catch some of those.

In hindsight and with that knowledge, I can see what you were trying to do now, but since they were fairly subtle (and I missed several of them as a result), it felt more like "Heroic Beowulf with TM Pessimistic Beowulf seasoning" at the time of the review. If I would've realized how you were tying that all in better, or if maybe you laid on his own self-doubt and lying a little more clearly, your score would've definitely been higher, but even with that, I know I would've felt let down by its general lack of length, and even if that had been done, the sense that it could've been about almost any king still applies - a rousing speech is definitely a normally kingly thing to do, but when what distinguishes it is some subtle hints that Beowulf is lying to himself and some lines quoted from the classic epic itself, it's kind of hard to make it stand out from any other king giving the same speech, and I just couldn't shake that sense of wanting to have seen this Beowulf do more than lie to his men.

I still stand by what I said in my review - I'd class this overall as a good idea, that it felt like it was an idea that was a good concept, but it needed a considerably more full-bodied implementation of said concept, and a good bit more length. That'd be a contender for a solid 80+ then if your artistry could hold out for 10-20k words, as it would not only be more clear to the reader what you're doing, it'd also give them more to read, more to enjoy, and let you show off your style a bit better than a ~1300 word fic ever could. Stuff like that is important - if you're going to do a 1300 word fic, you need to do just as much in those 1300 words as a more normal-length fic would do in 10-20k. Every word counts when you're going for brevity.

Either way, my harshness aside, you've definitely got balls for entering and putting it up to people to judge it. I don't think you'll give up, and truth be told, considering how Alf and IRUN scored it I'm not sure myself anymore if it was genuinely deserving of what I gave it, if it was a letdown reaction to the knockout that was Cursed Cold Colle, or if I simply didn't "get it." Either way, you learn from what people think about your work, apply that to your next work, and you improve bit by bit.

So I'm hoping to see an entry from you in a future contest, and hoping I like that one a lot more than this one.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Hello! I'm the writer for A Summoning and I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to judge and read it! This was the first fic I ever wrote so excuse my bad writing X.x . If it felt rush it's because it was as I originally had it on Microsoft Word on a laptop my sister took for her trip so I had to try and rewrite it from memory (And boy was it bad X.x).

I do want to clarify somethings, Alice the main protagonist was never supposed to be Alice from Fate/Extra (though now that would be a cool connection X.x). I was hoping that people could get that the setting was Brazil from hints thrown here and there. Also, Rider was supposed to be The Headless Horseman which I should definitely have fleshed out more. The hard to understand German accent I based off of the only German accent I have heard IRL which was just as hard to understand (definitely should have made it somewhat more legible though no excuse X.x).

All in all, I thought it was a pretty decent first attempt and I will probably be fleshing out and continuing the story elsewhere. I just wanted to thank everyone again for reading my first attempt and I hope to see you guys all in the next one.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jackets Off View Post
    Hello! I'm the writer for A Summoning and I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to judge and read it! This was the first fic I ever wrote so excuse my bad writing X.x . If it felt rush it's because it was as I originally had it on Microsoft Word on a laptop my sister took for her trip so I had to try and rewrite it from memory (And boy was it bad X.x).

I do want to clarify somethings, Alice the main protagonist was never supposed to be Alice from Fate/Extra (though now that would be a cool connection X.x). I was hoping that people could get that the setting was Brazil from hints thrown here and there. Also, Rider was supposed to be The Headless Horseman which I should definitely have fleshed out more. The hard to understand German accent I based off of the only German accent I have heard IRL which was just as hard to understand (definitely should have made it somewhat more legible though no excuse X.x).

All in all, I thought it was a pretty decent first attempt and I will probably be fleshing out and continuing the story elsewhere. I just wanted to thank everyone again for reading my first attempt and I hope to see you guys all in the next one.
    That would definitely explain why it felt so rushed to me, then.

For a first time effort... yeah, scores and reviews like mine must be harsh, but there have been worse entries in years past. (I seem to remember handing out a score in the 20s a couple years ago.) Most of that was due to you going overkill on that thick accent, and a lot of the rest was stuff you're not used to yet (pacing your ideas, etc.). But you do show promise!

The key to being a good writer is having the determination to stick it through, to learn from the criticism of others, and then to give them a journey. You can have the best plot in the world, but it won't mean a damn if your technicals suck - likewise, having solid technicals is great, but you need some artistry in the mix for anything more than average.

I will say that no, I did not get your setting as Brazil at all, nor Rider's identity.

And it is good that you are going to keep plugging away at it. You sound like the kind of guy who will keep improving, and I have a feeling if you enter again, you'll do a lot better than your score in this year's contest.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    I, admittedly, have not read the original poem. (I know, my school system sucks, and even my lit professor in college gave us more Robert Frost, Allen Ginsburg, Sylvia Plath, and Donald Goines than classical epics such as Beowulf.)
    Man, I feel you. In my college, we had a class called "Foundations of English-language Literature" in which we were supposed to read "Beowulf", "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight", a bunch of folk poems, and then move on to "Canterbury Tales" for the rest of the term; instead, we only had Chaucer for the entire term. Fortunately, I was a huge nerd and read those by myself, but I'm still salty over that. :-P

Thanks for your additional comments! I do understand what you're saying, that I needed to spend more time on Beowulf's conflict, flesh it out more. And yes, I'll definitely be there for later contests! :-)

Actually, I do have one favour to ask: do you think you could point to me the exact technical issues with my writing? Please and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jackets Off View Post
    I was hoping that people could get that the setting was Brazil from hints thrown here and there.
    Oh, nice! Which city or region, specifically? Somewhere in the South, maybe?
    Also, now that you've mentioned Rider's identity, those head jokes...

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for reading. I confess that I now believe that it was more fun to write being an Evil Kitsune for Fun and Profit than it is to read. Ill admit, I more or less wanted to use Servants as segways for jokes, but for all the good lines in it, I failed to connect them in a way that kept everyone(anyone?) particularly interested. I'm glad to know that it wasn't entirely horrible, but I still can and should do better. To Alf, IRUn, and Dark Pulse, I apologize for making you guys suffer through that.

I'm taking a break from crackfic writing for a while. I wonèt make excuses, I'll just promise to do better next time.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Rio de Janeiro

Blog Entries
    Hey folks just a heads up, You has accepted the quartz reward but has decided to wait until the next pay gatcha which might take a while before it shows up.

I'll be sure to keep everyone informed until then though we shall wait and see!

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Hi there! Sorry to be a bother, but I'd really appreciate some help with this:

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Technical (15 Points): 11
    It's choppy. You have grammar issues riddled throughout. It doesn't even flow well.
    Would you mind actually pointing those technical issues in detail? It would be a really huge help! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Actually, I do have one favour to ask[, Dark Pulse]: do you think you could point to me the exact technical issues with my writing? Please and thank you!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For the anniversay guaranteed gatcha

And one roll for the holmes
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that sucks.

'Grats on Beo and Tamamo, at least. Something new is better than something not, I suppose.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; July 30th, 2017 at 06:34 PM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    You have my condolences or congratulations depending on how much you like Tamamo