Thread: BL Diplomacy: C-C-Conquer the World (or just Europe, since Rowling can't tell the difference...)!

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

BL Diplomacy: C-C-Conquer the World (or just Europe, since Rowling can't tell the difference...)!

In honor of the new Harry Potter stuff, which features (you guessed it), a war in Europe (or will, at any rate), I thought it was high time we tried out another rousing game of Diplomacy, since we've all had such fun playing it, no?

For a bit of background, Diplomacy is one of the greatest board games ever invented. In it, seven players take control of the powers of World War One (England, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Turkey, and Russia) and battle for control of Europe. What makes it interesting is that there is no random chance, and all the powers have units with the same capabilities. Because of this, strategy and diplomacy take center stage.

The Map

Light gray spaces are impassable.

The Rules

PDF copy of the rules

Your goal is to take control of 18 supply centers, the territories with the black circles. Taking control of one allows you to build a unit, and loosing one will force you to delete a unit. You may have as many units as you have supply centers.

There are two kinds of units: armies and fleets. Armies can move on all land spaces, while fleets can move on water and coastal spaces.

You can order your units to move to another province, support a unit's move, hold their position, support a unit holding, or order a fleet to convoy an army across water.

There are five phases in the game:

Spring moves: Units are given orders
    Spring retreats: Units that have been forced out of their region may retreat or disband
    Fall moves: Same as Spring moves
    Fall retreats: Same as Spring retreats
    Builds: You may build or disband units, depending on whether you gained or lost supply centers.

If you're unsure of what might happen if you make a move, you can get jDip, an application that allows you to test moves and tactics. (This is also the program I'll be using to resolve orders)

Why is this in the RP forum?

Because that's where these sorts of threads have been since 2011?

I want to play!

Great! Post your preference for a country in the thread. Also, post how long you'd like for each game phase. I'd prefer 24 hours for moves (with retreats and builds following immediately thereafter, with no discussion), so we get a fighting chance at finishing a game. I'm open to a longer period for proper moves, should people think they need it.

England:
    France:
    Germany:
    Austria:
    Italy:
    Turkey:
    Russia:

Blog Entries
    ITS BACK

I'm really hoping this takes off but I'll just spectate for the time being.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What, Finland isn't a choice?

Boo.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No interest in this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    No interest in this?
    Different times, Alf. Things have changed...
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay