Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: US Bill that rids US of Gaming Streaming sites and Video games everywhere! (Urgent)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    gaming studios will certainly oppose the bill mike. it will seriously mess up their income numbers. any smart gaming company knows the pubic rarely trusts the "official" reviews anymore.
    Hopefully so. This bill might be intended to help, but it could hurt others in a way that makes this country feel like that America has no freedom anymore.

I did what I had to do to lend my voice and thoughts to others on the internet about this. I enjoy doing what I do with video game vids, and maybe some music from various video games. It's a hobby that I indulge in, I hate it when someone takes it away, and they could tell me to get over it, but what happens when something I also love to do or what I partake in gets taken away again by the very government that issues these laws. For me, it's impossible to get over these things if they constantly stomp on my heart doing it.

Blog Entries
    So, Sony is on this bill...

I think Mike is onto it, right here. But he didn't go far enough. Think about the PSN disaster that just went down, where potentially huge amounts of sensitive information of PSN clients was leaked through hacking. With this kind of thing in place, it becomes impossible to spread word through the internet regarding such a thing. Most of that kind of info would reach consumers through the net, but now, talking about the product would be prohibited, so if anyone leaked information about a disaster like that, or about a faulty product, or about upcoming releases, Sony, or any other company, could simply sue that person by tracing the leak.

It's information control. Plain and simple, it takes power out of the hands of the people, and slaps it into the hands of the companies. Class Action Suits are not really going to be reasonable anymore, and without that, the legal power of the people against media companies like Sony will plummet. Knowledge is power, so all they have to do is limit that knowledge.

This isn't just about minor lawsuits, nitpicking, and keeping the details of the next big show, or game, or whatever. It's about covering the asses of the bigwigs. At least, imo.
    Asha Records
    Fuyuki - Winter Cleaning
    My Shameful Fics and the Wiki to go with them. Oh, and some fossil I found.
    [16:43] <Twelveseal> Phallus in wonderland sounds like some bad loli-rape KC fanfic
    [16:43] <@Sei> THAT'S what i wanna see

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    I don't think this bill will get anything done. Even on the off chance it passes, they wouldn't have enough jail cells to keep the half of America that would get arrested. In the same way that dozens of things are illegal and still get done, there would be no way to enforce the bill. Even if they tried to control the info, many casual hackers on the internet could easily get by, and there would be no way to actually punish people for doing so.
    And old people don't usually get new media, so they have absolutely no idea what they're actually trying to do.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, it's approximately as enforceable as British "super-injunctions" are, in fact (i.e. "not very").

The only difference being that companies like Twitter, Facebook etc. are based in the US, so they actually do have to obey US law. If this passes, I can see companies like that (and YouTube etc.) losing a lot of business to sites based outside the US, where they can't be sued in the same way.

Oh, and BTW, we've actually already had shit like this. A couple of years ago, some company got a court order in Britain to prevent a newspaper printing details of them dumping toxic waste in Africa. It took the journalists in question leaking the information to Wikileaks to expose it, in the end.