Thread: Possible additions/improvements

Possible additions/improvements

Hello staffmembers and normal members.

I have some questions regarding some elements of the forum. Such as the currently browsing feature, the way the twitter tags load and the current elements on the quick reply and advanced reply bar. I understand that most of these questions I'll ask don't require an answer or action, but a reply is appreciated nonetheless. Also my apologies if there already is a thread for this or this is the wrong place to ask. Feel free to move the thread or close it if needed.

For starters, is it perhaps possible to include more elements to the quick reply bar, like collapse tags or spoiler tags. I'm not sure if its possible at all, but including some decently used elements might be nice. Which tags could be included can also be discussed in this thread if it comes to that.

Second, tags in general. There are certain tags that could be altered to possibly be improved. The spoiler tag for example works fine in a thread if used properly, but the activity feed shows the spoiler content unless [] are used inside the tag. Perhaps the tag can be altered in such a way that these square brackets are there from the get go.

so instead of this:
    spoiler
    content

it would be this:
    spoiler
    [content]

On the topic of tags, the twitter tags. They tend to mess up your last time visit page, badly. I'm not sure if this can be fixed, but mentioning it here can't hurt.
    Also, did you know there are 4 collapse tags? Perhaps that can be included in the advanced reply bar, if possible of course.
    And lastly, since this post is already becoming annoyingly lenghty, the currently browsing feature. Iirc I believe Seika mentioned that it isn't actually accurate.

Again, I understand that not all of these (or any given some reasoning) points require an action or answer, but it is appreciated nonetheless. Also if there's anything i missed or anything you'd like to include, feel free to add it to this thread.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    he spoiler tag for example works fine in a thread if used properly, but the activity feed shows the spoiler content unless [] are used inside the tag.
    That's a feature. It's meant to dissuade people from using the Activity Stream because the Activity Stream is terrible and shouldn't be used.

Subscribe to threads and click New Posts like normal people, you freaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    500595933 | 紅 (pm)
    subscribe, leave a comment, press the like button

On the topic of tags, the twitter tags. They tend to mess up your last time visit page, badly.
    The problem is, the twitter tags loads later (which "stretches" the post) after you are send to the first new post, so you land few posts above the actual one. IIRC, someone asked about this and it cannot be really fixed.

Also, did you know there are 4 collapse tags?
    shhh, don't tell anyone, it was supposed to be a secret

- - - Updated - - -

This post about twitter tags:

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    In general, that can be solved by a soft-refresh (i.e. F5 and equivalents, not Ctrl+F5). All the images should be cached if you haven't changed pages, so it won't reload them and will just take you to the proper post. I think this works with our Twitter code, but I'm not certain.

E: It does, at least on Firefox.
    Chaldea Heroes

Personal skill
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamFSN View Post
    Nikiri has what I dub Blessings of the Boobs, see. As long as what his rolling for has two conspicuous mountains, they'll come to him one way or another.
    Well, fine. Nikiri has this thing called 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikiri View Post
    GundamFSN. Thank you.

Just before rolling I said 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」

First ticket. Da Vinci-chan NP2.

subscribe, leave a comment, press the like button
    We youtube now

Also thanks for answering about twitter.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The problem is, the twitter tags loads later (which "stretches" the post) after you are send to the first new post, so you land few posts above the actual one. IIRC, someone asked about this and it cannot be really fixed.
    I thought it was just a large amount of images that caused that, like in all the fan club threads. To re-align it I just hit 'Go' on my address bar and it jumps to the proper post, while all the images have loaded.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    500595933 | 紅 (pm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I thought it was just a large amount of images that caused that, like in all the fan club threads. To re-align it I just hit 'Go' on my address bar and it jumps to the proper post, while all the images have loaded.
    More tweets with images causes bigger jumps.

- - - Updated - - -

On Firefox, if you load the thread in a new tab, you can notice that the tweets will fully load only after you proceed to the new tab.
    Chaldea Heroes

Personal skill
    Nikiri has what I dub Blessings of the Boobs, see. As long as what his rolling for has two conspicuous mountains, they'll come to him one way or another.
    Well, fine. Nikiri has this thing called 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」
    GundamFSN. Thank you.

Just before rolling I said 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」

First ticket. Da Vinci-chan NP2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Second, tags in general. There are certain tags that could be altered to possibly be improved. The spoiler tag for example works fine in a thread if used properly, but the activity feed shows the spoiler content unless [] are used inside the tag. Perhaps the tag can be altered in such a way that these square brackets are there from the get go.

so instead of this:
    spoiler
    content

it would be this:
    spoiler
    [content]
    I've talked about this before (I'll dig it up and make a second post/edit it in) but we can't make it insert those tags. Or we technically can - and, in fact, I briefly did - but the inserted [] are stripped out in the same way the Activity Stream strips out all markup, so that you don't end up with broken tags everywhere.

This is why that second collapse tag exists - I made it because it's a viable way to make sure only the 'title' of the spoiler is displayed to the Activity Stream. It reverses the case of [collapse], which reveals the text 'under the cut' to the Stream. If you look at the forum FAQ, you'll notice that I have recommended people use [collapse2] to signal their spoilers for that reason.

Also, did you know there are 4 collapse tags? Perhaps that can be included in the advanced reply bar, if possible of course.
    They're at least documented in the guide, which I guessed was the problem when I first looked at this. (Putting that up on the top bar was another minor improvement I threw up a while back).

In general, for shifting things into Quick Reply/Advanced Reply, we run into space limitations, like we did with emotes, where it won't display the whole lot, a fact brought into sharp relief now we've added KAIZA's lot. I might be able to make the other collapse tags show up in Advanced, if I can come up with a suitable icon - let me fiddle with that for a bit, after supper. (I did add the Pixiv, Twitter, normal Collapse, and Ruby tags to Advanced Reply some time ago, which I think is why my brain's telling me we don't have any more room in Quick Reply).

And lastly, since this post is already becoming annoyingly lenghty, the currently browsing feature. Iirc I believe Seika mentioned that it isn't actually accurate.
    That's just a limitation of how the forum software detects what you're looking at, with maybe an occasional random bug. In either case, there's not a lot we can do about it from our side either.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Here: experiments with the testspoiler tag which throws up [] around your text and does absolutely nothing for the Activity Stream.

This was a really messy tag
    [Hi, everyone!]
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    This was a really messy tag
    [Hi, everyone!]
    Morning.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Thank you for your reply Seika, this makes things a lot more clear.

Blog Entries
    Mmmm.

On the one hand, I gave all the collapse tags icons, so they now show up in the Advanced Reply editor. On the other, the interface doesn't allow for re-ordering without deleting other tags, so collapse is forever separated from its numbered bretheren. (No, I wasn't creative about the icons, but I wasn't creative about the collapse icon in the first place. Also, making 16x16 icons that are in any way readable is hard).

It's possible one or other of us will stumble onto the (non-existent?) admin panel option that actually allows you to edit the buttons for Quick Reply/Advanced Reply at some point, but I think this is the best I can offer until then.

(On the plus side, I found the smilie-box options, so you now get the full suite displayed).
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

(On the plus side, I found the smilie-box options, so you now get the full suite displayed).
    Thank you so much for that.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Ooooooh, thank you Seika. I appreciate it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Oh, I did not know that. Then again I write out the tags myself as that's faster. I'll try to keep in mind to use brackets for my spoilers.

Then again I don't use the activity feed so that's probably why I never noticed.