Page 1 of 11 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast's Lair Banner Contest 2016 ???

Question Beast's Lair Banner Contest 2016 ???

As you may know, it's been four years since BL's last banner contest. A lot changed since 2012, and TM has been busy: new anime, new materials and lore, a lot of new art and, perhaps most importantly, its biggest moneymaker to date - Fate/Grand Order. Everything certainly looks better than ever. Should BL follow suit?

A lot of banners are still very dear to us, but some (me) are of the opinion that we can do better now, and also make it an occasion for the community to offer something new and pretty to look at. And for something to actually finally happen.

What's everyone's opinion on this? Should a new banner contest take place? Do you want to remove ke- the old banners completely, keep the best ones (after voting on what the best ones even are), or keep them all and add some new ones? Or do nothing at all? Or something else entirely?

Also, how many people would be interested in making new ones?

Give your two cents ITT please!

(mod and admin opinions especially welcomed, since they're the ones who'll have the final say anyway)

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IMO the best way is to just use something similar to the old format (without quite as silly quotient rules) and treat the old banners like submissions to the contest (unless their original creators want them out of the rotation) so they can be voted on just like the new ones produced in a contest. There's really no need to throw out some of the great looking ones just because we want NEW STUFF.

I'd really like people that are willing and wanting to produce new banners to speak up since wanting new ones is all fine and fun but we actually do need volunteers for this (this is why frontpage will never be a thing)
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know my filthy, dirty opinions, Snow, don't make me say them again in public. :<
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

I do, Five, but I feel like there must be at least a pretense of caring for the public opinion.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    imo keep the old ones, contests are dumb, let people submit new ones whenever.

Within reason ie don't go all TheSpy on us and start mass producing them.

Blog Entries
    If you don't want people submitting too many all you gotta do is put a limit on the amount people can enter.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, yeah...

Anyhow, I think that the old banners should be treated as effective entries in the new contest, but it might be worth it to make a poll on which old ones are the best and set a certain number which will be kept. Of course, a single poll for all the total entries could work too.

Definitely not good to keep ALL the old banners because some of them really haven't aged well, or weren't that good to begin with. No rep-by-fandom rules like last time, either, because that can't go well. If it ends up all GO banners all day erry day, I suppose that's what happens.

I'll see what I can do to make new banners considering that I've got some free time coming up, and they'll probably be terrible but I'll try nonetheless! We should also make a list of official TM artists and official art sources, just so that it's easier for people to find art to use since fanart definitely can't be included in the banners except I'm kinda specific circumstances.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post

I hate contests yeah but some system of updating new submissions constantly should exist and that's constant work for someone, but I guess if there are volunteers...

I dunno why adding new banners is something that needs to be done with all the formality and procedures of Official Forum Business. Just issue a call for people to make banners until [DATE], and then put submissions to vote to figure out what to add.

Now removing old banners from the rotation, that might warrant the formation of an Evaluating Squad of Certified Aesthetes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    I dunno why adding new banners is something that needs to be done with all the formality and procedures of Official Forum Business. Just issue a call for people to make banners until [DATE], and then put submissions to vote to figure out what to add.
    That's because I'm queasy about working, effectively, 'behind the leaders' backs'. The technicalities of implementing new ones certainly require input from higher instances.

- - - Updated - - -

And making a thread and getting, like, two entries would be very sad.

Blog Entries
    You could also just add another option to leave the old banner rotation in for those who want if there are any like with what happened to the original BL skin.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post

Voting is nice because it lets us uphold a standard of quality which seems to be the biggest problem people have with the current ones and I don't think we have Qualified Sorting Aestheticians among the staff to objectively grade all the banners.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    You could also just add another option to leave the old banner rotation in for those who want if there are any like with what happened to the original BL skin.
    Why would anyone want that

Just limit each person to two or three submissions then it stops the madness of someone having 100 banners. (Why this was not thought of originally is beyond me.)

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I don't think we have Qualified Sorting Aestheticians among the staff to objectively grade all the banners.
    Perhaps not but, by God, there sometimes exists an objective bad.

Blog Entries
    Whatever gets rid of bl-tan
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    execute BL-tan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife View Post
    Just limit each person to two or three submissions then it stops the madness of someone having 100 banners. (Why this was not thought of originally is beyond me.)
    We were young, and desperate

Killing BL-tan is like cutting down the tree your grandpa planted in the garden when he built the house just because it's one of those trees that smell like semen. Have some space in your heart for token sentimentality!

or like, redesign her, it's not like the creator is gonna get any madder (or even know)

Blog Entries
    Nah BL-tan is great, she can stay even if it's only a single banner. Hmm, redesign is not a bad idea actually I wouldn't mind being charge of that.