4 9.76%
  • Satsugi Kurogiri

2 4.88%
  • Misaya Ouji

19 46.34%
  • Meruka Kuramitsu

5 12.20%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's the Worst Villain in Kara no Kyoukai?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Fujou: Reacting viscerally to a desire, not even entirely clear she knows what she's doing
    Fujinon: Reacting viscerally to a desire, entirely clear she knows what she's doing
    Cornelius: Wanted to get ahead in life
    Araya: Through a visionary work of performance art he exposes the fundamental antagonisms inherent to the 'homogeneous empty time' of late capitalism
    Kurogiri: The inconsolable loneliness of being the only Welshman who doesn't look like Saber
    Ouji: Some kind of towering Jesus-based rage at the hazy recollection of being seduced by some kind of cruel Samoan
    Lio: Reacting viscerally and/or instrumentally to a desire, in both cases entirely clear he knows what he's doing
    Kuramitsu: Chuunibyou

Yeah, it's hard to say who is actually evil here.
    ftfy
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    look if you don't want to punch Mikiya multiple times in the story then there's legitimately something wrong with you
    hmmm i see
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I'd say Cornelius is without a doubt the worst, morally speaking. He's motivated mostly by petty jealousy and egotism rather then personal trauma or idealism like a lot of the other villains,
    alba is fine
    he's an example of a clearly above average person who got showed how transcendent true genius was and ended up really fucked up, like most people would in his situation.

you've definitely been hearing wrong about these characters.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    frankly this would have been a more interesting poll if you had been referring to the latter
    Just barely.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    alba is fine
    he's an example of a clearly above average person who got showed how transcendent true genius was and ended up really fucked up, like most people would in his situation.

you've definitely been hearing wrong about these characters.
    The same is true with Shinji. He's still a grade-A dick.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ftfy
    lol
    Spoiler:
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    yurusenai
    sounds like you need to...cool your head
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The same is true with Shinji. He's still a grade-A dick.
    i'm glad you pulled that parallel
    that's why RN shinji's fine as well imo
    I hope you're seeing the reoccurring character archetypes here, what they mean, and how they function

Blog Entries
    i'm glad you pulled that parallel
    that's why RN shinji's fine as well imo
    I hope you're seeing the reoccurring character archetypes here, what they mean, and how they function
    RN meaning Realta Nua? As in, without the rape?

Shinji is also considered almost universally one of the least sympathetic TM villains though. While he does have reasons behind his actions, since they tend to be extremely petty and self-centered he comes off poorly compared to more ideological villains who truly believe they're doing good, or even one like Kirei who at least acknowledges how epically messed up he is.

However, I guess you could also view it that Shinji's more "human" brand of villainy earns him more vitriol precisely because he's closer to what the average person might do in that situation, without any over-the-top backstory or mental trauma that'd allow the reader to, while sympathizing, also conveniently distance themselves from his actions. While Shinji or Alba's particular actions are certainly extreme, jealousy and anger at being outshone driving you to do things you regret is probably something a whole lot of people can relate to.

Well, that's my bout of probably baseless psychoanalysis for today. Hope you enjoyed it, everybody!

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Shinji is also considered almost universally one of the least sympathetic TM villains though. While he does have reasons behind his actions, since they tend to be extremely petty and self-centered he comes off poorly compared to more ideological villains who truly believe they're doing good, or even one like Kirei who at least acknowledges how epically messed up he is.
    Shinji's actually one of the most sympathic villains in Fate, not because of himself, but because of the complete Monsters you have to compare him with. Gilgamesh wants to destroy humanity so they worship him. Kirei wants to watch people break psychologically. Zouken Has forgotten the whole reason he wanted the grail and now will do absolutely anything to keep himself alive. Medea is sort of sympathetic but most of that comes from the additional materials fleshing out her and Kuzuki. Sakura I don't know whether to classify her as a Villain or a Heroine since she fills both roles in her route and really got screwed over by the world.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

祖 Ancestor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Gilgamesh wants to destroy humanity so they worship him.
    ?

Gil's motive had nothing to do with this. He wanted to "destroy" humanity for a reason similar to Araya and Goetia's.

They suck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronove View Post
    ?

Gil's motive had nothing to do with this. He wanted to "destroy" humanity for a reason similar to Araya and Goetia's.

They suck.
    He does say stuff like how it's unforgivable for mongrels to be enjoying their lives without praising the king though, so there's clearly an element of that as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, pretty much all of those characters listed above except Zouken (who's pretty much all of Shinji's evils dialed up a thousand-fold) are treated as cool and likeable for all their vile acts, both by the work itself (to some degree) and most certainly the fandom.

Gilgamesh has the world's awesomest ego and does genuinely care for some of his "subjects", Kirei is an emotionally tormented badass whose desperate wish is to ask God why He created a monster like him, Medea was betrayed and treated like a pawn by the man she loved and Sakura... well, safe to say there's no need to get into the horrors she suffered.

Shinji's evil may not compare with that of the above in terms of sheer scale, but it's the sheer pettiness of it that makes him so easily hateable, at least to a good percent of the fandom.

- - - Updated - - -

To some extent though the hate on Shinji is probably excessive, smarmy little creep that he is. I mean, Gilgamesh was pretty much a(n attempted) rapist in his interactions with Saber and that doesn't stop him from being practically beloved by the fandom. Compare the amount of fics shipping Gilgamesh x Arturia with those of Shinji x Sakura and you'll see what I mean... Both in real life and fiction, being a popular, cool-looking guy with a strong presence can excuse a lot of shit that "lesser" men would be crucified for outright...

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    And while it was made partially in jest, Cornelius actually has less outright villainy attributed to him than the majority of them because at no point in the story does he actually kill anyone besides sort-of Touko, which itself is "lol magus morals"
    I don't know, I'd argue he shares some of the responsibility for the deaths caused by the apartment complex.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I don't know, I'd argue he shares some of the responsibility for the deaths caused by the apartment complex.
    'deaths'

'caused'
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't the apartment complex just one giant social experiment Araya did before he replaced the residents with puppets?
    Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Shinji's evil may not compare with that of the above in terms of sheer scale, but it's the sheer pettiness of it that makes him so easily hateable, at least to a good percent of the fandom.
    which is strange because the works, especially the works that are coming out, now keep impressing on us that his wish to be able to use magecraft is not something something petty at all.
    for example
    Quote Originally Posted by case files
    Because magecraft was, in its essence, pleasure.

The euphoria of wielding a power that transcended the common world. Even if it was a discipline trapped in the past, giving up that joy that was greater than anything else life had to offer was difficult. Before the pleasure magecraft brought, even the pain and suffering brought on by the learning process was as nothing.
    shinji's lust for magecraft and his wonder for it is something that is definitely justified, in text if I might add. It's not just simple "pettiness"
    While all his actions like hitting his sister and whatnot may not be, that's something else.
    Last edited by You; February 9th, 2017 at 10:56 AM.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also something something you can't do this thing you were literally born to do so you're worthless something something
    that's gonna fuck you up

but this is a knk thread so I'll just say that Alba is good

Blog Entries
    which is strange because the works, especially the works that are coming out, now keep impressing on us that his wish to be able to use magecraft is not something something petty at all.
    for example

shinji's lust for magecraft and his wonder for it is something that is definitely justified, in text if I might add. It's not just simple "pettiness"
    While all his actions like hitting his sister and whatnot may not be, that's something else.
    Meanwhile, in F/SN, it was all about how Rin's crest keeps giving her a compulsion to cut her arm off, Sakura's infested by rapeworms, and Shirō only fails to cripple himself by total accident.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair