Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best and most important Bionicle storyline?

Banned

Best and most important Bionicle storyline?

Well!?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    The Toa Metru were cool and tall people are statistically cooler than short people so tall Toa are thus peak cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Toa Nuva, boy. Nothing can beat the second iteration.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I have all seven of them. They were my first set.

Hell, I even watched Mask of Light.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a Takua and Jaller impression.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Isn't bionic that lego knockoff for kids are too stupid to put stuff together themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Excuse you.

You did have to put them together too

Banned
    it's also kinda hard to be a lego knockoff when you're a lego product

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    I literally remember nothing about the bionicle stories but I remember they were either really cool or really lame. I should play the lego bionicle game.

Banned
    local bionicle expert LeopardCat can probably explain

personally I lost track after Metru Nui

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    mask of light gg
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Mask of Light.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    whichever one had all american rejects in it

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Mask of Light was probably the peak of Bionicle, story-wise. It got kind of convoluted after awhile but it didn't really jump the shark until they moved planets.
    JP Support

Spoiler:

US Support
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyvale View Post
    Toa Nuva, boy. Nothing can beat the second iteration.
    Have to agree, though for the storyline, I'd have to say the first, with the flash game.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Turbo necroing because I felt inspired to search Bionicle on this forum and found this thread. I entered the game late (09), but ravenously consumed all the lore for both generations (lol what lore for g2). AMA to find out how friggin weird things got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm deeply interested now.

What even is Bionicle my dude?

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    Was that the Dark Hunter building contest? I'm referring to the BZPower writing contests, but IIRC some of the stories from the building contests were canonized in the Rahi and Dark Hunters book, as well. Sorry that you weren't featured, I'm sure whatever you made was better than this piece of shit.
    Mine was twice as big so it was obviously better. Also it had three heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    even that doesn't save the twist with the Bohrok actually being Matoran
    Explain further

- - - Updated - - -

And didn't the Piraka kill the Toa Nuva? How'd they come back? I started losing touch with Bionicle after the Toa Inika became a cool, but unsatisfying to build thing.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I'm deeply interested now.

What even is Bionicle my dude?
    Gathered friends, listen again to our legend of the Bionicle.

In the time before time, around the turn of the century, Lego was in deep shit. They weren't the moneymakers they once were. Their Star Wars sets were hot sellers, but licensing fees cut their profits severely. Kids liked story in their sets, so they set out to cook up an original story-driven IP. They aped off the building style of their Slizers/Throwbots range, which as far as I know was a modest success, and applied it to a concentrated storytelling effort.

An early iteration of Bionicle was known as the Boneheads of Voodoo Island and featured tribal robotic characters who knocked each others' heads off. This was fucking terrifying, but the robots-on-an-island idea had merit. Bionicle as we know it is primarily the brainchild of Christian Faber, who was dealing with health issues at the time and came up with a peculiar idea: what if the capsules he was taking contained tiny heroes that fought the evil forces within his body? Thus came the central idea of Bionicle: the Toa are heroes arriving on the island of Mata Nui in canisters with the task of vanquishing the evil Makuta and awaken Mata Nui, the deity after whom the island was named. In reality he was a giant robot inside of whom an entire universe existed. This was supposed to be revealed at the end of the launch year, 2001, but the franchise was such a runaway success that it was saved for the climax of the 2008 storyline.

A large part of its early success can be attributed to a very ahead of its time multimedia push. On top of sets and commercials, there were comics, console games, web games, a very fun to navigate website, contests, you name it. There was going to be a movie as early as year 1, but there were complications and the first one came out in 2003. There was also the infamous case of The Legend of Mata Nui, a heavily marketed PC and GameCube game set to release in October of 2001 that was cancelled at the last second due to a convoluted pyramid scheme involving the developers that we only found out about this year. Previous theories ranged from Lego reworking the franchise's direction (which actually was true on top of the aforementioned scandal) and it being too late to rework the game to 9/11 directly killing the game. This game was supposed to be the centerpiece of the media, but luckily for Lego the flash game Mata Nui Online Game (MNOG) also became a big hit and it was given the reins to wrap up the year's story. I'm not sure if novels were planned from the get-go, but they started being published in 03.

The story was very formulaic early on, only given color by the aforementioned MNOG and a few other tie-ins like the Bohrok Online Animations. The latter half of 2003 raised the stakes a little and 04 bucked the trend, taking us back in time and telling us the story of the island's elders (the Turaga, who used to be the Toa Metru, later Toa Hordika). This is when we learned that the Toa we knew (now known as the Toa Nuva) were not the first Toa, that Matoran (the villagers) could become Toa, who in turn could become Turaga and that beneath Mata Nui lay a futuristic city known as Metru Nui.

05 continued the flashback (unnecessarily yet entertainingly so, at least to a degree; this year saw the release of Time Trap, which is by far the best story Bionicle told) and began delving into the universe beyond the year's primary setting. Greg Farshtey, who penned the novels, stood at the forefront of the story team (though it was still a team effort), he was the face and the one who was responsible for most of the worldbuilding. He began writing serials, which told side stories about characters who didn't even exist as sets. 05 began the idea of shifting the tone to a darker one, and 06 ran with it. Mata Nui wasn't just asleep, he was dying. He needed the Mask of Life, which was in a dangerous island called Voya Nui. The Toa Nuva went there had their asses handed to them by vile gangsters known as the Piraka and six Matoran embarked on a journey to the Bionicle version of hell to meet the Bionicle version of the devil and become Toa (known as the Toa Inika) to find it.

Once they closed in on the mask and they encountered Bionicle's version of Deadpool (who at this point had yet to acquire his 4th wall powers), the mask decided to troll them and dived underwater. The Toa (now transformed into the Toa Mahri cause lolmutation) followed it into a sunken city. One of the Toa sacrificed his life to revive Mata Nui and the other five returned home sad. Now the original Toa head to the core of the universe to awaken the revived Mata Nui. They succeed and holy shit giant robot but holy shit Makuta snuck into the brain when Mata Nui was dead and he's in control now. Mata Nui's consciousness is tucked away into the Mask of Life and launched into outer space instead of imprisoned or destroyed cause reasons. It lands in post-apocalyptic Bara Magna, he gains the respect of the people, finds a new giant robot because plot twist the giant robot was created on that planet for science (you monster) and GIANT ROBOT FIGHT!

Then the story rushed to an end because the sets sold poorly because of a story kids couldn't follow anymore. Still, Greg continued the serials for a while, setting up a new overarching plotline post-restoration of Spherus Magna (the planet Bara Magna was once part of) but he became busy and stopped. Thus the story ended with three of the original Toa in an uncertain situation (one of whom is in very mortal danger), a superweapon secretly launched and ready to assassinate almost everyone and the twist that (almost) everyone who died was actually brought back to life but they weren't able to respawn and now they're zombies.

I severely abridged and glossed over the meat of the story, particularly the main villain Makuta. Feel free to ask me to expand on anything that piques your curiosity.
    Last edited by Toa of Gallifrey; September 2nd, 2018 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spaced that shit out better
    tfw no Fate/One

Mine was twice as big so it was obviously better. Also it had three heads. Explain further

- - - Updated - - -

And didn't the Piraka kill the Toa Nuva? How'd they come back? I started losing touch with Bionicle after the Toa Inika became a cool, but unsatisfying to build thing.
    >Bohrok being Matoran

You know how Takua was the Toa of Light? Well, he wasn't a Ta-Matoran who changed elements to light; he was secretly an Av-Matoran, a Matoran of Light. He didn't know this because the Order of Mata Nui (the illuminati) wiped everyone's memories of them to protect them from the Makuta, which is why Takua somehow never fit in with the Ta-Matoran. They either reassigned them to other metru/villages or hid them off in Karda Nui, the core of the universe, where IIRC they had access to low level powers because of it being the core. Turns out that their main role was to transform into Bohrok, who were supposed to awaken when Mata Nui (being) was ready to rise so they could reduce the island of Mata Nui to a wasteland and the robot could wake up easier (lol the 2009 fucked up and showed the island as a lush place when it should've been dust what fakers). Makuta awakened them early because he got tired of using the Rahi. The Toa Nuva later had to re-awaken the Bahrag Queens, who made them eat humble pie (fuck you Bahrag you made your motives vague and unclear of course they froze you in carbonite).

tl;dr Nuparu built the Boxors out of the limbs of his transformed kin. What a fucking psycho.

>Toa Nuva wasted

I think the first 06 book carried the implication they died, but no they were just taken prisoner and had their masks taken away. I don't remember if the Toa Inika or the Voya Nui Resistance freed them (I think both had a hand, but mostly the Resistance) but they were told to go take care of other business (such as the Bahrag stuff, and getting that cryptic sundial from MNOG, which was made small and given to Takanuva for reasons that I don't remember but had to do with Karda Nui [probably finding the Core]. Also Gali nuked hell, literally. She destroyed Karzahni (island) with a Nuva Blast.)

The inika build is terrible and I hold it responsible for killing Bionicle setwise.
    tfw no Fate/One

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    One of the Toa sacrificed his life to revive Mata Nui and the other five returned home sad.
    Matoro, I assume?

And man, now I'm remembering the Mask of Light and the Toa Metru/Hordika movies. I'm salty all over again that the Mask of Light only got made out of four of the Great Discs instead of all six. And now I'm double salty about the awesome Toa before the Metrus, Novik and I-something and the rest who got turned into dwarves by Roodaka, fuck you Roodaka and your spider horde.

So where did the Makutas come from? Were they protectors gone bad or something?
    canon finish apo vol 3