Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring 17 Anime Season

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Spoilers for episode 4 of Shingeki No Bahamut
    So, now it's been revealed that Jeanne is Mugaro's mother, I wonder who the father is? Presumably Michael, having somehow impregnated her with that kiss back when she was Jeanne Dark (if you'll excuse the pun)...

Also, just about every scene with Nina and Azazel together is a freaking treasure. Especially when Azazel just cavalierly suggests she make love to him to activate his powers (can't decide if he's a perv or just really oblivious, since I don't remember him showing any real interest in sexuality back in the first season). Though, that'd certainly bring a whole new meaning to the combat couple archetype...
    Last edited by RoydGolden; April 29th, 2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

Blog Entries
    Today, in Re-Creators:

Talking heads! And nothing interesting happens... aside from a pocky game.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Here's to hoping Mamika doesn't die in front of Alice or vice versa. Also it's nice that Meteora got closure about her world. As for Hard-Boiled, I swear I've heard his voice before. Who is he?

So next is Shinji, huh? I wonder how he'll turn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Damn, that was a good episode of Academia.

Monoma made one mistake; he pissed Bakugou off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Phil12's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    304,680,406/Phil12
    Endeavor animated looks amazing

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Lock View Post
    Today, in Re-Creators:

Talking heads! And nothing interesting happens... aside from a pocky game.
    Tell me about it. This show's pace has just about slowed down to a crawl over the last two episodes. I get that they want to explain the premise thoroughly, but surely there'd be some way to abbreviate it in a more reasonable way. As it is, almost half the episode was spent with all the major characters sitting in a room talking. I can only hope that next week we'll get back to the frenetic pacing that made this show so much fun.

That said, the conversations on Gunpuku's side were genuinely pretty fascinating. Unlike the other Creations so far, Alicetaria genuinely hates her Creator and blames them for all the horrors that befell her fictional world. Her points are mostly the same ones I brought up earlier in my weekly commentary, so while I have my doubts as to how the show can resolve them satisfactorily it's good to see it at least recognizes the issue.

Also, that bonding scene between her and Mamika was simply adorable. They get along pretty well, for being of diametrically opposite genres and all... (Dark fantasy and light-hearted Mahou Shoujo fare)

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    ToZ the X Finale.

...Meh.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    The best thing about ToZ anime was the awesome Ufo animation and the OST. The show itself ended up being really mediocre and couldn't make you care about the characters. I won't miss this show.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Their first mistake was animating Zestiria and not Xillia. :P

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping there would be an alternate take on the original game scenario. There were definitely divergences early on and the big change with Alisha that I had hope for. But they just went with the same ending, albeit an expansion of it. Nothing new to say about animation, visuals, and OST since ufotable did the game's cutscenes already and just came back to do it again.

It was pointless and disappointing.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    The best thing about ToZ anime was the awesome Ufo animation and the OST. The show itself ended up being really mediocre and couldn't make you care about the characters. I won't miss this show.
    The best thing they did was two episode cutaway to the newest game with the better characters and story. It actually got me to buy the game, so mission accomplished I guess.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    The best thing they did was two episode cutaway to the newest game with the better characters and story. It actually got me to buy the game, so mission accomplished I guess.
    I guess that's true.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do we just talk about Berserk here, or does Berserk have its own thread?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    It's got its own threaderino, yep.

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...lack-Swordsman
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Today, in Re-Creators:

Talking heads! And nothing interesting happens...
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Tell me about it. This show's pace has just about slowed down to a crawl over the last two episodes. I get that they want to explain the premise thoroughly, but surely there'd be some way to abbreviate it in a more reasonable way. As it is, almost half the episode was spent with all the major characters sitting in a room talking. I can only hope that next week we'll get back to the frenetic pacing that made this show so much fun.
    I actually love how cerebral and talky the show is this early on. All the philosophically-related navel gazing about the nature of the world and its relation to fiction and vice-versa and everyone -- i.e. Professor Meteora, mostly :P -- puzzlig out their roles here and speculation on the possible consequences is The Goodest Shit. Couple the parallels between the creations' relations with their creators and "real-life" metaphysics, theosophy, and the nature of humanity's relationship with a 'God' that may or may not exist... sure, it's surface level Philosophy 101, but it's an angle near and dear to me, so I'm super into the way Re:Creators has been taking its time with it.

Might be because I really like hearing Meteora talk, but everything else previously said still applies!

Also it BTFOs the impatient sorts who've already dropped it by now because there wasn't enough flash for their pubescent minds. The show is 22 episodes, after all, and at this point it can go off in virtually any direction, so it definitely has the leeway to stop and smell those proverbial roses.

(Not pointing fingers at anyone, just saying in general because I know there are people like that who wanted more Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny right from the get-go)
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; April 29th, 2017 at 09:06 PM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Saw the latest Lupin movie yesterday. Damn is that treat for eyes. Also the villain is basically America-man.

Gundam Thunderbolt also continues to be absolutely incredible.

And to cap off my watch of great OVA's I watched the newest Strike the Blood. I don't know what it is with that show. It's so unremarkable, but I enjoy it so much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    I actually love how cerebral and talky the show is this early on. All the philosophically-related navel gazing about the nature of the world and its relation to fiction and vice-versa and everyone -- i.e. Professor Meteora, mostly :P -- puzzlig out their roles here and speculation on the possible consequences is The Goodest Shit. Couple the parallels between the creations' relations with their creators and "real-life" metaphysics, theosophy, and the nature of humanity's relationship with a 'God' that may or may not exist... sure, it's surface level Philosophy 101, but it's an angle near and dear to me, so I'm super into the way Re:Creators has been taking its time with it.

Might be because I really like hearing Meteora talk, but everything else previously said still applies!

Also it BTFOs the impatient sorts who've already dropped it by now because there wasn't enough flash for their pubescent minds. The show is 22 episodes, after all, and at this point it can go off in virtually any direction, so it definitely has the leeway to stop and smell those proverbial roses.

(Not pointing fingers at anyone, just saying in general because I know there are people like that who wanted more Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny right from the get-go)
    First, I hate infodumps. I like Meteora's voice, but not that much.

Second, it is possible to make conversations interesting without resorting to still images and panning shots. Okay, it's a tough task to animate 15 minutes of talking, but if they could liven it up for Mamika and Alicetaria, why not do something similar for goddamn lectures? Not asking for Shaft-style crazy camera angles, but you can't really ask normal people to sit through a series of metaphysical lectures without making it visually engaging.

Basically, it's the same deal as when a really boring teacher tries to give a lecture with tons of interesting info. It falls flat.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Okay, it's a tough task to animate 15 minutes of talking, but if they could liven it up for Mamika and Alicetaria, why not do something similar for goddamn lectures? Not asking for Shaft-style crazy camera angles, but you can't really ask normal people to sit through a series of metaphysical lectures without making it visually engaging.
    You don't even need to go full Shaft, Ufotable managed to do it for 8 KnK movies plus one short that was entirely exposition in the snow.

Although I didn't find this episode anywhere close to boring to begin with.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Saw the latest Lupin movie yesterday. Damn is that treat for eyes. Also the villain is basically America-man.
    Damn, I need to see that film so badly.

Blog Entries
    You don't even need to go full Shaft, Ufotable managed to do it for 8 KnK movies plus one short that was entirely exposition in the snow.

Although I didn't find this episode anywhere close to boring to begin with.
    Yeah, but listening to Touko is music to ears. Ryougi, too. Meteora is nowhere close.

I find anything that involves staring at a static picture with a voiceover boring. Like, the scene when Meteora brought the tension to the max. The music switched up gears for that moment, and the voiceacting got tighter as well. And yeah, I definitely like the themes invoked by the dialo- alright, Meteora's lecture. The animation for that scene, though... Let's say that I was not amused.