Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Beast's Lair Tanabata Exchange Contest! (2017)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Last entry has been submitted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    If the Wall of Shame is empty, does that mean all four failures from last time redeemed themselves?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Cute Boy Who Likes To Show Off Nacho the Doritosedge's Avatar
    I know for a fact that

No

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    We have a separate Wall of Shame for each contest. As of now only one of them has (partially) redeemed themselves.

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Just got the chance to start reading, but
    Four
    I see that this writer is a poster of wealth and taste, possessing a sterling and uncommon wit.

Alright, Bonny & Clyde is a work of shitposting, heartwarming beauty. Whoever wrote this is my hero and my idol.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; July 9th, 2017 at 12:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Shirou/Angelica starts awkward with some repetitively-paced purple prose, but it hits a flow just soon enough that I was left wanting for more.

0/10 no lewd though

Shirou/Rin/Saber (it's important that Rin's in the middle) was charming, and good, and sad, and a bunch of other stuff. Good work, writer.

Shirou/Illya 1 was sad and sweet.

Shirou/Illya 2 was also sad and also sweet and I'm glad it was comparatively lengthy.

Gilles/Jeanne Alter was rather charming, and- wait, what do you mean it was supposed to be a Jeanne Alter/Gudao lemon?

Scathach/hello? Hello? Wasn't there someone else supposed to be here? Well, here's to waiting for the rest of this.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; July 9th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I'll post my thoughts on the others later, but for now:

"Colour" is really, really good. All of the submissions put mine to shame, but this one, especially. I look forward to finding out who wrote it!

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Shirou/Angelica starts awkward with some repetitively-paced purple prose, but it hits a flow just soon enough that I was left wanting for more.
    Imma come forth and say I wrote it and as the title suggested, there will be a continuation.

And I'm rewriting it, I'm not going to use present-tense anymore. It's not doing me any favors to continue using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    0/10 no lewd though
    Better make it ?/10 for now.

Gilles/Jeanne Alter was rather charming, and- wait, what do you mean it was supposed to be a Jeanne Alter/Gudao lemon?
    D:

It's incomplete, so I'll hope...
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And with that, we're done.

In first place, we have Colour with 13 points!

Tied in second place, both with 12 points, we have Last Winter and Bonny & Clyde & the Eight-Hour Adventure!

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you all for a successful contest!

Blog Entries
    Well that's a stupid winner. Why would you do that, voters? You're all disgraces.

In seriousness, congratulations to the other medallists, and to everyone for managing to give us a Wall-of-Shame-free round. And a deserved thanks to Kirby for running the thing.

I've already owned up to my 'fic and my pool, so that's out of the way, but I'd love to be able to thank the Last Winter writer for their response. (So good!)

I'd like to have filled out a couple of my vignettes more, and I think TwilightsCall should have been less hesitant about calling me out for how short some of them were, but I think they're probably pretty fixed in my mind at this point, and I won't be able to expand them in a decent fashion. So I'll likely just run a last eye over them, maybe add a couple of sentences, and then throw up a thread and AO3/ff.net posts sometime tonight. Despite some of my shortcutting, I did enjoy writing this a lot, and it's been a terribly long time since I did anything of this length, so I'd love to discuss and ramble about it.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

So, a few additional thoughts on the fics.

Bonnie & Clyde / Last Winter
    It was very hard deciding between both of these for second place. Usually, I'd favour "Last Winter" because I do enjoy melancholic pieces and this fic is genuinely poignant - with the added bonus of building on canon, even! In the end, I favoured "Bonnie & Clyde" partly because I feel comedy is harder to do well, but mostly because it achieved the feat of being actually funny while using a character whose design and concept I genuinely despise! (Blackbeard, if it wasn't obvious.)

Galatea Project Prologue
    I know "Prologue" is right in the name, but I do think it could stand on its own as-is if you wished to do so. My main suggestion is to add some more meat to it, though; since both characters tend to be more laconic - particularly Angelica -, you need the actions and the scene to pull most of the dramatic weight.

Colour
    In retrospect, it's obvious this was written by Seika: the British spelling, the literary references (I mean, there's a freaking reference to the Welsh Triads!)... And yes, I'm saying that in a forum full of extreme nerds from all over the world, you're even more of a nerd, Seika. :-P Seriously, though, this was my prompt, and I am extremely happy with how it turned out!

The only criticism I have (and it's one even I'm not so sure about) is toward the ending: I feel the contrast between their present circumstances and a happier past isn't strong enough considering that, overall, the three had a very good life together (plus, it feels a bit sappy), not to mention it's not as powerful an ending as the one of the previous part (with Rin finally allowing herself to cry once she learns Shirou never made the contract); on the other hand, that last part really is well-written, and ending it at the previous scene would have made the ending a bit too Shirou-centric, which isn't the story you wrote. So, yeah; it's something that felt a bit amiss when I read the fic, but not something which really dragged anything down, and even now I'm not so sure if it should be criticised or not, so let me reiterate that this was an excellent fic, Seika, and that I really enjoyed what you did with my prompt!

(Also, don't be mean to poor Sakura. I wouldn't put it past UBW!Rin to keep tabs on her sister, even if they never fully repair their relationship. :-P)

All One Can Do
    To be honest, I just don't buy Shirou and Illya in a romantic relationship, and that certainly coloured my impressions of this fic. I also feel that Illya probably wouldn't be so much of a submissive partner to Shirou even if she was nearly on her deathbed. That said, it's not badly-written at all, so feel free to ignore my observations. :-)

In the Silence
    I like this fic, I think it's built on a strong idea, and I'm a sucker for parent-child relationships done well; I just feel it needed a bit more development than it actually got. (And yes, I'm aware my shade is a lot blacker than yours. :-P)

As Not Requested
    I know it's incomplete and that the prompt asked for Gudao X Jeanne, but as it stands, it's a good Gilles X Jeanne fic. Short, but sweet. :-)
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; July 19th, 2017 at 11:32 AM.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    As I mentioned before, In the Silence was my prompt. Thanks to the author, whoever you are!

Besides that, I wrote Last Winter. Thank you everyone who voted for it! And I'm glad you seemed to like it so much Seika. I feel like there was a bit more ironing out that the piece deserved, but I'm glad it was well received.

Thanks again Kirby for running the contest!

Blog Entries
    Spoony, I'm replying to you over in the thread I've made for the 'fic, if that's okay.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Spoony, I'm replying to you over in the thread I've made for the 'fic, if that's okay.
    Sure, no problem! And before I forget, thanks a lot for the pointers on my own fic over at the voting thread. I see now what you meant by the unevenness of the writing and I'll be sure to revise it for the finished product.