Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: America, 235 years and counting

True Golden Bear King of BLING Theocrass's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It makes the text more powerful.

Ask TIK - Where all your important life questions can be answered.

Blog Entries
    mike's expanding shere of influence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    mike's expanding shere of influence?
    yours is expanding as well tobias
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Everything is Nobu's fault. King Rorthur's Avatar
    Who's Mike and why should be concerned about him?

I am the herp of my derp. Hurr is my body and durr is my blood. I have created over a thousand derps unknown to durps nor known to hurps
    have withstood durrs to create many derps yet, those hurrs will never herp anything so, as I pray, Unlimited Derp Works
    ~
    Because somehow Kiritsugu managed to make GARcher look like a pussy.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Get out from under that rock, Rory.

And stop hogging all the italics.

Blog Entries
    Is Rorthur joking?

Blog Entries
    Ror.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Get out from under that rock, Rory.

And stop hogging all the italics.
    But I like my rock. T_T

I am the herp of my derp. Hurr is my body and durr is my blood. I have created over a thousand derps unknown to durps nor known to hurps
    have withstood durrs to create many derps yet, those hurrs will never herp anything so, as I pray, Unlimited Derp Works
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King Rorthur View Post
    But I like my rock. T_T
    It's a big rock. All of my friends wish they had a rock that big.

Seriously though, the US basically teaches history like: Yeah Yeah, Fucking Founding Fathers! YEAH! Then Civil War Abe Lincoln The South is BAD SLAVERY IS BAD! Then a little about the Western Expansion then there was this little thing called WWI. Then WWII NAZIS ARE BAD. WE NUKED THE JAPANESE! FUCK YEAH, AMERICA IS BAD ASS! Then oops Vietnam and Desert Storm.

Like any time I asked anything about the Cherokee or any of the other Native American tribes when I was a kid I'd get a blank look and a, "We don't cover that . . ." sort of answer.

Well, I did have one awesome history teacher who answered, "Yeah, they don't want kids learning about how the US was a bunch of assholes."

Lavender
    My school actually covered a bit about the Trail of Tears. I don't really remember how they they portrayed it, but that it was even mentioned I suppose I am grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    "Yeah, they don't want kids learning about how the US was a bunch of assholes."
    Replace "the US" with any home country and you arguably have how history is taught in much of the world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
    My school actually covered a bit about the Trail of Tears. I don't really remember how they they portrayed it, but that it was even mentioned I suppose I am grateful.
    I remember READING about it in a text book in Elementary school, but it was very vague. It wasn't actually covered in the class, I read a head a lot or read stuff that wasn't covered yet because I got board easily and read fast. Go ADHD!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
    Replace "the US" with any home country and you arguably have how history is taught in much of the world.
    What's that phrase?

History's written by the victor or something like that?

Blog Entries
    History is written by the victors.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Except it's really more like history is written to focus on whatever country it's written in.

There are more flaws in text books than you can shake a fist at. There is a reason for this though, entire courses are written by people that want to make the nation they live in as a national tale with the progress of the country as the main hero. It's a rather classic narrative that all stories follow. Why is it that way, because of profit. There is a big concern that so-called popular historians, i.e. books like , do not make sufficient effort to incorporate the fruits of academic historical scholarship in their books. The History Channel is another example that should be looked into, since they also do a bad job with their research in a number of ways....

People don't view history as anything important like math or science. It is easier to tell a story from a nationalistic point of view than what real history reveals to us. To really understand history, one has move past even the "other sides" view of the world. Real history is told from the eyes of the people that lived back then. Read letters or look a photos. Those are the real tidbits of history. Then one has to take the larger picture that is painted with narrative histories to form the real picture.

Let us take the topic of the First Nations/Indians/whatever you want to call the indigenous peoples of the US. There's one movie that mainstream European Americans like and that is Dances with Wolves. I hate the film and I dislike Kevin Costner, why? Because it gets the context of the Native Americans in the wrong light and yet people view this to be history as well. It doesn't show them to be the masters of their own destiny and are still dependent on a white guy to save the day. Why did I bring this up? Because most popular histories still show the natives to be nothing more than a once proud race that is dead and buried. Look at the French and Indian War, you'd think that the Natives would be brought up. Nope. And yet the Iroquois Confederation was more or less attempting to form their own Empire in a region controlled by the Shawnee and were playing the British and French off each other in order to achieve their own goals. Or once the tribes were suppressed by the Euroamericans... Well our history doesn't end in 1892 at Wounded Knee, while the cultures have been forced to assimilate, their cultures are still around. I bet most Americans aren't aware that Natives didn't become legalized citizens until 1924 and that was because thousands of Natives joined the war effort in 1918.

In summary: Most history is dumb downed history and ignores the common people and everyday events in favor of sensational overdone topics.

*King Rorthur is a professional history and has a habit of being weird and researching things that would make mainstream people say "wuh?"*

~