Page 723 of 1898 FirstFirst ... 22362367371371872172272372472572873377382312231723 ... LastLast
Results 14,441 to 14,460 of 37943

Thread: Fate/Grand Order - English

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Maybe if you're aiming to translate for an international company. Remember, this is a freaking mobile game, and Aniplex is actually outsourcing the TL job to like half a dozen companies/individuals/magical fairies probably.

There are varying levels of bilingualism. You can be taught the most commonly used English by the best tutors in Japan, but a strong Liverpool accent will destroy everything you thought you knew about the english language, or language in general, or you could just be stumped when a typical english conversation goes through a fairly standard "match last night, man u verse arsenal, shameful display, djoo see the look on the refs face tho, classic innit"

Bilingualism doesn't just have a single axis between Y/N.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Maybe if you're aiming to translate for an international company. Remember, this is a freaking mobile game, and Aniplex is actually outsourcing the TL job to like half a dozen companies/individuals/magical fairies probably.
    Aniplex USA, all jokes aside, is an international company. This "freaking mobile game" is grossing more than some AAA titles and for a much smaller overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    There are varying levels of bilingualism. You can be taught the most commonly used English by the best tutors in Japan, but a strong Liverpool accent will destroy everything you thought you knew about the english language, or language in general, or you could just be stumped when a typical english conversation goes through a fairly standard "match last night, man u verse arsenal, shameful display, djoo see the look on the refs face tho, classic innit"

Bilingualism doesn't just have a single axis between Y/N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Fluency might vary, but there is such a thing as a professional standard, at least.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Aniplex USA, all jokes aside, is an international company. This "freaking mobile game" is grossing more than some AAA titles and for a much smaller overhead.
    Yep. I've made that same point, but companies will be companies. Why pay more for in-house things when you can outsource cheaper elsewhere?

Again, to be passably bilingual you'd have to have lived in both countries, or at least be immersed in the culture, for a period of a couple years.

Even if there's, say, a Chinese kid who grows up in LA, talks to his parents in fluent Chinese, and has the most East Coast "Dude" you've ever heard*, there's stuff he isn't gonna understand in Chinese culture because his parents either didn't, or couldn't explain it to him.

*I do not actually know where LA is located.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

US Friend Code
    West coast, but that's okay we Americans don't know where cities in other countries are located either

Former Fortissimo Fan TLer Kratosirving's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm a psuedo-example of not having to be bilingual for TL work; anyone can do a half-ass job at something if they apply themselves for it. Hell, I'm having to deal with watching the pet project I worked on for 6 years be bastardized by a company that would have to be trilingual to get a good TL of Fortissimo out since they're doing it from Japanese to Chinese, and now to English for that upcoming port.

I'd LOVE to have a multilingual translator doing the work on that project I poured months of my time into for a shitty fan TL, but the reality is that one isn't necessary, and is cheaper to go the half-ass route. :|

-edit- Kind of realized I might have implied that those working on the FGO NA project are half-assing; I am sure they are doing when they can. I don't know their situation at all, but I'm enjoying the script that is coming out, especially with the most recent events. Thumbs up to Arashi and everyone else that is involved in the localization.
    Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier Video Walkthrough: COMPLETE (thread here)

Kadenz Fermata//Akkord:Fortissimo Playlists
    Kisekitsukai (Seventh Chord) Playlist
    Mahoutsukai (Magi) Playlist)
    Final Arc Playlist

FGO Support Card (As of April 2023)
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I've always done and said what I feel and I don't let the opinions of others guide my actions. I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and I will always march to the beat of my own drummer.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    West coast, but that's okay we Americans don't know where cities in other countries are located either
    I thought LA and San Francisco were in opposite sides of the country until like a week ago. I blame Percy Jackson.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kratosirving View Post
    I'm a psuedo-example of not having to be bilingual for TL work; anyone can do a half-ass job at something if they apply themselves for it. Hell, I'm having to deal with watching the pet project I worked on for 6 years be bastardized by a company that would have to be trilingual to get a good TL of Fortissimo out since they're doing it from Japanese to Chinese, and now to English for that upcoming port.

I'd LOVE to have a multilingual translator doing the work on that project I poured months of my time into for a shitty fan TL, but the reality is that one isn't necessary, and is cheaper to go the half-ass route. :|

I mean, if we're talking half-assing, I've had to edit some JP to ENG translations done by someone in Latin America where my job was basically to rewrite the whole thing into readable English, but that was just fans being fans. Being a professional translator requires taking university-level classes in two languages, not just being able to speak them.

Blog Entries
    Or growing up and learning both languages from a young age, all that needs to be proven is that you're fluent to read/write in the languages in question. But, I see your point.

Final Arc Playlist

Spoiler:

I've always done and said what I feel and I don't let the opinions of others guide my actions. I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and I will always march to the beat of my own drummer.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Reminder that being bilingual is not the same as being a translator.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    I no so good with words but I'll try to elaborate on my conjecture.

I assume - and hope - the outsourced translations they get are mostly coherent English with annotations and such. Translations by people who probably have never read anything by Type-Moon. Probably also not a significant knowledge of world history and myth, religion, philosophy and other little things.

It's not just translation I think. And not just plain editing by the USA team. I believe I have heard legend that a power that be opined that he could find many a Japanese-English translator. However such a translator with any idea what the goddamn mushroom and his friends are talking about is SSR.

I imagine the USA team have to go through the whole thing, may end up researching, re-translating and re-editing a lot. And much to the detriment of entertainment they can't put translators notes and ruby text everywhere.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

US Friend Code
    So what's the best node to grind boxes? I completely missed that we need 1200 instead of 600.

Blog Entries
    Think it's the Tower, but may want to wait until the Raksasha nodes open. Honestly I thought they would have opened the moment after the finale quest for Ushi Gozen was done, but apparently not. I'll keep checking throughout the night, would guess that the daily turnover might be it at this point, or they forgot to turn the EX Act quest on. :|

Final Arc Playlist

Spoiler:

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Tower have a lot of boxes
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Inactive
    Blog Entries
    Err, so when will the final node be unlocked? I still cant see the new farming nodes though

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    When you clear the shop
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Inactive
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Rebellion13 View Post
    When you clear the shop
    I mean the Ashura nodes

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    I rolled a ticket after story to try for Fuuma. The last designated ticket ration for this event. Mamatits appeared.

Mind. Full of fuck.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Blog Entries
    Grats Hen!

- - - Updated - - -

Er shit, double-checking the Tower is the best place for the Brocade scrolls; Hot Springs is where you want to go for the Oni baskets. Mountain Trail for the Coral.

Final Arc Playlist

Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Last minute rolls are my salvation. Grats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hen_Ichi View Post
    I rolled a ticket after story to try for Fuuma. The last designated ticket ration for this event. Mamatits appeared.

Mind. Full of fuck.

In honor of this, did random thirty roll

lesbian pirates.

rate up is such a l...hey look at that I got lesbians.

lesbians are nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    *throws another couple of tickets on a whim*

boobzerker*

nevermind, rate up...is good. I’m good, we’re all good.

...now if you will excuse me I think someone owes me a hug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.