Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the hate for Shirou?

Not as OP as Archer or Gil though

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enotita View Post
    I can see that he's the most popular character in the franchise ( that's the best thing I ever heard )

But like I said, as someone who understood his character, what was there to hate about him?
    Well, for one, not everybody does understand his character.

Beyond that, his stubbornness is sometimes not endearing, he can have some backwards gender and social views, the fact that there's seemingly no in-between to "react as impulsively as possible to save lives" and "be cold and calculating like Archer" because someone like him doesn't get moderation, his ideals are broken and inhuman even at their most sympathetic, he doesn't actually understand the values he chases after, all on top of meta things like how he vacillates between utterly useless to OP again with no middle ground and Nasu's writing can be sometimes heavy-handed and occasionally alien.

What do you mean by backwards social and gender issues?

And aren't Kiritsugu's ideals broken and inhuman as well. He's as much of a man child as his son, and yet people think he's better than Shirou.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Read questions thread OP

And aren't Kiritsugu's ideals broken and inhuman as well. He's as much of a man child as his son, and yet people think he's better than Shirou.
    Kiritsugu genuinely believes in them and understands them, though, as they actually come from him. Shirou doesn't, for the most part, because he's just emulating someone else thinking that it'll get what he desires. Which is, you know, one of the problems Archer has with him.

Basically they have opposite problems. Kiritsugu wants to save lives, and knows what that means, but he doesn't know or experience the rapture of the result that can have until the very end. Shirou wants to save lives, but doesn't know what that means, but since he has seen the result firsthand, pursues the end without understanding the means.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code

Yeah, but Kerry is
    a gun-toting Edgelord
    way more mature then Shirou,
    you see?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Also Kiritsugu uses guns and sneakiness, while Shirou runs in blindly with no plan and possibly no way to actually solve anything if that's an option, so of course there are going to be people that think Kiritsugu is better.

They prefer one over the other because of guns and coats?

Dense people if you ask me.

Blog Entries
    Would like you to consider, OP, it's that, maybe because he's bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    1. Shirou is intentionally written as noticeably flawed and the story revolves around said flaws. Many secondaries believe he should be more perfect, or that those flaws are unintentional and are just a result of bad writing. Frequently his character is misunderstood, especially by those that don't read all three routes of the VN or simply watched the anime. Just look at the ANN reviews of the UBW anime for an example of how easily a supposedly intelligent critic can so blatantly fail to understand Shirou.

2. Shirou is rarely represented properly in fanfiction in terms of quality, but is over-represented in terms of quality. Most fanfic Shirous are shallow and awful, and many are Shirou in name only. This results in somewhat of a backlash against seeing him in fanfiction for anyone but the most casual readers.

- - - Updated - - -

3. Some people, such as the above poster, enjoy telling funny jokes.

I can see that he's the most popular character in the franchise ( that's the best thing I ever heard )
    No, that's Saber. Heal the bad Shirou fic problem by just writing about Saber imo.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    No, that's Saber. Heal the bad Shirou fic problem by just writing about Saber imo.
    That solution just creates a bad Saber fic problem in its place though...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    That's usually resolved by Saber having a female master. Then it just becomes an awkwardly bad yuri fanfic.

Shirou hate wise, I'd disagree that not liking Shirou means you misunderstood him. It might explainwhy some dislike a character, but even if you fully understand them you're still free to dislike them. Even here, there are plenty of people who dislike popular characters, and like unpopular ones, and that's a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Most people who write the Shirou fics would never write a Saber or Rin fic, I'd dare say. They're chicks and have cooties, you see.

He's not hated on BL sure, but he's utterly desiped outside of it.
    Well, if I'd gotten siped, I'd like to be desiped, please.
    O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    2. Shirou is rarely represented properly in fanfiction in terms of quality, but is over-represented in terms of quality. Most fanfic Shirous are shallow and awful, and many are Shirou in name only. This results in somewhat of a backlash against seeing him in fanfiction for anyone but the most casual readers.
    i know it's just a typo, but it's an important one

Rarely represented properly in terms of quality, over-represented in terms of QUANTITY

to clarify for op
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

About shirou's character, I believe it's really hard to imitate nasu's style of writing shirou, mainly due to nasu's own writing style. Nasu always has a weird but unique writing style, sometimes I feel that the english translations does not do his writing justice, mainly because the huge cultural and language difference between japanese (mostly kanji) and english. The way he uses puns and things like yojijukugo, when translate to english is just not the same. His writing is unique even as a japanese literature, and because of that nasu often come off as a giant chuuni.

So it's hard to translate his character to the anime due to Nasu's writing style? And that since it couldn't be helped, people judged from the anime, resulting in hate?

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sure, Shirou isn't my favourite TM protagonist, but I certainly don't hate him.

I can definitely see what people mean though, about how adaptations sticking to one route don't give the full depth of his character. Though that is sadly unavoidable given the source material is a VN.

The thing is though, I understood his character completely in the anime, and I LOVED his character development. I knew he was a broken individual incapable of feeling happiness for himself. I knew he had no desires of his own, and that the only thing he thinks is worth giving his life purpose was his ideal. I knew that he tried to replicate the smile on Kiritsugu's face when he saved, thinking that if he took up his ideal, he would find what Kiritsugu had. I knew that he knew that him sticking to his ideal would take him to hell, but that he stuck to it because it was an ideal that beautiful, "the desire to have a world where no one cries, "the desire to undo the hell he brought upon himself". He stuck to it because living a life dedicated to helping others would be a life worth living. He did it out of self-satisfaction, he accepted his ideal's flaws, and was ready to take on the cruel reality.

If I could take all of that from the anime, what was there to hate about him? UBW is my favorite anime, and Shirou is my favorite character, and it's really hard unsee all the hatred he and the show gets.