Page 1 of 19 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the hate for Shirou?

What's up with the hate for Shirou?

I'm really starting to get sick of the hate he gets. I mean, everywhere I go, someone is always expressing hate towards Shirou. It's BAFFLING how much hate an awesome protagonist like Shirou gets.

So Beast's Lair, can you answer this: Why do so many people hate Shirou?

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I can't even recall that many people here hating on Shirou. The worst I've heard is that he was a bit of a generic Shonen protagonist in Fate (the first route), which is far from hatred. Some people have also commented that they're tired of seeing Shirou be crammed into so many fanfics where he doesn't really belong, but that, again, is not the same as hating the character himself.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    He get laid with 3 cute girls because he jump some bars while I striving for one and they don't impressed with my galery of achievements. How could I do not hate him? Lucky bastard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    He get laid with 3 cute girls because he jump some bars while I striving for one and they don't impressed with my galery of achievements. How could I do not hate him? Lucky bastard.
    Well... maybe if you had your entire childhood burned away in flames before your eyes, dedicated your life to obsessive altruism in the faint hope validating your own existence and picked up uber sword-skills along the way, then maybe you too could pick up chicks like Shirou Emiya.

...Or maybe just get really good at cooking. That might be the more feasible (and less emotionally traumatizing) option. You know what they say, the best way to a girl's heart is through her vagina stomach!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and for the record, Shirou only got two of his three love interests through the almighty power of the BAR. Saber simply fell for his sheer force of personality... (And cooking. You know what, mostly the cooking.)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enotita View Post
    So Beast's Lair, can you answer this: Why do so many people hate Shirou?
    fanfiction
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Fanfiction??? What did they do?

Blog Entries
    Fanfiction??? What did they do?
    Pretty much what I said above. People get annoyed over seeing Shirou get crammed into so many fanfics just because he's the protagonist, in scenarios where a lesser known character or even OC would be much more fitting...

I'm pretty sure there's more to that. I don't see hate towards him about fanfiction, but alot of hate towards him in the anime. Why's that?

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure there's more to that. I don't see hate towards him about fanfiction, but alot of hate towards him in the anime. Why's that?
    The anime kind of simplifies Shirou's character arc by necessity, so some inattentive viewers might just come away with the impression of him as your usual generically self-righteous Shonen/LN protagonist with a milquetoast personality and special snowflake powers. Of course he's in reality way more complex then that, but you sorta' have to read between the lines a little... (Or at least have patience)

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    IMO There are two major groups that Hate Shirou:

Group A: The Group that hate him due to over-exposure in fanworks and the like, where he is used as a thinly-veiled Author insert

Group B: People that have only watched the Anime and hate the character for being a "Generic Shonen Harem Anime Protag" instead of being "Serious" and "Deep" and "Mature" like Kiritsugu.

And of course, as with all characters, some people just don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    The anime kind of simplifies Shirou's character arc by necessity, so some inattentive viewers might just come away with the impression of him as your usual generically self-righteous Shonen/LN protagonist with a milquetoast personality and special snowflake powers. Of course he's in reality way more complex then that, but you sorta' have to read between the lines a little... (Or at least have patience)
    Yeah, I'm one of those people who managed to pay attention, and understand his character.

I can understand that all characters can be hated at one point, but the Shirou hate is so fucking OVERWHELMING! There's so much of it, it's ridiculous.

he is not even that hated here on BL . I mean, he won over both Kiritsugu and Shiki in very recent polls. Actually, he trumped his dad , lol

He's not hated on BL sure, but he's utterly desiped outside of it.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    He's not hated on BL sure, but he's utterly desiped outside of it.
    I think you're just looking at a small sample size. He's by far the most popular character in Fate fanfictions on FFN, many youtube reactors that watch anime come to at least enjoy him, he's cosplayed by a fair few, and he shows up in quite a bit of dedicated fanart.

Surprise, the haters and obnoxious are louder than people that have no reason to be vocal.

So what exactly do the haters hate about him, I understood him completely in UBW. If I understood him, why do other people still hate him. It really bothers me when people associate him with "Worst protagonist anime ever produced", or most "Horribly written character ever". It may be really vocal, but that minority sure as hell make themselves loud and clear.

Is funny that Prisma Illya miyuverse shirou has some of these traits even in a bigger scale, he is righteous, he os OP , and yet a lot of people says he is the best Shirou ever. If you think about it, Hiroyama is your tyical fate fan fiction writer , there is even this little adorable OC that has to be protected, sometimes i feel that if Prillya was not a licensed spin off but just other fan fiction on the internet with the very same plot we would see more complains in that sense, but maybe is just me .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    I think you're just looking at a small sample size. He's by far the most popular character in Fate fanfictions on FFN, many youtube reactors that watch anime come to at least enjoy him, he's cosplayed by a fair few, and he shows up in quite a bit of dedicated fanart.

Surprise, the haters and obnoxious are louder than people that have no reason to be vocal.
    Thats so true. Usually you get the impression something is hated causec the haters are just louder

I can see that he's the most popular character in the franchise ( that's the best thing I ever heard )

But like I said, as someone who understood his character, what was there to hate about him?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So what exactly do the haters hate about him, I understood him completely in UBW. If I understood him, why do other people still hate him. It really bothers me when people associate him with "Worst protagonist anime ever produced", or most "Horribly written character ever". It may be really vocal, but that minority sure as hell make themselves loud and clear.
    i had a friend i introduced to ubw anime and she felt that shirou was portrayed as too OP compared to someone like Rin who didn't seem that strong at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

I see ths is a regular topic for you. I just can thell you

First, he is not even that hated , you saw it with the polls, as someone else said , sometimes you got the impression that something is hated cause the haters are always louder and usually obnoxious about it . And second, and more important, just like waht you like and continue enjoying what you enjoy, you could say Sakura is kinda a controversial character , but i love her anyways