Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the hate for Shirou?

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always used to think of the concept as being like a force of nature really. Eliminating conflict in whatever form it takes is the function, with saving people being a side benefit.

But the purpose of it at the root is conflict, as Arashi said, so it would be hard to live as a person that way because people are often sources of conflict and relationships keeping you from fulfilling the purpose.

I think Kouga from Zetman would be a great example of someone missing the point about this concept.

How many swords would a swordsman sword if a swordsman could sword swords? Vvendettas's Avatar
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of complaints about his character might come from secondaries; that is to say, people who've only watched the animated adaptations. The complexities of Shirou's personality and mindset are only really on display when you're subject to his introspective monologues, which all of the animated series noticeably lack. Without knowing just how twisted Shirou's thoughts are when he's trying to fight Rider for example, he really just looks like an idiot and an otherwise generic shounen protagonist. I dearly love Ufotables adaptations of Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night, but they're really not the best way to get into the series due to the restrictive story telling of the medium. How can you convey to us that Shirou's mentality is warped without resorting to have an expository character tell us that? It's very difficult.

"Time heals all wounds."_____________________________ "So why does my heart shatter like glass?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvendettas View Post
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of complaints about his character might come from secondaries; that is to say, people who've only watched the animated adaptations. The complexities of Shirou's personality and mindset are only really on display when you're subject to his introspective monologues, which all of the animated series noticeably lack. Without knowing just how twisted Shirou's thoughts are when he's trying to fight Rider for example, he really just looks like an idiot and an otherwise generic shounen protagonist. I dearly love Ufotables adaptations of Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night, but they're really not the best way to get into the series due to the restrictive story telling of the medium. How can you convey to us that Shirou's mentality is warped without resorting to have an expository character tell us that? It's very difficult.

How many swords would a swordsman sword if a swordsman could sword swords? Vvendettas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ufotable is love, Ufotable is life. Also; it's still not really as effective as actually seeing the story from inside Shirou head, in my opinion, but I don't really hold that against it. (Especially given my own bias) As a purist, I'd recommend the Unlimited Blade Works anime as supplementary after reading at least one of the visual novel routes. More importantly, however...

It just looks really cool, and that's always a reason to watch it if for nothing else Though I'm getting slightly off topic, I really have to give Ufotable credit where its due. They did a phenomenal job in adapting a visual novel into the animated form and went to really painstaking lengths to try and make up for whatever shortcoming propped up as a result. A slightly more serious pro I'd list in the anime's favor for an eventual watch, would be all the neat little things they added that weren't in the original. Like the in depth scenes about Archer's life as a human, or the new slice of life skits.

"Time heals all wounds."_____________________________ "So why does my heart shatter like glass?"

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I liked the subtle arching of the neck they did where Rin was talking to him after they buried Ilya (they didn't put the small touch about burying her with Herc's ashes which was a shame).

Although, with the way they did it, I do wonder how they'll handle some interludes and internal monologue segments in the HF movie since they are even more strapped for time.

Banned
    You see, Shirou's sexism takes two forms, the externalized ideological variety and the internalized cultural variety

i'm still not sure if this is a reaction or an example, which actually makes it even better

So...

Is Shirou a sociopath?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Only in fanfics inspired by GB

Banned
    No, but he is the most heinously misogynistic protagonist this side of a Brett Easton Ellis novel

屍鬼 Ghoul
    The fact that Ufotable did a piss-poor job adapting UBW hasn't given me high hopes about the HF trilogy coming out in October.

No, but he is the most heinously misogynistic protagonist this side of a Brett Easton Ellis novel
    Twlight's Bella Swan says hello.
    Last edited by Diablo Interceptor; June 26th, 2017 at 06:07 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bad View Post
    You see, Shirou's sexism takes two forms, the externalized ideological variety and the internalized cultural variety
    The externalized ideological variety is barely there. If Shirou is sexist it's more in the standard cultural one that practically all cultures have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enotita View Post
    So... Is Shirou a sociopath?
    Any behavior that shows sociopathic tendencies?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo Interceptor View Post
    Twlight's Bella Swan says hello.
    Not just says hello but walks around as one.

Who doesn't like getting stalked by a centuries old vampire for 6 months, up to going into your room at night to watch you sleep, and stays around in high school all the time as a professional student?

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Don't forget that Bella seems to hate all females, except for herself. She loathes any women who ever acts on her emotions (despite acting almost exclusively on her own emotions) but excuses any inappropriate male behavior with the "he was angry/upset/overwhelmed" excuse. Women are expected to act rationally every single time, but men are allowed to indulge in their emotions.

Blog Entries
    Twilight is Type-Moon now.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

Blog Entries
    Arc is Edward

Blog Entries
    No, arc is a curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    No, arc is a curve
    Is the curve acute?

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Is the curve acute?
    Arcueid is indeed cute, so yes.

祖 Ancestor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    No, arc is a curve

Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Is the curve acute?
    delet this.