Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Anima Kiseki // Gate: Future (IC thread)

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nakamura Amaya
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

"Hah, you think so?"

Slowing her pace down automatically, body turning to face her classmate without really thinking about it, the Nakamura Amaya that had been wandering mostly absentmindedly reacts to the presence of a classmate with an amused smile.

"Kinda wanted to prove her wrong for once, you know? My old man says she's pretty cute when you beat her at something, and I kinda wanna see it, get a photo to put on the wall as a trophy... So far no dice, still-"

One eye closes in a wink.

"-I'll get her one of these days-!"

It was slightly embarrassing to talk that kind of 'I'll beat you this time' talk every time, but one of those times it would have to come true-!

"But as for points, I got 32."

Spinning around to get in Misao's way for a moment, the smiling red-haired teenager nevertheless holds up a finger as if to stop her classmates progress-!

"Kinda surprised I beat you there, but maybe perhaps you should study a bit more? Gotta keep up that Ace image after all~"

It's mostly a joke, her own study habits only existed due to the habits instilled into her by a certain fussy weapon, and it hadn't made too much of a gap between them -really she needed to try harder herself- so-

"Although I will admit... Some parts of the test weren't easy."

-She can kinda sympathize.
    Last edited by Airen; May 29th, 2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Shuugetsu Heika
    Starlight Academy - Lone Rooftop
    Monday - Morning

"..."

Up until that point, Agnethe had no idea of what lied within the Pandora's Box she had just unlocked. She is the kind of bully who relies on power to carry out her misdeeds, so if words do not work, she can just rely on violence. You, on the other hand, possess a tongue more than sharp enough to put any of her insults to shame. Granted, this might not be the first time someone defiantly tried to oppose her with words, however, nothing that came before managed to make such a strong impression as this. Your critique is harsh, unrelenting and more importantly, sincere. On its way to Agnethe's ears, it gains enough presence to become akin to a physical blow, being able to break her stance for a moment at the time of impact. At that instant, the girl begins to feel a strange sensation of emptiness, like a hole had just been burrowed into her chest. It doesn't hurt the same way an injury would, but she can recognize that the word she's looking for is 'pain'.

"Ah..."

So the Russian student stands there, seemingly dumbfounded, staring at you like an arrow had just pierced her heart. In truth, this is a new experience, and as a masochist, she intends to make it last as long as possible, until it loses its charm or... It simply reaches an end. And so it does, when you tell her to go away, having torn apart the dream any young girl has of ever walking the catwalk. It is only then that her mind starts to catch up with the recent events and a different word escapes her mouth, almost instinctively, and with a completely different tone:

"HUH...?!"

Of course, she is a bully and bullies cannot allow others to make fun of them. In a sense, it is fortunate that it is only the two of you on the rooftop, otherwise, you most likely wouldn't have 'lived' long enough to complete your fashion review. Infuriated, the twin tailed girl stomps the floor very hard with one foot, while shaking her fist at you from a distance.

"Who the hell do you think you areeeeee...?! You ugly antique! Go back to Feudal Japan, you jerk! You think you can say things to me just because you are filthy rich...?! Stupid! Idiot! If I had a face like yours, I'd sue my parents!"

It soon becomes clear that when she doesn't remain in a position of power where she can manipulate the flow of the conversation her credibility suffers. Certainly not good at improvising, she spouts one insult after another, however, compared to yours, they are 'light' and bear no weight.

As you are forced to listen to her, if only for a minute, a message arrives at your inbox, which can be checked through your Miracle, currently in 'portable mode'. The message tells the students that, even if teams have not been formed yet, it is still possible to gather points via treasure chests. Once a team is recognized as such, individual scores will be added up to determine the team's score. However, since you also need clues to clear the First Trial and those are not yet available, it's only a way to pass the time and increase your standings. At the end of it there is a small line congratulating you for how well you've done as a student during the last semester and awarding you 70 points -Which is apparently way above average-. Next to it, there is an 8-bit illustration of Ravenworth's headmaster. It doesn't make the message look any more lively.

"What...?"

All of a sudden, Agnethe stops firing random insults. The reason being an increasingly bright light has just begun to flash, locating itself in a spot closer to you than your fellow roof companion. After a few moments, the light fades and is replaced by the sight of a 'well-decorated' (?) treasure chest. So this is how they spawn, huh? The spots where they appear are said to be random, so perhaps you should consider yourself lucky.

There is a key next to it, and near the keyhole there is a small inscription.

'SR', it reads.
    Last edited by hero; May 29th, 2018 at 08:23 AM.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Noah Habiki
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

"Wait," I said but it doesn't take no more than a few seconds for four-eyes to scatter among the chaotic crowd and lose sight of her. It wasn't like I wished for her presence but there were some questions I'd like to at least ask her. Despite what her previous behavior entitled, that girl seemed reliable.

Speaking of girl...

"Once more but thank you for the guidance, Ginko. I'm still new to everything and so far the information hasn't slowed down in the slightest."

The announcement came unsuspectingly and the rules were that members had to find others from different schools to form a team. Most of the RI students looked as though their life flashed before their eyes when the headmaster gave her declaration. Was she perhaps mocking them? Maybe even being a little playful just to watch students panic? Either way, the true objective was the treasure chest themselves.

The chest spawns in different locations and some are fakes revealing traps or the real deal. I don't particular care about the trial all that much and I'm going to be forced to join a team after three days so my options are quite limited.

Ginko was still here with me at the moment and I'm not sure if she still wanted my presence considering everyone else felt somehow distant from me. Was I that unapproachable? Regardless I got up and stretch my arms and legs and with a glance and smile to the only other girl willingly to talk to me, I trekked forward.

I avoided the crowd entirely, not wanting to make anymore people uncomfortable around me, and took a scenic route around the area. Yet, the more I thought about it the more I came to realized that this would be my life for the next four years til graduation. My body froze there a bit having process the information.

I'll have to deal with this efficiently.

It'd be better to list off the rules in my head before further complications arrive at my doorstep.

Rule One: Don't gather attention.

Rule Two: Don't create problems for others.

Rule Three: Always do the bear minimum.

I wasn't going to sabotage my education or academic record and look like a failure but doing too good would only warrant eyes on me as though I'm reliable to come towards. I wouldn't accept that. I mean there's nothing reliable about me for others to even glance at me. Nodding my head and accepting the rules I placed, I realized that my hand was clutching the USB Ginko had lent me. A spell recipe that could me molded into a formula given time and effort.

It would feel wrong to ignore this especially if Ginko were to find me again and ask about it. Plus she came and gave me a tour so the least I can do is see what to do about it. I chuckled a bit, thinking that what-if the spell had something to do with felines. Will I grow cute paws and ears with a tail attached? The concept amused me more than I'd like but it was refreshing to say the least. Perhaps this is what they call a spice of life?

Anyway, my mind should focus on the possible spell formula and my miracle. If being placed on a team was inevitable then I should try and focus on the best way to utilize my miracle to the best capabilities. Focus on support with some firepower? Go entirely on the offensive and hope teammates can fend for themselves?

Pandora's defense system was only as good as the person wielding it so getting better at positioning and control was necessary. Also my current arsenal was even damn near impressive and would only hold my team back. Say what you want but I didn't wish to burden anyone. I lacked true firepower and watching four-eyes battle with that wolf of hers made me only more seem aware of that.

I've decided to focus my effort on the spell recipe at hand. The tournament, student's, even the treasure hunt can all wait for all I care. Not like I'd be much use to anyone anyway. Now where could I go for some solitude and tinkering? I glanced at the rooftop and didn't see any grand number of students there so I guess that would be my next destination.

I hope I wasn't hated by life itself if my recent bad luck is any indication.
    "Nothing is the greatest gift Mankind has ever been giving."

"Wait. How so?"

"Because it's the only thing Mankind can ever give a shit about"

Blog Entries
    Takumi Hokuto
    Starlight Academy- Courtyard
    Monday- Morning

So, I guess with that, this whole magical tournament thing is officially underway. The head instructors from the different schools kind of give us a general idea of what's going on and... Well... That's kind of it? Honestly speaking I was expecting this thing to feel like more of a big deal, but I guess I'm missing something here.

There are some people around me who look like they're losing it. Other people look like they're just flat out panicking. Though, I guess for them, having the teams they spent so long fretting over voided at the drop of a hat is good reason to be upset. And since I didn't really bother to look for a team, I guess that's why I feel so... "stupid"?

"Gah!," I groan, trying to wrap my head over this whole situation. If I let myself get hung up on the lack of excitement in the air, I'll probably overlook a detail or two. I scratch my head and think hard, but I can't help but get distracted, "I was really thinking it'd just be a combat tournament with lasers and stuff..."

I guess I got caught off guard too. Though not to the extent of some of the people around me, I get that it's gonna be a minute before my blood really gets burning. Still, the world of magic is weird. After all, I've never heard of any kind of tournament starting off with... a treasure hunt, was it?

"Well, I guess it doesn't matter. Not like I can really participate until I work myself into a team."

I force a smile, a bit disappointed by this turn of events. Still, I suppose it's not all bad. After all, now I've got no choice but to meet some new people and expand my horizons. That alone is worth something, I guess.

"Alright!"

I slap my cheeks and psyche myself up.

I've got three days to figure out my team, I guess. But, if I want to get to those chests before everyone else, I should get myself some teammates ASAP.
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Dranes's Avatar
    Ryouji Kurosawa
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

There was excitement and even panic in the air as the speech ended, though it wasn't the type Ryouji had expected. The rush of feet in and around Starlight wasn't simply because one of the biggest events in the world was happening on his home turf nor was it due to those little boxes that happened to be the first challenge... it was a much simpler reason than that. After all the proceedings had ended with quite the surprise, one that no one had expected since it was something so ridiculous that there would have been at least some push back by the Russians. In other words, the dear headmaster of Starlight was doing whatever she wanted to again.

Because that's just how she was.

"That shitty Headmaster..."

He grinded his teeth as what had just occurred set in. Anywhere else he would have gone off but for now he couldn't, all he could do was steam and tap at the railing he was leaning on. Even if he hadn't had a full-proof plan or team setup, he had at least done some work with his partnership with Veronica. While he hadn't expected finding the rest of the team to be easy for himself considering his attitude, there was the fallback that Veronica could have had some contacts.

But now that didn't matter.

One look at her face showed that the situation had just been turned upside down, simple shock from their dear headmasters announcement had mirrored his own and now well... what could they do?

"Why is she always like this, damnit!"

An outburst before shaking his head and pushing himself off the railing, a dark expression on his face as he looked to his teammate.

Or rather former teammate with Nanako's meddling.

It seemed that their partnership of convenience would be somewhat strained for this part of the tournament and likely for the rest of it as well.

"Whatever."

"Gotta work with what we got. Team plan's up in smoke with this."

A single glance however told him something though.

"But with a look like that, it seems you're already plotting something."

The shock had already been replaced, as expected of his former teammate, Veronica Belmont wasn't someone that would get stopped by an obstacle like this.

She was already one step ahead while he was still at zero.

"Either way, if we manage to get our own teams it seems they didn't rule out alliances for what good they'll be in this thing."

It wasn't about help but cooperation, it was on her if she wanted to follow up on the idea.

Ryouji Kurosawa
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

"For such a carefree person, she can be surprisingly ruthless..."

Veronica is a shocked as you are. While some form of cooperation with students from other schools was to be expected, such a rule-changer move was not. This scenario is only possible because Starlight was chosen to be the one to announce the first trial, and no one expected someone as kind as Hishikawa to go ahead and abuse a loophole like that. For you, who had managed to gather a single team member, the loss is not as big as that of those who have gathered enough students to form a team, but it can still be felt. Belmont might be new to the high-school setting, but her immense battle potential has not gone unnoticed in your eyes. Likewise, she has found you to be a worthy companion for her campaign towards glory. It's painful... But it appears the two of you must part.

"Yeah, no point in staying here, moping about it. This is a 'race', after all. Not a conventional race, but one nonetheless."

Veronica is the first to recover from the Headmaster's blow. Someone like her, who has plenty of experience with 'accepting cruel reality', can get over 'small' things like this pretty fast. Her mind already working on a new plan and attempting to recall faces from potential candidates she might have seen in the past, it doesn't look it will be much more before she makes the first move. Although, a race, huh? Ah, that's right. Since only those who have gathered a team can get access to clues, and only the first fifty teams to find the treasure get to advance to the next trial, the faster you find yourself a team, the sooner you can start working towards that objective and the higher your chances are to get there before other teams do.

---'A race to find friends' is certainly something Hishikawa Nanako would aim for.

"You might be overestimating me. It's too soon for me to formulate any 'plot'. Although, I might have an idea of where to start looking."

Although, fortunately, it appears there is no incentive for teams to go against each other's throats just yet. Before your former teammate leaves, you decide to bring it up in hopes you can at least keep your partnership for the time being.

"Yeah, I noticed, too. Though a part of me wouldn't mind the idea of fighting you, I'd be a fool if I said I wanted to have you as an opponent this early in the tournament. Well then, I'll be relying on you, Kurosawa-kun."

The last sentence is spoken with a joking tone. Walking away with her back turned to you, she accompanies it with a seemingly uninspired hand wave. Even though you cannot see it from this angle, you get the feeling there is a smile on her face right now.

"That is, if you make it past the 'preliminaries'."

-------

Ryouji Kurosawa
    Starlight Academy - Shopping District
    Monday - Morning

Your feet take you to the entrance of the 'Milky Way Shopping Mall'.

It's not like you have come here with any ideas in mind, but rather the lack of interesting, strong personalities during your search for new teammates has caused you to walk a long distance from the park. Having heard about classes being suspended for the day, the Shopping District has opened their doors early today and the place is already brimming not just with students but also teachers and helpers as well. When it comes to the Milky Way... It's a rather special place. The place constantly alters its layout and exit routes, turning it into something close to a labyrinth where the customer cannot help but stay there longer -and hopefully buy more stuff-. This is not a feat of Magic, but rather it's done via a series of mechanisms. Rumor says that the original Milky Way this one is based off has been afflicted by a curse that creates similar effects. In any case, arrows have been placed here and there to guide students and tourists to the best of one's abilities. However, since the arrows constantly change as well, the problem hasn't really been fixed... So things like getting lost inside usually happen.

"Ah, thank you very much."

You return a small kid to her mother. It's not like you felt like being the hero, but rather, the kid just wouldn't let you concentrate. You come here from time to time, so you already know how to avoid getting lost. So you figured the sooner you returned him, the faster you'd get to continue with your quest. Unexpectedly, and though you initially don't want to accept it, you are given a very generous monetary reward for your troubles.

---However, the act seems to invoke a particularly strong money demon.

"Hey, that was my job."

Beautiful blue eyes, smooth skin like silk and more importantly a big, pointy hat like those you'd see a witch wear in old-school movies. This woman... is a cosplayer or something? She seems upset because you found and rescued the kid before she had any chance to. Since you weren't even putting your mind into it... You can probably say she must have a really bad sense of direction.

"You are speaking to the most famous mercenary and Ygdrassil-Class Witch, Ohka Mari."

Yep... You never heard of it.

Something tells you she is just broke and needs some money.
    Last edited by hero; May 31st, 2018 at 09:44 AM.
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shuugetsu Heika
    Monday - Morning

Heika elicited a loud groan.

"Yes yes, 'oink oink' and all that. Why don't you go screeching at the nearest Hot Topic store, I bet they're used to it," Heika coldly replied. "Just try to leave before the wind changes direction. I hardly want to smell the stench of 'cheap bitch' that emanates from you."

He had better things to do. Namely, the treasure chest that had appeared.

Showing extreme grace in his step, Heika walked over to the treasure chest and grabbed the key from the ground, inspecting both it and the chest itself. The mundane generic-as-any-light-novel-isekai-fantasy design of them made him scrunch up his nose, but even Heika understood that it was important considering the upcoming competition. Therefore he would have to steel his nerves and actually interact with these boring objects if he wanted to put his status and position to the level it deserved.

However, while he did so, he might as well speak his mind a bit more.

"Still, you deserve slight gratitude for services and compliments rendered," Heika continued as he inserted the key to the lock of the treasure chest and opened it. At the same time, he shot a smug smile of amused pity towards Agnethe. "I'm surprised even a tasteless little sow like you can recognize genuine historical attire that has been kept in prime condition for centuries. Though I suppose it should not be a surprise. After all, dirt-poor peasants drool after the fragrance of money and fame after all."

His expression warped into a cold smile as he opened the chest to see what was inside.

"Still try to control your jealousy. It's making you even more hideous than you are... which is to say something. Though I'm unfamiliar if there's anything lower than jailbait Yoshiwara-reject... Oh, wait. There is. Your sad existence is here, after all," he continued. "Still, here's a fashion fact of the day for you: Don't hate someone because they're more beautiful than you."

Maybe that would make this unnecessary annoyance leave him alone.

Arthur Waynwood
    Starlight Academy - The Sleeping Bishop
    Monday - Morning

Your search brings you here.

The truth is, you were quick to realize that you won't find reliable teammates just scanning the area for people that look strong. While it could work if what you wanted was to assemble a random team as soon as possible, the harsh conditions of the Russian Institute have already taught you that what you need is something different. Namely, you aren't necessarily looking for powerful individuals, but rather those that compliment well skills you already have. And for that kind of thing, information is always a requisite. You've lived these past few months in isolation -when not in class-, so your social skills are still kinda rusty, but you managed to get yourself a map of island. Fortunately, Starlight students are often warm to those from other institutions, and if you are polite even more so, and thus you also learned that this place: 'The Sleeping Bishop', is the second most popular gathering point among students, the first one being the Cafeteria located inside the school building.

---Well now, you probably shouldn't stand near the door for too long.

Right now it isn't crowded so you can easily find a seat be it in one of the tables or next to the bar. Students are often underage, so the bartender mostly serves alcohol-free drinks, but anyone with high enough influence or an intelligent choice of words can probably convince her to let them break a few rules. Regardless of what kind of beverage you go for, it's imperative you order something if you want to stay and also if you want to blend in. The atmosphere is rather calm, with only the soft sound of relaxing music in the background. The other customers appear to be no different from you: They've come here alone and they are not the type to actively start a conversation. Even the bartender looks like she won't speak any more than necessary. However, your gut feeling tells you there is no doubt about it: This is the right place to be if you want information.

... It takes a moment for you to realize, but once you start paying more attention to your surroundings, you come to the conclusion that you are the only male customer at the time. The situation somehow becomes a tad more intimidating. It's not like any of the girls look like they'll welcome you with open arms if you don't formulate a good speech plan. Well, maybe the bartender will be more lenient, since she's an employee. Among the customers there is also one that is an adult woman, bearer of a knowledgeable gaze, and another that looks about your age. They are both located in different corners, so if you want to try any luck, you'll only be able to pick one. Or perhaps you'll wait until someone else comes through the entrance door...?

---Regardless, you don't have much time left before the bartender demands you order something.

Gotta make your move.

Jade Sapphy
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

It doesn't take long for you to realize that there is little for you to see within the chaos that the announcement of the First Trial has left behind. It's not that you don't run into interesting conversations, like a disassembled team fighting over who'd be the one to keep their operator, or the fantasies of a hopelessly story-irrelevant group of students of forming a team with one of the ace Miracle Wielders another school has to offer, or the agonizing thoughts of those who have already given up, doomed to become part of a completely random team. It's just that... Well, for someone of your size, walking through the immense crowd gathered at the park feels like traversing through a jungle's unforgiving vegetation without a the aid of a reliable machete. If you combine it with the little presence someone with your looks commands, it comes as a natural conclusion that you'll never gather the attention you desire without doing something drastic about it. Meaning you won't be able to see a thing-!

Or, at least, that's how it's normally supposed to be. However...

---It moves silently but unnaturally fast, like a predator leaping from a shadow to the next.

Out of pure instinct, you turn around, only to find the firm backs of three students, raised like shields as if to impede your path. There is nothing of interest in that direction and yet... You can't shake the nagging thought of having seen something move out the corner of your eye. You do not possess the greatest attention span, so after a moment of silence you deem the event part of your imagination and move on. Little do you know that the second you manage to step out of the crowd, that something would run you over with a speed matched only by humanity's greatest athletes.

-Wham!

For the second time that day -Or is it already the third...?-, your world spins rapidly before coming to an abrupt halt. The first thought you are able to process is that the victimizer must be the owner of a very large frame, given the fact that nearly all of your right side was caught in that hit-and-run incident.

"Oh! I am extremely sorry! I didn't see you!"

The gentle, yet somewhat alarmed, voice of a girl forces you to come back to your senses. However, the minute you do is the minute you find out that your earlier assessment is not entirely true.

"Are you... Alright? S-should I take you to the infirmary?"

Noah Habiki
    Starlight Academy - Harbor
    Monday - Morning

Turns out most rooftops are either occupied or about to be, so for the sake of solitude, you decide to, instead, walk towards the least popular direction. You eventually reach the harbor, where you are unexpectedly greeted by a lot of movement as well, except the people gathered there aren't exactly students, but rather workers. Starlight Academy is the oldest school of Miracle Wielders and also the one who holds the greatest number of pupils. For this reason, it shouldn't come as a surprise that they also receive the biggest shipment of food and gear. The fact that Miracles are being transported in conventional, old ways can be rather unnerving, but when one takes a moment to recall how much crime rates have dropped in the past decade, it's hard to imagine someone would try to steal them. Even so, with how much information and technology has spread, it would be impossible for the thief to go into hiding. They'd be found in the blink of an eye by the B.A.L.D.R. Force.

"..."

You quickly take notice of what appears to be an abandoned warehouse. It seems that while parts of the port are in constant activity, others have been left in disuse. Making full use of your talent to move without drawing attention to yourself, you sneak into the lifeless building in hopes you'll find the peace of mind you seek inside. After all, learning a new spell is not exactly easy, especially when said formula isn't common and one has brought along no teacher nor partner to train with. Depending on its complexity, it might take you more or less than a week for you to master it, so you decide it would be best to start now, so that the next time Ginko and you bump into each other, you'd be able to show her your appreciation for how helpful she's been.

Inside, the warehouse is both dark and dirty. It's hard to gauge how much time has it been since it has seen use, but you wouldn't be shocked if someone told you that the place was left abandoned from the start. You turn your miracle's lantern function to increase visibility and confirm that a large amount of rubble and pieces of broken glass have been scattered all across the area. Has there been some sort of confrontation? That's strange, the A.I. Space should prevent property damage of this magnitude. In any case, you decide to proceed with caution. You'd rather not injure yourself this early, or have your Folding Jacket take any more damage than it already had today. Eventually, you find a place safe enough to train. There isn't much space available, but it should be enough to at least work without having to be wary of your surroundings.

---'Nyaa Nyaa Discipline'

It's true that you expected to find the Spell Recipe would be something cat-like but, to give it this name... Isn't this going too far? Suddenly your fantasies of being transformed into a feline do not seem too far off. Better take a look to the readme.txt first in order to avoid more funny surprises.

-------

A good amount of time passes before you are able to edit the formula in a way that your Miracle would recognize it. Even if it's probably lunch time by now, you've managed to learn a new spell in record time. Either you have grown really skilled with this or Ginko's coding is really easy to work with. Probably a mix of both, and the fact that the formula appears to be for an E-rank utility spell. In any case, being able to use it is not the same as being able to use it well, so you'll need some practice before you can rely on it. You take the time to equip it among your allowed seven formulas and order your Miracle to activate it. The result is a strange sensation in your eyes, different to what you are used to from overusing Precognition. It's uncomfortable at first, as if someone suddenly forced you to wear contact lenses for the first time, but it becomes bearable after a couple of seconds. More importantly, the need for a lantern function disappears as it becomes less difficult to see in the dark.

You choose to take another look at the warehouse through your newly acquired power, exploring places that, due to the danger involved, you decided to avoid beforehand. Overall, the spell is useful but only if the right conditions are met. Considering how little is the strain that it places on your weapon, it could bring an enormous advantage if the place to compete was dark or if the competition was held at nighttime...

'huh...?'

Your attention is drawn to a large box deposited in a much larger room. It certainly is not the only box there, however, it has a particular trait the others lack. There appears to be a thin red light coming from inside, intense enough to pass through the wood container. When you take a closer look with your cat-like eyes, you discover that's not the only thing that sets it apart.

'Keep out! Defective!'

A warning message has been carved in red.

Perhaps you should leave it alone...

-------

wise-up!
    Nya Nya Discipline
    Semi-Unique - E-rank
    At first glance a night-vision spell with cat-like flavor, Nya Nya discipline is the first of a series of formulas designed to achieve the ferocity and mobility of a cat. Not only the user will be able to see in the dark for a cheap cost, but it comes with the added bonus of never failing to land well on all fours! With enough training, it can even be used in mid-air to dodge attacks one would not be able to avoid otherwise. These complex mid-air movements can go beyond the understanding of a human brain, making it hard, if not impossible for the user to maintain complete control over his body when it triggers. Thus, someone experienced enough to predict the spell movement pattern can abuse this and take the right countermeasures.

Blog Entries
    Jade Sapphy
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

The taste of dirt was getting to be almost routine at this point. When Jade leaped to her feet after a quick double spiral, spitting out grass and clawing at the petroglyph and verbalizing vague but significant homicidal ideation, it could be reasonably inferred that the next several seconds were going to be filled with egregious violations of school rules and the usage of Miracles. However when Jade regained her footing she very clearly did a mental double take when she examined the air a few feet above her recent encounter. She had to look around twice, blinking owlishly through her glasses before her vision came to rest on the apparently soft spoken girl who had ran her over.

There was an additional pause where jade craned her neck and looked behind said girl, as if expecting...or perhaps hoping...to see a larger and more aggressive person somehow concealed behind her.

"Ahhhh..." Jade said, running a dirty covered hand through sweat matted hair.

"Im ok, sheesh, ive been getting bumped on the head a lot today, im getting used to it!"

At that, Jade reached out said grungy and muck covered hand. "Hiya! My name is Jade, im a knight! You are so smart, and lucky. Look at that," Jade nodded towards the slightly smaller girl's wheelchair. "What an idea, you can go for a ride whenever you want! Can't blame you for hitting me, if I had a thing like that I would be racing around too!"

Jade large and infectious smile did showed no regard for what might charitably be termed an insensitive thing to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Arthur Waynwood
    Monday - Morning

Naturally, my search for an erstwhile companion ends with me walking in circles.

A 'strong person' is difficult to find at the best of times, even at the halls of the institute, strength came in many forms, most of the monsters of the wasteland are not typically given to lending a helping hand to a 'virgin'.

A ghastly term for reds, such as myself, one would think the country would have more regard for the color of the people, but alas, royal blue of the west is the color of the day.

The highest might as well be Green if they want to prostitute themselves that badly, but I suppose even they have their pride.

Still, that being said:

I needed to find a person who was; A) Willing to work with me, a possible unknown and member of the most ruthless center of learning for those like myself, and B) Compatible with my expertise, which was not quite as complicated as it may have been for some people.

Part A was the most important for the moment, B could be worked on.

So, logically, I would have to find a gathering place of people where there was a minimum of chaos and people running around trying to snap up team members.

Immediately removing the first option, I found my way to a cozy bar, the decor tasteful enough and the atmosphere soothing and relaxing, the kind of place one would frequent after a long, trying day.

So, naturally, the place was dotted with lone patrons mulling over their next move, no groups.

Hm?

Oh, it seems I'm managed to stick out by virtue of being a man.

How troublesome.

Hm, still, I needed to make some sort of move forward, and naturally, the first order of business when entering an establishment is to give your regards to the proprietor, it was only polite for a guest.

It gave me an opportunity to gather my thoughts and plan my approach, I pace up to the bar thoughtfully, hemming and hawing slightly.

"A fine Virgin Mary to begin with, please."

Decisions, decisions.

I drummed my fingers on the bartop for a moment, "Pardon, but you don't happen to have any treasure behind that counter, per chance?"

I went for the direct approach.

A pause, then I allow myself a small, sheepish smile, silently acknowledging the slightly boorish pick-up line that could've been.

Ryuzaki Nanami
    Starlight Academy – Park
    Monday – Morning

"Number #1? You're right. If we're going to try our hardest, might as well aim for the top."

The thought has never crossed her mind. That's because winning the tournament is such an unrealistic goal that her mind has never paused for a minute to consider it. Words enough won't be enough to change that stance, much less this early into the game. However, being able to talk like this, as if the impossible were possible... It loosens the mood and helps Yuki relax. Though she does not voice it, you can tell a part of her is already thanking you.

"Mhm. I am actually sure a lot of people think the same. An operator is similar to a Bishop, in that their mere presence should be enough to give the entire team an edge. That's why I bet a lot of teams will initially look for an operator instead of a fourth fighter. But, at the same time, this change of rules enforced by the first trial has hit us operators the hardest, since we are the ones who need to prepare the most. And a clumsy operator is as useless as a Knight who can't eliminate opponents or apply pressure."

An operator has the tools to make up for the lack of a fourth fighter, however, it depends on how the operator uses them. Team compatibility is important as well. There are teams who put all their faith in their operator and teams who simply won't listen to their advice. Optimally, a middle ground is desired. And because all team compositions will be decided in a rush, the job of an operator has become several times harder. This is what Amai is trying to convey.

After looking at her Miracle's portable display, the red-haired girl declares:

"Listen, Nanami. As you said, traps are probably the biggest danger we'll be facing during this first trial. That's why... I don't want you to go opening any chests on your own. Leave those for when you assemble a team."

She's referring to a message that's just arrived. In addition to being awarded points for your academic performance, there is a notice about classes being suspended for the day and the permission to start treasure hunting -to an extent- without a team. Naturally, Yuki's order can sound a little bit confusing at first. If this is a race, what's wrong with starting a little sooner? Besides, you're the kind of person who probably wouldn't be able to help herself if a shiny chest popped up within your line of vision. But then it dawns on you...

---That's precisely why your friend is telling you this.

"What happens when a participant opens a chest that contains a trap...? That's right, they are sent to 'jail'. And in order to get out..."

... Someone else has to set them free.

Furthermore, when all members of a team have been imprisoned, the hunt for them ends.

Ack! Traps are even more dangerous than you thought!

"Good luck, Nanami. I'll see you at noon."

And with that the two of you part ways.

Amai and yourself both cover a 'support' role, so naturally your instinct tells you to look for an 'attacker'. Fortunately, being quite popular, those should be simple enough to find.

All you need to do is let yourself be drawn towards the nearest conmotion.
    Last edited by hero; June 5th, 2018 at 04:36 AM.

Takumi Hokuto (& Ryuzaki Nanami)
    Starlight Academy- Road I
    Monday- Morning

The rumors of a mysterious swordsman from a school of no renown having claimed victory over a good number of students within the past few minutes soon reaches you ears. In order to assemble a good team as soon as possible, you follow the trail of rumors into a big crowd that has gathered in one of the main roads. Making quick use of your wits, you manage to secure a spot from which you'll have good visuals of what's going on. Apparently, a ten point mock battle has just concluded. Since fights between Miracle Wielders tend to end rather swiftly when it's just one on one combat, ten point matches are believed to be the best way to gauge someone's fighting potential. Like the name suggests, the first to eliminate his or her opponent ten times first wins. Additional limitations can be agreed upon. In this case, you overhear that the mock battles being held only allow the use of a single spell formula. Finally, since this isn't an 'official match', those involved do not have to worry about their Battle Record dropping if they lose, although the result might still have an impact on their fame in certain scenarios.

Kato Kagari X X X X O X X X X X X
    Inokuma Tenshin O O O O X O O O O O O

"Man, I didn't stand a chance... I couldn't read your movements at all. Still, I feel like I've learned a thing or two. Thanks for the match!"

The boy who just suffered an overwhelming defeat is Kato Kagari, a student from Tir Na Nog Academy who favors melee attacks and the use of the fire element. He's the hot-blooded type who jumps into battle without thinking much about it. He probably was unable to anticipate that his opponent is not someone he can defeat at his current level. However, his personality is also what allows him to come back from this battle with his morale unscratched, so it balances out. Ultimately, the difference in experience was what determined the result, so with enough practice, he might have a chance at it in the future.

"..."

In contrast, the girl standing on the opposite side remains there in silent meditation. Though the gap between them was evident during the match, Kagari was still able to snatch a win 'out of nowhere', or so the comments the crowd makes lead you to believe. When it comes to appearance, the swordswoman stands out of her short height, most likely due to being much younger than most of those present. It's been around an hour since she started having matches but she doesn't look exhausted at all. Her eyes speak of a fierce determination, but unlike Kato's, there is no fire in them. They remind you of Rie, in a way. It's not hard to guess that she'll keep fighting until someone manages to put an end to her winning streak.

"Well, then. I'm next."

The new challenger is at least twice her size. His face is not familiar to you, but the moment his name appears on display, you recall hearing that he's been Murakami Kano's -one of Starlight's aces- martial arts mentor. Ishibashi Meiji... He's part of Tir Na Nog Academy as well, however the aura he exudes feels more similar to Tenshi's than Kato's. It makes no difference if this isn't an official match, or if there are better things he should be doing -like finding himself a team-, he's here to claim victory. Between these two... Will experience really be the defining factor? It certainly doesn't look like it.

"Ishibashi Meiji. Rook. Soul Forge."
    "Inokuma Tenshin. Knight. Muramasa."

As the fighters announce their respective names, roles and Miracles, the scenery around them changes, transporting them and the crowd to the interior of a traditional high school. This is A.I. Space, an artificial 'world' generated for Miracle Wielders to fight against one another without causing extreme environmental damage. Together with the Folding Jacket, it's what allows them to freely train and engage in combat without any risks to their health or someone else's well-being. Since this is a duel-type match, only Inokuma and Ishibashi will be able to interact with the background and with one another. The crowd can watch the match in 'spectator mode', being akin to ghosts that can't even be seen or heard by the combatants. The location was picked at random, but the cramped hallways of the school make for an advantageous place for both of them, who look to get close and personal as soon as possible. Now then, who will make the first move...?

"Moon-tearing Fang!"

Keeping her distance, Tenshin draws a beautiful arc with her katana. With her Spell Formula increasing the range of her attack drastically, she is able to unleash a fatal slash without having to risk venturing into Meiji's personal space. Moreover, her technique isn't any slower than an attack thrown at melee range. In other words, unlike a normal projectile, which takes a few moments to reach the target, Moon-tearing Fang can cut through the opponent in an instant. However, her opponent has watched enough of her battles to anticipate this, and quickly avoids it, lowering his stance and dashing through the opening the technique has left behind...!

"Einherhar!"

Einherhar is a common formula used among melee fighters. Though the heat it generates prevents the user from using other formulas freely in battle, it greatly enhances one of three physical capabilities: Strength, speed or endurance. Since his fingerless gloves are rarely enough to eliminate a foe in a single blow, unlike Inokuma's Miracle which can easily leave a rival crippled or even end a match with a single swing, Meiji relies on Einherhar to give his punches the force of a giant hammer swung at full force.

Suddenly, a storm of fist rains down on the swordswoman-!

But if Meiji's fist are like a hurricane, Tenshin's movements are resemble lightning. Her smaller frame allows her to move around with less difficulty and it soon becomes evident her opponent is going to have a hard time trying to catch her with his attacks. Through a series of jumps and dashes, she's able to avoid taking direct damage, though it is hard to say for how long this will persist. After all, with each punch thrown, a part of the battlefield is reduced to rubble. Moreover, if she keeps at it, she'll soon become exhausted...

Which is precisely why she must put an end to this fast-!

The crowd is left speechless. A moment, it looks like Meiji has the victory in the bag, the next, his body has collapsed on the floor, defenseless. With a swift, unexpected slide, Tenshin used Muramasa to slice through his ankles-!

"Tch... Well, played."

Such event marks the end of the first round.

-------

Inokuma Tenshin O O X X X X X X X X X X
    Ishibashi Meiji X X O O O O O O O O O O

Fifteen minutes later, the final results are displayed for all to see. Although Ishibashi lost the first couple of rounds pretty easily, he turned the tables on Inokuma at round three, and didn't lose a single round since that point. This leaves people wondering if he truly was going all out at the beginning of if he simply used those rounds to get a feel on the opponent.

"It's my complete loss..."

The girl admits, feeling a tad ashamed of herself. Though she had managed to gather quite the attention with her winning streak, now that she has lost in such a painful way, the crowd begins to disperse, no longer interested.

"It might have turned differently if we had gone at it fully equipped." The man let out a big sigh. "... Or if you have used your Miracle properly. That sword style... Doesn't suit you."

"..."

As more and more people begin to walk away, your presence becomes harder and harder to hide.

-------

Wise-Up!
    Moon-tearing Fang
    B-rank - Semi-unique
    Simple in theory, Moon-tearing Fang is a complex formula that can only be deciphered with the help of someone who has already mastered it. It's main function is to extend the range of the blade considerably at the moment of attack, allowing the users to slash at their opponents from a safe distance. It can also be used to effectively destroy obstacles and clear up a path. The main disadvantage is that the timing on the technique is so precise that no other formulas can be used alongside it. Exclusive for Blade-type Miracles.

Einherhar (Strength)C-rank - Common
    Popular among brawlers, this particular version of Einherhar bestows physical strength far superior to that of a normal human being. Even so, it appears that without precise hits, it is impossible to eliminate opponents with a single blow. Useful for destroying structures or intercepting physical projectiles, this straightforward formula can prove to be quite versatile if equipped by the right person.
    Last edited by hero; June 8th, 2018 at 05:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Takumi Hokuto
    Starlight Academy- Road I
    Monday- Morning

By the time the match is over, most of the onlookers are already walking off. Myself, I'm still interested in what I just saw. The capabilities of the two students has certainly caught my attention, so it's only natural that I stick around and feel things out a bit more. And though it goes without saying that this Ishibashi guy interest me, his comment has shifted my attention a bit.

"Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that, man."

Stepping forward, I make myself known. I smile and greet the two, but I immediately direct my attention to the pint-sized samurai.

"Inokuma Tenshin, huh? Weird name," I squat down to put myself more at her level. Taking a good look at her face, I can see reasoning behind everything she is. Rather, the reason she fights the way she does, "Still, there's no denying you're pretty good with that sword."

I grab a hold of her hand and examine her palms real quick. She's a girl, but the skin on her palms is rough. You can tell that she has put a lot of effort into practicing her form.

"Ah, right. Excuse me."

Moving on, I lift the girl's shirt up so that I can get a good look at her core. She's been fighting a bunch of continuous matches here, so I doubt that her endurance is a problem. Her stomach is pretty trim and her abs are well toned. And it doesn't look like she's particularly straining herself. Doesn't seem winded. Doesn't look like her stomach is cramping up. So yeah, I doubt pacing was an issue either.

"Now this is just a guess, but something tells me there's nothing wrong with Tenshin's fighting style," I scope out the condition of her legs while I'm at it, "Not much for swords myself, but I didn't really see anything wrong with how she was using it. On a technical standpoint anyway. But if I had to say something seemed off to me, I'd say that it seemed like she wasn't really using the completed method she has been taught. Holding back, if you will."

Letting go of Tenshin's shirt, I stand back up and dust off my hands. Taking one last look at her, I think about her size, movements, and style.

"Just taking a stab in the dark here, but I'd bet her style uses up a lot of energy. Probably not suited for extended conflicts. She's trained her small body to handle that strenuous style, but that still doesn't resolve the issue of it using up more energy than her body can produce. So she can't really use it properly after so many battles. I dunno, I'm just spitballing here, but it seems to me like she was trying to adapt that style accordingly."

Laughing to myself, I turn to face Ishibashi Meiji. He's probably the one that intrigues me the most out of the duo.

"Sorry. I'm a bit of a fighting nut, so I tend to ramble about these sorts of things. I was watching you guys fight and both of you caught my interest. Still, I couldn't quite let that comment of yours slide by," With a bit of defiance, I point over my shoulder at Tenshin, "Whether or not her style of swordplay suits her or not, it's the one she has dedicated her blood, sweat, and tears to. As a fellow martial artist, I think you should be able to respect that."

After saying my piece, I get down what I really came here for. Placing my fist again my palm, I face Meiji fully and offer a respectful salute.

"Anyway, if you'd humor me, I'd like to have a quick match with you myself. You see my style is a bit weird and I don't really have many people I can compare myself to and learn from. But you fit that bill. So if I can have a match with someone like you, I feel like I can get an idea of how to develop even further. Both as a martial artist and a mage."
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Ishikawa Aoi
    Monday - Morning

The Sleeping Bishop's VIP area. A strange string of events has seemingly brought you here.

"That he did what...?!"

The person sitting on the opposite side of the table isn't just another man. His name is Tsukabe Motoshige, current head of B.A.L.D.R. Force's Execution and Retainment Division, a true Magus who has lived through the 'Ragnarok War', and for a short while, a student of yours as well. His name is recognized by some members of the faculty, but his fame does not expand much more than that. Although, perhaps, it would be more precise to say that 'it cannot expand much more than that'. Said division is, after all, supposed to operate from the shadows. That's why, when you tell him about the 'little incident' involving the kid you met earlier -who, by the way, foolishly tried to escape and when caught could only utter Tsukabe's name-, his natural reaction is to nearly slam the table in rage and disbelief. Somehow, he manages to restrain himself, mainly out of respect for the owner of this beautiful place.

"... Guh."

The USB device has been placed right in the middle of the table, leaving the man with no options but to talk about it, if only for a little. Naturally, before meeting him, you've already explored its contents. A list of names, bank accounts and sums of money leave little doubt as to what the nature of this document could be. The question is... What exactly is this for and why would the average student have it stored within an USB device? If he felt the need to get rid of it, maybe he was being pursued. That's a motive.

"Forgive Aichi. He's not with the Force. Damn, I don't even know why my division is the one supposed to be babysitting him."

The man rants a little bit as he pours more alcohol into his glass. Under normal circumstances, the conversation would have been over already. But because you are old colleagues, and because he's grateful you've come to him instead of someone else, you've been given some leeway.

You can probably ask a couple of questions. That said, no matter what appearances might imply, you know Tsukabe is a professional and won't openly disclose all information, not even to you.

"Had you told me earlier this job would be such a pain in the ass, I might have stayed as head of Tsukuyomi-jima's Police Department."

-------

Glosary
    True Magus
    Someone who has transcended human limits after merging with parasite entities known as Magical Weapons. Nowadays, True Magi are rare to find, and searching for unawakened stones has become a fool's errand. True Magi do not age and demonstrate incredible physical aptitude that Miracle Wielders can only partially emulate through the use of the Spell Formula 'Einherjar'. They also possess a regenerative factor capable of bringing the body back to perfect condition -Although not immediately- even when their body has been almost completely obliterated. They hold absolute control over an 'element' or a 'concept', turning them into a potential threat to humanity, but also its greatest defense force. It is said that unless the Magus' weapon is destroyed, a Magus cannot die. Likewise, it is said that if a Magus' Magical Weapon breaks, then their death is assured. When a Magus dies, their bodies disperse into particles of Magical Energy, their identities forgotten by all who aren't true Magi themselves.
    Tsukabe Motoshige
    CAIN
    Former participant of the 'Ragnarok War', experience seems to have turned Tsukabe into a better person. Going from leader of a street gang to head of the Police Department in record time, it didn't take long for the B.A.L.D.R. Force to take notice of what he was capable of. However, his personality and bad attitude towards some of his peers have held him back and allowed younger members to claim higher positions in his place. His Magical Weapon is a black mud like substance that can shape itself into an armor. Without abuse of concepts that only True Magi are capable of, its defenses cannot be breached, and even his mind is protected from outside interference. Some fear that Link Slash might not be enough to seal his powers away if he were to rebel, however, few consider himself a threat. His offensive power is low and of extremely low scale.

Nakamura Amaya
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

"Mou... You too? It's just not fair. All the time we're told 'grades don't matter' and stuff, but then suddenly we need a good academic record get more points. I bet it's all cuz of the other schools, otherwise they'd never match Tir Na Nog in raw power, don't you think so too?"

It's true that in Tir Na Nog grades hardly matter at all. First of all, grades are often used to measure -albeit not always accurately- a Miracle Wielder's growth. Other schools have progression systems: Starlight follows the 'normal school' tradition, Ravensworth gives students medals for their achievements and the Russian Institute divides them by color. In contrast, there are no distinction between Tir Na Nog students. Since graduates only leave the school 'whenever they feel ready', it wouldn't come as a surprise to find someone who has spent half a decade there within your class, getting the same treatment you do. In a sense, that's why newbies have it hard in Tir Na Nog...

"And of course it wasn't easy. It was overkill-! It's like Mom wants us all to fail..."

Misao shakes her head in an attempt to erase that day from her memories.

"Anyways! It's all about gathering a team now, isn't it? Well, that shouldn't be too hard for me! It might be tough for you since probably only a couple students from other schools know your name."

You can think of one, but you definitely wouldn't agree to form a team with that person.

"So, I thought... Instead of going to fetch a team ourselves, we should make the team gather around us. And the best way to do that is with a Mock Battle. What do you say, Nakamura? I've been wanting to fight you for a while now."

Now it's Shiomi the one who stands in your way, pointing a finger towards your chest.

"But to make it more exciting, let's put a Spell Formula on the line. We're both sword users, and Knights on top of that, so I am sure I have one or two recipes that could be of use to you... But know that I do not intend to lose against you-!"

Ah, looks like she's really fired up.

It would take a miracle for you to be allowed to back off from this challenge...

"I'll prove Mom should have entrusted that package to me!"

... So that's it...

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nakamura Amaya
    Starlight Academy - Park
    Monday - Morning

"Gambling formulas on it eh?"

To be frank, or rather speaking logically about the situation, she probably shouldn't do it. As confident as she was in her own power, there's a notable difference between average everyday confidence and 'I'll just go ahead and knock out the school's ace real quick' levels of confidence, especially when her name isn't that well-known outside of the school...

One is reasonable at a glance, the other is basically arrogance at a glance, or perhaps naivety?

But...

"Yeah, sure."

...In the end, she is still a Nakamura; there's a certain family legacy that has to be upheld here, and even beyond that, if she was being completely honest with herself, she had been looking for an opportunity to clash with the ace herself for ages now.

"But if my opponent is someone like you, I really can't afford to hold anything back," brushing strands of crimson hair from her eyes, the smiling girl maintains the same sense of absolute confidence she had held during that morning's exam, "So don't be too surprised if I knock you down in front of everyone, ace or no ace I play to win, and I kinda feel like Mihou will come after me if I lose so quickly after being entrusted with this, so-!"

Mihou probably wouldn't actually do that, but reasons to beat people up were reasons to beat people up! She definitely still had to do her best to win; it would be a good boost to her fame, a good way to improve her current swordsmanship, draw some people into the area, and ultimately be one hell of a story to tell her father.

Beating an ace? This ace in particular?

Yeah...

She'd definitely get some praise from it-!

If she loses well... Maybe Misao would finally get some praise of her own; Mihou didn't do many things, but at the very least Amaya didn't think that the older woman thought she was weak.

A worthy victory.

There would have to be some sort of catharsis if she lost here-!

Not that she had any intention to!

"-Let's get right to it!"

"Nakamura Amaya. Knight. Everheart."

Since it seemed like she was being allowed to pick the stage-

-There was really only a single place for this sort of match to take place.

At least, that was how the story the old man had told had always gone.
    Last edited by Airen; June 16th, 2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Noah Habiki
    Starlight Academy - Harbor
    Monday - Morning

The warning was written in red as if blood was use for the replacement of ink. The creepiness of it didn't fly pass me but a strange urge overcame me. Surely, common sense alerted me that this was a trap, something horrible waiting to happen but I couldn't turn away from it. I kicked it a few times, even poke it with a stick I found nearby but the box didn't make any reaction that would warrant a grave message. There was no way I would be foolish enough to actually open it but what if someone else did?

Was this a chest?

... That would be bad. If any other student found this and god forbid decided to open its contents. Would they get hurt? Perhaps strong enough to fend off against the trap? The women who announced the rules of the trial spoke of being sent to a jail and only your teammates could get you out?

But what if you didn't have any teammates to begin with?

The students from the Russian Institute could handle it with ease if my previous encounters prove otherwise. The rest of the students from the other schools haven't made that much of an expression on me... except Ginko of course.

"For Christ sake."

This shit was frustrating to think over it. Do I open it or leave it be? Hell, who thought of leaving it here in the first place?

"I swear, the things I do for people."

I decided to open out of a misplaced sense of concern. I ready myself for anything, going as far as to think of what spells to trigger just in case. The pit in my stomach grew deeper and my mouth got dry a little.

I placed a palm on the lid of the box and as I opened slowly lift the lid, my mind already triggered the correct spell for this occasion, although, the headache in advance will be a bitch to deal with.
    Last edited by Typhous; June 17th, 2018 at 05:08 PM.
    "Nothing is the greatest gift Mankind has ever been giving."

"Wait. How so?"

"Because it's the only thing Mankind can ever give a shit about"

Shuugetsu Heika
    Monday - Morning

With that attitude, it is hard to believe anyone would like to team up with you. Hell, if the chest had to pick a partner between the two, Agnethe would be its first choice. To emphasize this point, what you find inside the chest is not a legendary item, nor a juicy amount of points, but rather a strange, yet simple device seemingly taken out of the BDSM section of a questionable and obscure shop. You aren't even granted an instant to examine it, at best, you only manage to raise your hand to cover your face in an instinctive act of self-preservation. Yes, for what comes out of the chest at blinding speeds that no spell formula would be able to match at this distance... Is a projectile, a clear attack against your person.

"..."

There is a brief moment of silence before you hear Grieser's response, which turns out to be a sudden burst of laughter. It's only when you take a look at your wrist, that you take notice of what exactly has happened: You've been hand-cuffed-! At that instant, you are reminded of the exact mechanics of the First Trial, about chests, clues but more importantly about traps.

---'If a participant falls for a trap, they'll be sent to 'jail'. To escape, someone else must set them free. If all team members are sent to 'jail', then they'll be disqualified.'

"Hahahaha-! Serves you right, idiooooot~!"

How strong you are hardly matters, a part of you is already wondering if this is indeed the end. To have fallen before the 'true' start of the event is an act that puts the name Shuugetsu Heika to shame. You can already feel your fame plummeting all the way down to the ground and below, together with its chances to ever soar again. Huh? But isn't it strange? Though your right wrist has indeed been caught, you don't seem to be bound to the chest. In fact, you can effortlessly raise your hand and lift the device together with it. Perhaps it didn't trigger properly...? There is actually a free handcuff on the other side...

---Ziing.

"Ack?! Hey!"

As if the situation couldn't get any worse, toying a bit with the device has caused it to fire the remaining projectile, which precisely captures Agnethe's left hand. Although it is quite satisfying to cut her laugher short, the realization that the two of you are bound together does not bring as much joy. Fortunately, the steel wire's extension seems to be long enough to force you to invade each other's personal space, but you need to get rid of this thing fast, before despair begins to set in!

"What are you, some kind of sadomasochist freak?! Let me go, you perv!"

Actually, that description suits her better...

In the middle of your struggle, an holographic display appears on top of the opened chest, revealing information that was not available before. Wait... What is this-?! Is it hacking into your Miracle?!

'Chest Rarity: SR.
    Points Worth: 80 Points
    Type: Co-Op Challenge.

Disabling users' Robotic;Notes... Disabled.
    Disabling users' SF slots 1-6... Disabled.
    Imaginary Stage... Set.
    Initiating... Town C.
    Difficulty: Hard.'

-------

You've been transported somewhere else. Or rather, your surrounding have just changed.

This is likely the work of A.I. Space, the generic Robotic;Notes all schools are equipped with to prevent collateral damage from Miracle Combat. The chest most likely contained a program that forced it to adopt a specific configuration. None of what you saw on the display appears to have been a lie. A lot of your Miracle Function's have been disabled. Most notably, most of your spell slots. It appears you'll have to make do with just one. A beep sounds informs you that this quest's info has been updated:

'Victory Condition: Either Participant reaches the Goal Point, located at the top of the hill.
    Fail if:
    * Either Participant is Eliminated.
    * Time runs out.'

Oh darn, the timer has already started to count down. Less than five minutes remain.

"You can't be serious. What a bore..."

You are still bound to your precious partner. You probably don't need to work together to reach the goal, but the rules already give you a bad feeling. 'If either participant is eliminated'... That means that your own survival won't suffice, but also it means there is something out there that can 'eliminate' you.

And there is something about this map...

Something that puts your body on high alert.
    Last edited by hero; June 17th, 2018 at 03:33 PM.