Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Make-A-Magus Contest

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Has voting began yet? Usually You explicitly announces it. Whatever. Here's mine.

3 points: Madison Montagne. It's simple, but I just really love the basic concept of this. Really creative and well-done.

2 points: Tenhourin Zuizan. Daneel's stuff is amazing as always, and this is no exception. The tie in with Kiyohime's legend and integration of Buddhist lore was really cool.

1 point: Carrick Ithildred. His personality is fun and the way his cursecraft works is very interesting.

Pretty much all the entries were some degree of good, but as an honorary mention, the idea of using English language 'curse words' as actual curses in zikari's Matsuoka sheet is incredibly hilarious. Kudos to that.

Blog Entries
    3pts- Catarina. The details are fascinating
    2pts- Madison. An interesting and creative idea.
    1pts- Pierce. A funny idea, fun to read

Shit, next time I will have to work harder
    My servants and mages
    Sorry, my english sucks

Things

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Incidentally, my idea of encouraging someone is to kidnap them, starve them, and then spend hours a day slapping their bound and gagged body with my penis.

Greatest battle in history
    He-man x Shiki Satsujinki

I love the internet

OH GOD SO CUTE

Blog Entries
    3 points - Tenhourin Zuizan
    2 points - Madison Montagne
    1 point - Alexander Liao

How long does voting last? Still gotta read all the last minute sheets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flustered Saber View Post
    How long does voting last? Still gotta read all the last minute sheets.
    A week

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    3 - Mamoru Matsuoka (Don't think that actually qualifies as magecraft without linking it to a concept that's a bit older. Type writer mystic code is very good. But v good)
    2 - Henry Pentagast (taking the whole spiritual surgery is a curse etc stuff and going with that witch doctor stuff is good)
    1 - Tenhourin Zuizan (gud)
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, i dont feel confortable but i will cast my votes

1 point- hazel by bearhero: i like the idea of a magus detective
    2 points- mamoru by zikari: i realy like the idea of a literal cursing guy
    3 points - platina by royd : i love the idea of... Well, platina. She is like a better executed eddel , wich makes me wonder how she would interact with both the machthalter siblings
    Last edited by the god of world-0; September 24th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

Blog Entries
    1 to Carrick Ithildred. I'm not so much into the idea of centuries of stagnation just so a little kid could revolutionize the family craft, but I do dig the idea of reducing curse severity by spreading it around, so to speak.
    2 to Zuizan. He's more someone cursed, rather than someone cursing, which is why I decided not to give the full 3 points. Still, creative and interesting, using the concepts canon introduced and expanding on them.
    3 to Madison Montaigne. I have a thing for librarians (which red-blooded male doesn't) but the idea of book curses is fascinating. Above all, I like the idea that the only reason her curses don't work on her as well as her victims is because she never leaves the library and there's this massive karmic debt just waiting for her to step outside.

Blog Entries
    1 pt - Alexander Liao
    2 pt - Chiba Fantas
    3 pt - Mamoru Matsuoka

JP Friend Code
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Welp... I'm late again. Better start writing casuals on the Create-A-Mage thread instead.

Anyway,

3 Points to Tenhourin Zuizan. Huh, achieving samadhi through flames indeed. "Kiyohime is
    love
    curse
    , Kiyohime is
    life
    death
    " taken to extreme is amazing.

2 Points to Madison Montagne. I kinda have a weird gravitational pul towards bookish girls, and cursing via books is pretty nice. So 2 points.

1 Point to Alexander Liao. When I was browsing the thread for the Mages, the faceclaim for Liao loaded slowly, so I took the time to read everything first before seeing the faceclaim. Overblown chuuni snake-related techniques, memory
    eating
    erasing
    , the sheet just screams of Hazama. And well... Snake curses.

Honorable mention: Mamoru. Fun sheet, and makes me wonder if people who frequently curses could be mages practicing their craft...
    Last edited by MehKitteh; October 8th, 2017 at 02:37 AM.

Execute C:\local\lib\toh.exe?
    ---
    Dreams of swallow cuts.
    ---
    summs up a lot of my ironic weeaboo circles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    people who have waifus are necessarily mentally ill

Spooky Scary Counter-Guardian Balthizar's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    This month's selection is difficult to choose between. Almost everything is really good.

3 points: Platina Egress Wingfield
    I really enjoy her refined and diciplined personality and demeanor. I also really enjoy her use of Dainsleif a a genuinely cursed artifact. It's all too often that we see objects that are claimed to be "cursed" but without any tangible evidence of such an effect. I enjoy the way she uses her own magecraft to counter the curse's effect and to augment the sword's beneficial effects. It's also nice to see another Noble Phantasm handed down through the generations like Fragarach and Rhon. An overall enjoable character. We'll done.

2 points: Catarina de la Fuente
    Interesting personality and backstory. I liked her relationship with her apprentice/husband and for the fact that she's not a typical Church member. I particularly enjoyed her Mystic Codes and the great deal of weight behind its lore as well as the responsibility that comes with it. The only thing holding her back from my #1 spot is that her abilities don't seem curse-like enough. I understand that it'ssupposed to be some Old Testament style divine punishment, which is really cool on its own, but I didn't get a real "curse" impression from it. If this month's theme was more general, she would have gotten first place from me easily.

1 point: Madison Montaigne
    I enjoy her bookwormish demeanor, her position in the Association, and her simple but interesting usage of "mail order" curses.

Special mentions to Carrick Ithildred for his unique curse dispersion magecraft, Lieselotte Shadenfreude for having nearly the exact same abilities and backstory as the character I had planned on submitting, and Mamoru Matsuoka for his form of magecraft making me laugh in a "so crazy it just might work" kinda way.
    Nasuverse in a Nutshell
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Gilgamesh fired weapons like rockets back in the day, Enkidu was a shapeshifting mud doll, Elizabeth Bathory had dragon blood, the origin of life is an insane giant, and vampires rule over humans in this odd way where they claim to be the apex of life and are perfect beings. Also every planet has super ultimate beings that are the apex of each planet and will one day come to Earth to rock our shit, and each of these ultimate beings are comparable to vampires.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Jeanne was speaking to the counter force and Karl was driven by aliens. And Jesus was probably Martha's imaginary friend, I'd imagine.

JP Friend Code
    3 points: Tenhourin Zuizan
    2 points: Madison Montaigne
    1 point: Henry Pentagast

Blog Entries
    Huh. Being candid, I was this close to pulling my entry at the last minute, so I'm surprised anyone voted for mine. I honestly think most of the other entries came off stronger as characters. Appreciations all the same, so far. ^^;

As my votes, hm hm hm...

3 points: Carrick Ithildred
    I just really enjoyed the concept and explanation for how the magecraft works. Both the original intent (and how cynically it backfired) as well as how the 'fixed' version worked. You really went heavy into justifying the curse format and I appreciated it.

2 Points: Tenhourin Zuizan
    A very interesting choice for a curse to develop out. The concept is creative, engaging, and strong as are the abilities. The bio raises a lot of cool abilities and story hints, and very very cool magecraft/mystic codes. The only thing that kept it from 3 for me was that I didn't pick up much of his personality from it.

Which was fixed and then some in the addendum.

In the interest of fairness, I can't bring myself to count the vignette since it was added after the window closed. But it gave me a much stronger view of him as a character and is probably the nicest written portrayal of Kiyo I've seen to boot. If I was counting that, I'd say 3. As is, I'll stick with 2.

1 Point: Alexander Liao
    A nice reference to that Eastern curse, especially since you acknowledge its unreliability and need to resort to trickery to make it effective against actual magi. Not a likeable character - but that's rather the point. He fits his niche.

Honorable Mentions:
    Catarina de la Fuente - Really good personality / bio, but very tangential to the theme. I suppose the loss of sensation is a good substitute for the traditional curse kickback, but it's a little too removed for the theme, I feel. Great character, though, and quite well drafted.

Chiba Fantas - I like the idea, though Liao just edged out ahead. I think because he felt like a more digestible single concept and Chiba went in more directions at once. Ending the line with an anti-cursebot is kind of mean, lol.
    Last edited by Sunny; September 27th, 2017 at 01:39 AM.

Signature by fumato

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    3pts - Tenhourin Zuizan
    2pts - Carrick Ithildred
    1pt - Madison Montaigne

- - - Updated - - -

A bit later than I intended but I thought I'd already voted at some point

Wew time to vote

3 Points: Madison Montaigne
    Loved it to death. Cursed libraries, mysterious bookkeepers, malicious cute familiars, mail-order curses, I'm a sucker for the whole package and it's presented in a charming way to boot. Also some strong lore ties which are always nice. Makes me want to see her interact with the Ashurbanipal sheet I made someday.

2 Points:Henry Pentagast
    Nice creepy good guy, and I like the take of keeping the gross destructive tendencies of his curses but turned to a positive bent. Sorta reminded me of Franken Fran, I could see him leading a horror story.

1 Point: Mamoru Matsuoka
    Kind of an odd vote for me because I actually didn't like him. Swearing like a sailor just isn't my cup of tea, but on the other hand it's still a very clever sheet with a lot of love put into it. It's a very funny twist on curses, so even if I didn't like it personally it's without a doubt a good entry.

Can't really give any honorable mentions because I thought they were all really great. Picking second and third place took me most of the week.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    voting ends in like an hour
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Blog Entries
    3 Points: Zuizan

2 Points: Carrick

1 Point: Catarina

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    Well thank you for all the votes. Time to count up the votes.

- - - Updated - - -

Third Place is
    Spoiler:

getting 12 points.

Second is
    Spoiler:

with 20 points

And finally, first is

Spoiler:

Tenhourin Zuizan

with 22 points

Very close race this time. 2 votes separated first and second.
    Also I haven't been saying this for the past two contests but if the sheet authors want to say anything you're more than welcome to.
    Like additions you think might be good to the sheet template or thoughts you had about people's feedback, or congratulating someone, thoughts about your own in comparison to another's, etc.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Only got time to talk about 1 at the moment, I'll do more later if I can. I picked Zuizan as my fav due to the way it meshed itself in with a canonical character and Kiyohime was a perfect candidate. One who is cursed was a creative interpretation of the prompt IMO and the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of.

As for myself... Magus creation may not be my forte but it's enjoyable and I've gone from no mentions to some honourable mentions so I like to think I'm getting better.

Blog Entries
    Kya, congratulations!

I'm not super surprised by the winner - even without considering the attached short scene, using Kiyohime's flames as a curse was a very cool concept and the magecraft showed research too. But there were a lot of strong entrants, honestly. I legitimately considered pulling my entry as a weaker one, so placing silver was a surprise! This was a fun month and looking forward to the next one.

Magus creation is much harder than Servant creation, IMO... But that made it a nice challenge.

Signature by fumato