Blog Entries
    I thought I voted earlier in the month but turns out I hadn't so-

3 Points (Gold Medal) - Lukas Adelbart

2 Points (Silver Medal) - Sesshoin Akira

1 Point (Bronze Medal) - Cassiopeia Ketas Mikrísapoikías

Honourable Mention (Wooden Spoon) - Tenhourin Zuizan

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So before we begin next month's contest. It's time to announce BL's Monthly Magus Contests Best Sheet of 2017 - 2018

In descending order of votes

Spoiler:

With 0 Votes

Spoiler:

With 4 votes each

Spoiler:

With 7 votes

Spoiler:

Tied for 3rd with 10 votes each

Spoiler:
    Virgil Chaucer is 2nd with 11 votes

Spoiler:

The winner for this years most well made magus with 14 points

So congrats on those who finished in the top 3 and all our monthly winners this year.
    I'll be contacting our 2017-2018 Season 1 champ about their prize promptly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So with the beginning of Monthly Make-A-Magus Season 2, the 2018 - 2019 season, our winner for the last contest of last season Zikari8 had this prompt and this to say
    which includes some food quotes

Quote Originally Posted by zikari8
    For this month's contest, I'd like the topic to be ESP or psychic powers. Basically, any magus who also possesses a special power that isn't magecraft and could be considered a psychic ability. Someone like Azaka or Kurogiri would be a good example.

Here is some relevant info:

Quote Originally Posted by KnK Glossary
    ESP (Others)
    Abnormal powers. Functions that normal humans do not possess. A kind of circuitry that leads to what are commonly called paranormal activities.
    Different from magecraft, inborn talents are absolutely necessary for ESP. Those possessing ESP circuits can induce paranormal phenomenons as naturally as breathing. The ESPers themselves take ESP for granted, and treat it as something they simply "can do". They only realise that they are abnormal after others (who can only comprehend "normal") have pointed it out.
    In this story, Asagami Fujino is an ESPer, but since she was tampered with somewhat, her ability falls between ESP and magecraft.
    ESP is normally an incidental occurrence, a sudden mutation limited to one generation.
    Eyes of Direct Death (Others)
    Ryougi Shiki's ESP. Although it has some characteristics that are similar to the Mystic Eyes in magecraft, it is classified as an ESP.
    Eyes of Direct Death allows the user to perceive the the conceptual "Death of an Existence" as visual signals. Death emerges to the surface of an existence (objects, animals, etc) as lines. Cutting along the lines will result in "Death", regardless of the constitution or properties of the object.
    Ryougi Shiki acquired this power after spending two years in a comatose state and contacted " " (Kara) for a prolonged period of time. Shiki's body already had the ability to perceive the Lines of Death, the accident merely awakened this power.
    Of course, Eyes of Direct Death is only one aspect of the powers of this body called "Ryougi Shiki".
    Spontaneous Combustion (Others)
    The so-called unexplained phenomenon of human combustion.
    It was the spell that Kokutou Azaka favoured. However, it was closer to ESP than magecraft. In terms of ESP, it would be called Pyrokinesis.
    Spontaneous Combustion is a method of attack that causes the target to self-combust, rather than immolating the target directly.
    There are many theories which explain Spontaneous Combustion, Azaka's Spontaneous Combustion can be explained by an amalgamation of the Charged Corpus Theory and the Electromagnetism Theory. The Charged Corpus Theory suggests that the human body produces electrical current during states of psychological arousal which causes Spontaneous Combustion, while the Electromagnetism Theory suggests that Spontaneous Combustion is a result of an increased release of electrons in the atmosphere.
    All incantations used to activate Spontaneous Combustion were musical notes, since Azaka comprehended magecraft and combat through music.
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    All systems of mysticism are fundamentally the same thing. In other words, Astrology, Magecraft, Kabballah, Alchemy, or Shamanism are all endeavours of different populations around the world to reach the Root. They are pathways leading to the Root because these powers are all branches of the same stream of power flowing out of the Root.

Although they are fundamentally the same endeavour, it is not necessarily true that they are all powered by circuits and mana. However, they may be all powered by the Lesser or Greater Force through various means.

ESP is just a whole other can of worms. They are not a mysticism uncovered by humans in their pursuit to reach the Root, but just abominations of nature/human development.
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    "However, precisely because of these skills are limited to people with particular genetic mutations, they are able to step into a realm where even individuals like me with accumulated bloodlines cannot reach."

The "people with genetic mutations" are ESPers. The "people with accumulated bloodlines" are mages.
    Additional stuff from me
    https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/i...i:Chapter03_01
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qMTLu-6xck

So in short, the prompt is to write someone who is both a magus and a psychic. The key here seems to weaving the psychic part into the magecraft part.
    Have fun
    Submissions are due 07/24/2018 11:59 pm
    Voting starts the moment submissions end
    Voting finishes 07/31/2018 11:59 pm

Good luck
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Blog Entries

K-Kya, thank you for the kind thoughts...! Um, I'm not good at knowing what to say in this situation, but I'm happy people liked Lukas that much e-even if I'm rather surprised the sheet won, um.

And that's a rather interesting prompt from zikari, so this should be a fun month, yay!

Edit:

Thank you, You! I ended up opting for quartz after deliberating on a new cosplay wig or props... I thought it'd be easier and spare the trouble of mailing. I-I am tentatively ready for Summer 2018!
    Last edited by Sunny; July 2nd, 2018 at 11:25 PM.

Signature by fumato

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    This month's contest has been rather disappointing.
    It's 19 days in and 5 more to go until the voting period so there's definitely more time.
    However, I do want to note that if no entries come in by that time, when we do the September contest Zikari8 has agreed to give a new prompt.
    If there are no entries in September either for whatever reason I'm going to have to consider that as a loss of interest in this contest and close it.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the theme has just been way too specific this time around.

Blog Entries
    Y-you think? It's basically 'a magus who is also a psychic.'

I did have an idea that I ran by zikari yesterday, s-so I should have an entry, just didn't get to write it yet since in the midst of moving. I hope people are just working on them still.

Signature by fumato

FABRICATED HISTORICAL CRISIS SYNDROME gyrowins's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I also had one, because I wrote up a bunch of fan lore for nasuverse ESP, but July's been killing me with workload

Hear me now, O heart of the World:
    Light of Man, Dawn of Life
    Reaching Antiquity, Seizing the Future
    I call upon the stories of heroes long forgotten
    With this hand I will make thee whole.
    Hear me now, God of Prophecy,
    I take up thy Mantle:

Virgilius Musagetes
    Chorus of the Incarnate Dawn

Servant List

Blog Entries
    If anyone is having trouble with the prompt, I apologize for that. I personally thought that psychic powers would allow for a lot of room for creativity.

That said, I'm really looking forward to what people might have up their sleeves.

Blog Entries
    Sacha Engti-Gvozdenzuba

Alias: Subject M125, Agent NY241
    Height/Weight: 177 cm, 58 kg
    Birthplace: Montauk, New York (Legally)

Personality

“Can you feel it? Something terrible happened here…”

Forte: The element of surprise
    Weaknesses: Entering areas with a history of tragic events, over reliant on medication
    Dislikes: People in suits, scientists, headaches
    Natural Talents: Guessing where someone’s about to go
    Natural Enemy: Nrvnqsr Chaos

Sacha seems perpetually drowsy. The side effects of his medication keep him in a hazy state unless he’s actively using his abilities in order to mitigate the debilitating migraines caused by his artificially augmented ESP. His voice and demeanor makes people unconsciously ignore him; he has such little presence that he seems to blend into the background sometimes. A life of being raised in a lab environment has left him with a rather submissive personality. While he might vocally complain about being coerced to do something, he typically doesn’t refuse the words of an authority figure.
    The oppressiveness of his early life has also left him with a primarily pessimistic outlook on the future, as well as the world, though his ESP might also be to blame. The ability to see into history has left him disillusioned with human progress. For now, he just lives from one day to another surviving as well as he can.

Magical Attributes

“Come forth, stagnant echoes, and retake your place in this world.”

Origin: Memento
    Elemental Alignment: Wind

Doctor's Notes
    Memento. Almost makes you feel sorry for this brat. Still, it makes it awfully convenient to keep him leashed. Good thing we awakened him to it before he got out of control. No idea where he'd be without it.
    - Dr. Yeriel

ESP Attributes

It’s a river now. Or maybe it was a river, once.

Rhine Index: 0 ⏩ 0.6
    Doctor's Notes
    Rhine Index 0 displayed upon arrival. Regular doses of Zenerol-30 have raised it to around a 0.6. Nowhere near Japan’s rumored 0.98 manifestation, but it’s certainly progress. Especially for someone who had not displayed psychic potential prior to our involvement. Dealing with the Russians seems promising. Must remember to gene sequence.
    - Dr. Yeriel

Ganzfeld Scale: ?
    Doctor's Notes
    Absolutely no display of traditional telepathic projection, not even surface readings. However, his ability to perceive the Noosphere gives him the ability to read thoughts that commonly occur in a specific area. Could be used to directly pick up on enemy tactics or typical schedules to backup an assassin.
    - Dr. Yeriel

Magic Circuits

“Why are you making me do this? I-It feels like I’m driving a knife into my arm!”

Circuit Quantity: E
    Circuit Quality: D
    Circuit Composition: Simple, Isolated in his Right Forearm

Doctor's Notes
    Absolutely worthless. If it wasn't for his ESP, he wouldn't be able to cast even a basic curse. Wouldn't be worth my time either.
    - Dr. Yeriel

Biography

I don’t get vacation time? Well, I guess that’s alright...

A test subject acquired through paralegal means by MITHRA, the U.S. Government’s Magical Innovation and Technology Heuristic Research Agency. Technically, it’s only a subsidiary of DARPA, but it is nevertheless very well funded. While essentially the North American equivalent to the European Mage’s Association, it delved into further paranormal subjects such as alien activity and psychic phenomena. Most rumors involving secret government activity, such as weather control systems or memory wipes, do have some merit given MITHRA’s shady practices.

Sacha is one subject of the Agency’s Psychic Division. He was taken from some nameless village in Eastern Russia and brought to the United States in a paranormal material trade deal. He had been brought due to rumors surrounding supernatural events, such as the reappearance of the dead or spontaneous fires breaking out, but upon close analysis the American researchers found him to be perfectly and disappointingly mundane.

Rather than admitting they had wasted resources by setting him free, they subjected him to a drug that was supposed to grant psychic abilities. Rather than grant him any abilities, it reawakened those that he had lost as a child: the ones that had brought him to the Americans in the first place. In doing so, however, the drug has fully sealed his normal sense of perception. Seeing potential in this child, but not enough so as to keep him under wraps, the higher ups decided to give him some basic training and send him out into the field. They gave him a basic codename and sent him out into the world with a partner, a handler really, so that the Agency’s will be done. Thus far, he’s caused more collateral damage than he would have liked.

Psychic Ability

Of course I knew you would be here. You’re always here at 8 in the morning, except on Saturdays.

Rewrite Advent: A psychic ability that allows for the manipulation of the Morphic Resonance field in order to sharply increase the probability of something happening again in the same area. “Morphic Resonance” is a temporal emanation only visible to those with specialized extrasensory perception. It is a sort of “record” of psychic probability. Any event that transpires in a location leaves an “imprint” in that location that subtly manipulates probability in that area so that the event is more likely to happen there again. All events form an imprint in this field, but events instigated by sentient creatures leave a much more noticeable one. This means that the ‘laws of nature’ are more akin to ‘psychic memories’ imprinted onto the World that are subconsciously called upon by all things. In truth, Morphic Resonance is the psychic consequence of the existence of Akasha. This field that surrounds the planet is known as the “Noosphere” to parascientific circles.

Sacha is able to look into this field in order to read past events, effectively granting him a somewhat inaccurate form of retrocognition.

Magecraft Ability

Just… breathe… don’t think… just remember...

Spiritual Evocation: A school of Magecraft focused on calling forth spiritual beings and binding them to the will of the caster. Given his low magic circuit count, one would assume that Sacha cannot perform anything other than low-grade evocation, which would be a correct assumption. However, when partnered with Rewrite Advent and bolstered by his Mystic Code, Sacha can call forth a “virtual manifestation of an event” rather than simply make it more likely for it to occur again. As long as something occurred somewhere, no matter how unlikely an event it was, he can use Evocation to drag it out of the past and into the present. Granted, the existence is only temporary, but he is able to direct the summoned event to a certain extent limited to repositioning it or releasing it early. Despite the specializations involved, it is still taxing on his circuits. Performing even a minor evocation can expend his entire mana store.

Events evoked in this way appear as white silhouettes that leave a smokey trail as they move.

Mystic Code

No, these rings don’t mean anything special. They’re just collars.

Eta-Grade Origin Inducer: A set of matching rings on each of Sacha’s index fingers. A simple tungsten design not normally conductive to any sort of magecraft. Its true nature is to serve as a container for samples of his bone marrow, carefully treated using alchemical practices to produce a signature keyed to his origin “Memento.” By focusing on this signature, Sacha can consistently control his Evocation. Without it, he would spontaneously evoke phenomena when stressed.

Creator Remarks

A considerable amount of these “technical” terms are described further in detail elsewhere, but I feel that giving only slight context works best for this sheet.

Entities like Nrvnqsr Chaos carry with them a disturbance in the Morphic Resonance field. To Sacha, the Dead Apostle Ancestor looks like a confluence of different memories, all clustered into something like a blackhole shaped like a man. The sheer amount of information this carries with it would overload Sacha's mind.

I take up thy Mantle:

Virgilius Musagetes

Servant List

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    First post
    nice

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the problem is it's hard to think of something that hasn't already been done.

And RL is not helping me atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Blog Entries
    I’ll be posting mine tonight if its okay but it might be a little late in the evening.

Signature by fumato

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Case #1986
    "Behold: a glimpse of the world only we can see. The ticket there is as cheap as your own life."

Echera Samarn
    The current head of the Samarn family. A prodigal Spiritual Doctor that will operate on Lords and heretics alike.

A cold person who is difficult to read. Sources indicate she was once an immature girl with little interest in magecraft, but her current behavior bears no resemblance to that past. Because she practices seclusion and communicates through familiars and couriers when not operating, it has been difficult to collect information on her temperament. The few agents able to interact with her personally have described Echera as prejudiced against humans.

She ascended to her position seven years ago at the age of sixteen, after the simultaneous death of her predecessors in the [REDACTED] incident. Though the Samarn lineage dates back several centuries, Echera is the first to have earned it any prestige, by doing business with mages of the Association. In exchange for her actions she was granted an honorary position in the Anthropology department, a yearly stipend, and the right to continue with her operations without fear of Sealing.

Even so, merchants of death like Echera Samarn will never be beyond suspicion.

Extrasensory Perception
    A mutation that appears without warning. The inborn ability to view a "channel" not visible to regular humans. Often this is at the expense of the original "channel" with which a human would view the world, causing defects in mentality that make it difficult for the ESPer to function in society. Common abilities such as pyrokinesis, telekinesis, and clairvoyance exist among others, such as [REDACTED] and [REDACTED]. Because it has no link to any thaumaturgical foundation, ESP is largely considered a dead end, unconnected to the goal of magi. One's innate abilities can be supplemented and intertwined with magecraft, but as ESP never extends beyond the self and cannot be inherited, doing so provides no value to the bloodline.

There are those, however, who disagree with this consensus.

"Each instance of Extrasensory Perception is subtly different," was the claim of a prominent Samarn ancestor. "Those whom possess this channel see a world most of us cannot fathom. Surely, then, there exists a possibility that one among them will have the power to peer into void itself. In fact, the word possibility is inaccurate; our findings indicate that this channel certainly exists. We will lay claim to that haystack and spend our lives searching for the needle within. The rest is only a matter of probability and perseverance."

The summer of 19XX
    The records of Echera Samarn's life up to her sixteenth birthday have been acquired. She lived a seemingly regular life, separated from the other Samarns. Her older brother was heir to the family and her status was that of a spare with no responsibility.

For her sixteenth birthday, Echera went on a trip to Tokyo, Japan. The details of what happened during that month are unknown, but it is thought that she was involved in an incident that brought her in close proximity to Aozaki Touko and [REDACTED].

The person Echera contacted was an independent ESPer belonging to none of the established Japanese families, and unaware of the Association. What they spoke of is unknown, but can be inferred: the philosophy of the New Kind. The theoretical evolution of a humanity that has abandoned nature and the Earth itself.

One month later, [REDACTED] occurred.

Drawing Lots
    The base of the Samarn's magical theory is exploitation of the ESP Finite Probability Space.

The numerological formula used to calculate this space was created by the Samarn progenitor, an independent alchemist rumored to have been exiled from Atlas for adopting the ideals of a magus over the course of his time there. His formula utilized classified data regarding the properties of ESP channels and their occurrence, and was Sealed the moment its existence was revealed, as it threatened to [REDACTED, FOR THE EYES OF THE DIRECTOR ONLY]. The first and only product of said formula, the ESP Finite Probability Space, was inherited by the progenitor's daughter, who used it to establish a dynasty and a goal.

In layman's terms, the ESP Finite Probability Space is a mathematical proof that there are a finite amount of variations in the "channels" that might develop in human beings, as well as a record of the probability of each variation's appearance. These channels, being finite in number and largely non-reoccurring, can thus be accumulated and distributed. One of those channels, the Samarn magecraft claims, will provide the necessary path to the Root that they have sought for nearly a millennium.

Nearly one thousand years ago, a forbidden formula gave birth to a Sphere of Possibility. The Samarns have been dismantling it ever since.

Business
    Echera Samarn offers three services, to any and all that request them.

1. The adjustment of an Unfit Existence to normalcy. The most expensive purchase. Only a Lord's family could comfortably pay the inflated cost for the simplest procedure in Echera's book. Includes either the removal or alteration of an ESPer's ability to enable them to live and function as a human being.

2. The addition of an artificial Extrasensory Perception "channel" to a living being. The least costly procedure that she will perform. The Samarns keep the exact process a tightly-guarded secret, but it is known that it involves withdrawing the channel from the Sphere of Possibility and implanting it into a willing host. Most effective on children or the unborn, owing to their soul's plasticity and ability to accept radical changes. The received ability is seemingly random, but for an additional fee Echera will offer a higher probability of being given what was sought.

3. Calibration of existing Artificial ESPers. This service is never charged for. Echera will visit her patients bi-annually at the very least, and perform house calls even from the other side of the world. Artificial psychics are more stable than the natural kind, but require maintenance like Magical Crests. It can be surmised that Echera Samarn considers each recipient of her operation a precious child to be cared for. Or perhaps she wishes to ask her patients whether they have glimpsed that which she seeks.

Meeting 19XX-A
    The following is a transcript of the meeting between Echera Samarn and agent [REDACTED], who will henceforth be referred to as Quatre. The meeting occurred in the context of Quatre soliciting from Echera an implantation of an artificial ESP "channel" for personal reasons.

Echera: "There will be no anesthetic. I'll be operating on your mind, so it mustn't be put to sleep."

Quatre: "Will it hurt?"

Echera: "Do you recall when you first opened your eyes? It must've hurt then; all babies cry incessantly shortly after birth. Or perhaps the Magical Circuit metaphor would be better? You'll live, at least, and the pain will become bearable to the point where you will cry and scream like a newborn should that hair-thin fragment of the Sphere be removed from your brain. That much I guarantee."

Quatre: "Is that what it means to be a New Kind? A rebirth as something greater than human?"

Echera: "Heh. No, we aren't truly New Kind, you and I. My ability is implanted as well. But only the pickiest will begrudge a counterfeit for its origin if the function is the same as the original. You will be able to speak with the New Kind. To understand and walk among them, as I do. That's the best an Old Kind can hope for."

Quatre: "I'll confess, Doctor Samarn, with great trepidation, that I don't much subscribe to your theories of human evolution."

Echera: "That's perfectly alright. I won't begrudge a blind man for not understanding sight. Speaking of which... are you sure Leyline Perception is your wish? If you narrow the field, the probability of receiving an appropriate gift will rise to 78%. Conversely, if you broaden it and accept anything, the chance of being gifted with access to the Root will more than triple."

Quatre: "My family prefers not to gamble, Doctor. Triple of next-to-nothing is still next-to-nothing. Besides, if I were to get by sheer accident what the Samarn have been seeking for generations..."

Echera: "Your throat is safe. I'll never harm a fellow New Kind, even if they wrong me as you have. We are the future, after all. One day we'll put aside our differences and inherit humanity's mantle together. And... should another New Kind glimpse my prize, that's acceptable as well. I'll be able to achieve it through you."

Quatre: "As I have? Wait, Doctor-!"

Echera: "Your mind is awake, but your body sleeps. Come, agent of the Association. Your ticket to the New World awaits."

New Kind
    A discarded minor theory of evolution.

Humanity has surpassed the law of the survival of the fittest, or so it is claimed. Genes can no longer serve as a basis for the evolution of humanity, because they can be overcome by modern medicine and genetic engineering. Instead, our society evolves and takes our minds with it.

However, some theorize that we are instead on the verge of a next step. That the spontaneous occurrences of individuals with Extrasensory Perception are a symptom of humanity nearing its evolution towards becoming a New Kind, capable of heightened mental awareness and able to perceive the world in a way the Old Kind cannot.

The adherents of this theory are few, but they are determined.

"You can't understand," is a frequent saying among the so-called New Kind. "Not until you've touched another person's heart."

As for Echera's own ability, it is unknown. But, whatever it is, it certainly allows her to keep track of those she has operated on, because each time one of them dies, she is wracked with pain and bedridden for at least twenty four hours.

It is somewhat ironic, then, that most of those who are granted ESP through Echera Samarn's operation are later used as nothing more than disposable weapons in the petty battles of the Old Kind.

Last edited by Bloble; July 22nd, 2018 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Did that entry get deleted? We took a way different approach to the concept of "morphic resonance," so I thought it was fine.

I take up thy Mantle:

Virgilius Musagetes

Servant List

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't know why Sunny deleted her entry (assuming that's what happened). I thought it was very cool and not at all ripping off gyrowins' idea (even if the initial concept was similar).

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Beatrix Wojnicz
    “How wonderful would it be if I could paint the World with my color? Why would I want anything else? How could there be anything better? One day, one day, I’ll fill the World with my Azurite.”

Alias/Nickname/Title: The Azurite Demon
    Height/Weight: 156 cm, 47 kg
    Birthplace: Telšiai, Lithuania

Dislikes: Digital cameras, pencil stains, cod liver oil
    Natural Talents: Drawing, figuring out other people’s magecraft
    Natural Enemy: All other magi

Origin: Disdain (a mindset that acts without regard for good or evil, or the opinions of others)
    Elemental Alignment: Life

Circuit Quantity: E
    Circuit Quality: B
    Circuit Composition: Normal
    Biography
    When a cultured person hears or reads the name “Voynich”, naturally that mysterious manuscript comes to mind. The manuscript takes its name from one Wilfrid Voynich, who supposedly acquired it during a trip to Italy. This Wilfrid was born Michał Habdank-Wojnicz, a youngster from a noble Polish-Lithuanian noble family that got involved in an anti-Russian revolutionary movement, ended up jailed in Siberia, escaped, made his way to London, changed his name and eventually would become a famous dealer of rare books.

Beatrix belongs to the Wojnicz line Wilfrid left behind in blissful ignorance of his family’s magical tradition. They are associated with the Prague Association, but they have sent their current heiress to the Clock Tower for some reason. At first glance, that reason seems to be networking; creating connections—or at the very list, acquaintanceship—with other magi. At first it worked wonders: what everybody expected to be yet another haughty noble beauty turned out to be an agreeable, helpful young maiden; a lady carrying herself with the poise of a monarch and the attitude of a housemaid. Being a bit of a country-bumpkin, her innocent reaction at so many things endeared her to many people weak against such things. In the unending power plays of the Mage’s Association, she was quickly dismissed as nothing special, and allowed to partake of the Tower’s lectures and resources like every other young student of the Art.

This all changed when an overly-ambitious asshole took Beatrix’s innocence for naivete and aimed to kill her and claim her family’s Crest for whatever useful secrets he could find there.

That young man returned crying to his peers, howling in pain and bleeding out of every orifice in his body, claiming that he could not use magecraft anymore. Examination revealed that his magic circuits were wrecked beyond repair. His family’s crest, too, was so damaged to even consider salvaging it.

Generations of effort, torn apart in a single night.

Nobody knows what happened, but everybody knows Beatrix did something. There was no proof of her direct involvement, but she was not particularly shy about it, claiming that her assailant-to-be experienced something she calls “Azurite”. Those who would think of preemptively dealing with her are magi as well. There is nothing more terrifying that the possibility of losing the very foundation of their lives. Lacking understanding of what she does, how easy it is for her to do it, or how whatever she does can be prevented, nobody dares take the risk.

Aside from her origami familiars, she seems to be a completely average, maybe even below-average magus. Completely unassuming, placidly enjoying her life at the Clock Tower, while everybody else is wary, if not outright terrified. If her family’s plan was to brand the name Wojnicz in the minds of everybody in the Association, they have succeeded magnificently. What everybody fears the most, however, is that the revelation of Beatrix’s mysterious Azurite is merely Step One of a greater plan.
    Magecraft-Related Abilities
    Azurite
    Record of All Things Defying Record

Psychography
    , also known as automatic writing, is the paranormal ability to produce written words without consciously writing. What Beatrix Wojnicz does, however, is automatic drawing.

Beatrix does not have the “standard” psychic ability to consciously perceive the things that normally do not have a concrete, describable form—Azurite is not a form of Mystic Eyes. Instead, she unconsciously does perceive such things, and her hands then record them on paper.

Azurite is the power to unconsciously create a two-dimensional representation of the intangible.

Those who look at her sketchbooks only see either indecipherable rubbish or complicated geometrical arrangements that nobody would believe were drawn without tools. In those sketchbooks, Beatrix has given a form to invisible physical forces, emotions, social constructs and even the very boundary separating the tangible reality from the Reverse Side of the World. It must be clarified, however, that this is unconscious perception; just because she can draw such things does not mean she can understand them. Therefore, most of her drawings she just admires with idle curiosity before storing away, never to be seen again. Furthermore, she has no control over what she draws, although she hopes studying advanced forms of meditation and autohypnosis will lead to improvement in that regard.

On the other hand, those things she can understand, she can also manipulate through magecraft—exerting an effect upon something through an effigy of that something. And what she was instructed to understand from the moment her family discovered the nature of her power, were of course magecraft and magic circuits. If she becomes aware of a persistent magical effect like a bounded field, her ability can kick in and record it in drawing. After enough time watching a person, she might unconsciously draw that person’s magic circuitry, family crest included. And with the “map” of a person’s magecraft, just what could Beatrix Wojnicz do?

Beatrix has traveled to London to master spiritual surgery; to perform conceptual engineering procedures on a piece of paper that affect the metaphysical elements themselves. She wishes to freely, selfishly add her own colors to the designs of others. She is far from that level—if anything, the hardest part is keeping the powers and intentions secret—, but what she can already do is terrifying enough to other magi. After all, destruction has always been leagues easier than healing and creation. It is not hard to imagine what kind of plans the Wojnicz could conceive for Beatrix’s “circuit maps”. Whether they match Beatrix’s own plans is anyone’s guess, though.

On another note, it is worth noting that this magecraft only works on drawings made on flat surfaces made of organic material. Therefore, paper, parchment and skin work, but clay and stone do not. The name “Azurite” comes from the fact that the ground material was used as paint for drawings on medieval codices. Also, it is Beatrix’s favorite color.

Veliuonos Liga
    Paper Doll of Pseudo-Divinity

The Lie of Veliuona
    . Beatrix’s “public magecraft”, for which she is actually known at the Clock Tower, and the argument she used to join Eulyphis. It is at first glance the animation of origami animal figures, which is cause for some humor—a Lithuanian magus using a technique resembling the arts of the distant Orient—, but it is in fact yet another application of her psychic power, this time to the creation of familiars.

What is the soul? What is spirit? Beatrix does not know, but she can draw them. One of the “standard” methods to create familiars is by depositing the spiritual leftovers of a deceased into the body of a dead animal. Beatrix uses the very same paper in which she draws those leftovers, bending it into the shape of an animal, and then using magecraft to animate it as a familiar. Of course, she has not sealed the actual spiritual dregs into the paper, it is merely that her drawing is a sufficient reproduction of the original spiritual material. Therefore, Beatrix’s familiars are closer to puppets and golems.

There is nothing to prevent making a different entity (nature spirits, wraiths, demons) into the foundation reproduced into a drawing. Theoretically, there is also nothing impeding her from giving her familiars shapes other than animals—aside from her skills at working with paper. However, Beatrix is taking it easy, working hard at Eulyphis and enjoying her life in London before aiming for a more powerful paper familiar. Rumors that she already has a harem of paper men and women to attend to her insatiable Slavic libido are just that, rumors. Besides, paper is not very sturdy and it can’t handle liquids well; it just wouldn’t work, right?

Voynich Replica
    Azurite Album of Sovereign Truth

Beatrix’s mystic code: a perfect replica of the famous manuscript, albeit only in construction, not in content. Like the original, it measures 23.5 x 16.2 x 5 cm, with vellum pages collected in 18 quires, all of these in goat skin under tanned leather under an outer wooden cover, although it may be possible that the materials did not come from ordinary goats and calves. The details of its ritualistic construction are of course a family secret, but it was a considerable investment, to the point that it is not likely they could recreate it in less than ten years.

The purpose of the codex is for Beatrix to practice the recording of identity. By identity, Beatrix means “that which makes an individual unique and distinct from all others of the same species”. Developments in modern science might result in being able to one day perfectly discriminate the components in the genetic code that make an individual unique from birth. Beatrix is already confident her psychic ability is perfect. By perfecting the physical medium in which “identity” is recorded, as well as the magecraft applied upon the record afterwards, the Wojnicz family aims to develop the technique to perfectly manipulate the composition of life to the utmost detail. It is the kind of absolute arrogance that would crush the entire Mage’s Association beneath the Wojnicz’s heel should it come to fruition, or earn its unending ire should it become public knowledge.

At least that’s the plan. Naturally, it hasn’t worked.

Maybe the quality of the codex is still insufficient.

Maybe the gold on the tip of the quill pen is not pure enough, or maybe they should use something better than iron gall ink.

It is more likely that applying Alteration to the records will just not cut to achieve the level of specificity they are aiming for.

Or it could simply be that azurite just will not cut it for the paint in spite of Beatrix’s stubbornness.

Of course, even Beatrix understands that her family is being excessively ambitious, aiming for too much in a single generation only because she has a unique power. But Beatrix Wojnicz has never intended to do anything else but what she wants.

On a side note, Beatrix will eventually reveal to the Head of the Clock Tower’s Office of Genealogy that her Voynich Replica “contains a sliver of the truth of the original”. She hints at knowing the true purpose and meaning of the Voynich Manuscript, but she’s the kind of person who likes to tease like that.
    What She Only Sees
    “So, is it true, Sasha? That the Azurite Demon is your intern for a day?”

“For a place where mystery is all but worshipped, gossip travels awfully fast around here.”

Nobody would be able to tell they were underground. The hewn stone walls were completely concealed behind elaborate wooden walls. Converting a subterranean refuge into something resembling the interior of a Victorian mansion was, in the opinion of the young man, the epitome of pointless opulence. Thus, he hated himself for finding it comfortable and—dare he say it?—homely.

“Well, yes, that is indeed the case. She said she was interested, and who am I to say no to free help?”

“As usual, you are so stupidly reckless it makes me regret being acquainted with you.”

The young lady, Luviagelita Edelfelt, then laughed; not her usual high-class-lady laughter, but something more abrupt and bark-like. It reminded him of a hyena.

“Then again, a worthless magus like you will not lose much without your magic circuits.”

“You wound my fragile heart, my teasing hound, Luviagelita.”

Alexander von Schlüβelstein, the young head of the Clock Tower’s Office of Genealogy, placidly smiled while the elegant woman’s “ohohoho~” resounded in the underground passage. His position he inherited from his defunct father, who also inherited it from his father. As the duties of his office were unrelated to the pursue of the magical arts, his talent (or lack thereof) as a magus was of no relevance to his worthiness as an office head. Nonetheless, in the Association, magical prowess is prestige, and the current head of von Schlüβelstein had little of either.

Together they walked into the Office of Genealogy, the humble lair that was Alexander’s passion. Piles of books, scrolls, notebooks and folders stacked in irregular and dreadfully unstable towers all but buried all hints of walls and furniture in this haphazard room. While most director’s offices were rich in paraphernalia such as pieces of artwork or magical relics, Alexander’s office was a temple to paper.

“This place is an unsightly mess as always…”

Of course, Luvia’s attention quickly fell upon the person calmly seated on what she could only recognize as a sofa from previous experience.

Faceclaim
    Click here to toggle visibility of Pixiv image

“Ah, you’re back,” the seated woman, a few years younger than the two arrivals, jumped to her feet upon catching sight of the two. Her hand reflexively reached for the nearest pile of documents, wobbling ominously in reaction to her sudden motion.

“Sir, I have collated all the files from Estonia as you requested. They are on your desk.”

“Ooh, how efficient, Lady Wojnicz,” Alexander said with a lighthearted tone that brought a grimace to Luvia’s face. “Thank you, thank you~”

“My, please, just Beatrix.”

The smile on Beatrix Wojnicz’s face matched Alexander’s in lightheartedness.

“This is disgusting.”

Alexander laughed as his right hand combed his black hair.

“You’re speaking your feelings, Luviagelita.”

The Finnish beauty rolled her eyes. The head of von Schlüβelstein was her earliest acquaintance in the world of magecraft, and the alliance between their families a historical fact.

“So? What brings the lady Wojnicz to this hovel?” Luvia attacked as she made her way to sit on the edge of Alexander’s wide desk. The man in question had moved to a corner of the room, where a kitchenette starkly (and dangerously) contrasted with the rest of the scenery.

“I could ask the same of Miss Edelfelt,” calmly replied the Slav while settling back on the sofa. She turned her body to face the office head and took out a large sketchbook and a pencil. Moments later, she was already at work.

“Business,” said Luvia bluntly, and Alexander chuckled at that.

“It’s always business with you, Luviagelita. At least stay for coffee.”

“I refuse to drink that mud you call coffee.”

“My, now you’ve made me curious.”

In the end, Luvia ended up staying, mostly because Alexander would not give her the documents she wanted otherwise, but she also wanted to see the look on Beatrix’s face upon tasting Alexander’s eldritch brew. In the meantime, the younger magus did explain herself.

“Well, doesn’t either of you find it strange?” says Beatrix as her fingers dart across the sketchbook. “We join here to share resources and improve the quality of our research, but we do not share our results or achievements. We protect our ambitions and developments as our highest secrets, but we monitor everybody else and constantly keep careful checks on each other.”

She glances around the endless piles of books and folders.

“Our existences are draped in mystery, yet this very office aims to keep a record of every living and dead magus. Don’t you find that incredibly interesting?”

Luvia’s grimace deepened with every word. Even if she knew what she would find there, she still turned to look at her old acquaintance and, indeed, there was a big grin there.

“She’s a female you.”

“Isn’t it great?”

She wanted to gandr him.

“My, my.” It was the kind of expression and tone that would normally be accompanied by a hand on the cheek, but Beatrix’s hands were busy at work, drawing without pause or rest.

“In all honesty, when I came here I was hoping I could help organize this place a little, but I can’t really tell where anything goes.”

“Everything’s already in its proper place,” declared Alexander while keeping an eye on the boiling brew. “There is an order to the madness.”

He got odd looks from both women, and the experienced man wisely chose silence over pride.

“And, well, there is also that I think our families have things in common.”

Alexander nodded.

“I can see that.”

He received a disarming smile for those words, the likes of which a weak-minded guy could misunderstand for attraction.

Luvia, on the other hand, said nothing. She was one of the strong, so she did not insult them by trying to understand their feelings as the weak.

“And it is so interesting to meet someone here who knows about me and my family.”

To that the young man could only shrug.

“It is kind of my job to know that.”

Arranged marriages, apprenticeship contracts, adoptions of children from magus families, resolution of claims on treasures, estate, territories and Second Ownerships; such were the kind of matters in which Alexander’s office held sway.

There was a lot of silence from Luvia after that, while the German and the Lithuanian talked at length about the magus families in the latter’s homeland. If she weren’t aware that Beatrix was drawing, Luvia would have thought the younger girl was taking notes on her territorial rivals, or perhaps that was just Luvia projecting herself on the other girl. It’s what she would do, after all.

And it was precisely because she was not part of the conversation that she could notice.

The girl, Beatrix, never looked down at her drawing. Her sight was fixated on the man she was chatting with. Yet, her hand never stopped. Was she witnessing Beatrix Wojnicz’s ultimate talent? Or was she, perhaps…?

“Wojnicz. By any chance, are you drawing Sa—um, Alexander?”

Beatrix blinked in an awkward manner, as if taken completely off-guard. For the first time since Luvia started watching, the drawer looked down at her work, if only for a moment, before looking back at Luvia with her usual, placid smile.

“My, I wonder?”

It must be repeated: Luvia belonged among the strong. This does not refer solely to her prowess in magecraft. She was young, but she had dwelled among the murky shell games of magi from a very early age.

Beatrix Wojnicz was not good enough.

Luvia knew Alexander would not notice, because he liked to believe in the good will of others. It was an admirable trait, and it successfully charmed that insufferable (Luvia’s opinion) fiancée of his, but in the Clock Tower, it could be a liability.

Luviagelita Edelfelt knew better. So, she could tell the exact moment Beatrix’s honest friendliness and geniality was replaced with pretend cordiality.

Now, Alexander von Schlüβelstein was, in Luvia’s words, an overly positive idiot, but he could also read the cues from his oldest acquaintance well enough. And that was when his greatest attribute could come into play: Alexander is a very natural person, almost to a childlike degree.

“Really? I wanna see, I wanna see!”

Luviagelita sauntered far more casually while Alexander deftly walked through the self-made disaster that he called office to stand behind the sofa. Naturally, everybody in the room understood it would have been too suspicious to hide the drawing at this point. But it seemed Beatrix was not even paying attention to them.

So, they saw the drawing, and they frowned.

Spoiler:

“That’s…I’m not sure what that is, but that’s not me.”

Luvia had to agree. So, what was it? And why was Beatrix studying it so intently? What did she see in that drawing that they couldn’t?

“…a purpose-built connection…?”

It was fragment of a sentence, something that barely escaped Beatrix’s lips in her deep concentration, but it was enough to freeze the other two on the spot.

For a change, Alexander proved faster than Luviagelita, grabbing the wrist attached to the Nordic lady’s poised right hand. They exchanged equally alarmed looks on their faces, and Luvia’s dark intent clashed against Alexander’s urge for restraint. And perhaps it was the killing intent boiling behind her that brought Beatrix out of her concentration. Quickly noticing the other two people were outside her field of view, Beatrix alarmedly turned her head, and she was met by Alexander’s brimming curiosity and Luviagelita’s aristocratic sternness.

Beatrix’s own expression relaxed into that disarming smile of hers. Of course, by now everybody knew everybody else was also wearing a mask.

“My,” she murmured. “My, my. You are quite fascinating people, the two of you,” Beatrix declared as she put away her sketchbook and elegantly rose to a standing position. “Very interesting, yes.”

She offered her hand, which Alexander took and shook gently.

“If you ever need assistance putting this place in order, please do call me. I like this kind of work.”

“I’ll remember that. Just so you know, I can be quite the taskmaster,” replied the office head, adding a wink for good measure.

“My, I can imagine.”

Naturally, the two women did not shake hands.

“Let us meet over tea some other time, Miss Edelfelt. Or, mayhap, over proper coffee.”

“You pretend aristocrats are way too picky over nothing,” declared Alexander, who had already moved away to lean on his desk and enjoy his brew.

“You fail as a man for trying to serve sewage for coffee to a dame.”

Beatrix laughed with honest delight.

“My, Miss Edelfelt is rather harsh on her friends.”

“I demand from others no more no less than I demand from myself.”

“My.”

Luviagelita did not return the smile. It felt more honest, but she still felt she was being mocked in some way she could not quite catch.

“Very well, have a pleasant day.”

“Wait,” interrupted the one man in the room right as Beatrix broke through the doorframe. He was not looking at her, instead serving a second cup of coffee matching his own.

“That ‘Azurite’ of yours…it comes from the pigment, doesn’t it?”

Luvia stared at her own acquaintance as if she expected him to burst into flames at any moment. When Alexander finally looked up, challenging the young woman with a face projecting cool assurance, he found himself profoundly examined by clear blue eyes.

With a teasing smile, Beatrix brought a single index finger to her lips in a shushing gesture.

“It is poor manners to ask a lady’s magical secrets, von Schlüβelstein.”

Alexander conceded an apologetic grin which was utterly ignored. Beatrix departed, and the other woman watched her departing figure like a hawk. Once she was well away, Luviagelita all but pounced on the cup and gulped its hot contents in an instant.

“Puagh!” vocally complained the beautiful woman before inelegantly wiping her mouth with the back of her wrist.

“Luvia, what did just happen? Did she just figure out—”

“Don’t worry. Even if she somehow figured out the secret of your magecraft, I’ll take care of it. That’s my job.”

Hearing those words, Alexander brought out a key to unlock the one secure drawer in his desk. He handed Luvia a Manila envelope with the wax seal of his eight-hundred-years-old family.

“So? Did you figure out ‘Azurite’?” inquired the smirking woman. This was no longer a friendly conversation, and the expression on Luvia’s face was that of a huntress who has found prey.

“I did my part,” the smaller male replied, gesturing towards the envelope. “You’re the genius. You draw the conclusions. But are you really sure I’m a target?”

“Of course you are. Your office supposedly does not involve itself on the families’ magecraft, but everybody knows you don’t need to inquire overtly to figure out a secret or two. The Office of Genealogy is allowed to exist only because it is convenient.”

“Ouch.”

“If anything, you should feel flattered they’re taking you seriously as a threat. These Wojniczs fear you already know enough to figure out the secret of their magecraft, and that little stunt of yours just now all but validate them. If what we suspect is true, and that drawing of hers somehow showed her our trump card, then they’ll have every reason to target you.”

“Ow,” lamely complained the man when he was smacked on the head a few times with the envelope.

“Seriously, Sasha, you always fail when you try to be masculine. Stop trying.”

“Your affection is truly heartwarming, my merciless hound, Luviagelita.” He released a deep sigh, all but slumping on his seat.

“That’s right,” said Luvia with uncharacteristic cheer, as if his words were a form of praise.

“That’s how it is.” Her free hand patted the envelope like one would a thoroughbred.

“You are the keystone on which I’ll build my legacy in the Association, and I am the hound that bites the necks of your enemies. That’s how it’s always been, how our families have survived in this nest of vipers for generations.”

Alexander’s smirk could not get anywhere near close to matching the viciousness in Luvia’s. He was just not that kind of person. If anything, his exuded the warm affection of an old friend.

“Looks like it’s up to us to teach that little vixen how things are done in this Clock Tower, Sasha.”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    good good good a few hours left so get them in

Blog Entries
    Don't think there's enough entries to really be a contest this time around, honestly

I take up thy Mantle:

Virgilius Musagetes

Servant List