Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fate/RE:Iteration (F/SN)

Sakura is in the kitchen faster than I can get up, and with a flutter of her pink dress she sets tea placements for the five of us before sitting down at the third side of the table. Astolfo immediately crawls around the table to affectionately hug her shoulder. “Master, you came after all!”

Shinji’s hand-covered face meets the table as Sakura raises her eyes to the ceiling. Even without moving her mouth I can tell she’s asking what she did to deserve her Servant. Lancer, seated next to me, nods in newfound understanding.

“...Master, are you sure that we should be welcoming these people into our defenses?” Lancer says. “Their Servant does not seem particularly reliable.”

I can hear Shinji mutter something under his breath and Astolfo’s smile turns into a pout.

“Lancer, I’ve known Shinji and Sakura since we were children,” I say, shaking my head. Sakura breathes out the tension she’s been holding since she sat down. “At the very least I want to hear their reasons for participating in the war.”

“Thank you, senpai.” Sakura says. She hesitates for just a moment before leaping in. “Uncle Kariya is dying. We’ve tried everything--magecraft, modern medicine, even...” she stumbles and refuses to look me in eyes, “...other things. And they worked! He got better. Just… not for long.” She raises her head and her voice firms even as tears start to build. “He’s dying, and only a miracle can change that. And the Grail grants miracles.

She holds up her right hand so I can see the marking there.“When the seals appeared on my hand last week I knew what I needed to do. Shinji and I…” She trails off, shaking her head. “Uncle has a book that he salvaged from the old family home, about how the system works. I summoned Rider and here we are.”

I ask a question I already know the answer to. “Your uncle’s illness is the same thing that Kiritsugu had, isn’t it?” She nods.

The three of us grew up knowing Kariya and Kiritsugu were ill. The difference was that Kariya was fighting it while Kiritsugu accepted it and refused treatment, like wanted to die. They argued about it more than once. Even so, Kariya was in the final stage: excruciating pain, enough that he can neither sit nor stand, nor lie nor walk. For Kiritsugu it had been relatively quick. Kariya had been there for a year or more.

If I were in their position I wouldn’t hesitate either.

“I understand.” I say, after a few moments. “But… Why didn’t you tell me? You know I’d be willing to help you with something like this.”

Sakura’s expression is guilty.

Shinji breaks in. “She didn’t want to drag you into a family affair.” His tone is back to its usual smugness. “The Matou family is guaranteed a place in the Holy Grail War, according to that dead old man’s book.

“Besides, we only got the stuff together yesterday morning.” He shrugs. “Still, here you are involved anyway, and with Lancer as well. The Knight classes are supposed to be serious power hogs.”

“Shinji…” I sigh. Sometimes, it was hard to resist punching him in the face. Point in case, Lancer’s face was murderous. “I summoned Lancer after a psycho Servant in red tried to gouge my heart out with a sword. That he set on fire. He burned down my shed.” Both their faces pale, hers more than his.

“I’m not even sure why. Something about stealing from his Master,” I continue. “Lancer drove him off, but I still wouldn’t know anything about the Grail War if it weren’t for Tohsaka coming by to investigate with her Servant.”

Sakura jumps, Shinji slams his hands down on the table. “Man, Shirou, who’d you piss off?” He asks. He’s still keeping the usual cocky tone but there’s something else there. “I guess it’s up to us to keep you alive.” Astolfo sits up, almost looking serious, while Sakura sucks in a breath.

“...Thanks, I guess?” I manage.

Astolfo cheers, Sakura breathes out and gives me the warmest smile I’ve seen from her all year, and Shinji‘s smug grin slips into a look of abject relief for the briefest of moments. “Glad you’re smart enough to take help where you can get it,” he blusters.

Out of the corner of my eye see Lancer raise one blonde eyebrow. She doesn’t say anything, but I still understand that she’ll have words for me when we’re alone.

“Senpai…” Sakura starts, “Y-you said Tohsaka had a Servant, too?”

I nod.

“Yeah. Servant Saber.” Lancer nods confirmation. “The only thing I saw her do was search through my movies. Something about ‘camouflage’?”

“Indeed.” Lancer says, nodding sagely. “I do not know what she hoped to find, but she certainly seemed disappointed in her search.”

Sakura’s eyes crinkle in confusion. “T-that’s interesting…”

We all fall silent, just in time for everyone to hear Lancer say under her breath “...like looking into a whorish mirror”. What had been an awkward silence became a horrified one, with even Astolfo staring at her. Lancer flushes and continues out loud, “She had no shame whatsoever, whether with regards to her clothes or her speech.” None of us look away, and she tries to melt in her seat as much as her torso allows.

The silence stretches painfully. I cough and change the subject. “So, that Saber just… Appeared out of thin air. Can every Servant do that?”

“Yep!” Astolfo’s too cheery about that, obviously relieved to change the subject. “Every Servant. I stay like this because I like touching things and tasting things and showing off my clothes, so I asked permission to stay like this until Master really needs me to hide.”

My gaze swings to Lancer who fidgets uncomfortably. “I, uh.... Same. Touch. And taste. And clothes.” I look pointedly at her armor. Then back at her face. Lancer has the good grace to look embarrassed. She coughs into her hand and then downs her entire cup of tea to stop talking.

Meanwhile, Shinji’s massaging his forehead. “Rider, maybe you should stay invisible. You’ve been shouting your true name and helpful specifics about yourself since Sakura summoned you. The classes are named for a reason.”

“Eh, whatever.” Astolfo chirps. “We should pay attention to what’s really important: Lancer’s clothes! You can’t wear nice things without having nice things, and that armor is SO medieval. We can take care of that today, Master already said that someone needed to go shopping!”

Sakura breaks into a violent coughing fit at that statement, leaving Shinji to respond with deep frustration. “Rider, we talked about going food shopping since somebody raided the kitchen, then the pantry, and then three years worth of emergency supplies. In the first hour after they were summoned.” From there all attempts at serious conversation broke down into bickering and general buffoonery from Astolfo. After five minutes I gave up trying to restore order and instead poured Lancer another cup of tea and joined her in watching Shinji suffer.

Somehow, I found myself at a department store in Shinto with Astolfo and Sakura. Astolfo is cheerfully running around, diving into every rack and aisle that seems half-interesting, while Sakura stays next to me and seems to be nursing a headache of her own.

“Senpai… Remind me again why you agreed leave Lancer behind?” She asks, looking as Astolfo darts to another display.

I shrug. It’s not a big shrug, the weight of the items we’ve already selected weighs me down too much. Why did we go for the food first?

“Because Lancer didn’t seem as enthused, and I have the Command Seals if we really need her. Besides, you and Tohsaka both told me that no Servant or Master is stupid enough to fight during the day because of all the possible witnesses.”

A crash and a gruff “Hey!” grabs our attention. We look over to where Astolfo is on the ground looking sheepish in front of one of the tallest men I’ve ever seen. He’s almost the perfect biker gang stereotype. “Now, look here,” the man says, stooping over to pick up an incongruously flowery boutique bag.

Sakura and I share a look, and I take the lead to try and head off a confrontation. “I’m sorry about that, sir,” I say as I get near Astolfo. “My friend’s cousin is really excitable.”

The tall man is even more intimidating close up. His wild brown hair almost but-not-quite covers the scars on his face, and his jacket seems to be made of some sort kind of exotic leather. I can barely make out the eyes behind his sunglasses as they turn in my direction.

“Yeah, kid? She’s from out of town, then? Taking in the sights?” His voice turns calculating, head turning slightly to take in both me and Astolfo. “That’s swell but you should really be more careful.” The eyes behind the glasses lock into my own and I feel a thought start in the back of my head…

My heart throbs, and I blink and refocus my attention. Odd. I hear Sakura let out a little gasp from just behind me, but continue. “Oh, absolutely. We were just finishing up, and she wanted to check some other stores too. I’ll keep a better eye on her so it doesn’t happen again.” Astolfo pouts as I offer a hand up.

The man’s still looking right at me, still inscrutable. “Whatever you say, kid. Y’know, you’re lucky my client’s still around. I’m not interested in causing a ruckus for her.” He brushes past me and starts to walk away, pausing to say over his shoulder, “Be careful you three. You can never tell when you’ll meet someone who isn’t as nice as I am.” With that he hefts his bag and disappears toward the elevator.

And with him goes a cloud of tension that I never noticed building. Somehow I know… that man is dangerous.
    Last edited by Irksome Dude; August 20th, 2017 at 11:04 PM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... is that biker-looking guy at the end Shishigou by any chance (Mordred's Master from Apocrypha)? And wow, things have definitely diverged at this point with Kariya as the Matou family's parental figure rather then Zouken. I can only presume in this version of events Kariya managed to defeat Zouken and, if not actually win the Grail War, at least come out of it fairly intact.

Far longer than I would have liked for this to take. But hey, here's some fun.

Sakura seems to share the feeling. So does Astolfo, who’s looking serious for a change.

“Senpai, let’s get out of here. That man was probably a magus,” Sakura says.

Astolfo nods. “Yeah, the two of them were pretty intense.”

Two...? Sakura’s grimace proved I’d heard correctly. Fantastic. By unspoken agreement we headed deeper into the store, joining the pre-noon crowds.

Minutes later we find ourselves on the rooftop food court, seated at a table just far enough away from the rest for privacy. Astolfo’s devouring a crepe I somehow paid for.

“Rider,” Sakura says, in between Astolfo’s bites, “Two of them?”

“Uh huh. The Servant felt like a Saber or Berserker. Lots of hate there and lots of power too.” The Servant nods. “The master smelled like death. Definitely a magician, and not the cute kind like Logistilla or Melissa.”

“I don’t think it was Saber, that’s what Tohsaka’s Servant called herself. Unless… can there be more than one Servants in the same class?” This was maybe the third Saber I’d met. At least the master had been polite, or at least more concerned with his client than the war.

“No senpai, there is only one Servant per class. That man was almost certainly Berserker’s master.” Sakura tilts her head to one side, resting it on her closed hand. “It’s just… strange. Berserkers are supposed to be powerful but uncontrollable. Uncle planned to summon one last time, until he stole a different catalyst, but…”

Her expression goes distant, lost in memories and thoughts in a way I know better than to pick at. Just as I start thinking of ways to change the subject, Astolfo saved me the trouble.

“Oh, hey, Master, Shirou! Look at that cute girl!” Astolfo says, pointing towards the counter of the crepe shop.

I turn to look. There are two people there: a girl in a purple dress, age 10 or 12, pitching an absolute fit. The other looks closer to my age, probably her older sister, wearing shorts and a with a dull gaze. Both have white hair, and—

White hair. Red eyes. A laugh so innocent and full of life that it lit up the whole room.

I can only blink and shake my head in bemusement at the growing tantrum, turning back toward the table just in time to hear Sakura’s murmur. “Einzbern?”

I know that name. Distantly I hear Kiritsugu’s voice telling me about his wife’s family. A family that he’d betrayed. A family I should avoid and never seek out, for my own safety.

With that in mind, I stand up. “You two stay here. I’ll see what I can find out.” Astolfo and Sakura trade worried looks before meeting my eyes. “If she is an Einzbern, she’s probably a Master, right?”

“Yes. Senpai, are you sure about this?”

I make sure my smile is as carelessly heroic as possible “Please, when am I not careful?”

It takes me a few moments to approach the snow fairies, but what I hear when I get close is not what I expected. At the same time it’s exactly what I’d expected.

“- And so you should buy me another crepe, Liz!” The smaller girl pouts, crossing her arms and stomping her foot. “Sella would do it!”

“Mistress Illyasviel, our allotted funds have only a small margin for error. Buying even one more crepe means means being unable to purchase the other things on the list.” The older girl’s expression stays locked in boredom as she shoots down the younger girl.

“Are you two alright?” I ask, cutting in before the girl—Illyasviel—starts tantruming again. “I couldn’t help but notice the commotion..”

“Oh! You’ll do!” The girl perks up, and looks me in the eye. “Mister, would you go buy me another crepe? One with strawberries!”

Her eyes go soft and wide, and I’m overcome by sympathy and a willingness to help. And this time I recognized the little snow fairy is trying to hypnotize me. Definitely a magus, I think as I channel my prana to resist the spell.

The pleading expression doesn’t change and I realize with horror that I’m willing to do anything to make it better.

“I guess it can’t hurt.” I say. Sure enough, Illyasviel’s expression gives way to joy so transparent and I can almost hear her shouting ‘Yes!’ in her head.

The older one—Liz—looks me in the eye without expression before nodding over her mistress’s head. She at least seems to understand the real reason I’m doing this.

The cashier mutters something about “the fourth one” as I pay and pick up the three crepes I purchased. One each go to Illyasviel and Liz, the latter dropping her emotionless facade to give me look of surprise, as though she hadn’t expected me to buy her anything. The last crepe is a bribe for Sakura and Astolfo when I return, hopefully it’ll be enough that they’ll forget to tell Lancer what I’m doing.

“I didn’t get your name, miss…?”

“Illyasviel!” She says between bites, more focused on the dessert than on me. “Illyasviel von Einzbern! But you can call me, Ilya, mister!”

As suspected. I’ll need to double check Kiritsugu’s effects for anything he might have written about her, or to see if anything sparks my now years-old memories of what he’d told me. Either way, this was Kiritsugu’s flesh and blood.

My sister.

“Well, Ilya, my name is Shirou Emiya.” I say in the most friendly tone I can manage. “What are you in Fuyuki for?”

Ilya’s snacking stops and her expression goes from childlike innocence to plotting murder. “Emiya?” Her voice is cold and toneless. There’s a pressure coming off her like a physical force, setting my every instinct into fight or flight mode. I do neither, nodding instead.

She’s silent for a few moments, then sighs.

“My big brother told me that you were in this town.” She turns to her companion. “Come on, Leysritt, we’re leaving.”

“Yes, mistress Illyasviel.” The tall one says. I notice that her crepe is already gone, the only hint that it existed is a smudge of whipped cream on her mouth.

The two start to walk away, but Ilya pauses before they’re out of speaking range.

“Mister, don’t die before we can kill you.” Her voice is sweet, but not threatening. She’s making a promise. Somehow no one around seems to notice the threat that’s set my skin crawling. Then they’re gone.

That really could have gone better.

I head back to Sakura and Astolfo, handing the crepe to the Servant.

“Senpai....” Sakura starts. I don’t give her a chance to speak.

“She’s definitely a Master and she has a grudge against Kiritsugu, given her reaction to my family name,” I sigh. “I’d hoped he was mistaken about the Einzbern family, but...”

I let the thought hang, and the worry lines on Sakura’s face only deepen. Before she can start, I raise my hand, and continue.

“But what’s done is done. We’ve gotten what we came here for, haven’t we?” I ask, receiving a nod in return. “Then we should head on back home. Lancer and Shinji are waiting for us.”

Sakura agrees, but even I can tell we’ll be coming back to this conversation later.

WISE UP!

Servant Berserker (?)
    True Name: [UNKNOWN]
    Master: [UNKNOWN SCARY GUY]
    Alignment: Chaotic ???

Strength: D (?)
    Mana: E (?)
    Endurance: D (?)
    Luck: B (?)
    Agility: B (?)
    Noble Phantasm: B+

Class Skills:
    [UNKNOWN]- (B)/(N/A)
    Forsaken to enhance [SERVANT]’s Noble Phantasm.

Personal Skills:
    [UNKNOWN]
    [UNKNOWN]
    [UNKNOWN]
    [UNKNOWN]
    [UNKNOWN]

Noble Phantasms:
    [Unknown]- C (Anti-Self)
    A potent Noble Phantasm affecting Berserker(?). You can’t quite put your finger on what it does.

[UNKNOWN]
    [UNKNOWN]

The Servant belonging to the man you met at the department store. Highly dangerous, even if you don't know any details about them.

Master Sheet

Master: Shirou Emiya
    Servant: Lancer
    Circuit Quality: C+
    Circuit Quantity: 27

Skills/Traits:
    Bold And Relentless- A
    This skill marks the holder as one who pursues their ideals undeterred. Grants a bonus to all actions in service of that ideal. Functions as a Charisma skill in certain situations.

[UNKNOWN]- B
    Owing to ???, the user has a more efficient manner of Reinforcing his body for defense. Allows the user to resist attacks and magic when active.

Magecraft- D (A+)
    A heavily specialized form of Magecraft. While the user is capable of making use of Reinforcement and Structural magic to an advanced degree, he is overspecialized, and most other forms of magecraft are outside of his grasp.

Combat Training- C
    The results of years of hard work. The user has an understanding of combat, and is able to fight using weapons makeshift and intentional. Due to his teacher, the user has a tendency towards underhanded and surprising techniques.
    Last edited by Irksome Dude; August 20th, 2017 at 11:06 PM.

So that explains how Kariya managed to deal with Zouken AND live through the war without dying from just the mana strain of keeping a Berserker.
    ...And a swift assumption but hooo boy the interpersonal tensions are going to run deep this time.

Oh, yes. Things are going to go excessively fun in the next few pieces. How, you may ask? Well, wait and see.

Oh, look. More.

The Second Night- Sunday, 4/17

Lancer said she needed to get used to her new body, something about class containers and a sore back. I’d quickly agreed. Too quickly it turned out--she knew how to hold a grudge.

I briefly regret it as I collapse to the floor of my house’s dojo, my wooden sword clicking to the floor. Again. I feel each and every one of my bruises. Across from me Lancer stands holding a wooden sword. In her hands it’s at least as deadly as a steel one.

“Is this the best you can do Shirou?” She asks. Her expression is serene, level, and not at all reflective of her rage.

Why. Why did I trust Astolfo to stay quiet? I ask myself while standing back up, using my wooden sword as a crutch. “Not at all, Lancer. I’m still getting warmed up.” I manage to grunt. Despite the pain I don’t plan to back down.

Lancer knows it and settles into her ready stance. I have a brief moment to regret accepting her offer to train me. Then she attacks and it’s all I can do to block the overhead slash and it STILL nearly breaks my arms off.

We trade blows. Or: she hits me, I add to my collection of bruises and occasionally manage a swing of my own which inevitably misses. Despite the pain and humiliation, it really was good practice. I can’t use Reinforcement in my club, and none of the Matous have both the circuits and skills to help me train in Reinforced combat, making this the first time in years I’ve been able to really use my skills in a fight. I stretch my circuits further, strengthening the Reinforcement effect when agony rips through my mind.

The room spins around me and the last thing I see is Lancer’s face twisting as I stumble and fall to the floor.

When I come to I’m laying on my back, practice weapons against the wall and a cold towel on my forehead. By the sound of running feet, Lancer had called Taiga as well.

Taiga bursts into the dojo and tackles me. “Shirou!” Does she even know how to treat an injured person!? “Your friend Lancer said you collapsed while sparring!” Taiga’s hands are on my chest, ostensibly to check my heart, and she’s pushing hard enough to bruise. “Was it anemia? Or did you have that nightmare again?!”

I shake my head and get her hands off so I can sit up. “No Taiga,” I say, rubbing at my forehead. “I just pushed myself too hard. Lancer and I were just practicing.”

Over her shoulder I can see my Servant wearing a guilty expression on her face. Is she really blaming herself for this…?

“Uh huh.” Taiga isn’t convinced. “Shirou, I know you want to be strong…”

I know what she’s going to say. I dread it. I’ve heard the words often enough, every morning I wake drenched in sweat, every time Taiga visits while I’m screaming in my sleep. As always during these lectures, her expression is more mature than usual. She’s Taiga the teacher, not the foolish tiger. “You don’t have to put on a strong front, you’re a minor. Don’t hide your pain, and don’t hide that you’re in pain, get help. Me, Shinji, Sakura, we’re here for you Shirou.”

Her eyes are locked on to mine, searching for a sign that I don’t know how to give her. She sighs and looks down, her shoulders slumping. Taiga the teacher becomes just Taiga again. Guilt churns my stomach. “Even grown ups need help with the nightmares, you know? Like Mr. Kuzuki. He didn’t want to get help, didn’t want to talk about his dreams, even though we could all see how much he was hurting, and now he’s just... gone. And he’s not the only one. I don’t want to walk in here one morning and find you gone.”

The dojo is quiet for a few moments. None of us can look at each other, none of us want to break the silence. Finally, Taiga speaks, her voice trembling. “Shirou, please say something. Promise me you’ll…” She can’t finish.

I swallow the lump in my throat. “I… I know, Taiga. But this really was me pushing myself too hard. I’m sorry for worrying you.”

She looks me full in the eyes for a long moment and finally sighs. “All right, Shirou. But when you have your next nightmare, call me. I can recommend you a therapist. If you don’t want to spend the money, there’s a priest in town who listens to people about this stuff.” Taiga sees the way my lip twists and her lip quirks up, and a bit of animation comes back into her face. “I don’t mean a priest at the Ryuudo Temple, I know you’re friends with Issei and it might be awkward. It’s the head priest at the Kotomine church.”

Caren’s father? If he’s anything like her… I barely suppress my shudder, but nod and fake a smile. “I’ll... keep that in mind. But really, I’m fine, I haven’t had a nightmare in weeks and this was just training.”

And still she doesn’t believe me, instead turning to the third person in the room with a sigh and a bow. “Miss Lancer, please keep an eye on him while you’re staying here. He’s stubborn at the best of times and worse when you catch him like this.”

Lancer nods. “Of course. You have my word.” She’s looking at me the same way she does when there’s another Servant nearby, one part focused, one part concerned and one part, weirdly enough, motherly. She looks like she wants to take her spear to my dreams.

I hate it, and not just because she’s going to ask questions that I’d rather not answer.

It takes time, but Lancer and I manage to convince Taiga to go home and sleep in her own bed by reminding her that tomorrow is Monday.

We’re finishing dinner when Lancer broaches the topic. “Master… Shirou. Your caretaker said something about ‘nightmares’...?”

I wince and reluctantly nod.“Off and on. My father… I’m not an Emiya by blood. My father adopted me ten years ago, after he saved my life. I guess they go back to that.”

Lancer rubs at her chin. “These nightmares involve fire. Blood. Hundreds of deaths.” Her voice is tense. “And you are not spared. These dreams go back to that?”

Accurate. Too accurate. Something must have shown on my face because she nods.

“I thought as much.” She says with a sigh. “Masters and Servants are bonded such that sometimes memories pass from one to the other in the form of dreams. My dream last night… well, some parts of it might have been my own, but the rest was assuredly not. What happened in the last Holy Grail War?”

“Honestly… I don’t know. Kiritsugu didn’t talk about the past, and I don’t have any memories from before he saved my life. I was just… there. Unable to move. Helpless. Dying. He saved me, he and the person searching with him, and he was so happy that he saved me.” I absently rub the marks on my hand. “And then he took me in and raised me as his son. He was my hero, and he is the reason I want to be a hero of justice: to save others the way he saved me.”

“...A worthy goal.” Lancer offers after a few moments of silence, an odd expression on her face. “I’ve oft heard said that a child’s duty is to live up to the dreams of their father.” Shaking away whatever feelings that brought to mind, she changes the subject.

“I didn’t understand until Taiga mentioned the nightmares, but there’s a curse on this town, isn’t there? I felt it in your dream. A darkness, a malus, and when I woke up it was still there. I’ve felt it all day. Shirou, something terrible happened to this town ten years ago, in the last Holy Grail War.”

“Yeah. Almost everyone who lives here would know what you’re talking about.” I confirm. “As I understand, it’s worse in Shinto than Miyama Town, but everyone has the nightmares.” Lancer’s expression darkens. “Ten years ago…” My voice trails off.

“Hundreds of deaths? Try thousands. Everyone knows someone who died. A lot of the survivors have scars--physical scars. My friend Issei... Well. The government calls it a terrorist attack. The media changes its story every few months. The internet… don’t ask.

“Those of us who live here? We just call it ‘Nightmare Night’.”

“Shirou…”

I laugh hollowly. “Outside the nightmares, I think I got lucky. I don’t have any scars, and I don’t remember who I lost.” The room is silent for a long moment before I abruptly stand up.

“You’re right, it was definitely the last Holy Grail War. It doesn’t matter what happened last time, I won’t let it happen again.” I extend my hand to Lancer. “Will you help me stop this war before it goes that far?”

“Of course.” She stands up as well, grasping my hand across the table with determination burning in her eyes. “Your cause is noble and just. You have my oath, as a knight and as a king, to protect this land and those living in it.”

“Lancer… Thank you.” I manage. “We’ll win this war, and I’ll get you your wish.”

We talk for another half an hour before finally getting to bed. Lancer has agreed to take the room next to mine, and when I see her last she seems deep in thought.

Regardless, a night of rest should be good enough. Despite this war, I should go about my normal life best I can, shouldn’t I?

The Second Day- Monday, 4/18

My alarm goes off, and I rub my eyes, sitting up in my futon.

I stretch best I can, my body somehow feeling lighter than usual, and dress quickly, before heading to my shed to practice my magecraft.

...Which, I now remember, burnt to the ground two nights ago thanks to the red… the male 'Saber'. With it went my workshop and all my projects…

Observing the scorch marks on my estate’s wall I can only shake my head. I’ll have to find time to replace everything before too long.

Instead I head to the kitchen while taking stock of my ingredients. Going by yesterday’s discussion, Sakura is staying home from school this week as part of her war plans. This means I only need to make enough for two people, and Lancer. A glance at the clock reminds me that Taiga will make an appearance in half an hour, so I set about preparing breakfast.

Soon enough, my Servant and my teacher are devouring the food I left on the table while I eat my own portion in the kitchen, the better for my stomach and considering plans.

I probably should head to school, at least—three Masters attend my high school, perhaps there are others? Illyasviel and the terrifying man make five, leaving two unaccounted for.

And this might be the time formally introduce myself to Tohsaka as a magus. She’s supposed to take care of Fuyuki, she might know more about the previous Holy Grail War. At worst, she might not have drawn the conclusions Lancer and myself did, and should be informed.

A door closing pulls me out of my thoughts, and I glance back to the table to see Taiga, and all the food, absent. Lancer remains looking satisfied with the meal.

Perfect.

“Lancer, I need to go to school today,” I say while clearing away the dishes.

She nods absently, sipping at her tea. “To discuss things with the Master we spared, the night you summoned me? Ah yes, she is the steward of these lands. A wise move.”

Great, we’re on the same page. I nod as I clear away a second load of dishes.

“That’s right. And, since you can’t turn astral, need you to stay here while I’m out. If there’s any trouble I’ll use a Command Seal to summon you.”

“Whatever you say, Shirou,” she agrees absently, and I hear a gentle sip from behind me. Then the mother of all spittakes. “Wait, WHAT?!
    Last edited by Irksome Dude; August 20th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Damn, sounds like something even worse then the Great Fuyuki Fire happened in this timeline...

It boggles me how one can post so fast, with such long chapter, with such quality. GJ!

Just some quick formatting/typo edits. Cleaning up some double spacings that I didn't even notice, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Damn, sounds like something even worse then the Great Fuyuki Fire happened in this timeline...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Nightmares and RE are making me thing about Tatari....

Quote Originally Posted by Asunder View Post
    Nightmares and RE are making me thing about Tatari....
    I only have one thing to say about that.

“No Master would be stupid enough to pick a fight during the day” is my mantra. I hold up the successful trip with Astolfo as proof. It still takes me longer than expected to secure her agreement, and Lancer isn’t happy even after she agrees to remain home.

Minutes later, my bag over my shoulder, I’m heading towards the school building with a nod to the two students conducting inspections by the gate.

“Oh, Shirou!” I turn around, seeing Issei Ryuudou jogging up to me, looking a little out of breath. “Do you think you’ll have some time today? Julian told me a few heaters were having issues, and, well…”

“Sure. I’ll be happy to see what I can do to fix them.” I reply automatically. “In the council room, right?”

“They’re actually in a spare classroom. 3-E, specifically.” He says, relief clear on his face. “I’m sorry to spring this on you so early in the week.”

“Not a problem. I’m happy to help anyone, Issei.” I wave off his concern, pushing the unspoken ‘That’s what heroes do, after all…’ to the back of my mind.

The morning proceeds as normal—Caren, however, is oddly absent. Is this how she’s going to get me to visit her father’s church?—and since none of my kendo clubmates like to hang out on days the club doesn’t meet, I make it to lunch without incident. Just as I’m getting stretched out on the roof, Shinji makes his appearance. He’s grumbling about something or other while he sets down two lunchboxes I recognize.

“...Shinji, I thought Sakura was staying home today,” I say slowly, looking at his meals. “Or is that-”

“For me, yep!” Astolfo materializes, grabbing the topmost one to Shinji’s dismay. “Master said I’m supposed to play the role of his Servant, since he’s probably going to do something dumb!”

“Yeah, right! I’m only doing this because Sakura doesn't have the spine!” The outburst is, sadly, typical for Shinji when someone calls his abilities into question. “Anyway, if I had the circuits, I’d be your master instead!”

I tune them out, choosing instead to eat and look over the schoolyard. From here, I can see the students grouping up in their cliques and claiming their usual eating places. Two students in particular catch my eye—a brunette girl and a dark haired boy eating together, sometimes speaking quietly. I feel a pang of emotion that I suppress and tear my eyes away with a shake of my head. Turning back to the argument I find they’ve moved on to interesting things.

“And that’s why that red guy last night wasn’t Roland!” Astolfo finishes, nodding as Shinji rubs his forehead.

Wait, what?

“Look Rider: he called himself Roland. This dumb book said his name was Roland. He called out ‘Durandal’ as his Noble Phantasm, and this dumb book agrees that it was Durandal!” Shinji is waving a thin journal at ‘his’ Servant, exasperation clear in his voice.

“But he wasn’t! He fought like Roland and was as tall as Roland, but the only part of him that screamed ‘I’m Roland’ was his mouth! My instincts are never wrong. Whoever he is, he’s a cheat and bad news.” The Servant pouts, clearly upset about the fight. “He’s fooled other people into thinking he’s my boon companion! How despicable!”

“Shinji, Astolfo might be on to something. Did he have a hood up?” They nod and I sigh, thinking back to two nights ago. Red man, screaming a hero’s name, not acting very heroic.... Yes, that sounded like the Servant who tried to kill me. “It’s probably the guy I told you about. Did you see a Noble Phantasm called ‘Standard of Black’ in that book?”

Astolfo cheers victoriously as Shinji pauses, sputters, and flips through his notebook.

“Shit. So that was the same asshole that tried to off you!” His expression twists, and I can see the gears turning in his head. “I thought he was after you, so why the hell did he come after Rider and me? We weren’t even in your neighborhood!”

“Probably seemed like easy targets, Matou.” The door to the roof slams open as Rin Tohsaka invites herself to our meeting. “Really Emiya, I thought you had standards. I’m surprised you allied with someone so unreliable.”

Her mocking words have Shinji sputtering in rage, while Astolfo snickers.

“He’s a friend, Tohsaka, and I don’t want to see him get killed.” I say, shrugging. “Was there something you wanted to talk about, or is it your turn to murder Shinji’s pride?”

“Saber and I fought Berserker last night. He’s a monster, and I don’t know if we could take him out alone,” she admits with an almost admirable candidness. “How do you feel about helping me deal with him? You can bring Matou and his Servant if you want.”

Past her shoulder I can see a distortion in the air. Her Servant clearly, but in astral form it should be completely invisible. I can almost see the torso twisting and vibrating, but the the place where the head should be is almost locked in place. Suddenly the figure blurs and the red (female) Saber materializes mid lunge. I can see the strangest expression on her face as she goes past me.

“Umu! Praetor, we MUST keep this one!” She says, seizing Rider. “Even in all my empire I never saw a seen a more scrumptious male!”

There’s a brief bit of silence before Shinji’s ego suddenly reinflates.

“Why thank you. I’m glad someone appreciates the raw handsomeness of the Matou’s trueborn heir for a change.” He says, running a hand through his hair. “What do you say about becoming my Servant, so we can—”

“Umu, not you, buffoon.” His ego pops faster than the smile on Rin’s face blooms, but I’m distracted thinking about what she just said.

“This Rider here is delicious! Perhaps we should test your Riding skill, hm?” The shameless Saber continues, and I can tell that Astolfo is preening under her praise. And grip.

“Well, miss, it’s A plus rank, but I certainly can-”

The rest of the conversation is lost to me as the truth comes to me.

Astolfo’s a dude. Cute, feminine MALE Astolfo.

Male.

What.

Rin waving a hand in front of my face pulls me back to reality, while the two Servants keep talking.

“But yes, Emiya. An alliance, at least until we eliminate the Berserker from last night,” she offers, and I manage to nod in response.

“I can agree to that. What was he like?” I push my crass thoughts to the back of my mind. Anyone summoned by that death-reeking biker-looking man will not be an easy challenge.

“Well…” Her expression turns sour, and she shakes her head. “He mostly wore black armor, but physically wasn’t that imposing. He was almost as tall as you, actually.

“Weird thing is that he could talk. Usually Berserkers can’t. He claimed his Master knows me, and knew I attend this school.” Rin’s face betrays nothing, but her tone is as irritated as can be. “Geez. First you turn out to be a magus and a Master, and now it turns out there’s a fourth master here. Just how many Fuyuki magi are hiding under my nose?”

I shift uncomfortably. “...Tohsaka. Yesterday I met someone else with a Servant.” Her attention focuses on me, and I continue. “Rider says it felt like Berserker or a Saber. But the guy was way too old to be a student here, so if he’s the master of Berserker…” I trail off, not sure where to continue.

Rin and I consider this, and for a few moments the only sounds on the rooftop come from the two Servants flirting outrageously. Shinji lies catatonic in a pool of his own melted self-worth.

“...A parent then,” Rin says, but her tone of voice suggests she has doubts. “There’s something else that bothers me. The Servant mentioned a ‘nemesis’, and I think he meant someone who lives in this era. The only explanation that comes to mind is a Servant from the last war, but even an Archer couldn’t survive long without the Grail. And besides, the last war didn’t have a Berserker.”

So she does know about the last war. Then this should be easier. Ha.

“The last war…” I start, watching her face twist as she realizes where this is going, “Ten years ago, something went wrong, didn’t it?”

“The last Holy Grail War was an abomination.” Rin says it quietly but with absolute confidence. Flirting as they are, the Servants pay no mind, but Shinji’s head comes up.

“...It was an abomination, and even that’s too nice a word for it. My father was a Master, and...” Tohsaka pauses, unsure of how to continue. “He died.”

“Praetor…” says Saber, stepping aside from Astolfo. Somehow, even the fool realized how grim the tone is, and he’s gone quiet.

“Don’t misunderstand. After what… happened, it was a kindness. Emiya, are you saying that you think something like that could happen again?”

I nod, unable to say anything else.

“It won’t. I won’t allow it.” Her tone is firm and filled with conviction. There’s… something there that she leaves unsaid, but I’m hardly volunteering my life’s story. I stand up and offering her a handshake.

“Then let’s take down that Berserker, and keep this Holy Grail War from hurting anyone. With all of us working together, we can do it for sure,” I say with all the conviction I can muster. I see Tohsaka’s confidence surge, and even Shinji taking a serious expression. And honestly? I feel pretty good myself.

We spend the rest strategizing. The first step is gathering information on the “Black Berserker”. Not the best name, but none of us suggested anything better.

The plan comes together quickly: Shinji will ask his circle of friends if they knew any students who had been acting odd lately, or had applied for a leave from school. Rin would deploy her familiars around the school and near where she had fought, searching for traces of a Servant’s prana.

And I would be… kicking my heels. Unfortunately, until I could get in touch with other members of the kendo club I was useless. Once I did though, I could use what Shinji called my “aloof expert upperclassman aura” to order my underclassmen to do anything, like canvas the neighborhood for weirdness.

Which means that, for the rest of the day, I was essentially useless. Classes went by quickly, Shinji flirting off and on with the usual girls he talks with between lessons.

Eventually, I find myself sitting in classroom 3-E, working on the heaters after inspecting them using structural grasping magic to find the damage. Fortunately, most of these just seem to have frayed power cables, though one does have a damaged heating component. I’ll have to talk to Issei or Julian about getting a replacement for that…

“We need to talk about --” The door slides open with a click, and a cool female voice halts mid sentence.

Turning my head, I see-a

Her. Ayaka Sayjou, the third ‘Queen of Homurahara’, who Shinji and Ayako had once kept trying to set me up with, having become allies for that singular goal. At least until Sakura said something to them.

She was as obviously surprised to see me as I to see her, judging from how wide her sparkling blue eyes had become, and she quickly bows.

“Oh. Apologies, Emiya. I seem to have come to the wrong classroom.”

The door slams shut suddenly, and I hear footsteps beating away as fast as another set of steps near.
    Last edited by Irksome Dude; August 29th, 2017 at 12:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ayaka, hmm? I can only wonder whether you'll be hewing closer to her Prototype or Strange Fake incarnation...

Also, the new information we got on False!Saber's NP was certainly tantalizing. It seems rather then disguising him as El Cid per-se, it just disguises him as the hero closest to the Servant he's currently fighting. Which clearly means that Lancer is both from Spanish history/legend and probably knew El Cid in life. Certainly goes a fair ways toward narrowing down her identity.

I just wonder what would happen if he was seen by multiple Servants simultaneously, or a Master with no Servants around at all. Things are definitely getting interesting!

Hmm, kendo and not archery? And some other subtle details, at this rate I'm going to have to keep a list running for my personal predictions' sake.

Some edits for cleanliness and stuff.

Ayaka, hmm? I can only wonder whether you'll be hewing closer to her Prototype or Strange Fake incarnation...
    That's... A secret. At the least, for a bit longer.

Also, the new information we got on False!Saber's NP was certainly tantalizing. It seems rather then disguising him as El Cid per-se, it just disguises him as the hero closest to the Servant he's currently fighting. Which clearly means that Lancer is both from Spanish history/legend and probably knew El Cid in life. Certainly goes a fair ways toward narrowing down her identity.

I just wonder what would happen if he was seen by multiple Servants simultaneously, or a Master with no Servants around at all. Things are definitely getting interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Hmm, kendo and not archery? And some other subtle details, at this rate I'm going to have to keep a list running for my personal predictions' sake.
    A few things have gone different in this, yeah. Shirou did participate in archery, but he felt more drawn to the way of the sword this time around.

For the rest of the small details...

Time flies, sadly.

But so do weapons.

This time when the door rattles open it’s Rin Tohsaka, looking around worriedly.

“Emiya. One of my familiars picked up traces of several Servants, then died. Did you see anyone come by here?”

The room is silent for a few moments as I consider.

If I answer, then… Tohsaka will pursue Ayaka, and probably attack her, regardless of her being a Master or not, and-

I can’t let that happen. Just thinking it makes my decision for me.

“No one, Tohsaka.” I shake my head. “I’ve been working on the heaters since after class. Issei and Julian stopped by a few minutes ago and that’s it.”

Tohsaka nods, though her expression is still troubled. “I… see. There is at least one Servant here, however. I need to track it down before someone gets hurt.”

“Absolutely.” I say, setting aside my tools and standing up, perhaps too quickly. “I’ve just about finished up here. I’ll help look too.”

“Glad to hear,” Tohsaka acknowledges. “I’ll go talk with Issei and Ainsworth.” She starts to turn as she steps back into the hallway but pauses. “Thank you. And… be careful”

With that, she’s off, footsteps heading off to the distance, and probably to scare the two student council members. I’m doing the right thing. I know it. I think, shaking my head and reorganizing my tools.

That done, I brush off my pants give the at the repaired heaters a glance. Someone will come for them later. This takes priority. Less than a minute later I’m out of the school’s gates. I leave my schoolbag behind. Shinto Town is not a short walk, so I make it a short jog.The sunset is mesmerizing but I’m not looking at it.

I have to find her, before…

According to Shinji’s dubious sources, she lives in this one creepy apartment complex in Kurokizaka. The uniform skirt that I’ve followed for the last three blocks flaps around a corner, headed in that direction.

I follow slowly, absently noticing how her winding route takes us through a cross-section of storefronts, blind alleys, and indoor malls. Eventually we reach an L-shaped apartment block. Something about the place made me think of the rare days at home where neither Sakura nor Taiga end up visiting. Or an old hospital. The nameplate, after I fill in the missing characters, reads “Semina Apartments”.

Weird. The same name as the one from that urban legend.

I shake my head and take a look around. I’m here for a reason, not to be distracted by ghost stories. I try the door; it’s unlocked and more than unlocked, and although it hurts my craftsman’s soul I leave damaged latch unfixed as I step into the empty corridor. The elevators aren’t working so I take the stairs, pausing to listen as I come to the landings.

I hear breathing by the third floor. I find her on the fourth. It’s clearly been converted into a magus’s workshop--several walls are open, turning what should be a corridor into large room interspersed by pillars. Ayaka’s waiting for me.

It’s a scene from a story. She’s leaning against an open window frame looking out, and there’s enough of a breeze to tussle her hair and tease my nose with the smell of her shampoo. The light is more orange than anything, and the way the late after shadows play on her face… well.

I’m too afraid to break the moment that I don’t move. Even so I can feel my heart start beating faster.

Finally she sighs and closes the window. She’s still looking away from me when she speaks.

"Archer."

The air ripples and a boy appears. He’s blond, no more than 12 if my guess is right.

"Yes, beauteous one?" He asks, then deigns to look at me. "Pardon me. It seems I must remove a rival."

Before I can speak, move, or breathe I’m in a fight for my life.

Not against the Servant, no.

Against his collection.

Swords beyond compare. Spears beyond imagination. Axes, shields, hammers, arrows, knives. Each one a priceless work of art.

Mere bullets to this boy Archer.

I get lucky--he’s not paying attention so a desperate lunge to the side takes me out of the path of death. The stairs and doorway are shredded. I roll to my feet just in time to see a shimmer behind Archer and a new salvo of weaponry appear, all pointed at me. I’ll die if a single one of them hits.

No. Not here. Not today. My Command Seal glows a bright red, and with knowing beyond knowing I speak the words that will save my life.

Archer fires the salvo that will end my life.

"Lancer, hear my call! Help me!"

The space before me ripples, and with a flash of blue Lancer is here. She catches the lead weapon, a heavy hafted war axe, in one hand and moves. The noise is impossibly loud, but when my eyes catch up to reality it’s to see Lancer toss the broken axe aside to join its brothers in fading. She summons her spear.

"Oh-ho!" Archer says, raising an eyebrow. "A rival of a different stripe, is it? I much prefer this to squashing a mere stalker! Master, I shall best this wench and her wretch for you!"

“Shirou. We will have words about this when we are done.” Lancer says to me in a tone not far off from irritation, another flash of blue light leaving her clad in full armor, hand clenched around an invisible weapon. “For now, I shall defeat the enemy that stands in our way.” I nod and we face our opponents together.

"Focus on the Servant, Archer." Ayaka commands. She pulls a handful of black feathers from… somewhere. "I'll make sure Emiya stays out of the way."

"Yes, my lady! Who am I to deny Beauty her request?" The golden Archer seems ecstatic. "Come, Lancer! For my lady’s desires I shall slay you!"

The clash between Archer and Lancer is easily the most beautiful sight I’ve seen.

With a wave of his hand, Archer summons countless weapons that appear with a golden flash. Each ones is a treasure in its own right, and even the whining keen they make as they scream towards my Servant shows their true value.

Lancer, in turn, does not attack or defend, so much as she moves. The nearly invisible spear is a golden line that curves and flows without pause, even as it shatters the priceless artifacts one by one, and then two by two as Archer increases his rate of fire.

“I’m impressed! For a woman looking like that thrice damned goddess, you certainly know how to wield your weapon!” The boy laughs, another wave of majestic blades beginning to erupt from the space behind him. “But come! Let us duel like the heroes we are!”

“Tch. Very well!” My Servant grits her teeth, launching herself towards the Archer and into a wave of weapons once more.

Just watching them is enough to bring tears to my eyes. I wish I could stand and watch the unstoppable forces they represent clash forever.

And yet my eyes turn to the young woman standing off to the side of the golden Archer. Even she is affected by the battle, but her eyes are locked on me, and feathers waiting in her clenched fist.

I see a tear fall from her eye, and I think I finally understand for the first time the feelings pounding in my chest.

This woman… This person is...

The thought comes unbidden. I see her expression show the same conclusion I’ve just come to.
    This person is an eyesore.

WISE UP!

Servant Archer

True Name: [UNKNOWN]
    Master: Ayaka Sajyou
    Alignment: Chaotic Good

Strength: C
    Mana: C
    Endurance: C
    Luck: A-
    Agility: C
    Noble Phantasm: EX

Class Skills:

Independent Action- (A)
    Magic Resistance- (E)

Personal Skills:
    Golden Rule- (A)
    Charisma- (A+)
    Divinity- (A+)

Noble Phantasms:

[Unknown]- B+ Anti Unit (Self)
    A mysterious way of summoning countless items. Dangerous beyond compare. Just how many weapons does this boy have in stock?

[Unknown]- ??? Anti-Divine
    [Unknown]- EX Anti-Unit

The young Archer summoned by Ayaka. Possesses wisdom beyond his years, and power unlike anything you’ve ever felt. Perhaps the strongest Servant summoned in this Holy Grail War, especially since the strength you feel seems like an immature glimmer of his full potential...
    Last edited by Irksome Dude; September 17th, 2017 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ko-Gil summoned instead of the regular one, huh? Interesting. Also Shirou seems to treat Ayaka as a friend but she has no qualms with her Servant trying to kill him on the spot, so I wonder what the backstory is between those two. Don't think I missed that Ainsworth mention either, though I can't imagine the implications of them existing in this timeline...

Ko-Gil summoned of the regular one, huh? Interesting.
    Whoever said that was Kogil? It could be any number of other blond boys with infinite weaponry.

Not.

There's a joke there. You'll just have to wait for the punchline.

Also Shirou seems to treat Ayaka as a friend but she has no qualms with her Servant trying to kill him on the spot, so I wonder what the backstory is between those two.
    Would you believe their only direct interactions are a direct result of Shinji and Ayako seeing potential chemistry?

Don't think I missed that Ainsworth mention either, though I can't imagine the implications of them existing in this timeline...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irksome Dude View Post
    Whoever said that was Kogil? It could be any number of other blond boys with infinite weaponry.

Not.
    The only other person I could see having access to some version of Gil's treasury is Ur-Nammu, and I highly doubt you're going with him. Not to mention all the Skills fit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Irksome Dude View Post
    Would you believe their only direct interactions are a direct result of Shinji and Ayako seeing potential chemistry?
    Chemistry with each other, or in the sense that Shinji is trying to ship them together?

Just added a bit at editorial suggestion, and cleaned up some formatting issues. Nothing to see here.

The only other person I could see having access to some version of Gil's treasury is Ur-Nammu, and I highly doubt you're going with him. Not to mention all the Skills fit as well.
    The only reason it's not saying he's Gilgamesh in the stats is because Shirou doesn't know.

Chemistry with each other, or in the sense that Shinji is trying to ship them together?
    See above.