Page 15 of 367 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617202565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Create-A-Servant Contest

US Friend Code
    The definition of a phantom in that case seems loose enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    How the fuck is MacBeth less qualified than Henry Jekyll?
    Much more important, Christine but not the Phantom?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakuro View Post
    Makes sense. Phantom's famous enough to be a heroic spirit, Christine isn't, so she's a phantom.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So why are the Shakespeare characters Phantoms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

I think that kind of goes hand in hand with being an "author HS". Will isn't famous for being a warrior or a politician, he's famous for creating characters one can't really distinguish as fake.
    But then again Dumas and Dantes are both true-blue Servants...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    p sure king lear, macbeth, and romeo and juliet aren't phantoms
    i don't think they're referred to as such
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Looking back, I think You is right. I kind of assumed they were phantoms since it was Shinjuku, but Romeo and Juliet are referred to as a "literature illusion", so I'd assume the same goes for King Lear and Macbeth. So unless that's another name for or a type of phantom...
    Last edited by zikari8; October 3rd, 2017 at 12:08 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Alexcoene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakuro View Post
    When you're talking about the Phantom of the Opera, who do you think of first?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Well, that doesn't help. So far, the Phantoms have very few in common.

Lobo is real, the rest are apparently all fictional
    The Detectives, Christine and the Invisible Man are all literary; Der Freischütz, Hessian and Doppelgänger are folklore/legends.

Can't even claim they're all not-famous. Hessian, Invisible Man, Christine and probably quite a few of the detectives are well-known.

To hell with Thomas Edison kami-en's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    that definition for phantom still feels a bit incomplete, and it overlaps too much with wraiths and apparitions, drawing the line between them is rather hard...
    i wasn't going to participate because of that, but the urban legend thingy kinda got me hooked, and i think i already have two ideas i can work with, well, that if we really end with phantoms for a prompt

Blog Entries
    So, are we going to go with You's prompt?

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Can't even claim they're all not-famous. Hessian, Invisible Man, Christine and probably quite a few of the detectives are well-known.
    We've had people way less famous than these phantoms show up as established heroic spirits. I'd be lying if I told you I met a single person in my life who knew of Helena Blavatsky. So I wouldn't say that's the sole defining characteristic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kami-en View Post
    that definition for phantom still feels a bit incomplete, and it overlaps too much with wraiths and apparitions, drawing the line between them is rather hard...
    i wasn't going to participate because of that, but the urban legend thingy kinda got me hooked, and i think i already have two ideas i can work with, well, that if we really end with phantoms for a prompt
    I think that Phantoms are separate legends and HS(s) made into one Servant, whereas Wraiths are one legend consisted of different HS(s) made into one Servant.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyFour34 View Post
    So, are we going to go with You's prompt?
    That's what I'm working on

Ok. So the three days are up. You’s Prompt, “Phantoms”, is what we’re going with.

However, there seems to be a degree of confusion as to what actually defines a Phantom instead of a Wraith or a true Heroic Spirit. I remember, during the last Magus prompt, someone (You I’m pretty sure) compiled a collection of quotes about that month’s subject, Curses. I think the creation of something similar here would probably be helpful for clarification.

Unfortunately, I really don’t have the time right now, so if someone else could do it that would be fantastic. Otherwise, I suppose I can try and do it myself some time over the next few days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinjuku ch.3 by Taiboo
    Archer:
    The very sound of it trembles your soul, does it not? That is fear.
    It is an extremely special Servant, it seems…
    Most Servants do not come into being only with fiction. They are real existences with their foundations in myths and legends. To manifest only by fiction, a fitting reason must be present.
    Yes, for example--- a concept, a dream, that crystallized into being as a picture book that protects children. That kind of Servant has also come to you, haven’t they?
    Guda:
    She’s spinning around energetically.
    Archer:
    Is that so, I would like to meet her too, as she is such an interesting concept.
    Master-kun. The enemy we are about to fight is born from fiction but has no reason to come into being.
    In other words, it is not a Heroic Spirit. And because it is not a Heroic Spirit, it is not a Servant.
    At least, it should originally have been so.
    Its Saint Graph values unmistakably show it to be fiction, a concept that is at the level of an urban myth, at the most. It is neither a hero or anti-hero, an existence that has naught but to erode and fade away.
    We call it, a “phantom”.
    Quote Originally Posted by fallacies View Post
    霊基数値が満たない虚構、
    A fabrication too inadequate in inflection to constitute a Saint Graph;
    精々が都市伝説程度の概念。
    a concept that at most reaches the strength of an Urban Legend.
    英霊にも反英霊にもなれぬ、
    That which can become neither a Heroic Spirit nor an Anti-Hero;
    朽ちてきえるだけの存在。
    an existence destined only for decay.
    我らはそれを「幻霊」と呼ぶ。
    We refer to such beings as 「Phantoms」.
    Quote Originally Posted by fallacies View Post
    c) Da Vinci states again that Phantoms are souls whose Saint Graphs are of insufficient inflection to be exalted as Heroic Spirits, and are unlikely to be established as Servants. Holmes states that they are indeed weak, to such an extent that if they somehow manage to be summoned, they would be inferior in their attributes to the majority of Casters based on famous writers. Furthermore, if summoned, they would be incapable of manifesting flesh, and be as incorporeal spirits, incapable of interfering with the world regardless of how much prana they have access to.

Despite all of this, Phantoms are capable of accessing the Noble Phantasms associated with them, as Noble Phantasms are Mysteries in and of themselves. If manifested by a Phantom, a Noble Phantasm is in general significantly diminished in its expression, but the underlying Concept inherent isn't subject to change. Ergo, Der Freischutz is nothing but a fictitious character within the Nasuverse, but his Noble Phantasm would possess the qualities specified in its legend.

If Phantoms are permitted somehow to merge with a Heroic Spirit, their Noble Phantasms would be boosted in strength -- potentially to the extent that an asteroid like 101955 Bennu would be controllable. Fortunately, under normal circumstances, neither Phantoms nor Heroic Spirits are capable of merging with one another ...

... except that, in Shinjuku, Alliance Moriarty somehow found a way to do this.

All I have, hope it helps. If anyone finds anything else, feel free to include.

Quote Originally Posted by zikari8 View Post
    All I have, hope it helps. If anyone finds anything else, feel free to include.
    <3

Also, unrelated but worth noting: because of the late start, we will be ending Oct. 28th instead of Oct. 25th. Voting period will end at the same time though.
    Last edited by 4score7years; October 4th, 2017 at 08:59 AM.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I'm probably going to redo an old sheet again. The question being, who's not famous, misteryous and and recent enough.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kami-en View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel as well.

If I can think of a good urban legend angle then I'll send something in.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a Hessian Lobo style Phantom/Phantom combo in mind, so I'll see if I've got enough inspiration to write it up.