Page 13 of 367 FirstFirst ... 381112131415182363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Create-A-Servant Contest

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Tyrfing win very much so deserved.
    tbh i don't think any other sheet in that contest came close.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Mmm. And posted right at the eleventh hour as well. Quite literally in this case, iirc.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    I think yours came pretty close honestly (in fact I voted your entry higher then Tyrfing), though obviously it wouldn't be your place to say.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I think yours came pretty close honestly (in fact I voted your entry higher then Tyrfing), though obviously it wouldn't be your place to say.
    I honestly thought Tyrfing was the best.
    I wouldn't have voted at all if I thought mine was the best.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

Blog Entries
    Yaaay! Congratulations! ^^

It was a bit of a landslide, but a very well-deserved one that really reflects the time that must have been spent on the sheet(s). Tyrfing drips with the amount of time and effort invested. It was a big shock and really stuck in everyone's heads. I think both first and second place were among the most illustrative/narrative, whether it was the little narrative baits and allusions in Tyrfing's sheet or the poetic comparisons in Bryn's.

By contrast, I'd say mine was a pretty cursory sheet, as I tend to write them in one sitting - which is a flaw, if I'm being honest, and both of mine were probably the worse for it. But there were a lot of fun new sheets here so I'm glad so many people entered the contest. ^^ Makes me look forward to the next one.

Signature by fumato

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tyrfing was by leaps and bounds the best offering, but I wouldn't have given it any points.

It effectively forced us to compare the added value of five profiles as a single submission, versus the value of individual ones. I cannot consider that fair to the other contestants, and it is the main reason I did not give any judgment: I considered the contest to be flawed in this regard.

Blog Entries
    oh, so it's over

i wonder what the next contest will be

Quote Originally Posted by Gally View Post
    oh, so it's over

i wonder what the next contest will be
    I was going to write a humorous and light-hearted joking response to this, but I was too tired to think of a joke, even a bad one

I think that means I should hit the lights, G'night people

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post
    Tyrfing was by leaps and bounds the best offering, but I wouldn't have given it any points.

It effectively forced us to compare the added value of five profiles as a single submission, versus the value of individual ones. I cannot consider that fair to the other contestants, and it is the main reason I did not give any judgment: I considered the contest to be flawed in this regard.
    Interesting. I never even thought of that, but you do have a point. I'm not sure if I would call it "unfair" exactly, but it was essentially an excuse to squeeze in five entries at the cost of one. It's unlikely that this would come up very often (because of the sheer amount of effort involved), but if it did it might be worth including some kind of "one Servant sheet per submission" rule just to make things fair to the rest of us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 View Post
    I was going to write a humorous and light-hearted joking response to this,
    pls dont, i have only handle so much cringe per day

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And apparently only so much diction as well. Do yourself a favor and rest, Gally.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries

Not going to lie, aside from the very minor involvement I had with Left discussing Tyrfing before it was written, this was also partly why I didn't vote for it. I don't know that it's specifically a problem, since the point of these contests is to encourage creativity and the core aspect of Tyrfing, and the final sheet about the sword itself, certainly oozed that creativity, but crushing the conpetition under the weight of four relatively mundane (though perfectly solidly-written) HS before getting to the M Night Shamalamadingdong tweeeest at the end might be considered iffy by some? I honestly felt it was too wordy for my tastes, but I knew what was coming so my perception might be distorted.

The power of pummelling people with gigantic walls of text which I've mentioned to Vag has been demonstrated numerous times in fanfic contests, but obviously if those entries didn't tell a compelling story through their volume - in other words, their length being necessary to fully develop the authors' ideas - they would've just been very long drivel. Similarly I didn't intend to stuff five sheets in one package to wow people with size and apparent effort: the four characters preceding the last are the necessary setup to develop and present the core concept of the sheet and their intended value pertains to how they work towards that idea much more than their individual characteristics. While I tried to make them substantial as stand-alone characters to support the narrative element as sheet, curse, and pseudo-story advanced, if their subordinate role as mechanisms of "Saber" isn't tenable and they seem as four dudes and a sword instead of a unified concept then I've failed in what I wanted to do.

Still, that brings up the point that it called for people to judge it more like a fanfic than a sheet, to which, sure, I agree. I think that sheets actualised through some kind of narrative is the best way to present them (or like Daneel's series, the best way to write fanfics without all the hassle), the wordiness is entirely my fault in carrying over writing style, and that's overall a more agreeable attribution of effort.

I suppose that's probably fair. Since it was the first round, I wanted to keep the rules and prompt open-ended to ease people into it without stifling creativity, and with the assumption that more rules could be added as time went on.

I would say that that succeeded, and now that everyone is successfully eased in, going forward I think it's a fair rule that only one sheet can be submitted per submission, unless of course the prompt specifically allows them (for instance if the prompt is "Dual Servants", you can submit those, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    The power of pummelling people with gigantic walls of text which I've mentioned to Vag has been demonstrated numerous times in fanfic contests, but obviously if those entries didn't tell a compelling story through their volume - in other words, their length being necessary to fully develop the authors' ideas - they would've just been very long drivel. Similarly I didn't intend to stuff five sheets in one package to wow people with size and apparent effort: the four characters preceding the last are the necessary setup to develop and present the core concept of the sheet and their intended value pertains to how they work towards that idea much more than their individual characteristics. While I tried to make them substantial as stand-alone characters to support the narrative element as sheet, curse, and pseudo-story advanced, if their subordinate role as mechanisms of "Saber" isn't tenable and they seem as four dudes and a sword instead of a unified concept then I've failed in what I wanted to do.

Still, that brings up the point that it called for people to judge it more like a fanfic than a sheet, to which, sure, I agree. I think that sheets actualised through some kind of narrative is the best way to present them (or like Daneel's series, the best way to write fanfics without all the hassle), the wordiness is entirely my fault in carrying over writing style, and that's overall a more agreeable attribution of effort.
    I understand where you're coming from, here, as well. If you'd just made five random dudes and stuck them together, you wouldn't have won. There is an element of complementing the sheets, blending them together and telling a story through the various sheets, and you definitely did succeed, for me. I mean, that's why I gave you three points.

But, well, it's tricky. You made great use of the extra "giant walls of text", but that's space that some people didn't even have to work with for their sheet. A sheet like our third place winner shows that you don't need a million words to make a solid sheet, but it does help give it a bit of "clout" that stands out against some of the others. Of course, that clout is derived from your own effort in writing all that, and again if you hadn't utilized the different characters so successfully you might now have won, but still.

Hm. How about this, instead. Rather than a hard and fast "Y/N" concerning this, we'll add that as one of the things the winner can decide. When they send me their prompt, they can also specify whether or not multiple character sheets and Dual Servants are allowed for the next month. That way, everyone will have a better sense of the playing field. It might also add just a touch of variety, which is nice.

That''s what I'm thinking as a compromise of sorts. Any further opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gally View Post
    pls dont, i have only handle so much cringe per day
    yeah probably for the best. I'm never quite funny, but I become progressively less so as the day goes on
    Last edited by 4score7years; August 13th, 2017 at 08:25 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Not going to lie, aside from the very minor involvement I had with Left discussing Tyrfing before it was written, this was also partly why I didn't vote for it. I don't know that it's specifically a problem, since the point of these contests is to encourage creativity and the core aspect of Tyrfing, and the final sheet about the sword itself, certainly oozed that creativity, but crushing the conpetition under the weight of four relatively mundane (though perfectly solidly-written) HS before getting to the M Night Shamalamadingdong tweeeest at the end might be considered iffy by some? I honestly felt it was too wordy for my tastes, but I knew what was coming so my perception might be distorted.
    yeah i just read the sword sheet and voted for it,
    didn't really look at the rest

My votes were mostly based, besides quality of writing, on how well they took the character and did something both creative yet true to their "real" version. Mehmed ended up making the list for me primarily because I thought his NP and "function" as a servant felt very appropriate to who he was, like if he were to show up as a servant in some story or other that's something I could picture him doing.

Like 87 said I don't think the sheer volume of a sheet should weigh against it so long as it has that authentic sort of effort and quality put in.

Now that it's been a month since last contest, how about another one?

If @87 the host or @Leftovers the previous winner could start us off?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    This and the CaM contests alternate, the other contest is on with the 'Curse' category while this one starts again in October.

The next Create-a-Servant contest will be beginning shortly.

I don’t actually have the prompt yet, though.
    Last edited by 4score7years; October 1st, 2017 at 09:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 View Post
    The next Create-a-Servant contest will be beginning shortly.

I don’t actually have the prompt yet, though.
    If you don't get a prompt anytime soon it might be best just to go on a Class by Class basis. Would be easier to write sheets that way anyways.