Page 55 of 367 FirstFirst ... 5455053545556576065105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 7324

Thread: Monthly Create-A-Servant Contest

FABRICATED HISTORICAL CRISIS SYNDROME gyrowins's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post

Gyrowins's Dr. Robert Liston

Character:
    The sheet doesn't really tell much about his character besides his achievement and obsession toward saving people because he found it challenging. I don't really understand why he sees the surrounding into some freaky flesh world. I know it because ME and 'challenge' but why it does that doesn't really explained and translated very well (for me). It is interesting and cool concept, but it lack the presentation.

Skill and NP:
    His Skills are very straight forward considering his status as a scalpel Berserker doctor. I don't really find the justification of getting an NP because someone give it to you on a whim in the Throne of Heroes. NP is supposed to be a crystalized deeds, the most famous thing a person had done in their life, something associated with them or what shapes them into the famous person they are. IMHO as a guy with a lot of achievement, I belief he can get a proper NP, considering he got an entire quote about his fantastical scalpel technique which I think you can easily make the same NP effect without resorting on this.

Invisible Air is bad, imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    1 point: Robert Liston. As I said before; awesomely grotesque concept, badass personality and Skills and a variation of Mad Enhancement that manages to be both benign and tremendously messed up. My only critique is that his NP is a little lackluster. Personally, I would've given him the three scalpel move as a "technique" NP like Tsubame Gaeshi or No Second Strike, but I can understand the approach you went with.
    Both Tsubame Gaeshi and Mumyou Sandanzuki are treated as skills in everything but F/GO. These two are the closest phenomena to Liston Style: Instant Immaculate Incision in canon which is why I went down the same route. Even No Second Strike is described as "not a real noble phantasm." This is the same reason why he doesn't have an NP. Like Okita Souji and Sasaki Kojirou, his technique, the most famous thing about him, isn't allowed to be an NP (again, in everything except for F/GO). As a rather charismatic fellow (and someone as crazy as Florence Nightingale), I saw it justified for him to get a handout allowing him to at least have a fighting chance.

Anyway onto the voting.

3 pts. Ada Lovelace. I've been wracking my mind for ages trying to make a good Ada and you come around and make a perfect one for this contest. Goddamn the Singularity "patron" works great for her and for Foreigners in general.

2 pts. Belle Guiness Delightfully creepy. "Plausible Deniability" is an excellent skill and you really managed to sell the Myling-connection there

1 pt. Wong Fei-Hung This guy got any movies about him? Both his story and sheet are compelling.

Hear me now, O heart of the World:
    Light of Man, Dawn of Life
    Reaching Antiquity, Seizing the Future
    I call upon the stories of heroes long forgotten
    With this hand I will make thee whole.
    Hear me now, God of Prophecy,
    I take up thy Mantle:

Virgilius Musagetes
    Chorus of the Incarnate Dawn

Servant List

• 3 points: Alexander Graham Bell - incredibly detailed while still not being a pain to read through. The quotes before the description of Skill and Noble Phantasms were a nice touch. That FC is awesome and the Bond CE, which I usually disregard, turned out to be quite heartwarming. There's not much to say other than "it's great": you took someone famous and crafted him in such a way that it wasn't boring or obvious.

• 2 points: Camille Saint-Saëns - I was undecided between this and Belle Gunness, but the latter's Skills inspired by his music were admirable. His Noble Phantasm is nothing special and "suitably weak" for a Servant that is neither well-known or powerful. Nothing in particular stood out personality-wise, but some of his relationships were amusing to read.

• 1 point: Belle Gunness - ultimately, I chose Camille over Belle simply because the former was more detailed when it came to personality and relationships with other Servants, something that I usually look for since it gives the character a more solid identity. Of course, the addendum is what made this sheet great along with the "Plausible Deniability" Skill. The FC is probably the one which most impressed me in this monthly contest.

Honorary Mentions:

• Dr. Robert Liston: it pains me that I didn't vote for this, but I had to make a choice. It's one of my favourites and would have replaced either Camille or Belle, but it ended up as a matter of preferences. The Skills were great, especially Liston style. I also really (and I have to emphasize it) liked the Noble Phantasm and Bond CE - I usually don't really care for the latter, but Graham Bell and Liston had interesting ones, so kudos for that.

• Matou Shinji/Count Manfred: it did a great job for a "joke" sheet that was still remarkably serious and interesting. I had a good time reading it and chuckled while reading Sakura's diary. Like with Robert Liston, it basically was a matter of preferences. To clarify though, I don't think any less of this sheet for being "jokey" since it's one of my favourites.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrowins View Post
    Wong Fei-Hung This guy got any movies about him? Both his story and sheet are compelling.
    There's like, a million movies about him. But my favourite would be the "Once Upon a time in China" series starring a much younger Jet-Li.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    There's like, a million movies about him. But my favourite would be the "Once Upon a time in China" series starring a much younger Jet-Li.
    I actually surprised they chose Li instead of Wong Fei Hung when the first time playing Extra. Most of the movie about Chinese martial artist imported here is Wong Fei Hung's.

Tranquilo, Japones, Tranquilo JetKinen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I actually surprised they chose Li instead of Wong Fei Hung when the first time playing Extra. Most of the movie about Chinese martial artist imported here is Wong Fei Hung's.
    Li Shuwen is featured heavily in Kenji, an old popular manga.That's why only Japan gives a shit about Bajiquan.I mean it started with Kenji but then Virtua Fighter came and the main character fought with Bajiquan and that continue to escale in such a way that the Tetsuzanko is the default "kung-fu" move in japanese media

Fate Grand/Order ID: 102947414/GreenBob
    JetKinen's tries very poorly to translate a brazilian book

Alright, I'm going to give my impressions of all the sheets in this competition in order! It's still unfinished, but I'll get the rest tomorrow!

Criteria
    Obviously an exceedingly subjective endeavor, the following is a list of factors I consider when reading these sheets roughly in the order of importance.

History: This refers to the mythical or historical facts of the particular character and how well they are used in the development of the sheet. Basically, if the various Skills and Noble Phantasms feel inspired and appropriate, it's real good!

There is a caveat though: If I lack knowledge on that particular servant, I will take the sheet as face value, as most of the works cite the particular inspirations of their source characters.

Narrative Potential: If a sheet gives me the urge to write or read about them, it's a winner. However, this instance is focused on a Grail War settings along the lines of Stay Night, Zero and Apocrypha, so many of the more comedic servants lose points by being incompatible with the style of fiction I prefer.

Basically, a servant would need to have an engaging personality that would offer

Theming: If a servant is a character that serves some purpose in the fiction, a tight and cohesive set of themes is almost required. Basically, if a servant's core conceit can be easily summarized in a paragraph but can be thoroughly explored in a story surrounding them, they gain mad points.

Novelty: Unfortunately human beings are hardwired to appreciate new and shiny things, so new, weird, outlandish or clever sheets get some points simply for being different.

Nasuverse Nonsense: This one is a wildcard. "Nasuverse Nonsense" simply refers to whatever BS the author comes up with to spice their creation with. Personally, this can make or break a sheet; something too over the top can ruin the believability of a servant or do disservice to their origin, but properly enhanced concepts can be used to tighten themes and flesh-out otherwise lackluster characters. Generally, I appreciate whatever addition adds to a servant's character. Abilities and somesuch are often pointless to me.

Mechanics: The nitty-gritty specs and abilities of a servant. I don't usually pay much mind to statistics, as their value in creating fiction is often negligible, so this factor mostly comes to play when the skills and statistics seem grossly out-of-whack. However, Class Skills, Personal Skills and Noble Phantasms play an integral part in the Theming and Narrative Potential factors!

So, let's get started! I try to give some personal opinions that are at least somewhat interesting, based on the criteria above. I am compelled to say that each and every one of these sheets have been a joy to read, and I'd gladly give a vote to every single one if I could... but rules are rules!

Caster: Pedro II by Jetkinen
    The one thing this servant does for me is make me interested in the relatively recent Brazilian history. I have no doubt they'd be an interesting heroic spirit in a Brazilian Holy Grail War, but my lacking knowledge of the country and the basic characterization has him stand out less when compared to the others.

As an aside: Did Pedro II really have bags of dirt like the one as his Noble Phantasm? 'Cause if he did, that's actually amazing!

Assassin: Georg Brandes by IRUN
    I could see him working as a character in a Holy Grail War, but not as a protagonist. His philosophy would have some interesting dynamics with the usually strong-willed and idealistic Heroic Spirits.

The Mystic Eyes kind of strain my Nasuverse Nonsense-allowance, but the Noble Phantasm is cool as heck! Very apropos of the nihilistic mindset that denies the meaning of existence, whereas the Throne of Heroes is basically a collection of "deified" people elevated by people's need for "meaning".

Berserker: Robert Liston by gyrowins
    Definitely an interesting historical character with on-point mechanics, but the short background leaves me a bit cold inspiration-wise. The nature of the Mad Enhancement is neat but doesn't give much to create a story around. This one might have benefited from some Nasuverse Nonsense to make something completely absurd around his legend of "Surgery with a 300% mortality rate."

Rider: Captain Nemo by Skull
    Unfortunate victim of my personal criteria :P

Much like with Pedro II, Nemo is a compelling character but lacks that special something for me. And unfortunately the Atlantian tech goes way over my Nasuverse Nonsense allowance as it is, even as the "Technology too dangerous to use" would make for an interesting dynamic in a Holy Grail War ("Piece of Magecraft too dangerous to use").

Basically, this sheet could make some great fanfiction, but I probably couldn't write it and I probably wouldn't read one simply by having him in it.

Caster: Harriet Houdini by RoydGolden
    Aesthetically: Mastahpeece!
    Narratively: Too funny! I want my Grail War fiction to be full of depression and guts and mental trauma!

Also, did the joke fly over my head, or is it intended that while she wishes for humanity to achieve their goals with their own hands, her wish of the Holy Grail is the abolishment of magecraft?

Berserker: Sir Richard Owen by pinetree
    While I adore the idea of a dinosaur Grail War, I can't see him as more than a side character. That being said, I'd relish reading a piece of fiction with him conjuring dinosaurs as mooks for the protagonists/antagonists! So for what it's worth, this one is a great secondary character; you don't need as many deep themes if you have mad aesthetics!

Rider: Arthur Wellesley by Shiki-pon
    If I rated these sheets purely on the basis of "How well they would embody the role of a Heroic Spirit?", Lord Wellington would win, hands down. It would be an unfair battle, though, being the most high-profile character with tons of written history and being the victor of a real-life RPG villain. His larger than life personality only cements this further.

However, the additions of so many quirky and novel sheets with unexplored concepts leave this as a technical winner but not a creative one!

Archer: John Henry “Doc” Holiday by Saron
    Not going to lie: I kind of love it.

Kariya was one of my favorite characters in Zero thanks to all the damn suffering he went through and still failing so miserably when in any other series he would've been the main character. That being said, I still need to invoke my particular Narrative Potential rule which gives penalties to too cheery or funny character concepts!

Sorry, Kariya! I love youuu!

Caster: Alexander Graham Bell by 34
    Now we get to one of my personal favorites! Bell is much like Babbage, but in my opinion more interesting take on similar concepts. Where Babbage had the cool but uninspired suit of power armor and a reality marble to represent... steam computers? Bell takes the concept of Instantaneous Communication and runs with it to the logical extreme with all minds being linked together! Now that's how you elevate the science in a way that's both intriguing and horrifying!

As we live in the information age, this sort of ability and Heroic Spirit feels more relevant than ever: Information from social media accounts leaked, your internet behavior being analyzed and sold to the highest bidder, the social media addiction and fame-seekers of the myriad creative platforms... It's all based in telecommunication.

The point I'm laboriously trying to get to is that this sheet would make an extremely interesting character in a piece of fiction! The personality and abilities both seem to scream the melancholy tone of Nasu's works, and the themes he possesses could be used to explore all sorts of questions while wrestling for the omnipotent wish-granting cup.

Additionally, the sheet is filled with flavorful touches that contribute greatly in evoking the character in your mind, flair which I should make more liberal use myself.

... Rest will come soon!
    Last edited by Lumikoi; June 22nd, 2018 at 04:19 PM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumikoi View Post
    Caster: Harriet Houdini by RoydGolden
    Aesthetically: Mastahpeece!
    Narratively: Too funny! I want my Grail War fiction to be full of depression and guts and mental trauma!

Also, did the joke fly over my head, or is it intended that while she wishes for humanity to achieve their goals with their own hands, her wish of the Holy Grail is the abolishment of magecraft?
    Yeah, it's intentional. She's well aware of the hypocrisy, but values her wish enough that she's willing to look past her scruples to fulfill it. I considered making a note of that in the sheet itself, but I thought it was fairly obvious.

Tranquilo, Japones, Tranquilo JetKinen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The one thing this servant does for me is make me interested in the relatively recent Brazilian history. I have no doubt they'd be an interesting heroic spirit in a Brazilian Holy Grail War, but my lacking knowledge of the country and the basic characterization has him stand out less when compared to the others.

As an aside: Did Pedro II really have bags of dirt like the one as his Noble Phantasm? 'Cause if he did, that's actually amazing!
    He in fact did, or so the monarchists say.
    The more patriotic version, the one that i used, says that he had a bag with soil from every part of the country. The more normal one was that the bag had a fistful of sand of the Copacabana beach, the beach from the city where he lived which he took while being transported into his exile.

Fate Grand/Order ID: 102947414/GreenBob
    JetKinen's tries very poorly to translate a brazilian book

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    pinetree's Crystal Palace Berserker
    NP:
    At first, I falsely thought this NP as Dinosaurs Heteroi. But, on further inspection, summoning them is just the the surface of it. The idea that he continues to perfecting them is a narrative goldmine just like my newly favorite Servant, Avicebron.

But there is something that somehow I find lacking, perhaps because he already established as ignorant and petty, but he actually can listen to people if he tries hard enough. Since you already go out of your way to cement that he can listen to the truth eventually with enough evidence and his Single-Mindedness, so, it mostly just my personal taste.
    Thank you so much for all the praises and the vote!
    Yeah, I was worried the NP would be taken as generic army summoning, glad I was able to bring the focus elsewhere.
    And regarding him listening, I reread my description of the NP and I believe I could have described the process better, using the word convincing is what gave you the wrong impression I think.
    He would never actually admit his ideas were wrong and current paleontology is correct, rather he would claim, and actually believe, that he just acquired some new information and perfected his own vision. The credit for everything in his new research is his, of course.

I don't know if he actually had the bag of dirt, but I think JetKinen's inspiration came from one of Dom Pedro's poems: Earth from Brazil/Land of Brazil.
    Rough translation of the verse in which he mentions it.

Lost is all my hope
    To return to Brazil; from there came to me
    a handful of earth; and in this I believe
    My sleep will be sweet, and will come soon...

Berserker: Sir Richard Owen by pinetree
    While I adore the idea of a dinosaur Grail War, I can't see him as more than a side character. That being said, I'd relish reading a piece of fiction with him conjuring dinosaurs as mooks for the protagonists/antagonists! So for what it's worth, this one is a great secondary character; you don't need as many deep themes if you have mad aesthetics!
    That pretty close to my vision actually, I envisioned him as a sudden mid-boss. His master is the mysterious participant that we get glimpses of through the War, seemingly cunning and servantless to others, but actually desperate to gather information and keep Berserker hidden until he can get the Dinosaur Court ready for combat.
    I really like making mid-boss-like Berserkers.

And now, for my votes and some reviews:

• 3 points: Caster Dom Pedro II

His skills didn't surprise me much since we did talk about them before, but your grasp on his history and character is incredible and really is portrayed well by the sheet, you talked about how you envisioned him before but despite being interesting, I didn't expect such a gripping character. Really well done.

At first I didn't like how his Conceptual Improvement could work on items instead of just individuals, but it worked incredibly well to give him a tight kit of abilities thanks to your stroke of genius with Pugilo de Terra. You mentioned your difficulty in writing a NP that was iconic enough, and I can say without a doubt that you managed to do it. It's iconic, creative, and fits thematically. His second NP is less interesting but still good, and I think a Dom Pedro II servant couldn't be without it or something similar.

Also, I must say I love his interaction with Scheherazade, it's so perfect!

• 2 points: Funny Vamp Shinji

I dislike pseudo-Servants, even canon ones, but this one managed to overthrow any prejudices I might have had while reading the sheet, it does a great job at linking both characters and making a great Servant out of it. All the sections are well written and you manage to go from mechanic stuff to lore to
    deeper lore
    jokes
    flawlessly, I legitimately laughed when I read his scene with Sakura and that's not something that happens often even in comedic sheets. The only thing that really bothered me was that Immortal Corpse and History Denial are not Class Skills, I see no reason to keep them separate.

• 1 point: Foreigner Ada Lovelace

A great servant all around, her abilities and lore are well tied together in interesting ways and her personality is endearing.
    As I've said before, this was the first time a non-Lovecraftian foreigner convinced me, but I gotta say most of that is just the concept of the AI Singularity, you could have done a better job at explaining its meeting with Lovelace and detailing her decision to go along with its objectives, would be a great improvement to the presentation of an already great idea.

Berserker Dr. Robert Liston
    Spoiler:
    As always your presentation is marvelous gyro.
    His character didn't manage to interest me enough despite being an interesting individual, but his abilities are all very creative and well thought out as I've come to expect from you. I only have two gripes, though the second is a big one.

I though you would write his ME akin to Nightingale's but what you actually did really weirded me out. I just don't see any justification for seeing others as flesh creatures, it doesn't seem to fit his theme, doesn't seem to have any connection with his main "speed" thing, and overall just seems like a really disconnected addition. Not necessarily bad, but I would like to hear why you decided to write this in.

His Noble Phantasm is bad. I loved the name and was expecting to see how you would change Liston Style up to be an NP, but instead he got some other stuff on the Throne? I mean, it just seems nonsensical in many ways. To my knowledge we've never seen anything even remotely similar happening in canon with Servants not only interacting on the Throne but just giving out stuff, and NPs are the crystallization of legend! You should've kept the name but it should've been Liston Style! I saw you said you wanted a NP and other similar technique abilities are not, but you should have done like they did with Kojirou. Say it actually isn't a NP but is on the level of one and categorize it as one in the sheet instead of leaving it among the skills.

Assassin Belle Gunness
    Spoiler:
    Delightfully creepy, honestly, scarier than the avatar of the perfect emotionless conquering AI I just voted for. It was really difficult to decide between this one and Lovelace to vote for, but I ended up going for Lovelace just because Foreigners interest me more.
    Still, this sheet was good until the case file, then it became great, the first time a sheet got me so into its mood.

Assassin Georg Brandes
    Did a great job at both introducing and endearing me to this character, his kit is very cohesive and appropriate to his legend despite being powerful, except for the Mystic Eyes.

Caster Alexander Graham Bell
    The sheet is good and I love when Fate takes things to their logical extreme, but this one was just a bit too much of a stretch for me.

Assassin Wong Fei-Hung
    A very interesting person. You did really well adapting it into a Servant, my only problem is that his NP, while interesting, is a bit too overcomplicated.
    Probably could have gotten a vote if I cared more about martial arts.

Rider Emilia Pater
    While this whole post was amazing, I was more interested in the historical person and your respect for them than the sheet itself. The sheet is simple, but still creative.

Alter Ego Simoun
    I like it, but there's too much Edmond here, I understand the reasons but he really could have used some more unique stuff. I really like the justification for the Alter Ego class though.

Great job everyone, sorry for the short reviews this time, didn't have the time to write more elaborate ones for everyone I wanted to mention.

Blog Entries
    1 point - Camille Saint-Saens

2 points - Manuel/Manuela

3 points - Mary Somerville

1 pt: Shinji/Manfred

2 pts: Alexander Graham Bell

3 pts: Manuel/Manuela
    "We don't need martyrs right now. We need heroes. A hero would die for his country, but he'd much rather live for it." -Josiah Bartlet

List of Servants I've made

Shame I just caught up on this after a year's absence. Always next contest I guess.

3 points- "Jack" the Ripper by zikari8

My favorite part of Servant sheets is the usage of pre-established lore to create something new that feels completely authetic to the setting, and this does that perfectly. It's not just a new idea, it is a new idea that, even without having been mentioned canonically, we know for a fact exists and fits into what we already know without any problem despite treading two different characters' worth of ground that has already been covered by the franchise. The base concept alone is great and potentially worth a vote, but the execution works just as well. How Helena, who has been shown to break down when accused, deals with the fact that she is summoned in a state dedicated to being accused is handled just right. The changes to her skill set as a result of being Jack are good. I love Ripperology. If I had any criticism, it would be that, despite the lore behind Star of Goetia (which is great), the actual effect is rather dull. Whether she uses it or not, all it amounts to, essentially, is tacking a few more types of magic onto Mahatma. I think something more unique could have been done with it. Despite that, it all adds up to an excellent sheet, that shines even more thanks to the little details, like having higher Agility because she is Jack. As far as I am concerned, this might as well be what she's really like until/unless canon proves otherwise.

2 points- Matou Shinji by also zikari8
    To be short, it is just as well put together as Jack was, if not better. Normally I don't like using classes without canon class skills, since I never feel right with assigning skills to an entire class of Servant, but the sheet is so good I didn't even remember I feel that way until I sat down to write this. There are two reasons Jack is above it and not the other way around: the first is that the combination of two interesting canon characters is simply more interesting than the combination of an interesting canon character and some guy I've never heard of. The second is that, as a joke character, I just can't appreciate him as much. I prefer my dumb gags to be about characters, rather than be characters themselves. Still, as far as joke sheets go, this will go down as one of the greats.

1 point- Serizawa Kamo by Uralmash
    Maybe it is just the ongoing FGO event putting me in a mood where good Shinsengumi sheets are particularly effective, but I like this one. He's a solid, distinct Japanese swordsman Servant, but with a twist that makes him more than just that, and a tie-in to canon Servants that gives depth to both himself and them. Not something particularly innovative, unless you count being someone unlikely to show up in canon, but he's just a solid Servant. The only thing that stands out to me as worth criticizing is, why does "gave him a bad reputation" cause a rank drop for a sword technique, let alone when it is a sword technique used by someone who does nothing but give himself a bad reputation? Also, is that really the name of his sword? Jeez, that's long as hell.

Honorable Mentions
    Sir Richard Owen- I also really do love my dinosaurs, and I think that might have hurt this sheet. It's a good sheet, but it is somewhere in between "Servant dedicated to commanding dinosaurs" and "Owen being an ass", and I think it would have benefited by leaning more into the latter, detaching him from real dinosaurs in favor of focusing on stuff like the Hippocampus Question and shitting all over other, better people. The gimmick of the NP is cool, but I don't think it really fits Owen, at least not this one. I could see a Caster or Rider version "acquiring new information", but it doesn't mesh with the Berserker class, which seems to emphasize his stubborness.

Dr. Robert Liston- As a character and concept I really love Liston, and would have given him a vote, but the devil's in the details. As others have pointed out, the whole "flesh monstrosities" thing is kinda... not, great? If it had stopped at "he sees the battlefield as an operating theatre", it would have been awesome, the idea of a Berserker who is delusional to the point where he thinks he is performing a perfectly normal surgery instead of fighting to the death is super cool, but making it so that he sees it as fighting inhuman abominations with his surgical techniques just doesn't fit at all with the rest of the sheet. And, as others have again pointed out, the Noble Phantasm is bad. That's not how the Throne of Heroes works. It is a lore mistake of the most basic level that pretty much ruins what would otherwise have been a very good Servant. A Servant does not need to have a proper Noble Phantasm, and shoehorning one into him was a bad idea.

Queen Victoria- Simply a good sheet. Loses some points for essentially just copying Cortana, instead of coming up with something that was original and potentially more interesting, but that aside it feels very Fate.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Alright, I'm going to give my impressions of all the sheets in this competition in order! It's still unfinished, but I'll get the rest tomorrow!

Criteria
    Obviously an exceedingly subjective endeavor, the following is a list of factors I consider when reading these sheets roughly in the order of importance.

History: This refers to the mythical or historical facts of the particular character and how well they are used in the development of the sheet. Basically, if the various Skills and Noble Phantasms feel inspired and appropriate, it's real good!

There is a caveat though: If I lack knowledge on that particular servant, I will take the sheet as face value, as most of the works cite the particular inspirations of their source characters.

Narrative Potential: If a sheet gives me the urge to write or read about them, it's a winner. However, this instance is focused on a Grail War settings along the lines of Stay Night, Zero and Apocrypha, so many of the more comedic servants lose points by being incompatible with the style of fiction I prefer.

Basically, a servant would need to have an engaging personality that would offer

Theming: If a servant is a character that serves some purpose in the fiction, a tight and cohesive set of themes is almost required. Basically, if a servant's core conceit can be easily summarized in a paragraph but can be thoroughly explored in a story surrounding them, they gain mad points.

Novelty: Unfortunately human beings are hardwired to appreciate new and shiny things, so new, weird, outlandish or clever sheets get some points simply for being different.

Nasuverse Nonsense: This one is a wildcard. "Nasuverse Nonsense" simply refers to whatever BS the author comes up with to spice their creation with. Personally, this can make or break a sheet; something too over the top can ruin the believability of a servant or do disservice to their origin, but properly enhanced concepts can be used to tighten themes and flesh-out otherwise lackluster characters. Generally, I appreciate whatever addition adds to a servant's character. Abilities and somesuch are often pointless to me.

Mechanics: The nitty-gritty specs and abilities of a servant. I don't usually pay much mind to statistics, as their value in creating fiction is often negligible, so this factor mostly comes to play when the skills and statistics seem grossly out-of-whack. However, Class Skills, Personal Skills and Noble Phantasms play an integral part in the Theming and Narrative Potential factors!
    I was never be able to make clear definition what things that I value on a Sheet before, this perfectly define all of them. Though, I have a special case where old things that done right valued highly too.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockehwork View Post
    1 point- Serizawa Kamo by Uralmash
    Maybe it is just the ongoing FGO event putting me in a mood where good Shinsengumi sheets are particularly effective, but I like this one. He's a solid, distinct Japanese swordsman Servant, but with a twist that makes him more than just that, and a tie-in to canon Servants that gives depth to both himself and them. Not something particularly innovative, unless you count being someone unlikely to show up in canon, but he's just a solid Servant. The only thing that stands out to me as worth criticizing is, why does "gave him a bad reputation" cause a rank drop for a sword technique, let alone when it is a sword technique used by someone who does nothing but give himself a bad reputation? Also, is that really the name of his sword? Jeez, that's long as hell.
    The event was the very reason I was inspired to make it in the first place. The prompt was just perfect for it. I feel that I didn't do enough to make him that much more distinct to the others (aside from the silly werewolf mode), but I'm satisfied with the final product regardless. I just think I could've given it an extra special Fate-y edge. As for his technique, the rank is lowered because of the fact that a sword technique should be something that a ronin can be proud of, and for others to learn off of it. Yet all his did was instill fear into others, to the point where they imprisoned him. You could say, according to the timeline of events, that it was the first thing that marked him as "having a bad reputation". So while I say "Rank Down", it technically doesn't have a "Rank Up".

And yeah, the sword name is a bit of a mouthful. Technically it is a brand of sword that he favored, but by that era, they were very rare and he was the most famous wielder of one. Well, "famous". It is often abbreviated as "Bingo Mahara", though I unfortunately am unable identify what it exactly means. It's not a legendary sword or anything of the sorts, it's simply an old brand of good steel blade that has been favorited by various samurai and warlords over generations since the late Kamakura era.

---

As for my own votes...

3pts - Ada Lovelace (I'm a sucker for Ada concepts and this idea is very unique)

2pts - "Jack the Ripper" (I'm always onboard for more interesting takes on the Ripper, and I love Helena so this one stood out to me a lot)

1pt - Camille Saint-Saëns (So cooool. I love such twists in musicians)

"The Tsar lives... forever."

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    The other half, my crude writing will start slipping here, the criticism will start not become very objective and becomes lazy; so sorry if this may come off as unfair. But anyway...

Spoiler:

Manuela
    Fabuzer's Manuela
    The same thing with Wong Fei Hung applies here, but there is a part that makes them better.

The NP is interesting without just focusing on the technical aspect. You also explained very well why they were split into quasi-shadow werewolf person. The part where she/he can't die without slain together is definitely will come off as a nice surprise for narrative. Enemy Servant forced to use their energy consuming NP, and then they recover from it because the Servant only kills them once. Now that's amazing to see.
    Cecil Rhodes

Funderfullness's Cecil Rhodes
    Skill:
    When it comes to Skill, I think yours are the best. Most of the Skills in canon are contains only a few paragraphs and some lines referencing where they come from. They were descriptive and tell everything they do without becoming a behemoth of text. Good job.

NP:
    His NPs were fun and fits his legend. Da Beers have an unfortunate funny NP name, jokes aside it quite fits well with his item creation Skill. I can't say more since I really never heard of him before. But one thing that turns me off is he didn't feel like an Archer besides his weapon (I suppose he similar with Tesla but Tesla helped with his attacking animation are full of projectiles), did his weapon grows alongside him too?
    Helena the Ripper

Zikari's Helena the Ripper
    I think when looking for joke Servant that came off high quality, you just simply can't beat zikari's. This befits on crack GO event Servants/costume change which despite how 'WTF' they are, have some basis on real-life legends.

Ripperology, is one of them. It's stupid and funny, it has a basis. Ritual From Hell shows the serious side of joke Servant, despite being a comic relief, they are always been a superman ghost. Good job.
    Victoria

Hermes's Saber of Grand Empire
    Choosing someone famous is always a + for me. Let's dive in into the coolest aspect of this Sheet.

Cortana - Britannia:
    Finally, a Cortana that is a goddamn BEAMU. This shit right here, is what I refer as old things done right.

We have beam swords in canon, we have legendary spears in canon, we have ships in canon, we have 'because of king lol' in canon. Is this a bad thing? Fuck no (for me). When people say they hate all those, it kinda triggers me that people take it only at face value. Yeah, sure Balmung, Photon Ray and other beam swords are visually, beam swords; but they were different. Excalibur is a sword that symbolizes all hopes and Clarent Blood Arthur symbolizes Mordred hatred toward Seiba, not to mention the power levels were different (but I don't actually care about power level between sword beams lol), etc.

This too, has its individual identities, whopping many in fact.

Let's dig a little about Victoria's reign. Victoria was known as one of the best rulers of England, she has an era named after her, that's say something. But the greatness of England cost something, that is, the colonies. There is no denying that what happens to many unfortunate things she did, while necessary, were cruel. Behind the Sun that Never Sets on an empire, a giant shadow also created reminiscent of the darkness the empire did. And this NP symbolizes that. Which is very Nasu NP imho.

I knight you as Bird of THEMES (you should be proud)

Though, what if, Cortana is like Fragarach? Secretly safeguarded and still be able to be used under dire situation?

Skill:
    I think you can get more on her, tries to focus on the fact that she brings another golden era to England.

---
    While there is nothing wrong with a companion Sheet (I like Asterism's too), I feel like, it hurt itself in a competition just simply because it was being made for other people Sheet. That and lack of Skills ultimately overshadowed by other gimmicky Sheets.
    Concerto Spectre

SleepMode's Concerto Spectre
    What's with musician and madness? Jokes aside, like Hermes, this too also old idea gone interesting.

The most obvious NP for him is definitely his most famous piece, which is Danse Macabre. On a surface level, you get another music of death. But how you did it? No one had done people dancing until they die before. The way you incorporate his 'afterlife is equal' belief is just genius. Music of death > afterlife didn't give a shit about people social status> everybody dance with skeleton regardless of their social status (I think it's as if you were looking at your own corpse).

Despite that creepy NP, his character comes off as quite goofy. Not a bad thing tho, good job.
    Belle Gunness

Funderfullness's Belle Gunness
    Have all the plus of your Cecil but better.

I think the best part of it is how you incorporate the burying people bits into crushing weight.
    FUNNY VAMP WAKAME

Zikari's Funny Vamp
    I dunno what to says, it was high effort and funny.
    Both Shinji and Sakura wasn't a character that I invested reading FSN, magecraft too is my weakness in this franchise, and I skip Near Sides because I find the girl from Far Sides more appealing.

I think it was great as it is, but as a Servant, I feel Manfred's is ultra overshadowed by Wakame.

Those two points combined with what I say about Pseudo-Servant as a Sheet is kinda 'eh' makes me ultimately likes your Helena better.

You realize this is mostly my taste and lots of people praise it. So objectively, continuing doing this kind of Sheet is actually a good idea.
    Simoun

Nuclear's Simoun
    I think this is not bad at all. The Skills and NPwere on point considering who he is and what makes him into Alter Ego. But I guess, it is super vanilla and lack of things that make it stand out.
    Mary Sommerville

Daneel's Mary Sommerville
    Oh, this is really cool. I like how 'narrative-y' the NP was, and the basic idea of translating complicated NP into something understandable by the masses is really standout. (which I think science is not complicated at all bruh (joke))

Though, things that quite throw me off is that someone who basically translates stuff can have the abilities of those who invents (even though not as good as them), and lots of them are very well-known worldwide. But that just me.
    Serizawa Kamo

Uralmash's Serizawa Kamo
    Nice, someone from Bakumatsu period. While I like historical Japanese Servant, there is something that kinda throws me off from them especially the canon one. But let's talk about the good first.

Lore was great, it tells a lot of things, and tells what I need to know solely for the sheet. The first NP was fitting his xenophobic theme you going on.

But comes next, what I dislike. I feel like, many canonical Japanese Servant just loaded with special Personal Skill that nobody has except them. While they were not necessarily stronger than the standard Skills, it makes them feels special in comparison with non-Japanese Servants. Many didn't tell what the fuck they do except tidbits and lore.

Yours tell what those Skills do, so good job. So mostly, it just that I like other Sheets better.

I just love scientist and war people in general so many of them just lost on the battle of subjectivity.

Thanks for all the comments about Belle so far, she was super fun to research and write.

Funderfullness's Cecil Rhodes
    Skill:
    When it comes to Skill, I think yours are the best. Most of the Skills in canon are contains only a few paragraphs and some lines referencing where they come from. They were descriptive and tell everything they do without becoming a behemoth of text. Good job.

NP:
    His NPs were fun and fits his legend. Da Beers have an unfortunate funny NP name, jokes aside it quite fits well with his item creation Skill. I can't say more since I really never heard of him before. But one thing that turns me off is he didn't feel like an Archer besides his weapon (I suppose he similar with Tesla but Tesla helped with his attacking animation are full of projectiles), did his weapon grows alongside him too?
    I first penciled him in as an Archer because he's depicted carrying a rifle in a bunch of pictures, but as I researched more I found that he and his company were the first to employ a couple unique guns (which I included in his equipment section). I guess the reason he doesn't feel like an Archer is that he's a businessman first, fighter seventh.

Also yes, as you can see in the FC, his weapon grows with him.
    Last edited by Funderfullness; June 23rd, 2018 at 01:43 PM.
    "We don't need martyrs right now. We need heroes. A hero would die for his country, but he'd much rather live for it." -Josiah Bartlet

List of Servants I've made

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Well, I think that's not your fault and more on the limitation of the material you working with. The only class that befits him beside Archer is Caster aka the misc. class.

Quote Originally Posted by JetKinen View Post
    He in fact did, or so the monarchists say.
    The more patriotic version, the one that i used, says that he had a bag with soil from every part of the country. The more normal one was that the bag had a fistful of sand of the Copacabana beach, the beach from the city where he lived which he took while being transported into his exile.
    Damn, now I need to do some research on this guy; he seems way cooler than a monarch has any right to be

But for now, let's venture back to the land of review! Check my first review post to see the criteria I use to evaluate these sheets!

Rest of the reviews
    Foreigner: Ada Lovelace by NMR-3
    Bell and Lovelace compete for me in much the same way: both are casters that are "consumed" by their technology and - in my opinion - better than Babbage himself. The connection with foreigner hits the sweet-spot of Nasuverse Nonsense, adding to her character and abilities seamlessly, almost as if they were meant to be from the start! The theming of "artificial unfeeling superintelligence" is displayed in every part of the sheet which makes the whole sheet click for me.

However, robot-making - while cool - loses to Bell's madness inducing NP, and her abilities are less immediate, as artificial intelligence being the in the realm of sci-fi (for now, at least), and mass telecommunication is the world we live in. Overall, however, one of the top 5 sheets of this contest for me! Even though I compared her to Bell a lot in this, she'd probably stand out even more in story where artificial life and cold pragmatism would take center stage.

Assassin: Wong Feihung by Fabuzer
    Wise kung-fu masters are actually one of my favorite tropes! The background reads like a proper story and the personality fits the trope to a T. This one would definitely make for an excellent main character in a Grail War, possibly as a mentor to a scrappy young master who wishes to protect the innocent from the more ruthless participants.

However, much like Duke Wellington, he's too good as a standard servant for his own good, and there are sheets with more dramatic (or at least less common) tropes in this batch that oust both of these from the top 3. But definitely a top-tier heroic spirit!

Alter Ego: Alice Pleasance Liddell by Spartacus
    This particular sheet reads like a piece of poetry, and is more a creative work of art than any other servant summary I've read. Reading it is almost unsettling, because you're reading a servant sheet (like you've read so many in your lifetime), but it conveys it's information in its own terms, using structure and cadence that defies the usually to-the-point descriptions of skills and identity. The only way it could be improved would be that if the "Lore" section was also written in-character.

But beyond that, Alice presents a character very fitting to contemplative fiction. I'm not sure how her paradox works, but her inability to grow up and her existence as an ideal "kid protagonist" and a symbol for grieving the passage of time would make her a fitting companion character to a person who wishes to defy the inevitable, somehow, be it the flow of time, some preordained fate, the loss of a loved one... or mayhaps someone who desires to remain as they are even when the situation calls for the to change. And while the inherent weirdness of her could be seen as a trait for comedy, I rather see it as an opportunity for the delightfully absurd, something Type-Moon fiction is very familiar with. Basically, this sheet oozes narrative potential. Top tier sheet, enjoyable to read, compelling to ponder about, top 3 for sure!

Berserker: Manuel/Manuela Blanco Romasanta by Fabuzer
    And we keep striking gold!

Here we have an example of excellent use of Nasuverse Nonsense; take a character that's not very well known aside from a few traits, and then build an actual character there using the foundations. The result is something greater than the sum of its parts, a fusion of fact and fiction that complement one another in a way the best Servants do. As far as I can tell, 90% of this character is OC but it still feels it could have been "real", that the conditions they were subjected to would cause someone the same trauma.

Gender dysphoria is not commonly seen in fiction, and having a servant whose entire existence is so skillfully bound to it is refreshing. To be sure, the condition does not make one a psychotic killer and force a multiple personality disorder, but their (Manuel/Manuela's) condition is made believable by some common touchstones: The trigger of the full moon which brings back traumatic memories, and the everpresent and deep-seated frustrations and sense of otherness in those who find their very bodies unsuited for them.

Additionally, the interplay of the two sides is fascinating, like vocalizing the mediation of id and superego, the deep animal instincts and the controlling socially accepted habits. There's simply so much stuff here!

So if it wasn't clear, this is the number 1 sheet for me in this batch. Stellar job, creative as hell!

Archer: Cecil Rhodes by Funderfullness
    I have somewhat particular tastes regarding heroic spirits. Most of all, I like them heroic, which unfortunately dismisses historical figures such as this. Exceptions like Bell and Lovelace get by because their conceptual ground is so fertile, and villains like Romasanta are the flipside of heroic. So basically, I can't easily imagine an easy way to place this jolly-looking businessman to a Grail War even when the technical aspects are all sound. :P

Caster: HelenaJack the Ripper by zikari8
    One of my favorite aspects about fictional characters is conflict and development potential. This sheet bakes conflict into her very being, and leverages the metaphysics of heroic spirits to create drama; Saint Graphs don't record people how they actually were, but all the interpretations of how people saw them as. Reality is perception, and to this Blavatsky, the perception of others has become reality. And discrimination can change even living people all too easily.

Basically, "Jack" would make an excellent pair with another character who shares her circumstances, or a foil to a character who wants to act in defiance of other's expectations of them. There are sound foundations for a redemption arc or just a straightforward dive to vindictive madness.

Unfortunately, Manuel/Manuela is just close enough in concept to Blavatsky and I want my placement points to represent different kinds of sheets... But this is still in my top 5 and one of my favorite character concepts in general.

Saber: Alexandrina Victoria by Bird of Hermes

A technically competent sheet that just doesn't push my buttons the way some others have, unfortunately. Mechanics are sound, and the interesting master-servant relationships and knighting could be used for some awesome shenanigans, but we've seen so many rulers from the British isles already! So a solid secondary character, and it would be great to see her inverting the usual master-servant relationship and be the top-dog to some haughty magus d-bag. Or perhaps some musing on what its like live "queenship", how much of yourself you need to sacrifice for your country while retaining your "self". :Q

Assassin: Camille Saint-Saëns by SleepMode
    There is definitely narrative potential here is a "non-genius master", which is a pretty universally relatable concept. And I'd say one too well-trodden already. Again, the sheet - all of the sheets submitted, actually - are technically sound, enjoyable to read and ponder about, but this one joins the Lord Wellington and Wong Feihung club of "I think I've seen that trope somewhere before." Which isn't a bad thing, simply overshadowed by more novel or personally enthralling concepts in this particular batch.

But I do need to point out that the characterization is expertly done, as even a short summary such as this is able to convey so much of his personality.

Assassin: Belle Gunness/Myling by Funderfullness

This one is actually a story, and that's praise if you ask me!

Assuming the background section is the real-life account of this servant's past, it's hilariously aptly transferred to that little skit in the end. I see the personality section is omitted, but I can see that this particular character probably wouldn't benefit from having her true motivations revealed. It wouldn't make for a good protagonist, but as the skit suggests it would make for a terrific antagonist! Besides, simply reading the background gives enough of an indication of what Myling might have been like without getting into the concrete "why" of it, and I like how LDV lampshades this fact.

The Nasuverse Nonsense on the botchling is tastefully done, giving just enough creative madness without going completely overboard. All in all, the restraint in making this sheet that only gives you the bare minimum information to foster intrigue is really commendable. I'm not sure if there were many revisions when it was constructed, but the end result is tight as hell!

But as the third entry to our list of female(one unspecified!) serial killers(one allegedly!), it loses to Manuel/Manuela for top pick. But make no mistake, it's in the top 5.

Funny Vamp: Matou Shinji/Count Manfred by zikari8
    We all know Shinji. Shinji is a piece of human garbage. While this servant is technically not Shinji, he still technically kind of is, and having Shinji in existential agony over his actions is all I've ever wanted for him. And to die a thousand times in the most painful ways I can think of. A+

Alter Ego: Simoun by Nuclear Consencus
    I don't normally read other's feedback on a piece of writing (sheets in this instance) before giving my own, but I happened to see a few on this one and have to agree: I think we've seen this one done already. Again, technically sound sheet, but the background section simply leaves me thinking about Count of Monte Cristo. While I do like alter-egos in how they play with the concept of a servant, this "author avatar" lacks the absolute feverish madness of Alice we've seen in the running. I don't really feel comfortable demanding anything from creators, but I feel like this servant needs something "special" to make them truly stand out in a crowd.

Ruler: Mary Somerville by Daneel Rush
    One of the most intriguing things about this particular contest was the emergence of the varied relationships between contemporary figures! But on to the sheet!

I like stories, the little skit at the beginning is pretty much all I need to start drooling. And it didn't disappoint! I've always liked the idea of polymath... ism? Polymathics? Whatever, I've always respected the thirst for varied kinds of knowledge in order to make use of the world in a more comprehensive scale. This servant scratches me in very delicate spots in that way, and I can't help but to immediately identify. Don't take me the wrong way though: I'm hardly as smart or knowledgeable, but I wish I could be!

Very close in concept to Bell and Lovelace, this servant also takes their brand of science and follows it to the absolute logical extreme, and I really dig the execution of it. While she can only shadow the genius of others that push the boundaries, she is the one who can bind it all together, truly fitting the Ruler class who is beyond the game. The personality painted by the skit and the extensive biography section allude to a character devoid of the tropey writing some of the worst Type-Moon servants suffer from, and truly make her stand out as her own person. So even if that personality is kind of a jerk, that jerkiness makes her better as a character!

The old saying goes: Being a jack of all trades makes you master of none, but also makes you a Ruler Class servant!

Berserker: Serizawa Kamo by Urlmash
    Here is an archetypal Dragon! No, not the creature, the trope! A cruel, xenophobic and deadly swordsman is everything you need in a penultimate boss, and this servant delivers in spades. While I don't feel it's that complex, I also get that it's not supposed to be. However, there are enough facets to his personality to make him an interesting foe, able to avoid the most common clichés.

Sorry, I don't have much more to say. Sometimes all you need is a competent and evil antagonist and this one hits all the marks. However, we've already established that something more novel is needed for my personal top rankings, so this one has to sit out the points!

Scores
    Finally! This took way longer than expected, but reading and musing on these creations is really fun too!

Alright, there are only three positions worth points that I can give, and triple the amount of servants that deserve them... So I shall award a rank to the category first and then give the best sheet representing that category the points! This doesn't mean the ones that didn't make it were vastly different in quality for me, simply that they pleased my own sensibilities. So, without further ado, my points!

1 Point
    For Science!

Winner: Mary Somerville
    Runners-up: Alexander Graham Bell, Ada Lovelace
    Comments: While Lovelace was no slouch in the race, the victory between Bell and Somerville is basically a roll of the die. I love them both equally as much, but since I've never heard of Somerville before this I had to give her a few novelty points!

2 Points
    Madness Returns

Winner: Alice Liddell
    Comments: Alice stood alone.

3 Points
    "Female" and "Serial Killers"

Winner: Manuel/Manuela
    Runners-up: Helena "Jack", Belle Gunness/Myling
    Comments: Tough battle between the three contestants, but one managed to oust the others in sheer thematic content!
    Last edited by Lumikoi; June 26th, 2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FORMATIING PLEASE LORD SAVE ME!

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to say something about my votes, but given nearly everybody had beat me to the punch, I'll leave some remarks instead.

3pts: Pedro II by Jetkinen
    The heart and passion were evident in the writing, I'm very impressed. The best part was the "Bag of Earth" NP, it left a poignant feeling after reading it.

2pts: Wong Feihung by Fabuzer
    Martial Arts Servants have a bit of a special place in my heart, and while it wasn't as unique as Manuela/Manuel, it won me over with the laconic mindset Feihung possessed. Additionally, the Wu Ying Jiao NP was a efficient yet badass display of Assassin's skills -- very fitting of his character.

1pt: Mary Somerville by Daneel Rush
    This sheet aced the technical department, but the Connexion of Natural Sciences bordering on Divine Authority was difficult to digest. On the other hand, Edison's Anti-Mystery BEAM exists, so I can't be too critical.

Honorable Mentions:

Emilia Pater (My Lord the Dedication)
    Ada Lovelace (Honestly caught off-guard by the interpretation of a foreign entity, neato)
    Alexander Graham Bell (The fact you expanded Bell in such a manner into a cool and somewhat terrifying individual was impressive)
    Helena the Ripper (Least "jokey" of the two entires, and I liked it for the Jack the Ripper theory it was based on along with the Ritual From Hell NP)
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Blog Entries
    Mm, votes first, and summaries of my thoughts to be added as the day goes on. For real, this time! I always get sidetracked but today is a light work day... Honestly, though, I'm super duper happy with how everyone enjoyed the prompt. This was a hard vote and even the Honorable Mentions were hard to pick, because I wanted to give points to all of them and I had 3 HMs I didn't list for space.

So please be aware I'd vote for like 3/4 of the whole entry list if I could, kya. The margins here were super narrow because everyone did so well. If I had to pick my last prompt, I'm glad it was this one! ^^

3 points:

Jack the Ripper
    Kyaaaa... This was my absolute favorite surprise. A really neat take on existing lore and characters but in a direction that's entirely its own. Very creative and even the FC fit! Ripperology was a fun, indirect NP and the way it feeds Helena's issues in this incarnation was a really mean feedback loop.

2 points:
    Ada Lovelace
    I couldn't give it a better score because while the concept and abilities are strong, the character herself feels fairly glossed over - it doesn't really go into how she got connected with the Entity or explore what effect it has on her life story, which reads fully divorced from its influence on her. I also can't help but take a little issue with categorizing her as Babbage's assistant, even indirectly - she considered herself a business partner and manager for Babbage and even wrote to him as if he was subordinate to her at times. It's a brilliant idea but I don't feel much of the actual Ada in it or even an exploration of the differences from her life. I'm probably harsher on this just because it's her, I suppose... But I still enjoyed it a lot. I'd love to see more of it.

1 point:
    Wong Feihung
    A very neat interpretation of his life with some Nasu flair and a very fun NP. This was a very solid sheet that really shone as a solid, believable Servant and character sheet. I didn't know much about him but I came out of this with a really solid view of him as a character and a nice workable idea of his life as a Nasuverse character.

Honorable Mentions:
    Alice Pleasance Liddell
    Harriet Houdini
    Mary Somerville
    Manuel/Manuela

Pedro II

A very charming sheet and a rare choice for a Servant - the soil of his homeland felt like a very romantic NP and being cut-off from territorial mana sources is a very cruel but appropriate mechanic. He feels very hard to use and desperately edged for a master who summons him, but he gives a strong personality overall. This was a close battle for points...

Thoughts on the rest:
    Spoiler:
    Georg Brandes
    The usage of Hero Creation felt appropriate and the power of the eyes is balanced by his stats/ability to actually capitalize on the less intellectual flaws in things. I don't entirely feel him as an Assassin, though, but I get that his viable classes are limited. But definitely a neat indirect/buff servant concept.

Robert Liston
    I really like him as a choice and the FC gives a fun rough around the edges doctor feel. Though I do agree with others that his ME giving him Saya no Uta vision is maybe a bit much - a Nightingale-tier passion for surgical solutions even where not practical or lacking in judgment would have been enough. The NP origins were a bit of a demerit, as it should be something about him and his life specifically that got crystallized, not gifted - but I suppose there's rare situations where that happened, like Gilles/Prelati. But it isn't warranted like there and felt a bit random.

Captain Nemo
    I'm surprised Conceptual Improvement came up repeatedly this contest - I guess as a means to work around the 19th century levels. Nemo had a nice enough rationale for it, though, although some examples of Atlantean improvements would have been nice. I'd say the cannon warrants more than an A, if it can oneshot a city - though it's balanced by the lengthy cooldown. The 'there must always be a Nemo' thing was a neat invention since it allows for multiple candidates in a Robin Hood-y way. I kind of would have liked more exploration of that.

Sir Richard Owen
    Arthur Wellesley
    John Henry 'Doc' Holliday
    Alexander Graham Bell
    Emilia Pater
    Cecil Rhodes
    Alexandria Victoria
    Camille Saint-Saens
    Belle Gunness
    Matou Shinji
    Simoun
    Serizawa Kamo
    Last edited by Sunny; June 29th, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

Signature by fumato