Thread: Fate / Mahjong Night

Fate / Mahjong Night

******************#!xIQCzBjB!bFgVAuFyQ...Vi8UXYc7YC6sAA

Bought, scanned and made available.
    I must admit, I'm not entirely selfless ... I actually do like playing Mahjong, from time to time, and am hoping this gets translated before I've learned enough Japanese to read it myself.
    At any rate, have fun reading.

US Friend Code
    Berserker smashing the pieces and Sella's reaction is just hilarious
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This looks incredible.

I might pick up a copy myself next time I get a chance.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

If only I knew a single thing about Mahjong....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I believe there is a Mahjong thread buried somewhere in this forum that tries to explain the rules and somesuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I believe there is a Mahjong thread buried somewhere in this forum that tries to explain the rules and somesuch.
    It's stickied in AGMD.

Also rip MZeroX

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Looks intimidating, but I'll give it a go.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Blog Entries
    I've spent a majority of my life playing mahjong regularly and I still don't understand the rules. But from what I can gather, I think Berserker's doing it right.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Others can't ron off you if the discard doesn't exist.
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

It's not that complicated ... think asian poker.

Everybody draws 13 tiles and is trying to complete his hand with the 14th.
    On his turn, a player draws a tile and - if he doesn't have that complete hand - discards one.

To win your hand (with two exceptions) will consist of 4 sets and one pair.
    A set can be either
    • a sequence of three consecutive numbers in the same suit
    • a triplet of the same tile
    • a quartet of the same tile

In addition, your hand must have at least one yaku. (Let me stress that: one yaku not one multiplier [han], because bonus tiles reward han but do not count as yaku and therefore aren't enough to make your hand valid.)
    Note, that when that reference says "concealed" or "closed" hand, it means you cannot have stolen any tiles (other than the last).

There are three ways of stealing tiles other players discard:
    • Chii: you steal a tile to complete a sequence, you can only do that from the player to your left
    • Pon: you steal a tile to complete a triplet, you can do that from any player
    • Kan: you steal a tile to complete a quartet, you can do that from any player

You can also declare "Kan" when you have drawn all four tiles yourself. In that case, the outer two tiles are turned around to indicate that your hand is still considered closed.
    After declaring Kan, draw a tile from the dead wall (the 14 tiles you don't normally draw from), and flip another bonus tile (dora) indicator.
    The dora indicators are on top of the dead wall and the tile following it wil become a bonus tile (e.g. if an indicator is 5 of bamboo, 6 of bamboo is a dora).

And there are two ways you can win:
    • Tsumo: you draw the last tile you need yourself, all players pay part of your hand's score
    • Ron: you steal the last tile you need when another player discards it, that player alone pays the full score

Note that you cannot Ron on a tile you have previously discarded.
    In fact, when there are multiple tiles that can complete your hand, you cannot Ron if a tile you have previously discarded is one of them. This is called furiten.
    (Side note: this means that when you know a player just needs the last tile for his hand [e.g. after he's declared Riichi, see below], these are the safest tiles to discard. For that player, anyway, the other two may be waiting on the same tile.)

Now let's briefly cover what gave the Japanese Riichi Mahjong its name: Riichi
    When your hand is still closed (you haven't stolen any discards) and you only need one last tile to complete your hand, you can declare that.
    You wager a 1000 points ("Riichi stick") and turn your next discard sideways. From this point on, you are not allowed to change your hand.
    If you win after declaring riichi, you get to look at the tiles below the dora indicators (the mahjong wall is two tiles high). These will become bonus tile indicators as well (or "below bonus tile bonus tile indicators", with the "below bonus tile bonus tiles" being referred to as "ura dora") which can boost your hand if you're lucky.
    Riichi is a yaku and therefore it is sometimes worth to not steal a discard to keep your hand closed, especially when your hand is garbage.
    (There are other reasons you may want to keep your hand closed, but this is the most obvious.)

Oh, and - depending on the game - one of the 5es of each suit may be red. They just count as additional "red bonus tiles" (aka dora).

And I think that's all you need to know to play.
    Don't bother learning how to score your hand until you feel you really need to be able to do the calculation yourself. When playing on the computer, the computer wiill score your hand anyway.
    More han, more points. At least one yaku, often more worth closed than open. That's all you need to know to get started. :P

Now go try it out: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
    And when you feel comfortable, go play against real players. Tenhou is both free and popular: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rowser20161220
    http://arcturus.su/tenhou/ contains all you need (and more) to get started with Tenhou.

There are a few non-essential things I've left out, so when you feel like tackling the many big pictures in Zero's Guide: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...ral-discussion
    (Didn't read much of the guide because I didn't like how the big pictures fractured the text. Which is a shame, because I think the pictures do help. He really should make a Google Slides presentation out of his huge post.)
    Last edited by User1291; July 30th, 2017 at 03:53 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Eh, I'd describe it as Asian Gin Rummy rather than Asian Poker.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    なるほど、わからん

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zikari8 View Post
    I've spent a majority of my life playing mahjong regularly and I still don't understand the rules. But from what I can gather, I think Berserker's doing it right.
    Berserker: "The only way to win...is not to play." *Smash*

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by User1291 View Post
    It's not that complicated ... think asian poker.

Everybody draws 13 tiles and is trying to complete his hand with the 14th.
    On his turn, a player draws a tile and - if he doesn't have that complete hand - discards one.

To win your hand (with two exceptions) will consist of 4 sets and one pair.
    A set can be either
    • a sequence of three consecutive numbers in the same suit
    • a triplet of the same tile
    • a quartet of the same tile

In addition, your hand must have at least one yaku. (Let me stress that: one yaku not one multiplier [han], because bonus tiles reward han but do not count as yaku and therefore aren't enough to make your hand valid.)
    Note, that when that reference says "concealed" or "closed" hand, it means you cannot have stolen any tiles (other than the last).

There are three ways of stealing tiles other players discard:
    • Chii: you steal a tile to complete a sequence, you can only do that from the player to your left
    • Pon: you steal a tile to complete a triplet, you can do that from any player
    • Kan: you steal a tile to complete a quartet, you can do that from any player

You can also declare "Kan" when you have drawn all four tiles yourself. In that case, the outer two tiles are turned around to indicate that your hand is still considered closed.
    After declaring Kan, draw a tile from the dead wall (the 14 tiles you don't normally draw from), and flip another bonus tile (dora) indicator.
    The dora indicators are on top of the dead wall and the tile following it wil become a bonus tile (e.g. if an indicator is 5 of bamboo, 6 of bamboo is a dora).

And there are two ways you can win:
    • Tsumo: you draw the last tile you need yourself, all players pay part of your hand's score
    • Ron: you steal the last tile you need when another player discards it, that player alone pays the full score

Note that you cannot Ron on a tile you have previously discarded.
    In fact, when there are multiple tiles that can complete your hand, you cannot Ron if a tile you have previously discarded is one of them. This is called furiten.
    (Side note: this means that when you know a player just needs the last tile for his hand [e.g. after he's declared Riichi, see below], these are the safest tiles to discard. For that player, anyway, the other two may be waiting on the same tile.)

Now let's briefly cover what gave the Japanese Riichi Mahjong its name: Riichi
    When your hand is still closed (you haven't stolen any discards) and you only need one last tile to complete your hand, you can declare that.
    You wager a 1000 points ("Riichi stick") and turn your next discard sideways. From this point on, you are not allowed to change your hand.
    If you win after declaring riichi, you get to look at the tiles below the dora indicators (the mahjong wall is two tiles high). These will become bonus tile indicators as well (or "below bonus tile bonus tile indicators", with the "below bonus tile bonus tiles" being referred to as "ura dora") which can boost your hand if you're lucky.
    Riichi is a yaku and therefore it is sometimes worth to not steal a discard to keep your hand closed, especially when your hand is garbage.
    (There are other reasons you may want to keep your hand closed, but this is the most obvious.)

Oh, and - depending on the game - one of the 5es of each suit may be red. They just count as additional "red bonus tiles" (aka dora).

And I think that's all you need to know to play.
    Don't bother learning how to score your hand until you feel you really need to be able to do the calculation yourself. When playing on the computer, the computer wiill score your hand anyway.
    More han, more points. At least one yaku, often more worth closed than open. That's all you need to know to get started. :P

Now go try it out: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
    And when you feel comfortable, go play against real players. Tenhou is both free and popular: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rowser20161220
    http://arcturus.su/tenhou/ contains all you need (and more) to get started with Tenhou.

There are a few non-essential things I've left out, so when you feel like tackling the many big pictures in Zero's Guide: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...ral-discussion
    (Didn't read much of the guide because I didn't like how the big pictures fractured the text. Which is a shame, because I think the pictures do help. He really should make a Google Slides presentation out of his huge post.)
    Very informative, but I didn't see anything about draining life force or geopolitics. Maybe then people in the mahjong manga I've been reading play it differently...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    なるほど、わからん

Quote Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
    Very informative, but I didn't see anything about draining life force or geopolitics. Maybe then people in the mahjong manga I've been reading play it differently...
    I know that one ...
    Never could remember the name, though. :P
    Lemme check ...

Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku (ムダヅモ無き改革)

That should be the one, yes?