Thread: How did you start to look at anime?

How did you start to look at anime?

Everyone has seen some type of anime in their lifetime. How did you become acquainted with anime?
    admit card sarkari naukri
    Last edited by Shaw52; September 17th, 2021 at 10:44 AM.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dr Slump, Dragon Ball, Ranma, etc were on TV when i was a kid. Then Kenshin later on.

On the first year of uni a nerd friend lent me Evangelion, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop. There I jumped in and never looked back.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    Wrong subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Wrong subforum.
    By the almighty power of the moderation team, not anymore!
    don't quote me on this

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I want to say Sailor Moon, since it was one of the afterschool staples back in the mid 90's. That and Dragonball. But I can't quite pin down when I got back into anime. I remember going hard into manga during university, so it was probably something that came from there, but before I realized the school had an anime club.

Fuck, it was probably a combination of Haruhi and Slayers.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I was a kid the local video store had a couple copies of Gunslinger Girl in the foreign language section. I watched Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon before, but that I think was the first time I realised "damn, this is from Japan??"

I only got into anime-as-anime in high school though, watching Death Note at my friend's house and then Elfen Lied like a good edgy teen.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I watched Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh and such on tv when I was a kid, years later for some reason my cousin was downloading and watching subbed episodes of dragon ball and I watched together with him. When I finally got my own pc and internet access I started doing it on my own, one day while acessing the site I used to donwload these episodes I took notice in the news section of a screenshot of a anime. The screenshot showed a cute girl (I think she had big boobs too but I can't recall well) and for some reason I was so captivated I would go on to watch that anime (it was Zero no Tsukaima). It was the first anime I watched that I hadn't saw in my childhood as well as my first 12/13-episodes anime. From there on I would go on to watch other similary sized animes.
    Last edited by Nanashi(kari); September 7th, 2021 at 05:03 PM.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Some asshat was reading Naruto during IT class, which I picked up out of curiosity but found to be pretty juvenile (note: I would still go on to buy the first like, ten volumes at significant-to-my-then-allowance costs, proving I was a sucker back then too). Then the girl I was really into at the time introduced me to Bleach, and the rest was history.

Though to be fair due to physical constraints (no internet, lul) that was my introduction to manga, rather than anime. I rather foolishly picked Neon Genesis Evangelion to cut my teeth at anime with.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; September 7th, 2021 at 03:39 PM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched a bunch of Pokemon episodes as a kid. Then Soul Eater was probably the first anime I watched "as anime". Honestly don't really remember how/why I got into the medium though.

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    When I was a kid I would go to my grandparent's house every day after school. Since we received signals from various Austrian channels, I basically ended up watching German-dubbed Digimon religiously. Got all the way from Adventure to Data Squad that way. I also loved Yu-Gi-Oh! as a kid. Bought DVDs, had the cards, everything. Later on I wanted to rewatch Digimon, so I learned how to use streaming sites and stuff like that. Went through almost all of elementary school mostly watching stuff on there. Stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal (I also just remembered that I watched the original Beyblade shows) and other C O N S U M E P R O D U C T anime aimed at children, but also American shows.

Looking back on it I was vaguely aware that some shows I watched were Japanese, but everything I watched was foreign, so it didn't really matter too much to me. Same goes for the games I played.

It wasn't until the blursed year of 2016 and the release of Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 and me seeing its hype-ass kaiju-infested QTEs that the potential scope of the medium became clear to me.
    Specifically, it was me seeing the game's opening trailer. It was the first time I experienced the feeling of HYPE, and it is all thanks to this song:
    Behold - the most banger song in the history of anything related to Naruto

After that I became more interested in anime specifically. The rest, as they say, is history.

JP Friend Code
    500595933 | 紅 (pm)
    do we count Maya the Honey Bee as an anime

Sailor Moon, Dragonball, Pokemon, YuGiOh, ShamanKing, BeyBlade, Digimon, YuGiOh, Medabots, InuYasha, Slayers, Saint Seya, Duel Masters, B-Daman; all of them were on TV as a kid and to me they were just cartoons like Tom&Jerry; the only title that I probably religiously watched and tried to not miss a single episode was Dragonball Z; the others were occasionally watched (some at friends place, since they got more cartoon oriented channels)

the first anime that I watched being aware that it's going to be an anime (meaning, a cartoon made by a Japanese studio) was Love Hina (cuz i played love hina sim date and was curious about the source material during junior high school)

btw the french ver of dragonball z opening is still haunting me till this day
    Chaldea Heroes

Personal skill
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamFSN View Post
    Nikiri has what I dub Blessings of the Boobs, see. As long as what his rolling for has two conspicuous mountains, they'll come to him one way or another.
    Well, fine. Nikiri has this thing called 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikiri View Post
    GundamFSN. Thank you.

Just before rolling I said 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」

First ticket. Da Vinci-chan NP2.

Blog Entries

Sailor Moon, Dragonball, Pokemon, YuGiOh, ShamanKing, BeyBlade, Digimon, YuGiOh, Medabots, InuYasha, Slayers, Saint Seya, Duel Masters, B-Daman; all of them were on TV as a kid and to me they were just cartoons like Tom&Jerry; the only title that I probably religiously watched and tried to not miss a single episode was Dragonball Z; the others were occasionally watched (some at friends place, since they got more cartoon oriented channels)

the first anime that I watched being aware that it's going to be an anime (meaning, a cartoon made by a Japanese studio) was Love Hina (cuz i played love hina sim date and was curious about the source material during junior high school)

Love Hina was the first manga I read the tankobons of, the memories. Same nerd friend used to bring them to class and we passed them around.
    don't quote me on this

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar

Haha, oh man, Medabots. Such a ridiculous concept and yet such a cool anime.

I tried rewatching it once for nostalgia's sake and found out it's all but disappeared from the face of the internet (or at least subbed versions have).
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Angel Beats!

I have seen stuff like Digimon, Pokemon, Shonen Jumps, and Gundams before, but it is Angel Beats that turns me into a 'weeb' and being aware of anime's existence.

JP Friend Code
    500595933 | 紅 (pm)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    I tried rewatching it once for nostalgia's sake and found out it's all but disappeared from the face of the internet (or at least subbed versions have).
    you might find it if you search for "medarot" instead
    Chaldea Heroes

Personal skill
    Nikiri has what I dub Blessings of the Boobs, see. As long as what his rolling for has two conspicuous mountains, they'll come to him one way or another.
    Well, fine. Nikiri has this thing called 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」
    GundamFSN. Thank you.

Just before rolling I said 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」

First ticket. Da Vinci-chan NP2.

Blog Entries
    In 5th grade I walked from school to the public library near the town square, the basement floor had a manga collection. I already watched all the regulars on adult swim but that's also an origin story rather than a case of actively seeking animu and mango. I started playing Runescape at some point around 2002 and WoW in 2004, both were really grindy games and I owned a (cruddy) laptop which I set up beside my PC and wanted to have something on the side to watch while I played. This is when I truly began to search out things, finding shitty manga scanlations and youtube videos of anime episodes broken up into parts because yt had a length limit back then.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    because yt had a length limit back then.
    I remember in Uni, watching all of Clerks in 19 5-ish minute chucks in the student lounge.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watching the original Higurashi anime on YouTube split into 3 parts for each episode, changing sub groups a third of the way through, and then ending with the dub because no more subbed episodes were uploaded was a real experience, alright.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I can't even remember, really, except that way way back when I was in middle school one of my internet friends would send me Ranma 1/2 episodes. I'd watch Pokemon on TV, maybe YGO, and then one day after the Pokemon season was over I needed something new to watch, and flipped around until I got to a DBZ episode of Cell VS Piccolo... the rest is history.

Though anyone who played old games sort of was already a little familiar with anime because of the art styles.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.