Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 381112131415182363 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Well, that depends.
    She can rationalize it however she likes, but at the end of the day she is bullying someone to get her way. Does she have to be reminded of Luke's cave experience when he trained with Yoda? Be very careful that you do not become that very thing that you hate. What if she is wrong about not hurting her?

Also how many Jedi's have you seen use Force Choke, Natsumi? What's that, its a Sith power? Huh, wonder why.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 2nd, 2018 at 03:00 AM.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Also how many Jedi's have you seen use Force Choke, Natsumi? What's that, its a Sith power? Huh, wonder why.
    Well, there was that one Jedi they called Luke Skywalker way back when, if you remember ​Return of the Jedi. Anyway, I think she may be aiming for Force Stasis.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 2nd, 2018 at 03:12 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    As discussed;

[x] Say that she's probably had enough.
    Last edited by Daiki; January 2nd, 2018 at 04:33 AM.

Fine, after some debate there, I can see why people don't think that Shinji would see this as Natsumi being a bully so much to step in here.

Change vote:

[X] Say that she's probably had enough

I just want Natsumi to stop and the group to go have fun somewhere else.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 2nd, 2018 at 04:31 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Say that she's probably had enough

Natsumi looks a bit uncertain as she stares hard at the seemingly terrified ghost, who seems to be writhing and gasping for breath, even though a ghost should not need to breathe.

"...I think she'd had enough, Natsumi," Shinji says, seeing that this is as hard on his friend, as it seems to be on the ghost, and with a nod, the chestnut haired girl lowers her hand.

Moaning Myrtle ceases struggling as she hangs in the air, just staring at the group of ill-humored first years. From the ghost there are no aftereffects that one would expect of a choking victim, no coughing, no shaking, nothing - just an odd, eerie stillness.

"...what was that?" she asks, in nary more than a whisper.

"What was what?" Shinji answers, looking at the ghost challengingly, and reflecting that Natsumi was right about the ghost pretending to be hurt all along.

"You touched me," the ghostly girl continued, her voice hoarse. "You touched me...touched a young maiden, you, you perve--"

And then the ghost went spinning through the air, her back arching as if like a bow, spinning round and round, until at last she careened through the sink and wall.

"Wha...there's a tunnel behind here..." Shinji can hear faintly, his curiosity piqued, but shakes his head.

"Let's get out of here," he says, with Natsumi agreeing as she clings to his arm.

Where to?

[ ]
    The Lake
    [ ] The Kitchens
    [ ] The Quidditch Pitch
    [ ] (write-in)

As for the matter of magical interactions with ghosts and the existence of hidden passages in the castle, Shinji finds his interest piqued. He resolves to find out more, given that he wants to be ready next time he encounters a troublesome spirit.

[ ] Check the library for information with Natsumi
    [ ] Ask the Fat Friar
    [ ] Write a letter to his grandfather (as the Matou specialize in binding)
    [ ] Ask Miyuki-senpai for what she's heard
    [ ] Investigate the hidden passage in Myrtle's bathroom and see if he can find a mechanism to enter it
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 2nd, 2018 at 03:08 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    She spun!

[x] The Lake.

[x] Write a letter to his grandfather.

I would settle even for an inferior version of command seals.

[x] The Lake.

[x] Write a letter to his grandfather.

[x] The Lake
    [x] Write a letter to his grandfather

I would like to investigate the hidden passageway, but given that A0 path likely leads to certain death, B) frustration when Shinji struggles to open it up, and C) we were suppose to be shooting for a family route.

So I guess I am obligated to go with the family option here and put our money where our mouth is. That and to not start another damned fool idealistic crusade.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 2nd, 2018 at 05:54 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you're curious, btw, here are the First Years listed as passing the challenge from each house.

Hufflepuff*
    Shinji Matou
    Natsumi Suzuki
    Ernest Macmillan

Ravenclaw
    Sialim Sokaris
    Nigel Wroxton

Gryffindor
    Amber Noel
    Phelan Noel

Slytherin
    Selina Moore

*Due to Hufflepuff gaining the most points in the challenge, students in the first year DADA course will receive a one-time waiver for any single assignment.

Further, at some point in the year, Quirrell will be reaching out to all those who passed to see if they would be interested in additional training above and beyond the usual year-one curriculum. Of note, most of the people on the list are Muggleborn, with the exception of Matou Shinji (half-blood), Ernest (pureblood), and Sialim Sokaris (unknown).
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 2nd, 2018 at 08:21 PM.

[x] The Lake
    [x] Write a letter to his grandfather

I'm still want to ask to the house elves about secret places in the school, but we better use that option when Shinji need to find a place to learn more about occlumency

Blog Entries
    Quirrell's Army; fallen blood, dark powers and underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    I would like to investigate the hidden passageway, but given that A0 path likely leads to certain death, B) frustration when Shinji struggles to open it up, and C) we were suppose to be shooting for a family route.
    Yeah, not much point in checking it so early.

It's good enough to remember that there's a secret passageway / compartment there.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Where to? [x] The Lake
    And for information? [x] Write a Letter to Grandfather

The second week of classes is marked by two interesting things - first, Sprout asking the students in her Herbology classes (Ravenclaw/Slytherin, Gryffindor/Hufflepuff) to pick a partner to work with until Halloween, at which point, they will have the opportunity to choose a new one. Ideally, their partner will not be someone from their own House, to facilitate students getting to know one another, and practice teamwork.

Being the three Hufflepuffs who "passed" Quirrell's little examination, Shinji, Natsumi, and Ernie find themselves swarmed by a number of Gryffindors, all of whom think excellence in one class automatically will translate into others. A few manage to push themselves to the front of the crowd, however.

One is a rather loud-mouthed boy with a mop of red-hair, who seemed bored to be here and just is trying to get things over with. Another is a dark-haired boy who mumbles something about a long bottom, and keeps looking down at his feet. A third is a dark haired girl who seems rather tall for her age, who looks over the three of them curiously. And the fourth and fifth, who don't so much push their way to the front of the crowd as much as the crowd parts for them, are obviously twins, who introduce themselves as Amber and Phelan Noel - the two Gryffindor first years who passed Quirrell's exam.

Who would Shinji like to work with?

[ ] The bored redheaded boy
    [ ] The shy dark-haired boy
    [ ] The tall dark-haired girl
    [ ] One of the twins

The second event of note is the beginning of Flying lessons - Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw and Slytherin/Gryffindor. By the end of the first class, students will be asked to choose a partner for the term, with whom can work and make sure the other person is doing well.

Does Shinji...

[ ] Approach one of his friends
    [ ] See if the Sokaris girl is available
    [ ] Corner Granger and ask her what the hell happened in the library
    [ ] Just see if anyone approaches him
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 4th, 2018 at 01:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    [x] The shy dark-haired boy.

Neville would be a solid partner for Herbology. Especially if we want to keep Slughorn's interest or help out Miyuki on her project at some point.

[x]Just see if anyone approaches him.

Hermione would end up in an accident I fear. Sokaris probably wouldn't be specifically motivated here.

So, it's either a Hufflepuff friend or a random Ravenclaw. I choose the latter because it's a shared class, let's use this to get a bird on our side.

[X] The shy dark-haired boy
    [X] Just see if anyone approaches him

Maybe I am just searching for a reason to pick Neville here due to this being the herbology skills (which adds fuel to Hermione thinking Shinji is using others to get ahead), but I have to say that Shinji has quiet a bit in common with the boy. Both suffer from lack of parents in their life (thought in Shinji's cast it was from his father's lack of caring), have powerful grandparent that controls their life and both suffer from a lack of self esteem. Neville fits in well with the group on that front.

I am curious on who would approach Shinji enought to pick it. Natsumi seems like the most likely answers really but there are several Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws that Shinji does not know yet. I suspect that it would be an Hufflepuff that approaches him to be frank.

Blog Entries
    It's just that I can't picture Shinji picking the one who looks bored (sorry Ron). The twins having passed Quirrell's test, won't have trouble finding decent partners. The shy guy is a curiosity since he went through the effort to force his way through in spite of his apparent lack of self-esteem. It is either him or the tall girl for me.

The twins could be interesting people to approach later, however.

I'm fine with anyone for Flying Lessons really, as long as it's a new person.

I can't say not to Neville "I'm awesome" Longbotton.

RIP Ron, no hard feelings

Who's tall girl though

BTW let's keep in mind that those who we won't pick will probably work with Ernie and/or Natsumi

No way are we gonna corner Hermione in a public space when we sacrificed keeping our knowledge of Occlumency secret just so we can make it up to her, she'll probably stress out/crash/hate us even more for injuring her or something

Sokaris gives no fucks, and we already kinda sorta built an acquaintance-y relationship

Imo, rather make more friends instead of sticking to our core friend group
    More friends=more fun

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Herbology 101

Shinji, curious about the seeming incongruity of a shy boy pushing himself through the crowd, chooses to work with the boy who, on second introduction seems to be named Longbottom, as opposed to having an obsession with long bottoms.

'I'm glad we cleared that up,' the boy thinks with some amusement. 'Otherwise, it would be a little...awkward.'

Not that Longbottom himself wasn't awkward, but he'd take what small blessing he could get.

Natsumi ends up working with Amber Noel, and Ernie with Phelan, leaving the bored redhead to pair up with a heavyset ginger by the name of Susan Bones, while the tall, dark-haired girl ended up working with some fellow by the name of Preece.

This week, half of the groups will be working with basic spells like Incendio and the Severing Charm, while the other half will be learning the basics of working with magical plants. The groups will be switched the week after.

Which does Shinji want to begin with?

[ ] Spells
    [ ] Plants

Broomhandling

By the end of class, almost everyone has chosen a partner, pairing off one by one as they met their match in the air or - at the very least - got their brooms to jump into their hands and hover in the air. Shinji, with his mind still a bit troubled by the gaps his memory, has some small issues, and find himself as one of the last four people to not have a partner.

One of these is Sokaris, the dusky skinned foreigner he worked with for potions, and he is just turning to her when the boy beside her, a rather frail looking youth with very pale skin, greyish hair, and pale grey eyes, looks at her with a shy smile.

"You sure you don't mind?" the other boy asks, seeming almost embarrassed. "I...I don't want to hold you back."

"You are not," the dusky-skinned witch replies, her voice making the other boy perk up. "It is no trouble, Nigel."

'Nigel?' Shinji thinks to himself, his eyes widening as he remembers where he saw the name. 'Wait...he was on the list.'

Nigel Wroxton. One of the two Ravenclaws to have passed Quirrell's challenge - presumably as Sokaris' partner.

Looking to see who the last person was, he noticed that it was a rather frustrated bushy-haired brunette who was still trying to get the broom to jump into his hand.

'Granger.'

It seemed the fates had played an interesting trick on him, given what happened last week. Perhaps he would finally get some answers, since it seemed they would be working together for the rest of the semester.

Steeling his resolve, he walks over to the girl, who is so focused on her broom that she doesn't notice his approach.

"Granger," he says, as he touches her arm, and is rewarded with the sight of her flinching back with a shriek, her face twisting into a rictus of terror as she falls to the ground and tries to scramble away. He steps forward, and the girl begins to scream, only to cut herself off as his expression twists into one of annoyance.

Before he can do anything else, his line of sight is blocked, as Sialim Sokaris walks past him, over to the girl, and crouches beside her.

What the two of them say, he can't quite make out, but Granger passes out moments later.

"...well, that's not going to do at all," a voice murmurs from close to him, with Shinji turning his head to see the frail form of Nigel Wroxton standing there. "Did you do something to her?"

"No!" Shinji exclaims. "I mean, no. Not that I can remember."

The other boy sighs.

"I'll warn you, I won't be much of a partner, and I'd much rather work with Sialim, since she knows my circumstances," he says quietly. "But its clear that you and Granger aren't going to work out. So. I suppose...I should offer," Nigel adds, with a bone weary sigh.

What will Shinji do...?

[ ] Accept Nigel's (reluctant) offer
    [ ] Suggest Nigel work with Granger instead
    [ ] Let Madam Hooch know about the situation
    [ ] Thank Nigel for his offer, but you and Granger can live with working together for a single class - he thinks
    [ ] Volunteer to take Granger to the infirmary - it's time to get to the bottom of this nonsense
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 4th, 2018 at 01:30 AM.

[x] Plants
    [x] Suggest Nigel work with Granger instead

[X] Plants

Spells would be nice but its probably better for Shinji to see Neville at his strong subject before writing him off. That and learning the basics on plants should be useful during his consultation with Miyuki in the greenhouse.

[X] Volunteer to take Granger to the infirmary - it's time to get to the bottom of this nonsense

I am well aware that I will likely regret this action rather than simply just taking the offer and/or avoiding Hermione like the plague but I have had enough of this shit. I would like it if Shinji would at least find out why someone fears him so much and maybe just maybe at least get to the point that Hermione can be in the same room as Shinji without fainting. I don't care if they ever become friends but this is getting out of hand.

I am somewhat annoyed that we did try to avoid Hermione to not start this drama but we still ended up with her. We wanted to met new people, yet we run into her. Why does everything always seem to revolve around her? She just one person, whom maybe makes up at best a tenth of the Ravenclaw 1st year population. Yet she just keeps cropping up at ever turn. We have had only two people in Hufflepuff that Shinji has even interacted with in his year and are now up to a whole three Ravenclaw members, no Slytherins (but that more luck of the classes that pair together, plus what Slytherin hangs out with a Puff) and one Gryffindor.

In the interest of being fair, picking the library as a place to go is likely to almost always result in Hermione as she basically lives there. Ok fine. And any interaction with Sokaris will make Hermione jealous due to being insecure. And when thinking of people most likely to not be picked by others, Hermione (1st year version) is at the top of the list. Fine, I get that. But she is just one person in a sea of characters.

Hermione might be the most developed Harry Potter character around and popular so lends herself to be a focus but that version was Gryffindor that had a lot of her rough traits either glossed over or filed down over time. Ravenclaw Hermione has almost none of her bravery but is left with just her books, knowledge and no real friends in either version here. She needs to complete several character arcs before she becomes an useful character.

I am almost to the point where if Hermione's live was endangered I would just let her die but I would be afraid that she would haunt Shinji for the rest of his time at Hogwarts ala Myrtle. Or at least until Shinji finds a way to deal with ghosts.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 3rd, 2018 at 12:11 PM.