Page 22 of 91 FirstFirst ... 12172021222324273272 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[x] Ask Quirrell to go first

Ok Quirrell you want to play well let's play.

Jesus what the hell happened when I was gone

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

The man turns and descends into the darkness with an artful grace that Shinji had not anticipated, though the boy realizes that he can't exactly tell if Quirrell made it down or not. He can't hear anything from below, after all - which makes him wonder if there is some kind of spell that dampens out any sounds coming from within.

'Fitting for a place called the Chamber of Secrets,'
    he thinks to himself. And if there was something like that, in place...

A chill runs through him at the thought that perhaps Quirrell had been right. Perhaps there were dangers afoot in that unexplored subterranean passage - perhaps even the same beast that once killed Myrtle Warren.

If so, then maybe the Defense Professor had only meant well when the man had offered to check on his friends, while asking him to remain behind in the Headmasters' office. The man seemed reasonable enough, by magus standards, anyway, and he admitted that he had judged the man severely - perhaps more than he deserved, given the sheer brutality of the challenge that ha been presented to the class.

'Down I go,' he resolves, and heaves himself into the pipe, sliding down, down, down into the gloom.

It was like rushing down an endless, slimy, dark slide. He could see pipes branching off in every direction, though none as large as the one he was going down, twisting and turning, sloping steeply downwards, and somehow Shinj knew that he was descending down into the secret depths of the school, lower even than the dungeons.

He'd begun to worry if this was a trap - if this really led anywhere besides, oh, the bottom of the Black Lake or something, when the pipe leveled out and he shot out the end with a thud, landing in an undignified heap on the floor of a stone tunnel large enough to stand in.

Or at least, he thought it was a tunnel - the darkness was oppressive, and he couldn't really see.

'And without a wand, I can't conjure light either...'

He could only use the abilities that Mopsus granted him to feel the walls, groping his way forward as a blind man might.

'There's only one way forward, so forward I go...'

The pounding of his heart thundered in his ears, seemingly all the louder in the silence of the subterranean world. His footsteps sounded like gunshots, as--

Crunch!

Shinji's heart almost leapt out of his chest at the sudden, sickening sound, with the boy beginning to hyperventillate in the gloom as he wondered what that was.

'Calm down. Calm down. Quirrell came here first. Surely he dealt with any traps. It should be safe...'

So he thought, before his senses told him something was before him, something smooth and scaly...

'Snakeskin? What on earth...?'

Ignoring it, the boy continues on, further into the darkness, as the tunnel turned and shifted before him, every sound one that whispered of danger, of secrets never to be told, of the end that awaited all those who came here without preparation, without permission. If this was the chamber of secrets, then what better way to keep a secret, than to kill those who'd learned it.

Was that why Myrtle had died? Because she'd learned about the sink? Because she had become an...inconvenience to be disposed of?

...was he next?

He steps forward, turning once again, just as a pulse of pure white light washes over him.

It fills his vision, banishing the gloom and blinding the boy for several long moments, as it sheer intensity washed over him. If this is a trap, then Matou Shinji is dead, as he cannot see and thus cannot really defend himself against whatever enemy attacked him in his vulnerable state. Any moment, the boy expects to feel a surge of agony, or the pain of something tearing him apart - perhaps teeth, perhaps venom, perhaps a spell that corrodes his body from the inside out, but there is none of that. Indeed, when his vision returns, there are no threats to be seen in the room, just the figure of Quirinus Quirrell standing before a wall engraved with two entwined serpents, their eyes set with great, glinting emeralds.

...and the badly mauled bodies of his friends, Ernie and Phelan, crumpled on the floor.

"You see, Mister Matou, if you'd remained at the Headmaster's Office, you could have told him where I went," the man says quietly, looking up at the boy as he walks slowly into the circle of wandlight. "That perhaps he could have sent his phoenix to retrieve us, since the pipe is...perhaps not something we can climb through."

"...Ah." Shinji winces. "Are we...trapped?"

Quirrell lets the question hang in the air, as he wont to do, before answering.

"Of course not," Quirrell says, after Shinji had begun to work himself into a frenzy. "I made sure to create a Portkey which will take me - and those I am touching, back to my office. Even if apparition will not work here at Hogwarts, there are other things that will."

"I...see," Shinji notes, his eyes narrowing. "Is it possible to learn this power?"

"Not...as you are," the Defense Professor states. "You do not have the discipline or the sheer amount of will. At least, not yet."

Turning back to look at Ernie and Phelan, he is relieved to see that they are still breathing - if only just barely. It unnerves him how they look pale - so very pale.

"Are they...?"

"They were attacked by a pack of Gytrashes, it seems - feral spirits who linger in darkness and embody a crude sense of hunger," Quirrell explains, pointing to the rather severe bites - some falling just short of the throats of the boys. "Six of them. As you may recall from class, they are ambush predators who are only weak to light. Sadly, as you and your colleagues were under the effects of Mopsus, none of you could even muster a wand-lighting spell."

"Ah..."

"I will give your friends credit for their fast reflexes, as they stopped the first four Gytrashes to attack them, holding them in place with their fields of force, but the issue with Mopsus is that one's ability to control things with one's mind is limited by one's imagination. And being only...human, your friends thought of their powers as extensions of their arms and legs. As a shield perhaps - a plane of force one might use to block an attack or walk upon. But nothing more than that. And so, though they stopped the first attack - they could not stop the second. At least, not before taking severe injuries. Mister Noel is much worse off, given the damage to his soul, and like poor Argus, is on the very brink of death. Mister Macmillan is rather more fortunate, though he, too is badly injured, and will die without treatment more advanced than I can provide here - and soon."

"So...what you're saying is..."

"We will return to the infirmary, via portkey, with your friends in tow. Hopefully, Poppy will have returned, or Albus at least, but if not, if the worst possible fate should come about, then tell me, which one do you wish me to save? The Hufflepuff, or the Gryffindor? Choose wisely, Mister Matou."

Who does Matou Shinji wish Quirrell to save?

[ ] Ernie Macmillan
    [ ] Phelan Noel
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 24th, 2018 at 12:09 PM.

[x] Ernie Macmillan

Damm it.
    I know than something is gonna happen to them.

I could try to pick the one to safe here based on who they are, who they related to and all that. Hufflepuff first or a powerful noble household that Shinji does not want to piss off. But I shall not on that front.

But really I have to say you treat the medical person that is in the most critical position first, now while you can. Unless Quirrell can not possible save him in which case you save who you can.

[X] Phelan Noel

I would remind people that had we jumped down into this mess earlier we would just be another victim. Same with if we throw a wandless Hermione down there. Now the choice to have Quirrell not going down there asap I can owe up to.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    I would remind people that had we jumped down into this mess earlier we would just be another victim.
    Technically, with three people, the Gytrashes could have been stalemated, while you waited for rescue.

Of course, Filch would almost certainly have died.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 24th, 2018 at 12:35 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Ernie Macmillan

[X] Phelan Noel

Blog Entries
    Well, that bathroom choice sure bite us in the end. Thought we would get another funny moment on the second exploring event, but the persistence about discovering the chamber cost much. Aiming beyond our reach, I suppose. Maybe there's a lesson there.

Going back with the professor meant jack when it came to how useful Shinji was. In fact, it only did us a disservice, 'cause Shinji has effectively been brainwashed by Quirrell. Plus, now he has to decide who gets to live. More mental strain when he was trying to recover. Great.

On top of that, Dumbledore could have rushed there, teleported with the boys to St Mungo and likely save both, if he knew where they were. But he won't, because nobody stayed behind to tell him.

In short, a good case of screw up. If Ernie dies, Natsumi, and the rest of the House, will be royally upset. If it's Phelan, you trigger Amber and the Gryffs. Whichever ends up picked; RIP Shinji's reputation.

Not going to vote on this one. Do what you want.

[x] Ernie Macmillan

Well, personally I think it's just Quirrell's Kobayashi Maru version. He reproaches us that we should've waited and informed Albus? Sure, sensei, but you were there too - and knew about the students as well.

Well, we still can save both of them if Dumbledore or Pomfrey are in infirmary or will return before Phelan and Ernie die. Phelan have worse condition so I voted for him and we have more chances to save both.
    I honestly don't understand why Quirrell asking that right now istead of returning to infirmary as fast as possible and asking if both Dumbledore and Pomfrey are gone. Except if it is indeed some sort of test.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desann View Post
    I honestly don't understand why Quirrell asking that right now istead of returning to infirmary as fast as possible and asking if both Dumbledore and Pomfrey are gone. Except if it is indeed some sort of test.
    It's a simple question. What if they are gone? Who will he choose who to save if Shinji panics? Perhaps he's just trying to respect Shinji's choice.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    [X] Ernie Macmillan

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Ernie Macmillan

On the surface, it sounded like such a simple choice. Which one should be saved? And yet...by choosing who would be saved, he was also choosing who would die. Choosing which of his friends would never have the chance to laugh again. To go on an adventure again. To see their family again. Or their friends. To never realize their dreams.

For a dark moment, the boy almost wished one of the two had already died before he'd arrived, because it would have spared him the weight of such a choice.

'No. That's wrong. I shouldn't...'

But his treacherous thoughts would not be held back, for he could not forget who he had wished had already been dead.

It made him feel sick, that he'd thought for even a fleeting moment that things would be easier if Phelan hadn't been found alive.

'Murderer...' some part of him whispered.

"No. I'm..."

'Murderer...' it came again.

"Well, Mister Matou? Which one shall it be? Mister Noel of Gryffindor? Or your good friend, Mister Macmillan? Choose now."

"Macmillan," Shinji said, almost spat out, as agony rippled through him, and Quirrell simply nodded, as he knelt between the boys and grabbed their ankles with pale hands.

"Very well then," Quirrell directed, as he took hold of the two. "Grab onto my robes, or onto one of your colleagues. We go. Now."

The boy did so, just as the Portkey engaged, with the boy feeling like someone had strung a metal hook behind his navel and had ripped him through space and time, entrails first.

He almost screamed - save that he could not breathe, feeling like he was hurtling forward at some incredible rate - only to crash into the ground with a thud as he materialized, whereupon he emptied the contents of his stomach.

"Come along, Mister Matou," Quirrell intoned, looking at Shinji expectantly as the boy slowly managed to get to his feet. "I can't carry both Macmillan and Noel. I'll take Macmillan - you take the other, and follow me."

Shinji lifted the mangled body of Phelan Noel with care, trying not to feel guilty about the fact that the boy would soon be a corpse if neither Madam Pomfrey or Headmaster Dumbledore were at the infirmary. The fact that because of him, Amber would no longer have a brother. The Gryffindors a friend.

'They'll hate me...'

As they would have every reason to, given that he would effectively be Phelan's murderer. What happened to Filch - well, that was an accident. But Phelan...Quirrell could save him. But...

If only...

No.

But, maybe...

No.

There was no point.

There was no way to avoid it. One would die, and one would live.

'Please. If there's some way...any way...'

He shouldn't have tried to save Filch. He shouldn't have valued someone who was...only a hindrance. If he could have just let Filch die, then...

"We're here," Quirrell said, opening the door to the infirmary to find a very tired, very old looking Albus Dumbledore. "Albus. Two more in critical condition. And Argus?"

"Dead," the Headmaster replied flatly. "What...?"

"The Chamber of Secrets," Quirrell answered, with Dumbledore looking utterly shocked. "Attacked by Gytrashes. I've done what I can, but..."

"Wait in my office," the old man directed, some resolve seeming to fill his fragile seeming frame. "I will take these two to St. Mungo's..."

In another flash of fire, he was gone, along with Phelan and Ernie, leaving Matou Shinji alone with the Defense Professor.

"I doubt they would have been back, if Argus' condition had been in doubt," Quirrell noted grimly. "The math remains the same. One dies, that one might live. Only that death is no longer something you have to bear on your conscience."

Shinji thought there was something wrong with that statement, since he had just wished that he had let Filch die instead, but he could not find it in himself to care, with everything else drowned out by a sense of relief - and joy - joy that it was someone else who died, joy that he would not be responsible for telling Amber her brother was...

"Yes. You should rejoice, Matou Shinji," Quirrell observed, "for your wish, has been granted. Come. We'll wait for the Headmaster in his office, hm?"

Shinji nodded, following silently as the Defense Professor led him away.

What does he tell Dumbledore, when the man arrives?

[ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 24th, 2018 at 08:54 PM.

[x] (write-in) Tell Dumbledore that it was his, Shinji's idea to explore the haunted bathroom unwillingly lead to the death of caretaker, injuries of two students and Hermione's wand snapped.

Something between taking responsibility and PTSD from the recent events.

Lets not set out to take the fall.

[] Tell Dumbledore that the three of you decided to go exploring for secret passages and having previously discovered that there was one in myrtle's bathroom decided to try to open it, when Myrtle threw a fit and Filch came he got injured by debris and then Hermione appeared to attack you, you defended yourself and her wand was broken in the struggle, you then immediately rushed to get Filch help and were found on the way by Quirrel who helped you take him to the infirmary.

Also, Alf, really going all in with the star wars references aren't you? How long until shinji loses a hand and Quirrelmort replaces it with a silver magical prosthetic while revealing he used to date his mom?

It seems like this story is the low/dark fantasy to its counterpart's high/light fantasy. Or we are just terrible at this. Or both.

edit:
    [x] Give an accurate account of the events as he saw them happening and protect Ernie and Phelan from possible punishment* by shouldering the blame. Claim that it was his idea to use Mopsus and (through its seer power) discovered something suspicious was behind the sink, thus deciding to remove it. Mention that Hermione Granger attacked him, mistakenly thinking he had wounded the caretaker on purpose, so he broke her wand. After all, if she had paralyzed him, he couldn't help Filch.
    Last edited by Cassius; January 25th, 2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Lets not set out to take the fall.

[x] Tell Dumbledore that the three of you decided to go exploring for secret passages and having previously discovered that there was one in myrtle's bathroom decided to try to open it, when Myrtle threw a fit and Filch came he got injured by debris and then Hermione appeared to attack you, you defended yourself and her wand was broken in the struggle, you then immediately rushed to get Filch help and were found on the way by Quirrel who helped you take him to the infirmary.

Also, Alf, really going all in with the star wars references aren't you? How long until shinji loses a hand and Quirrelmort replaces it with a silver magical prosthetic while revealing he used to date his mom?

It seems like this story is the low/dark fantasy to its counterpart's high/light fantasy. Or we are just terrible at this. Or both.
    No, we are just terrible

Seriously, I leave this forum for a few days and then I come back to find that now we've managed to:
    A. Kill a guy
    B. Further traumatise Hermione & irrepairably damage our relationship
    C. Get another guy killed
    D. Get our best buddy horribly maimed
    E. Probably ruined our entire reputation and existing social links
    F. Destroyed all of pur previous choices (except choosing to go to the bathroom in the 1st place, dear god why, & the rest of the mindboggling choices after that choice like what the hell)

And I thought this would be a cool alternate change of pace from the currently bonkers main story, and we were on the right track somewhat, but now we've literally fucked the entire story up lol
    Last edited by Haunter; January 25th, 2018 at 10:48 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter View Post
    No, we are just terrible

Seriously, I leave this forum for a few days and then I come back to find that now we've managed to:
    A. Kill a guy
    B. Further traumatise Hermione & irrepairably damage our relationship
    C. Get another guy killed
    D. Get our best buddy horribly maimed
    E. Probably ruined our entire reputation and existing social links
    F. Destroyed all of pur previous choices (except choosing to go to the bathroom in the 1st place, dear god why, & the rest of the mindboggling choices after that choice like what the hell)
    The only one who died was Filch. Which, incidentally, was why Dumbledore returned in time to take the other two to St. Mungo's.

Shinji's choice would have determined which of the two boys died if Filch had lived, and Dumbledore not returned in time, but as it was, the main impact on him was that he made a choice.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 25th, 2018 at 10:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Give an accurate account of the events as he saw them happening and protect Ernie and Phelan from possible punishment* by shouldering the blame. Claim that it was his idea to use Mopsus and (through its seer power) discovered something suspicious was behind the sink, thus deciding to remove it. Mention that Hermione Granger attacked him, mistakenly thinking he had wounded the caretaker on purpose, so he broke her wand. After all, if she had paralyzed him, he couldn't help Filch.

*Even if they aren't likely to get a sanction, it matters for Dumbledore when he will think of what to do with Shinji. Even if he doesn't believe the boy, he can certainly understand that he was only trying to protect his companions.

I think that's the essential covered.
    Last edited by Daiki; January 25th, 2018 at 11:19 AM.