Page 31 of 91 FirstFirst ... 21262930313233364181 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    +1

- - - Updated - - -

OG thread was too big for me to catch up on but I can join in on this one at least.
    Cool! Welcome aboard.

In terms of things that are not quite votes, I am also accepting suggestions for what Shinji should be giving to people for Christmas, as well as what Quirrell should give to Shinji.

For example, Ernie will be getting an invisibility cloak from Quirrell, with Phelan to receive a short-sword of goblin-make.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 18th, 2018 at 09:39 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Either one, depending who invites him

As for Shinji's gift, I would prefer this Cast-a-way Spell Kit, heavily modded it can solve a couple of Shinji's issues. For example, toss in a small futon into the corner of the place, and bam, Shinji no longer has to sleep in the nosy Hufflepuff shared room. Just have the kit on his Hogwarts bed and close the curtains.

It gives Shinji his own corner as a retreat for him to work on stuff he does not want to showcase to others, or that should not be done in front of most people such as curses. It will never equal the RoR as a learning area but it can at least act as a study room for him to have an Ravenclaw perk in Hufflepuff.

OF course the old (somewhat bad) fanfic standby of a multi compartment trunk set up with its compartments as living areas/work areas does the same and usually better but this is not Shinji flooded with cash for a custom crafted crazy super magical item.

If we borrow the mechanic that we used when Rin had to pick the type of Mystic Codex in BC, I would say that Shinji would do better with an gift that utilitarian in nature verses something that helps his offense or defense. We are still building the bedrock basics skillset for Shinji, so he is not quite ready for something heavily focused on offensive or defensive.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    OF course the old (somewhat bad) fanfic standby of a multi compartment trunk set up with its compartments as living areas/work areas does the same and usually better but this is not Shinji flooded with cash for a custom crafted crazy super magical item.
    I mean, such a trunk is possible to create, but it would be a time/labor intensive custom job, not something you could buy off the shelf. As well, such a thing would likely be hard to open from the inside, due to such cases most often being crafted for magizoologists like Newt Scamander (and you really don't want things in your case escaping, as the Fantastic Beasts movie demonstrates). And even if it can be opened from the inside by some trick (again, more expensive), the other issue with such a case is if someone locks it from the outside, then you're kind of screwed.

I am online and available for discussions.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 18th, 2018 at 11:01 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Either one, depending who invites him

Given the things that have happened in the last few months, what with the rather painful end he experienced in Quirrell's last challenge, as well as what ended up happening with the Chamber of Secrets incident and his abject failure to see through Slughorn's game at Halloween, Shinji's enthusiasm for death-defying adventures isn't quite as high as it once was - nor his confidence that he would be able to complete either of these challenges. Still, the right team can make up for quite a few things, and he does want a chance at that extra portion of Basilisk Skin, if only to give it away as a gift, since he's having trouble coming up with something else Miyuki-senpai might appreciate now that he lost the chance at winning Liquid Luck for her.

Fortunately, given that he is the "Hero of the Chamber", as some call him, some (a decent many) are willing to work with him. Unfortunately, neither Sokaris nor Nigel seem to be participating this time around. In Nigel's case, this is due to him being rather certain that he would not be capable of contributing much to a large-scale scenario like this one, with his weak constitution, while in Sokaris' case - well, Shinji doesn't ask, and the girl doesn't tell, though Shinji suspects that her motives aren't quite the same as her partner's.

The three groups are as follows:

Offer 1
    Amber Noel & Natsumi Suzuki - the Defense of Hos

Offer 2
    Phelan Noel & Ron Weasley - Surviving the Crash

Offer 3
    Ernie Macmillan & Selina Moore - the Defense of Hos

Which offer does he accept?

[ ] Offer 1
    [ ] Offer 2
    [ ] Offer 3
    [ ] None of these

Current list of Gift Suggestions: (still accepting more!)
    - Small, portable pensieve, with a "clear contents" feature.
    - Cast-a-way Spell Kit
    - Goblin-made bangle
    - ???
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 19th, 2018 at 01:30 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] Offer 3

Go for Ernie.

Blog Entries
    [X] Offer 1

[X] Offer 1

For sure. He might not be the hero of that run or be the leader but you don't have to always be the star to contribute. It is the team I think he would listen to the others the most.

But I have to say I laugh at Offer 2, that run would be amusing as hell to watch even if its very likely to go horrible. I am sure it would be a good test of Shinji's medical supplies. And honestly, with Offer 2 even getting to the finish line would be a bigger achievement than winning with the other offers. Even more so if he can somehow keep Phelen alive. Not that I think others at Hogwarts would see it as a big achievement...well Amber would.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 19th, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Offer 1

For sure. But I have to say I laugh at Offer 2, that run would be amusing as hell to watch even if very likely to go horrible.
    Who knows what they will get up to alone? Maybe they'll recruit someone Quirrell recommends. Or maybe they'll split up.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Who knows what they will get up to alone? Maybe they'll recruit someone Quirrell recommends. Or maybe they'll split up.
    And thus how Hermione found a group to work with. Quirrell sold them on her abilities since he personally trained her. Probably some line about how she is Shinji's equal.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 19th, 2018 at 12:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Split between team 1 and 3.

I know that Ernie & Shinji aren't likely to do as good as a pairing between Natsumi and Amber but, I'm curious what Selina could come up with for this. Besides, we haven't started interacting with the Slytherin yet.

[x] Offer 3.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Current list of Gift Suggestions: (still accepting more!)
    - Small, portable pensieve, with a "clear contents" feature.
    - Cast-a-way Spell Kit
    - ???
    Does that mean no goblin-made bangle or pendant?
    Last edited by Daiki; February 19th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And honestly, with Offer 2 even getting to the finish line would be a bigger achievement than winning with the other offers. Even more so if he can somehow keep Phelen alive. Not that I think others at Hogwarts would see it as a big achievement...well Amber would.
    There is a much higher base score for completing Surviving the Crash than the Defense of Hos. This is part of why Phelan is going for it - that and the assumption that nature isn't dangerous, enemies are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Does that mean no goblin-made bangle or pendant?
    Added to the list.

I'll be online for discussions.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 19th, 2018 at 02:35 PM.

[x] Offer 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So far, the results look like this...

[2] Offer 1
    [0] Offer 2 (LOL)
    [3] Offer 3

Since its likely that a Defense of Hos group will be winning, I suppose I should elaborate on the roles you can play in this scenario.

1) Base Commander - Tasked with handling overall strategic command of the situation, managing available forces and deploying them to meet enemy movements, while ensuring that the evacuation proceeds.

2)
    Logistics Coordinator - For the duration of this scenario, in charge of the evacuation convoys and directly responsible for the forces protecting them / when to send out the magic carpets.

3) Squadron Leader, Hos Broom Wing - Taking this role places you in charge of Hos' elite broom squadron, which will be tasked with raids, running interference against the enemy's attempts to break through, etc. A skilled flyer is recommended.

4) Artillery Officer - Directs the base "large scale" defenses - a pair of mighty trebuchets, each of which are capable of lobbing orbs filled with what amount of magical napalm a fair distance, as well as the crews which man them and protect them.

5) Wall Commander - Directs the majority of the wizard troops manning the fortifications.

Whatever role the team-members do not take will be claimed by NPCs.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 20th, 2018 at 12:43 AM.

[X] Offer 3

[x] offer 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Offer 3 - Ernie Macmillan & Selina Moore - the Defense of Hos

Knowing of Natsumi and Amber's competence, especially when working together, Matou Shinji was quite tempted to work with them, something that he imagined would have all but guaranteed victory. And yet...at the same time, there was a part of the boy that wanted to show what he could do in a way that he didn't think he could if he joined what was possibly the strongest team.

'I mean, I'm probably being an idiot for not joining them, but if so, that's my choice. I have my pride, after all.'

Whatever pride was worth in the end.

Still, he wasn't about to join Phelan in challenging Surviving the Crash, given that the Gryffindor boy was not known for his...restraint and wisdom, to put it mildly. That, and while it might see like a grand adventure to go traipsing through a misty, swampy land, facing who knew what dangers on the way as one made for safety, the very fact that he had no survival training and would have no wand made him very wary indeed. He'd seen what could happen if one was caught unaware, without some way to defend oneself from a threat - and having talked to Nigel, he knew that most modern brooms (non-racing) tended to move at a top speed of about 95-115 kilometers per hour.

Thus, a destination an hour away by broom...was not an hour away on foot, something that he feared Phelan had overlooked in his...enthusiasm. And while humans, which were capable of walking long distances when push came to shove, could theoretically cover even that span in a day - things like terrain, thirst, hunger, body condition, and basic safety tended to interfere.

'I'll see how Ernie is doing then...'

He figured between his friend and the artificer girl from Slytherin, they'd be on the right track.

During the basic briefing, Quirrell outlines the command/coordination roles they can play in the scenario, though he does mention that they are free to just go about as a detached unit if they wish, though this will mean command falls to NPCs.

The roles are as follows:

1. Base Commander - Tasked with handling overall strategic command of the situation, managing available forces and deploying them to meet enemy movements, while ensuring that the evacuation proceeds.
    2. Logistics Coordinator - For the duration of this scenario, in charge of the evacuation convoys and directly responsible for the forces protecting them / when to send out the magic carpets.
    3. Squadron Leader, Hos Broom Wing - Taking this role places you in charge of Hos' elite broom squadron, which will be tasked with raids, running interference against the enemy's attempts to break through, etc. A skilled flyer is recommended.
    4. Artillery Officer - Directs the base "large scale" defenses - a pair of mighty trebuchets, each of which are capable of lobbing orbs filled with what amount of magical napalm a fair distance, as well as the crews which man them and protect them.
    5. Wall Commander - Directs the majority of the wizard troops manning the fortifications.

Selina indicates an interest in the Base Commander position, while Ernie is interested in either Logistics Coordinator or Wall Commander.

Which role is Shinji most interested in playing?

[ ] Base Commander
    [ ] Logistics Coordinator
    [ ] Squadron Leader
    [ ] Artillery Officer
    [ ] Wall Commander

[x] Logistics Coordinator

Be the one that the Base Commander goes to to get things done, without having to be the one that actually carries the onus of responsibility.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Vote Still Open - See end of chapter

Chapter 14. Mudbloods and Commoners

The Monday after Halloween, Matou Shinji found himself nervous beyond words as he stood beside Quirinus Quirrell, the Defense Professor of Hogwarts, on a stage that had been hastily constructed in the atrium of the Ministry of Magic, as an unfamiliar man – apparently a famed adventurer and author – spoke of the legacy and meaning of the Order of Merlin, of how it was the highest honor of Wizarding Britain, and how, on this day, two more would be welcomed into its ranks.

‘Everyone’s looking at me…’
    he thought, feeling the eyes of the audience glancing at him curiously, wondering what he could have done to be up on that stage – or maybe thinking that his shimmering dress robes were a bit too eye-catching for such a formal ceremony. ‘Me…even though I don’t deserve to be here…’

When Professor Quirrell had first asked him to join him for an outing to the Ministry that was related to the Chamber Incident, Shinji had feared the worst: that he was to be charged with the death of Filch after all, with Quirrell going out of his way to bring Shinji in himself, so that the boy wouldn’t have to suffer the embarrassment of being placed under arrest in front of his peers.

“No, that’s not it,” the man had reassured him. “Since you were the last person to see Argus alive, and one of the few people who cared if he lived or died, I thought it would be fitting if you could participate in a small ceremony to honor the man’s life. Perhaps even say a few words.”

“I…” Shinji had begun, only to trail off, clearly uncertain of what to do. It wasn’t as if he had known the man, after all, and it felt…wrong to attend the funeral of a man whose death he had wished for. “I’m not sure…”

“If it makes you feel better, you may invite someone to come with you for moral support,” the man had allowed after noting the boy’s unease. “But no more than that.”

Seeing how the man was going out of his way to accommodate him, Shinji had agreed to Quirrell’s request – which was why he was here, feeling incredibly out of his depth as he stood before some of the most powerful movers and shakers of Magical Britain, waiting to accept an Order of Merlin, 3rd Class, on behalf of Argus Filch – the first and only Squib to be so honored in Britain’s long history.

‘A small ceremony, the Professor said. Say a few words, the Professor said. I didn’t know he meant…
    this.’ The boy thought to himself. ‘If I’d known what I was getting myself into…’

Though, in retrospect, that might be why the Professor hadn’t exactly been forthcoming with details, letting Shinji fill in the blanks himself.

‘I thought it was going to be a funeral.’

But a funeral it was not, as Argus Filch, the late caretaker of Hogwarts, was long buried, and there were no pictures of him to be found for a memorial, as the Quirrell had informed him when they arrived.

And since it would have been somewhat…impolitic for Albus Dumbledore to be here (as in, people would once more begin to wonder why the man hadn’t been there when the Chamber was opened, and why a member of the staff had died on his watch), the Headmaster and the Defense Professor had suggested that Matou Shinji, the earnest first-year Hufflepuff who had tried so hard to save his life, should accept the honor in Filch’s place, as a nod to all the man had done for the students of the school over his long years of service.

Not that this wasn’t an opportunity of its own, as he would get the chance to meet the Minister, the head of Hogwarts’ Board of Governors, and any number of other notables, and have his face featured in the paper – a copy of which he thought he could send home, to show his grandfather and his sister that he wasn’t so pathetic after all.

‘And this place is...nicer than Hogwarts, I have to say…’

The castle in which the school was housed had a certain medieval charm, it was true, but this place reeked of luxury and power. The floor and walls were not wrought of rough stone, but highly polished wood; the peacock-blue ceiling was inlaid with gleaming golden symbols that continually moving and changing like the night sky; and at the very center of the room was a gleaming golden fountain, with a centaur, a goblin, and a house-elf all fawning over a witch and wizard.

‘They place themselves at the center of the world, seeing themselves as lords of the earth and sky, of all the beasts upon it and the mysteries it hides,’
    Shinji observed, finding the symbolism of the Atrium quite shocking in how blatant it was – though he supposed it was only so to someone who hadn’t grown up steeped in its culture. ‘And if they see themselves as above other magical creatures, how do they see those without magic?’

Squibs, like Argus Filch, for example, or those they called Muggle or Mudblood?

He didn’t know for sure, but he suspected that their thoughts weren’t exactly flattering.

‘I’ll see what Lady Gainsborough thinks of all this, after the ceremony is over,’
    he thought to himself, looking out into the crowd and meeting the eyes of his coppery-haired guest, who seemed to be rather curious about the surroundings herself.

Much as he’d hoped she would be, though at the time, he’d invited her mostly because he thought it might be good to better get to know Phelan’s twin, since she had warned him of her brother’s tenency to get into trouble.

That…and he felt drawn to her after connecting her identity to that of the “Miss Lockhart” who had outwitted him at the Masquerade. The same Miss Lockhart who had made a comment about never becoming the heir of her family (hence her moniker of Aeris that evening, as it sounded much like heiress), no matter how hard she worked – a situation he was quite intimately familiar with.

He’d thought about inviting Miyuki-senpai, given that her presence always reassured him, but he didn’t want her to think he couldn’t function without her. Sokaris, who he’d also considered, wasn’t really the type to offer moral support most of the time – nor did he think she would have been interested in some memorial. And well, since this business with Filch was something he was responsible for, he didn’t want to get Natsumi involved in this mess.

‘Besides, if Amber is used to dealing with Phelan’s nonsense by now.’
    And with the situation having turned out quite different from his expectations, he suspected Lady Gainsborough might have been the best choice after all, given who and what she was.

As long as she wasn’t wearing a mask, at any rate.

Events proceeded, with the man finishing his speech, Quirrell stepping forward as a medal was placed around his neck – giving a short talk about the discovery of the Chamber, and how he hoped that those who studied it learned from the mistakes of the past, lest they find them echoing on into the future – and then Shinji himself accepting the boxed medallion that would have gone to Filch.

“I’m the least qualified person to speak about Mr. Filch, as I didn’t know him well, but I do know that without him giving his life, two of my friends would have died,” Shinji said of the caretaker, when asked if he had any words about him. “He was a brave man, who, even though he lacked magic, put everything he had into doing he felt was right.”

The boy’s words, unpracticed and unpolished as they were, were nevertheless, true from a certain point of view.

And what’s more, they struck a chord with some of those listening – especially those with children, who felt a surge of admiration for a Squib who sacrificed himself for the sake of two wizarding children could live.

For many, it was the first time in their lives they deigned to acknowledge a Squib as worthy of anything other than disdain or indifference, that they accepted that the lives of Squibs and others without magic could be of some consequence, even if they only did so grudgingly.

Shinji, being an eleven-year-old boy, didn’t know – or care really – how pivotal a role his words and presence played in that, or that he had been part of the beginning of such a change at all, as the only thing on his mind was trying not to make a fool of himself in front of all these people.

And he thought he did a reasonably good job of that.

Maybe.

So, it seemed at the reception following the ceremony, at least, when Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic himself, with Lucius Malfoy, head of Hogwarts’ Board of Governors by his side, came up to Shinji and his guest.

"I heard from Quirinus that you were there when Argus died, and you tried your very best to save him, my boy," the Minister said somberly, as he carried his hat under his arm. He placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and gave it a supportive squeeze. "It was a brave thing you did, at your age. And brave words you said today. I am glad to see honor being brought to the house of Hufflepuff. My house, you know."

“I didn’t know, but thank you, sir," Shinji replied with a nod, though he couldn’t quite meet the man’s eyes. Hearing people praise him for...what amounted to a lie felt very, very strange – made him feel slimy and tangled inside. ‘How…how can people believe this? Isn’t it obvious that it’s all a big lie?’ And yet they believed all the same, with Quirrell being the man of the hour for the grand discovery of the Chamber - the secret refuge of Salazar Slytherin himself, and Argus Filch given glory in death where he had received only scorn and derision in life. "I...to be honest sir, I don't think I deserve any praise. I couldn’t…I couldn’t save Mister Filch, and—”

"You should not blame yourself for what you failed to do," Lucius Malfoy interjected coolly. "I doubt that even the great Albus Dumbledore could have done anything about it. Not that he seemed to have the wisdom to be present when a professor attempted to open something as old and well-protected as the Chamber must have been. Though I suppose perhaps Quirinus simply did not think to ask, as I doubt a former Muggle Studies professor could truly understand the power of the Dark Arts, or its creations."

"I’m sure Professor Quirrell understands what he teaches very well,” Shinji said in Quirrell’s defense. The man had done much for him, and the boy from the east wouldn’t let him be slandered in front of him. “As for Professor Dumbledore, I’m sure there were reasons he could not be present. He’s a busy man, with an entire school to run, and sometimes, even if you take every precaution, things happen.”

"Perhaps,” Luicius acknowledged with a slight nod. “However, as the Head of the Board of Governors, it is nonetheless our responsibility to look into the incident and see if these is any indication that the headmaster may have been negligent, given that a death has occurred at Hogwarts," the man continued. "The last time that happened was the last time the Chamber was opened, with the man who was said to be behind it spared the worst because Dumbledore backed him.”

“And because the evidence was not…conclusive,” Fudge interjected, to which Lucius Malfoy grunted. “Suggestive, yes, but there was nothing placing him at the scene, and well…he was a half giant, while Slytherin was a believer in blood purity. Given that it seems the creature which killed Miss Warren was a basilisk of all things, not whatever beast the…putative culprit had been raising, it is possible that Dumbledore and Dippet fingered the wrong man.”

“What, are you suggesting reparations, Minister?” Lucius asked blandly.

“No. Merely that perhaps, in light of the new evidence, we should re-visit the investigation. Who knows, perhaps Mister Hagrid would enjoy having a chance to complete his Hogwarts education?” the Minister commented, glancing at his blond colleague. “He would have to continue where he left off, of course, as a third-year, and at least pass his OWLs if he wanted to use magic. You would have no objections to this, right, Lucius?”

“I suppose not,” the Malfoy patriarch allowed. “After all, it is hardly stranger than for all of us to be gathered here in honor of….” He paused. "A man not gifted with magic," he said after a moment, in an attempt to be diplomatic.

"Gifted or not, Mister Filch was a brave man to do what he did," Amber commented from beside Shinji, with Lucius' eyes turning to the girl. "After all, it would take bravery to live as someone who could not use magic in a world of magicians."

"Wizards, girl," Lucius corrected, his expression severe at her slip of the tongue. "Or witches. Not magicians. That is…a Muggle term."

"I see. I will remember that for the future," Amber, curtseying in the ruffled gown she wore. "If I may, you are the father of Draco Malfoy, are you not?"

"I am. What of it?"

"I see where your son learned his impeccable manners," the girl noted with a smile, with the tall blond man looking rather pleased by what he sees as a compliment.

"Indeed?" he questioned. "You must know my son well, then. How...unusual for one of your...background,” Lucius noted his curiosity piqued. “Tell me, what is your name?"

Amber glanced expectantly at Shinji, who, as the one who had invited her to the event, had the duty – and privilege, some might say – of introducing her to those who asked. The boy, understanding, nodded and turned back to the two men standing before him.

"Minister Fudge. Governor Malfoy," Shinji began, feeling himself coming almost to attention. "It is my pleasure to introduce to you the Lady Amber Noel, the eldest daughter of the Sixth Earl of Gainsborough."

"…Lady Noel, is it?" Lucius repeated, raising an eyebrow at the sheer presumption of such a claim. "How...charming."

"It is my title, Governor Malfoy," Amber replied demurely. "Surely it is not so unusual to meet a peer of the realm? Or are there no noble Houses among the wizards of Britain?"

"There are none in Wizarding Britain today," Minister Fudge cut in smoothly. "At least, not since Lord Black left us for the shores of America."

"Ah, truly?” Amber questioned, seeming most fascinated. “I see. Unlike the Britain I know, this one is truly a land of commoners."

"Commoners?" Lucius Malfoy echoed, his voice and expression both quite mild.

"Indeed, commoners,” the young lady acknowledged. “The word, if you are not familiar with it, is simply what we call those who are not members of the peerage by birth or courtesy, much as you term those who are not born as wizards or witches, Muggles.” She paused for a moment. “Do understand, I mean it as no slight. Commoners cannot help how they were born, after all."

"...I see," the Malfoy patriarch noted, nodding slowly. "How very...fascinating."

"The very word with which I would describe magical customs," Amber said brightly. "Truly, great minds must think alike, Governor."

"Perhaps," Lucius Malfoy allowed, a mask of perfect calm on his face. It would not do to respond to the provocations of an... ignorant child, after all. Even if she did have pretensions of being a Lady of some sort. "Minister, I do believe there were others we were to speak to? Perhaps...good Quirinus? Or even…Mister Lockhart, so recently returned from his travels."

"Ah, yes indeed," Minister Fudge said brightly. "I am looking forward to seeing what adventures Gilderoy experienced this time, and if he’ll write a book about them. It’s so…refreshing…to hear about how people live outside of Britain. Really, it makes us realize how lucky we are to be in such a civilized land, wouldn’t you say, Lucius?”

“…quite.”

“Mister Matou, Miss Noel, it was a pleasure to meet both of you,” the Minister intoned. “I hope to see you both again in time, as we Hufflepuffs are so rarely recognized for our good deeds.”

"Thank you for taking the time to greet us, Your Excellency," Amber replied with a curtsy. "It was so very nice to meet you. Oh, and you, Governor Malfoy."

Lucius Malfoy merely nodded, before the two men walked off, with Shinji looking between them and his smiling companion with a feeling that something had just gone on that he hadn't grasped the nuances of.

"That was rather fun, don't you agree, Matou?" the brunette beamed, taking his hand and leading him towards the buffet table.

"Fun?" Shinji asked quizzically, allowing himself to be pulled along in her wake.

"Indeed," Amber confirmed, with a warm chuckle. "Governor Malfoy very much reminds me of one of my old teachers. He was always convinced that Natsumi and I were up to no good."

"And were you?"

"My disciplinary record would say otherwise, Mister Matou, unlike my dear brother's."

"...that just means you were never caught."

"Does it?" she said brightly. "I hadn't the faintest idea. Now, come along, let us see if this reception features proper british tea, or whether it will be butterbeer and pumpkin juice."

"...well, anything's better than pumpkin juice."

"On that note, you are quite right."

The duo, having little else to do aside from greet well-wishers every once in a while – a task Shinji quickly grew tired of, despite the list including the head of the Departments of Magical Law Enforcement, the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes and other such – since everyone else was talking to Quirrell, Lockhart, or the Minister, wandered about the atrium, talked of many things, and eventually, bored out of their minds, decided to ask one of the Aurors providing security for the event if they could receive a tour or something like it.

“A tour?” the dark-skinned Auror questioned. “Of the Ministry?”

“If you wouldn’t mind asking, we would be grateful,” Amber said deferentially. “It’s just that, we have nothing to do while everyone is talking to our Professor.”

“…I’ll see what I can arrange,” the man said, while making no promises.

He took a mirror out of his pocket and spoke softly into it, a short, rapid-fire exchange that ended with a nod.

“Someone will be down shortly.”

As it happened, there was someone available to give such a tour: Auror Trainee Nymphadora Tonks, who as a very recent Hufflepuff Alumna (graduated the year before, actually!), was curious about the first year Puff who had allegedly tried to save Filch's life.

Since she was only a trainee, she hadn’t been asked to provide security, which was the only way someone so junior as an Auror would have been allowed to attend the ceremony at all, so when the request came for someone to give a VIP a tour of the Ministry, she leapt at the chance.

After all, if she was guiding around a firstie, surely he would be able to tell her what exactly had happened during the incident, and how Professor Quirrell was doing, now that he was the Defense Professor, not the Muggle Studies Professor.

“Auror Trainee Tonks, reporting as ordered, sir!” she said, saluting as she came down and caught sight of Kingsley Shacklebolt, the Auror who had been assigned as the head of event security. “You wanted me to escort some VIPs, sir?”

“Yes, Trainee. Mister Shinji Matou and Lady Amber Noel from Hogwarts,” the powerfully-built Auror replied. “Feel free to humor their requests, within reason.”

“Sir, yes, sir!” Tonks responded, looking at the two first years – one, an oriental dressed in shimmering silver robes, and the other an Englishwoman in a ruffled red dress. “So the two of you, huh?”

“Y-yes!” Shinji remarked, noting how pretty Tonks was up close as he bowed, and taking her hand, kissed it. “Matou Shinji, at your service.”

“And I am Amber Noel, Trainee Tonks,” the Gryffindor girl added, noting with some amusement how Tonks seemed surprised by Shinji’s…manners.

"Huh, wasn’t expecting you two to be like that. But I guess people can surprise you, whether firsties or older folks," the Auror-trainee reflected, letting her hair become a most interesting shade of purple, which Shinji noticed was the exact shade that Sokaris’ often took. "You wanted to see the Ministry? Come with me, then, I’ll give you the tour.”

“Including the Department of Mysteries?” Amber quipped, to which Tonks looked at her strangely.

“No. I value my job, thank you very much,” Tonks replied shortly, as the three of them stepped into an elevator. “Anywhere but that and the Minister’s office should be fine. But we can start anywhere. We have time.”

“Can we…try the Department of International Magical Cooperation?” Shinji wondered aloud, curious to see what such a place would look like. The Association, while it did do diplomacy, wasn’t exactly a country, after all…

“If you like,” Tonks said, pushing the button for the fifth floor. “Tell you wot. We don't have to let this just be a tour. Ask me something. Or a couple somethings. Least I can do for a Puff and a girl he fancies enough to invite her to this kind of thing."

"I-it's not really like that!" Shinji said, his face turning a most interesting shade of red as he looked away. "I...I just thought Lady Gainsborough would appreciate this…this sort of thing."

"Huh? And you even have him trained," Auror Trainee Tonks remarked with a bit of a smirk, glancing over at a thoroughly amused Amber. "Nice work, girl. You a Puff too?"

"Gryffindor, actually," the brunette corrected. "Though it's not as if which house one is in truly matters, does it?"

"It does – and it doesn't," Tonks answered with a shrug. "You'll see what I mean in a few years. So… questions?"

“…you’re a metamorphmagus, aren’t you?” Shinji asked, making the Auror trainee blink.

“How’d you know?”

“Your hair – I saw it change color just now. Just like one of my friends can change her features.”

“Oh?” Amber commented. “Which one?”

“Just oh…a Ravenclaw,” Shinji said, not wanting to say exactly who it was if Amber didn’t already know who he was talking about.

“Ah, there’s someone like me at Hogwarts? And a Ravenclaw?” Tonks asked. “Too bad I graduated. We could have done so much mischief together.”

“…should an Auror really be saying something like this?”

“Auror Trainee. I’m not a full member of the serious squad yet. Two more years to go. Already passed the tests of character though.”

“Was it difficult, becoming a trainee?” Amber questioned.

“Like you wouldn’t believe. Need top grades for that you do. Five N.E.W.T.s, nothing under 'Exceeds Expectations', and all sorts of aptitude tests. Best of the best, we are!” Tonks bragged, puffing out her chest.

“N.E.W.T.s?” Shinji echoed. “What are…?”

“Tests. The next level after OWLs.”

“I see. So you needed NEWTs in…”

“Potions, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Herbology, and Charms,” Tonks rattled off. “All the classes ‘cept Astronomy and History. Not easy, doing what I do, or getting to where I am. Harder for Hufflepuffs sometimes, even if a few of us stand out.”

“You were a Hufflepuff, too?” Shinji asked, curious about the beautiful young woman with purple hair.

“I was. Not Head Girl or anything, but I think I left an impression,” she said with something like a smirk. “Like I said, a few of us stand out.” She paused for a moment. “I don’t suppose you would know Miyuki? She was a firstie in my last year.”

“…you mean Tsuji Miyuki?” Shinji hazarded. Was…was the Auror trainee talking about senpai? “If so, then yes. She…” He blushed, remembering how what he was wearing had been made by her hands. “She made what I’m wearing, actually.”

“Huh, did she now?” Tonks murmured, shaking her head. “Good to see she made a friend. Wasn’t sure if she would bother again, after what happened with those Ravenclaws.”

“…after what happened exactly?” Amber asked, her voice hard. “I mean…I know Miyuki too, from…before Hogwarts.”

“Ah…” Tonks noted with a sigh. “Let’s just say, some jealous Ravenclaws didn’t like how their little heartthrob liked working with some Muggleborn rather than one of them. After he got sick and dropped out, they started bullying her, blaming her for what happened. She waited for them to stop, thinking they’d get tired in the end, but they didn’t. So she did what she had to. She stopped them.”

Before she could say more, the elevator dinged as it arrived at the fifth floor at last.

“But that’s enough of that. Shall we?”

Which role is Shinji most interested in playing?

[ ] Base Commander
    [ ] Squadron Leader
    [ ] Artillery Officer
    [ ] Wall Commander

Blog Entries
    [x] Wall Commander.

Not about to leave the crucial task of defending the fortifications to a NPC.