Page 32 of 91 FirstFirst ... 22273031323334374282 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    [x] Wall Commander.

Not about to leave the crucial task of defending the fortifications to a NPC.
    Of course, the other tasks are also crucial, so the question is - which ones can you afford to let NPCs take? Overall command/strategy, organizing the evacuation, leading raids and spoiling attacks against the enemy, running the large-scale defenses (your only shot at doing serious damage to many of the enemies), or defense of the troops on the fortification, whose wands can be useful for repair, reinforcement of shields, concentrated fire or otherwise.

As usual, I am online for discussion.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 21st, 2018 at 09:13 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Commander of the Wall

I consider the order of importance to be Base Commander then Logistics and then Wing Commander (British Forces, British Name...plus vg reference) that need to be manned well. Now since Shinji is not good with a Broom, and that fact has not been helped by Nigel being his partner, Shinji should not pick that role. Nor will Ernie so it has to sadly have to go to a NPC.

Not sure Shinji would make a great Artillery Commander, but I guess having some control of what they shoot at can not be bad so I am good with picking that if others want to go that route. But when it comes to the Ernie vs Shinji at Wall Commander and Logistics, my vote comes more down to what I think Ernie would be better at compared to Shinji. Ernie I suspect would be better at Logistics so I let him take that position and slot Shinji at the Wall.

I consider the Wall to be the death position, IE if you are located there then you are NOT going to likely score any points, for you will die. You should die. The deck is stacked against you. By the very nature of the role you have to be the last to retreat and by the time you do that, the walls will have been breached and it will be too late. No where to hide, no where to run. All the left for you to do is to go down swinging, and buy the time for others to escape and to score. But Shinji does have one small uncontrolled ace up his sleeve in the form of his monster form...which might just by the others time for them to win.

And we seem to not care about winning since the group did not think/choose the team with the Luck potion on their side so then I guess it will be up to Shinji to either win it for himself at the wall to prove himself and/or die trying in the hopes that someone in the group wins and shares some of the prize. I suspect that whoever wins the prize is very likely to share the prize to their teammates because no one won in a vacuum.

Do I think that Shinji makes for a good Wall Commander...no. But it seems like the role that he would force on himself to face his fears and to overcome his sense of self-hate after all the false praise that been directed at him lately. Yep, if for no reason other than to prove his worth to himself.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 21st, 2018 at 09:37 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    2 for the Wall and 2 for logistics
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wall, Tie Broken

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Wall Commander

Together with Selina and Ernie, Matou Shinji materialized in a chamber bounded on all sides but one with jet-black stone engraved with glowing runes. The one remaining side was a pane of what seemed like silvered glass, and provided those in the chamber with a view of a vast cavern below, where boxes of supplies were stacked haphazardly, as well as brooms in various stages of assembly and a number of what seemed like richly woven carpets - and a good number of what were likely wizards bustling about in white and orange robes.

"Huh...so this is Hos, huh?" Ernie muttered, shivering despite himself at how the temperature was quite low. Looking around the room, he saw they were standing around a table of crystal, atop which markers wrought only of light glowed in two main colors: blue and red. "Hey? hat's this? Broom squadron status? Artillery range?"

Moving closer, he could see that there were a good number of labels to be found, and that one could focus on various parts of the model by pinching and zooming with one's fingers, whereupon more detailed information could be found.

"Situation Report," a metallic voice issued from the table, as something shaped like a human, but wrought of smoke, rose above it. "With the Dark Lord's army arriving in force, the likelihood of successfully defending Enigma Base from capture is negligible. Evacuation protocols initialized. Please confirm your designations."

In the room, five circles of runes appeared, each large enough for a single person to step into, each helpfully labelled with a title.

Base Commander.

Logistics Coordinator.

Wing Commander.

Wall Commander.

Battery Commander.

"Uh...so each of us step into one of these?" Ernie asks the cloud-like figure.

"Correct."

"What do each of these do again?"

The simulation helpfully highlighted a number of red sigils and figures that apparently represented trolls, giants, and dementors.

"Under evacuation protocols, the roles are follows. Enigma Base Commander coordinates the overall strategic situation from this control center, managing available forces and deploying them to meet enemy movements, while ensuring that the evacuation proceeds. The Logistics Coordinator, subordinate only to the Commander, will organize the evacuation of the base, deciding which personnel will join which convoy, what forces will be used for convoy protection, and the size of the convoys. The Wing Commander will assume field command of Enigma Base's Broom Wing, coordinating its squadrons on reconnaissance runs, raids, serving as the primary covering force for the base and its occupants. The Battery Commander will directs Enigma Base's "large scale" defenses - a pair of mighty trebuchets, each of which are capable of lobbing orbs filled with what amount of magical napalm a fair distance, as well as the crews which man them and protect them. Responsibility for the remainder of the troops on the fortifications falls to the Wall Commander."

A different voice speaks - Quirrell's, Shinji recognizes: "Commanders, you are charged with coordinating the defense of Hos, holding off the enemy long enough to facilitate the evacuation of the base via magic carpet. I realize that you may be short on key personnel, but you will have to make do. Reinforcement of Hos is currently impossible, due to the enemy using anti-Portkey and anti-apparition jinxes, and even if those were to be lifted, the majority of our forces are currently stationed at Enigma Base. As such, should the base fall with the bulk of its troops unevacuated, the rebellion against the Dark Lord will fall with it. I regret that I must place this responsibility on your shoulders, but I have no choice. This is our most desperate hour, and you, the Rebellion's best operatives, are our last hope."

"Tactical Analysis updated. Location: Enigma Base, Hos. The current time is midnight. Projected time until defensive spells are breached: one hour. Commanders, confirm your roles."

"I'll manage things from here," Selina speaks up, as the petite blonde steps into the circle marked with "Base Commander", and something like a sigil appears on the back of her hand - a seal indicating her rank and authority. "Macmillan, Matou? What about the two of you?"

"I guess...Logistics?" Ernie says after a minute, though it is obvious that he's not entirely confident about the choice. "If the point of this entire scenario is to buy time for an evacuation, then it would be plain stupid for someone to not take that role. Though..." he looks thoughtful as he turns to the table. "What will happen with the roles we don't take?"

"Unfilled roles will be assigned to base personnel, based on best fit."

"So...whatever we don't take..." Ernie trails off.

"...will be filled in by people from this...simulation?" Shinji supplies in, frowning. "You know...that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence."

"It isn't meant to," Selina answers, shaking her head. "It's meant to make us make a choice, to choose what we see as the least bad alternative. To see what we think is most important."

"A choice, huh?" Shinji repeats, smiling ruefully. "Fine. Ernie, you take Logistics. I'll take the Wall."

Saying that, the Japanese boy steps into the circle corresponding to his choice, as a sigil appears on his hand. Ernie, not really feeling up to the heroics of Wing Command, or quite good enough at calculation for Battery Command, does as Shinji suggests and goes with Logistics.

Their choices made, light flares around them, sending them to their posts, with Matou Shinji feeling the icy wind cut into him as he stood on a high wall in the middle of raging snowstorm, looking out at where the base's defense barrier was being bombarded by enemy spells.

"Commander, what's the situation? Is it true that evacuation protocols have been enacted?" a man dressed in blood-red robes asks, nodding to him deferentially.

"Commander, what are your orders?" another questions - this one a bushy-haired brunette whose face is stern and shows no trace of fear. "Do we reinforce the shields? Do we transfigure the ground? Do we attempt something more offensive? Or shall we wait for Enigma Actual?

What are Shinji's orders?

[ ] Reinforce the shields - the defenses must hold
    [ ] Transfigure the ground - the shields are going to fall no matter what. The enemy must be hindered if at all possible
    [ ] Use Lumos Maxima to blind the enemy - if they're going to attack, make it seem like they're looking into the sun
    [ ] Set up personal-scale defenses, for when the main shield falls
    [ ] Wait for instructions from Enigma Actual (Base Command)
    [ ] (write-in)

I came across these the other day, as I was browsing "Antics at the Armoury". No doubt this is Amber's preferred DnD class. :P

Spoiler:

Also, online as usual.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 22nd, 2018 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Assuming that the first choice allows for, at the very least, two additional picks for defensive maneuvers (as it would equal to a wasted option otherwise), here.

The idea is to keep at bay as much hinderances from the convoys as possible. And that means preventing Dementors, from harassing them. Adding to the fact that they cannot be killed with the means at our disposition, they could also easily disturb the line of defense. Thus, I would recommend trying to keep the shield up for a longer period, while trying to prepare as best as possible for the moment it falls.

Trolls and Giants can be slowed down or somewhat distracted. Dementors will go where they can satisfy their hunger first. And easy preys such as fleeing and flying convoys would be akin to an inviting buffet.

Blinding the enemy could result in also gaining some time but it is likely to be mitigated when the shield actually falls.

How do you feel about it guys? What should be the first step?
    Last edited by Daiki; February 22nd, 2018 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    How do you feel about it guys? What should be the first step?
    It is my belief that reinforcing the shields would be the most magical intense task of these choices. It would be good but the forces would drop like flies from magical exhaustion if they do this. I think we can find an option that better use's the not unlimited magical energy the defenses have.

That being said the blinding light spell is likely the best to conserve it for a later moment. But downside is that you will be just as blind as the enemy would be from it unless everyone knows its happening to close their eyes at that moment. It might work if you got the wall to do the spell at the right moment to launch an counter attack but that would require communication with the base commander to set that moment up. So not at this time but please suggest it to Selina.

But I like the idea of transfigure the ground so that we at least have something up that will slow down the incoming waves opening them up for an attack by the other forces. And it gives at least some small bonus to slowing down a breach.

[X] Transfigure the ground - the shields are going to fall no matter what. The enemy must be hindered if at all possible
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 22nd, 2018 at 11:46 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    That being said the blinding light spell is likely the best to conserve it for a later moment. But downside is that you will be just as blind as the enemy would be from it unless everyone knows its happening to close their eyes at that moment. It might work if you got the wall to do the spell at the right moment to launch an counter attack but that would require communication with the base commander to set that moment up. So not at this time but please suggest it to Selina.
    With regards to the blinding light, you can make direct it - it just keeps the wands occupied and renders them unable to react immediately, since you'd have to cancel the spell before casting another.

FYI, a number of your defenders are capable of the Patronus, but it is not an easy spell, and the effort of sustaining it against an army of dementors will be rather great.

Please also note that while the shield is up, your carpets cannot pass its boundaries. But then, the enemy can't either.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; February 23rd, 2018 at 10:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Transfigure the ground.

Let's go with this for now.

[x] Transfigure the ground

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Transfigure the ground - the shields are going to fall no matter what. The enemy must be hindered if at all possible

"I won't lie to you. We're under attack by the Dark Lord's forces," Shinji stated, gesturing out at the rippling lights impacting the base's primary shield. "Right now, the defensive spells are keeping them at bay, but..."

"If this is just a probe, we might be able to hold. A full-scale assault...there's no chance," the red-robed man supplied, bowing his head. "Not with our numbers against what he can raise. Not that a probe can't become a full-scale assault, but...'

"What are we looking at, Commander?" another asked, uneasy, since the snowstorm severely limited visibility. "What's in that force?"

"Trolls," Shinji recalled from the table in the situation room. "Giants. And I think...dementors."

"Ah...a full-assault then. We're buying time to get those carpets loaded."

"That's right," Shinji confirmed. "We have maybe an hour before the defenses fall if things continue as they are."

"...that's not a lot of time, Commander. So, I ask again, what are your orders?" the stern-faced brunette inquired, even as she glanced out towards the snow. "We could try to reinforce the shields with our magic, which might buy us an hour, but will probably leave us exhausted once they actually fall. We could use our magic to set traps on the ground, turning into a muddy morass that trolls and giants will have trouble slogging through, helping our fellows on the artillery. We could try to layer a second defensive line, or set up better magical bulwarks for us to fight from, though I don't like our odds if that army reaches us. Well, maybe if use the Old Magic, but even that..."

"Focus on the ground," Shinji commanded, feeling the sigil branded on the back of his hand pulse with power. "I don't want us exhausted before the fight even begins."

"As you wish, Commander." The red-robed man bowed. "If you could coordinate with the Wing Commander?"

"Uh, sure," Shinji stated, wondering just how he was going to do that. "Just uh..."

"Focus on the sigil on your hand, and the person you wish to reach," the man supplied, raising an eyebrow. "You're from one of the other bases, aren't you, Commander?"

"...you could say that, yes."

"If I may speak freely, all of us place a great deal of trust in Supreme Commander Quirrell and his lieutenants," the man remarked. "Please, don't disappoint us, Commander. Our lives - and the future of the rebellion - are at stake, after all. Not just the lives of the First and Second Wall Companies."

"Do your duty, and I'll do mine," Shinji replied, with the man nodding after a moment before turning away to rally the troops and relay Shinji's command.

Thinking on what the man had said, he focused on trying to reach out to Selina, thinking of the blonde and her title of Base Commander.

"Selina, what's the situation?" he asked, only to blink as a voice replied from out of nothingness.

"Ernie is down in the hangar, with his subordinates getting the carpets sorted. Some of them need maintenance. Some of them are...singed. The Wing Commander - some version of Phelan - is apparently impatient to do something, and suggested collapsing part of the barrier...explosively."

Shinji twitched.

"...Explosively? What would that even..."

"Most of the dark wizards bombarding the shields are on the side of the isle facing the base's main entrance," Selina supplied. "There are a few other ways in and out of Enigma, but none big enough for the enemy's main assault forces. Or for us to launch a large-scale evacuation from, really. If we collapse that part of the barrier while it still has a good bit of magic left, the release of power will be bright enough to burn out the eyes of anyone - or anything - looking right at it, as well as throw enough magic in the air to make it more difficult for dementors to seek us out. And in their moment of inattention, the broom squadron can fly out among them and give our trebuchets proper targeting information."

"...what's the catch?"

"If we take down that part of the barrier, we won't be able to get it back up," Selina admitted. "And if our trebuchets don't manage to take out some of the enemy, then we will have cut short our preparation time for nothing." She paused. "Speaking of which, your troops can cast the Patronus, right?"

"I...don't know, actually," Shinji admitted. "I didn't think to ask. Let me check on that. In the mean time, I need the Wing Commander to lend my people some brooms, so we can turn the approach into a quagmire."

"Not a bad idea. I'll pass along the orders."

"Thanks."

What does Shinji think about the "Explosive barrier collapse" plan?

[ ] No. The barrier has to stay up as long as possible so his troops - and Ernie's subordinates - can finish their preparations
    [ ] It's risky - too risky. There are too many points of failure for too little gain
    [ ] It's the only real chance of dealing the enemy a great blow, when they least expect it - go with the plan
    [ ] Go with the plan and commit his wall forces to a spoiling attack, since he commands far more wands than the Wing Commander
    [ ] (write-in)

Currently, all of the wall forces are preparing to transfigure the ground. However, in case he wishes to give more detailed instructions, ​or detail different companies to different tasks, he is free to do so:

1st Company (led by the red-robed man) - Currently Planning for large-scale transfiguration
    2nd Company (led by the stern-faced brunette) - Currently Planning for large-scale transfiguration

Are there any changes to be made?

[ ] (write-in)

And now the fun begins...

EDIT: 2nd edition: After some plan changes due to details of area after talking to Alf.

We are not here for glory or turn the tide of battle but to delay the enemy and retreat. So all forces should look to how to stall for time and to make the enemy pay for every meter of ground gained. Every life lost in defense needs to come at a large price tag for the enemy. The explosive barrel is not a bad idea but it does not allow for the main objective; retreat as many forces as fast as possible and as long as possible. The plan suggest does wonders for the first round of the siege but it will leave very little options for the rounds after.

The Shields should hold for an hour, so let us be conservative at the moment and used that first 30 mins with the help of the broom squad (because they can do nothing if the shield is up) to form an killing zone. The magical shield is some 500 m beyond the The area between the Wall and the Magical Shield is a known distance for the artillery to do maximum damage to the enemy if we can funnel them into guided kill paths by way of rubble and barriers. Giants and trolls are not known for their intelligence so giving them clear routes to take should be super effective.

[X] No. Every minute of prep does more for us than the enemy. If the Broom squad has nothing they can do at the moment, then they can assist Wall Company in creating funneling kill routes (magical Napalm comes to mind) between the main wall and the forward wall the 2nd Company will make over the next 30 mins before we reassert the situation again.

Brooms Squad role is to make the zone that will be trapped between the Forward wall and the main wall a living hell. Maybe set the entire area in fire once the retreat is started by the underground tunnels. Maybe they want to just make traps but Brooms will have the joy of making the funhouse for the enemy that will be the Forward Wall retreat.

[X] 1st Company - Transfigure the ground beyond the forward wall. They will be divided into five smaller platoons. Each platoon will get a 2 min break from their transfiguration roles for the purpose of recovering/planning. The resting current platoon will cycle every 2 minutes so one break for every 10 mins of work.

Idea here is for 1st company to work hard in making defenses but to not overwork themselves as they will need to hold the line. Hopeful the subgroups will see things they need to fix or adjust during their breaks. The purpose of their task is to make the first layer killing area that funnels into areas that will have defenders attacking from three directions. The Forward wall additions and from the main wall.

[X] 2nd Company - Will Transfigure a forward wall 100 m in front of the main wall. This wall will actually wave in and out towards the main wall around retreat tunnels that connect back to the main wall so that 1st company station at this wall lines can retreat to the Main wall. They are also divided further into 5 platoons with breaks as well.

Their purpose is the making of this additional smaller wall that will be used to focus fire on the enemy until we need to retreat to the main wall. Stall, stall stall. Make the best wall possible but the main defense will take place at the main wall. Forward wall is there to do damage and focus the enemy to where we want them.

Right now I believe its time for a picture of all this...excuse the quick job here. https://imgur.com/a/5owzc

In summary - 1st Company is going to lay the defenses down that enemy first hit and will likely man the new wall. After their position is unable to hold they will retreat and set off the fun that Broom squad built. 2nd Company is going to build the forward wall that 1st Company will use.

Sidenote: After looking over this post I might have gone a little overboard in the planning but then again I like tactical games so yeah...Hopeful Shinji can keep pace.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 25th, 2018 at 12:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    [X] No. Every minute of prep does more for us than the enemy.

[X] 2nd Company - Will Transfigure a forward wall 100 m in front of the main wall.

Willing to give this a chance.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What does Shinji think about the "Explosive barrier collapse" plan?
    [X] No. Every minute of prep does more for us than the enemy.
    Detailed instructions, ​or detail different companies to different tasks, he is free to do so:

[X] 1st Company - Transfigure the ground beyond the forward wall. They will be divided into five smaller platoons. Each platoon will get a 2 min break from their transfiguration roles for the purpose of recovering/planning. The resting current platoon will cycle every 2 minutes so one break for every 10 mins of work. [X] 2nd Company - Will Transfigure a forward wall 100 m in front of the main wall.

"And the Wing Commander's explosive barrier plan?" Selina prompted.

"I don't think that's a good idea right now," Shinji responded, tactfully not saying precisely what he thought of it. "Not if the carpets in bad a shape as you describe. Ernie needs the time to check them out and plan how to pull everyone out without...you know."

"Without getting us all killed, because he pulled too many forces from the wall?"

"...I wasn't going to put it like that, but...yeah," the boy admitted admitted, shaking his head. "We might be able to wipe out some of the enemy, but then what? What if they send reinforcements, and we haven't had time to prepare? If the Dark Lord is serious about attacking, I don't think wiping out this first assault wave is going to matter much."

"Hm. Point. Let's check in after half an hour, Matou?"

"Sure. Let's do that," Shinji agreed. "Matou, out."

He tapped the sigil, cutting the connection, as something came to mind.

'We could probably use a forward position. A wall of some kind we can use to funnel the enemy into areas the artillery can hit.'

It didn't need to stop the enemy, just slow them down and...maneuver them. But who to assign to it? 1st company, who seemed more experienced at these things?

'No. I'll use 2nd company.'

Second company was led by the brunette who had mentioned putting up another defensive line, so he thought she might as well be put in charge of actually making one.

'Let's hope she knows what she's doing better than I do.'

He moved towards where his troops were waiting for broom pickup and relayed his new orders, as well as some detail about 1st Company should rotate off and rest.

"You don't have to tell me my job, Commander," the red-robed veteran remarked wryly. "I've been at this since the beginning."

"Very well then," the boy acknowledged, letting the man get to his job as the brooms came down, with the Wing Commander detailing his men to transport the wall troops as needed, before marching over to him.

"So you're the one who said no to the barrier plan," the youth noted - and sure enough, as Selina said, the Wing Commander reminded him of an older Phelan. "And the one asking my boys to be glorified transports. Why not get logistics to send up a bloody carpet? They have enough of em down there."

"I, uh..." Now that Shinji thought about it, maybe he should have done that, since Ernie wouldn't be evacuating anyone while the barrier was up anyway, and having one on hand might have let him evacuate his staff right from the wall if need be. "I'll...put in a request."

"Please do. When the barrier goes down my boys will be needed to run interference with the enemy, so the fancy contraptions further up the mountain can actually hit something. We're not going to be able to hold, you know?"

"...I know. I'm trying to buy what time I can," Shinji countered. "If the ground isn't prepared..."

"Look, there's a snowstorm right now. I think nature will do more to keep the enemy off balance than anything you can do in half an hour," the man who was certainly not Phelan retorted. "But if you want to commit your troops to this, they're yours to order around. Just remember, when that barrier goes down, the enemy is going to come at us. And we're not going to have a huge margin of error, since our carpets are coming out of the main entrance. You know - facing the enemy."

"Even if we wiped out the first wave, say with your plan, what if they send more?"

"Oh, they will," the Wing Commander replied grimly. "You can count on that as you can count on the fact the sun won't rise here, above the arctic circle. The point of the explosive barrier was never to defeat them all - just to wipe out most of the first wave and throw them into disarray for a while. We might be able to shut down their ability to bring in reinforcements for a few minutes."

"Huh. I didn't think of that."

"Look. I get that you're good, or Supreme Commander Quirrell wouldn't have sent you up here, but you don't know Enigma Base like we do. Just...I hope you know what you're doing. The lives of the people here depend on it."

With that, the Wing Commander takes his leave, with Shinji shaking his head as the man ascends into the sky.

"...you know, I hope I know what I'm doing too."

Half an hour later, Shinji contacts Selina to check in - Ernie is having more problems than he anticipated down there. Some of it lies with transport, with some carpets in need of dire repair, though they've gotten at least some functional ones, and are testing out more to make sure they work. He has even had one sent up to Shinji - whose troops promptly put it to use - and to the battery posts, in case they need to evacuate directly from their posts - in response to Selina's suggestions.

The bigger problem though, is trying to decide who to pull off the defenses and when.

"The problem is, no matter what I do, someone will be left short-handed," Ernie said over the Commander comm network. "If I pull from the battery, then we have no way of hurting the enemy seriously. If I pull from the wall troops, we can't repair our fortifications. The brooms have to stay for obvious reasons, and I can't evacuate the logistics staff first. What would be the point of that?"

Ernie sighed in frustration.

"And then well, our carpets are slow. They're designed to carry a lot of weight, not to outrace brooms. If the Dark Lord does notice them, he'll pick them off - and if I pull brooms away from the Squadron to protect them, then there's an even bigger chance he'll notice something. The way I see it, we either weaken ourselves a little at a time, hoping the snowstorm and what traps we can set up are going to be enough to keep the enemy pinned down - or at least not looking for our carpets in a snowstorm, or we do something really big and try to get everyone out at once, while they're distracted. "

"Something big, like what?"

"I don't know," the boy said, clearly exasperated. "I...don't know. Any ideas, suggestions? I thought about maybe making one of the batteries an evacuation staging point, but can we afford to not be attacking?"

[ ] Suggest the slow and steady approach
    [ ] Suggest the all at once approach
    [ ] Volunteer to take over Logistics, if he wants the wall
    [ ] (write-in)

I see that Quirrell set up the AI to always make you question your decisions, causing doubt to creep in.

[X] Slow and Steady; Suggest that round trip times for carpets could be shorten if their broom escorts, shrink them and raced back with them. Batteries would be an excellent evacuation point once enough artillery is pulled back to make the useless. We could even push them over the edge and have them crashed into the bottom of the mountain in a artificially mudslide (add water!) to stop the enemy as Wall forces pulled back into the tunnels once the wall is lost.

Ernie, Ernie. All at once approach only works if the carpets can hold the entire base for one grand exit. Or it gives you one good starting run at best. But what percentage of the population can they really hold? 50%? 25%? Maybe even more like 5%. Whatever it is, the razel dazel approach just means that you doom everyone else. Yes an distraction should be done to take the focus off of the carpets but really a slow method is the only real way to go here, if you want people to get out. But yes each additional run will be fewer and fewer lives saved.

Causing a mudslide with the artillery in a final jester might hopefully slowdown the enemy once the last forces make into the tunnels. Hopeful it will cut off the enemy that does make it in to a manageable amount. From there its a battle to the former Battery to get out. Its not perfect and many lives will be lost but a few more might make it out. Anything and everything to slow the enemy down to give time for the carpets.

For the record, I am not against taking over Logistics at this point, if Ernie can understand what the Wall plan is. But the morale hit that would be the switching of commanders seems more hurtful than any better result we might be able to squeeze out of Logistics.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    On a completely different note, please write in present suggestions. Just remember that Shinji at present does not have access to things like the Room of Requirement.

[x] Volunteer to take over Logistics, if he wants the wall

Morale hit vs. keeping an eye on how things are going backstage?
    I'd weigh the latter as more important.

[x] Suggest the slow and steady approach

[x] Volunteer to take over Logistics, if he wants the wall

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ties. Wonderful thing, ties.

...aren't they?