Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 30353839404142455090 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[ ] Regift some items for now, if he can't find something appropriate, and buy something later

Blog Entries
    [x] Buy a small gift now (so it will be here for xmas), and a followup when the other funds come in.

[X] Buy a small gift now (so it will be here for xmas), and a followup when the other funds come in

Change my vote to:
    [x] Buy a small gift now (so it will be here for xmas), and a followup when the other funds come in.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Shinji hadn't known what to expect from his experience at Twilfit and Tattlings, as shopping for clothes had never been something he'd really done before, especially with a pretty girl at his side.

'Said pretty girl being the only one the shopkeeper is actually paying attention to,'
    the boy thought bitterly, with the proprietor seeming to barely tolerate his presence - up until Amber had informed the man - Mr. Twilfit, presumably - that he was the customer. 'I guess appearances do matter.'

For an idle moment, the boy had wondered what would happen if he had allowed his obscurial form to manifest in all of its terrible glory, before remembering what Miyuki would say if he gave into his murderous impulses.

'No. I'm better than that. I'm better than that.'
    He had to be.

So he'd kept quiet as the proprietor had made some noises about how a young noble should make sure one's retainers did not bring shame to their family, with Amber helping him choose garments of fine materials but simple, functional cuts. Nothing too gaudy, but which, due to the construction and quality, would let an onlooker instantly recognize he was someone of means.

He did feel a bit strange about her looking over him critically, adjusting the collar of his new robes, however, and pointing out how it could be adjusted to better flatter him, making him try on item after item - with him blushing the entire time - but by the end of it, he had acquired a few sets of workable day-wear that wouldn't look too out of place in the muggle world.

'Thank goodness for that too.'

He really did need to thank her too, but how?

[ ] Offer to cover her purchases as thanks for her help here - and earlier
    [ ] He did note a jewelry shop in Vertic Alley. Perhaps she would like hairpins or some such
    [ ] Make a note to let her help decide what to do with the money they'll get later
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Make a note to let her help decide what to do with the money they'll get later

[x] Offer to cover her purchases as thanks for her help here - and earlier

[X] Make a note to let her help decide what to do with the money they'll get later

I could go with the jewelry option here but the cover her purchases not so much. The idea of a noble girl being handed a blank check while a nice move sounds like it could get expensive really fast. Thought she might take it gentle this time with him as it is Shinji first time...ah shopping here.

Did we all give up on the how Shinji sees Natsumi and Miyuki question?

Ok change my vote
    [x] He did note a jewelry shop in Vertic Alley. Perhaps she would like hairpins or some such

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

(He will slip away into a shop and get them to wrap the enchanted notebook for Amber, letting her think it came from there)

Let us wind back the clock to the gathering of Minds on the last day before the holidays.

Something, Shinji suspected, was different about this one, given that the written invitations to the event - which featured the usual guest list - had requested that those who were unable to attend for whatever reason pass their invitation to someone else, to allow for a group of 8 for the evening's activities, and that they dress to impress.

'I wonder who will be there?' he thought to himself. It wasn't as if Christmas was a particularly big holiday in Japan, as that was mostly something for close friends and c-couples, opposed to New Years, which was celebrated widely, with family, friends, and even acquaintances. Yes, golden week was nice as it was a long period of days off, and Valentines and White Day had picked up rather a lot of interest from young people, but the only one which everyone really felt strongly about was the New Year.

As for dressing formally...

'I guess I'll have to wear the robes Miyuki-senpai made for me,'
    he thought with a slight smile, even as he felt his cheeks heat up, remembering how Miyuki had created the garment especially for him, as well as how the last party to which he'd worn it had turned out.

This time, when he entered, with Natsumi beside him, he saw the room set up much like the first time, with a few small tables scattered about the room, and a buffet of delicacies and treats lining one of the walls. This time, though, each of the tables were just large enough for two people to stand around them, with plates, and the attendees were different.

Amber, Sokaris, Natsumi, and Nigel were all people he expected. But the others - the apathetic redhead, a brunette who he thought might be a Slytherin, and...Granger were not.

'Why are they here?'
    he wondered, though he knew quite well why they were, because someone invited them. Though, really, the question in his mind was who invited Granger, as the sight of her made a surge of anger and revulsion well up within him. For a moment, the boy felt dizzy, felt his nails digging into a suddenly balled fist as the world began to shrink and his vision began to swim, before Sokaris' face entered his view, and his mind - and vision - cleared.

Just in time too, as the door opened, with Quirrell sweeping into the room in blood red robes.

"Good evening," he said without preamble. "For tonight's events, we will be working in pairs, since Christmas is a time for...companionship and goodwill. And since it is your evening, I would like for you to take the next few moments to choose someone to work with from among your fellow guests. Someone not from your House, ideally. After that, you may ask your question for the evening before we proceed to other...festivities."

Choose a partner

[ ] Amber
    [ ] Sokaris
    [ ] One of the others (write-in who)

What question do you have for Quirrell?

[ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 10th, 2018 at 11:14 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Sokaris

[X] Amber

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And no one has any idea what to ask Quirrell? Every guest is entitled to one question...

[X] Amber

We might be leaning too much towards Amber, but if we go Sokaris, Hermione will throw a fit and be in Shinji's face all night. I really do not want the night spoiled by her. Though I am tempted to pick Hermione just to ruin her night. But I also don't need Shinji to become even more spiteful and aggressive on her, so I guess I will go with Amber and show her why she needs to take Shinji on a cloth buying spree.

Questions so hard to come up with. There are so many possibilities or ways to go with it, that its hard to ask one question that you think he would answer that would not led to a million more. Do you ask a question about the last test? Do you ask a political/philosophy question? Do we ask for advice to how to better ourselves (that give an answer better than go and gain power)? And even harder to factor in, what question are we willing to ask while Hermione is listening?

[X] As the previous challenges have shown, skills and abilities outside of the normal classic Hogwart school set are of large value to a wizard, as a traditional wand solution might not always be available or optimum answer. So would you give us some of your recommendations to what activities or hobbies we should take up on our free time to better train our minds and bodies to sharpen them to their full capability?

If someone has a better question that asks something that we don't already have a clue on, I will change my vote to that, but I figured that having Shinji ask Quirrell at the group level might spark some debate and give suggests that Shinji would never think about.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Hermione will throw a fit and be in Shinji's face all night.
    Hermione, being a Ravenclaw, is ideally not to work with other Ravenclaws (meaning not working with Nigel or Sokaris). So she might be pissed, but she'll also be respectful here, since this is Quirrell's gathering and she respects him.

We might be leaning too much towards Amber
    Yeah and that would be a problem later.
    Good luck with that.

Blog Entries
    [x] Nigel.

Why does it have to be either Amber or Sokaris?

[x] Ask why Hogwarts still maintains the house system when it's clearly not ideal - After all, isn't that very gathering of minds (and Quirrell's challenges as well) proof enough that students from different houses can cooperate without petty rivalries and such? Why does tradition matters more than peace? Why older generations still insist to divide rather than unite?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Why does it have to be either Amber or Sokaris?
    It doesn't. Those are just the first to pop into Shinji's mind.

Blog Entries
    I know Alf, I'm asking voters. x)

Change my vote to:
    [x] Nigel