Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 364144454647485156 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Amber

A possibility for how she might look in the future...

"Well if you put it that way, I think a rapier sounds like a better fit for what I had in mind," Shinji commented, with Phelan grimacing as the Japanese boy made his declaration. "I'll be in your care, Lady Gainsborough."

"A good choice," Amber murmured, giving the boy a smile that made his heart race. "I will arrange for a full set of training gear for you, though it may take a few days to get that sorted."

"What, you have his sizes already?" Phelan exclaimed, narrowing his eyes. "But how...oh right. You did help pick out clothes for him, didn't you?"

"Mhm," the copper-haired girl confirmed, much to her brother's discontent. "We'll give you some directions about how to take care of your new training weapon, and show you how to wear the protective garb, when everything comes in. No need to do waste time by having to repeat ourselves, right?"

"...right," Shinji agreed, though inwardly, he was a little disappointed, as he'd thought the lesson would start today, with Amber perhaps loaning him her sword and correcting his posture, holding his hands in-- "Shall we all go for a walk?" he asked, trying to distract himself from rather inappropriate thoughts about the daughter of a noble house.

"All of us?" Phelan asked carefully. "Or just..."

"All of us," the Japanese boy said brightly. "Perhaps you could show me around?"

"Ah, certainly," the Earl's second son agreed. "What would you like to see? The grounds about the manor? The ruins of the old house? The lakes?"

"...maybe the village?" Shinji asked instead. "We're going to be around the manor all winter, so I wanted to see what things were like in Exton."

"It's well...there's not that much to see," Amber supplied.

"Oh?"

"Only a few hundred people live here," Phelan noted, shaking his head.

"Which I think is part of why you wanted to be an adventurer, right? To see the world?"

"...you've got me there, sister."

"Wow. That's...not a lot of people at all," the Japanese boy mused aloud. "Especially since there a million and a half people in the city I grew up in."

"And what brought you all the way to Britain, and to Hogwarts?" Amber asked curiously.

Shinji sighed and looked away, unable to meet her curious green gaze.

"...my mother's legacy," he said after a few moments. "Let's leave it at that, shall we?"

Deciding to humor their guest, the twins did as Shinji asked, leading the boy from the manor to the quaint little village just outside the grounds of Exton Park. To the boy's surprise, it only took about 15 minutes to go from Exton Hall, the ancestral home of the Earls of Gainsborough, to the tree-planted green just outside the Village Hall - the social center of the village.

"I had my graduation from primary school here," Phelan recalled, shaking his head as he walked up to the doors. "Right before I came to Hogwarts. I grew up here, in this small town, unlike you, sister."

"Well, its true, you attended the village's school, while I went to Malvern St. James," Amber noted with a thoughtful expression. "Three hours away from London by train. But it was one that went direct, unlike the one here."

"Hogwarts and Hogsmeade...they remind me of Exton, actually," Phelan admitted. "Mostly in how small they are, and how everyone knows everyone else. I thought the world outside the village would be grander, full of wonders. But its just full of people, same as every other place. People with their worries. People with their cares. People too caught up in the details of their lives to appreciate the world around them."

"Magic or not, people are people, you know," Amber quipped, shaking her head. "It's strange. You were much more excited than I was when you received your letter, and yet you seem...disappointed."

"While you're never really disappointed because you never expect anything of people, sister," Phelan grumbled. He glanced apologetically at Shinji. "Well, maybe not never, I guess. You do get along with that Natsumi girl."

From there, the two made their way to the War Memorial Garden just off the village green, dedicated to those who had died in the Great War - a number which included one Robert Noel, son of the Third Earl of Gainsborough, many years ago, where they encountered someone they - or at least two of them - hadn't expected to see.

'Is that...'

"Greetings of the season, Miss Tonks," Phelan greeted, his cheeks tinged with just a hint of red as he graced the young woman with a gallant bow.

"Ah, back from school, are ya, Phelan?" the young woman replied, a bright smile gracing her features as she curtseyed to the boy, glancing over his companions. "And you even have friends from school! Did they come to visit for Christmas?"

"Heh, well, one is," the earl's son admitted. "The other...Amber is my sister."

"...Auror Trainee Tonks?" Shinji asked quizzically, with the newcomer's expression going slack with shock as she took a closer look at the two besides Phelan.

"Oh. Oh. The school-age couple, yes!" Tonks said brightly, as Phelan tried very hard to keep his expression from curdling. "Makou Shini and Amber Noel."

"Matou Shinji, actually," the Japanese boy corrected, with a nod. "What a pleasant surprise to see you here!"

"Heh. I'm more surprised to see you two again, since I live close to here, on the other side of Exton Park," Tonks pointed out. "While you two--" Her mouth closed with a click as her thoughts caught up with her tongue, and she turned to Phelan. "Wait, if you all know each other, then when you sai you were going to school, Phelan, did you mean...to Hogwarts?!"

"...yeah," Phelan admitted sheepishly. "You...you're a witch then, Miss Tonks?"

"An Auror, actually," the Metamorphmagus said proudly, puffing out her sizable chest - with the motion drawing Phelan's eyes as certainly as a moth to a flame. "What House? I was a Hufflepuff, which these two know already."

"Gryffindor," the Earl's son said stoutly. "But...how do you know my sister, and...Matou?" He frowned then. "And why...a couple?"

Tonks chuckled, a very pretty sound which made Phelan's cheeks heat up yet further.

"I gave them a tour of the Ministry some time ago, but they were in dress robes then," she recalled, looking them all over. "In more casual clothing, I didn't recognize you."

She smiled impishly.

"Certainly didn't recognize Miss Noel without that sword of hers," Tonks cracked, with Amber smiling just a hint.

"Few people do."

"Heh."

"So how you know my brother, Miss Tonks?" Amber inquired. "You said you live near here, but..."

"Your brother used to visit the memorial garden every weekend, much like I did," the Auror trainee related with an odd expression. "I come here often enough myself, but I didn't know why a schoolboy would. There aren't any pretty girls about, after all."

"There was always one," Phelan mumbled, going red at the admission.

"Heh. I was curious, and asked him one day why he looked at the memorial stones, and do you know what he told me?"

"What?" Amber asked.

"That he was reminding himself that the world outside was dangerous, and that when he went on his great adventure, he would need to make sure never to end up on a stone like this, because otherwise, his sister would cry," Tonks recalled softly. "I didn't know you would both be going to Hogwarts. Have any adventures yet?"

"Oh, just a few..."

There was a bit more conversation, with the young woman revealing that this would be her last winter in Exton, as she and her mother would be moving to London as soon as they sold their cottage.

"I'll miss it but...I think I like the city more," Tonks admitted. "Its more...lively."

That night, after meeting the family over a fairly formal dinner, there is free time, with Shinji being shown to a very spacious room. He's not tired yet, being rather more thoughtful than anything else, and there are some things on his mind.

Even so, what does he choose to do to conclude his first day, before he goes to sleep?

[ ] Meditate - he needs to keep working on Occlumency
    [ ] Study one of the books he's neglected
    [ ] Knock on Phelan's door - it would be good to talk with the boy
    [ ] Knock on Amber's door - it would be good to talk with her
    [ ] Roam the halls alone
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 22nd, 2018 at 12:54 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Study one of the books he's neglected

[X] Meditate - he needs to keep working on Occlumency

[ ] Study one of the books he's neglected

Come on People is a good chance to get a little boost in curses.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Study one of the books he's neglected

But which Book?

[ ] Digging Two Graves
    [ ] A Study into the Possibility of Reversing the Actual and Metaphysical Effects of Natural Death, with Particular Regard to the Reintegration of Essence and Matter

The Matou Shinji Year 1 Midterm Report:

Matou Shinji, Age 11

Charms:
    Year 1
    DADA:
    Year 1
    Potions:
    Year 2
    Transfiguration:
    Year 1
    Herbology:
    Year 1
    History of Magic: "...
    zzzzzzzzzzz...." ("Mou. You were sleeping again, Matou-kun! You were even snoring!")
    Misc:
    Broom Handling - Average

Current Mentor:
    Quirinus Quirrell
    Current Idol:
    Tsuji Miyuki
    Closest Friends:
    Amber Noel, Natsumi Suzuki
    Current Places of Residence:
    Hogwarts, Fuyuki City

Thoughts from teachers:

Quirrell: A most promising student. The choices he makes are always quite fascinating.
    Slughorn: I haven't seen a potioneer of his skill since young Severus. Sadly, even though he's a Hufflepuff, he's about as outgoing as young Severus.
    Binns: Who? Makar, did you say? I don't remember a student by that name.
    Sprout: A model student, with a unusual interest in plants. Or so Miss Tsuji tells me.

And what do others think of him?

Miyuki: Matou-kun is very earnest, if somewhat troubled. I'll be able to depend on him to support Natsumi once I leave.
    Natsumi: A reliable friend, if prone to sleeping in class. Thank goodness the first boy I really interacted with is a nice person.
    Amber: More of a gentleman than the utter boors in Gryffindor. I admit, I'm fond of him.
    Selina: I hadn't thought Matou was so serious, before the Challenge. I wonder why he reacted so much when I joked about him making a pact with a dark power, though.
    Phelan: I envy how he was honored, while Ernie and I were called foolish. I also worry about him / am annoyed by how much he's fallen for my sister.
    Ernie: My friend and comrade in potions. "The very model of a modern major-general", according to Selina, whatever that means.
    Sokaris: Unable to be reached for comment
    Hermione Granger: I don't know why the Professor hasn't found a chance to get rid of him. Matou is evil. A menace to the study body. And if no one else is going to act - then I must.
    Nigel: ...have I offended you in some way, Matou? If so, I'm very sorry. Honestly, I'm a little jealous of how easily you can speak to Tsuji. You've...taken my place as the closest person to her, haven't you?

Group Reputation (out of 100):

Slug Club: 20
    First Years at Hogwarts: 30
    Other Hogwarts Students: 5 ("I think I've heard of him. Maybe.")
    Hogwarts Faculty: 15
    British Ministry of Magic: 15 ("He seems like he might have a promising career, if he is the disciple of an Order of Merlin Winner.")
    Current Affiliations: Hogwarts (Student), Hufflefpuff House (member), Slug Club (Member), "Gathering of Minds" (usual invitee)

Possessions: Worm Wand (Cherry wood + Grail Worm core), Dress Robes (hand-made by Senpai), Second-hand Clothing (assorted), Outfits from Twilfit and Tattings (selected by Amber), Handy Haversack, Books (Snape's old potions book, Digging Two Graves, Occlumency Tome, Cast-a-Spell Kit, Theoretical Necromancy Tome, Russian Hero's Journal [on loan to Sokaris]), Curse-Absorbing Seeds, Hogwarts Chest, Gringotts account (Balance: 1500 Galleons), Felix Felicis (1 hour)

Unlocked abilities: Gemino, Basic Occlumency, Obscurus Transformation [Treat as Mad Enhancement EX]

Obscurial Form:
    Physical Transformation unlocked. Unable to be controlled at current level of ability, but can be suppressed with help.

Special Locations Unlocked:
    Hogwarts (Kitchens, Forbidden Forest [forgotten], the Special Projects Greenhouse), Exton Hall

Kill Count: Unicorns (3), Troll (1), Acromantulae (All Except 10) - Courtesy of his Obscurial Mode
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 22nd, 2018 at 01:23 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    [x] Digging Two Graves.

[x] Digging Two Graves.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Digging Two Graves.

There are several categories of curses one could study. One category involves curses placed on objects and which take effect when someone touches them. There are curses you place on another person, with the power to alter their destiny forever. And then there are curses you place on yourself, whether as a way to make yourself stronger by accepting a demerit for a boon, or as means of deterrence or vengeance.

Which type of curse would you like to study?

[ ] Curses on objects
    [ ] Curses best applied to others
    [ ] Curses applied to the self

[x] Curses applied to the self

[X] Curses best applied to others

[X] Curses on objects

I am leery of curses that target Shinji without further examples. But curses on Objects sound like it would be very utilitarian, in that it can be used on and off a battlefield. Imagine cursing the ground tiles forcing the enemy to not dodge or maneuver them to where you want. Cursing people might be important but that is the stuff that is far far less subtle. I think I would prefer a more subtle approach with objects.

"Hey Phelen, let me see what you got Hermione before you give it to her..." *cast curse on her present*

I do believe that Alf had fun writing this mid year review with all the thoughts from people. But if Slughorn thinks Shinji is anti-social here then he needs to see Ravenclaw Shinji.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    One example of a curse you'd cast on yourself is the "Chains of Fate." It basically means that if someone kills you, then they are killed as well. At the same time, you are barred from using other fate manipulation abilities.

Another is "Living Wall", which drastically improves your affinity for defense skills like barriers, shields, counter spells, but nearly cripples your offensive talents.

The curse of immunity is another, making you resistant to all witchcraft, for good or for ill.

Things in this line.

Hooray, almost all of our social links are somewhat positive (unlike normal Shinji, heh)

Good to have yet another reminder that Hermione hates us forever lol

But dang, poor Nigel, we should probably be nicer to him

"A Study into the Possibility of Reversing the Actual and Metaphysical Effects of Natural Death, with Particular Regard to the Reintegration of Essence and Matter", what is this

[X] Curses on objects

hell yeah

[X] Curses on objects

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Curses on objects

When magi thought of witchcraft, they didn't think of transfiguration, the charms one tended to learn in Professor Flitwick's classes, healing or defense against the dark arts. They thought of potions...and they thought of curses - the black magic that could shape destinies, bend fates, twist minds.

That was why, when Matou Shinji had learned he had been accepted to an institute focusing on witchcraft (prudently ignoring what the letter said about wizardry, since that had to be an empty boast), he'd spent what spare funds he had on two items: a book on Occlumency, the art of protecting the mind from outside influence, and a comprehensive book on curses, so that he wouldn't fall behind his peers in this area.

Yet, for all that he was a good student, and had never failed to rise to an academic challenge, the boy had found that the practical aspects of protecting his mind took up quite a bit of time and effort, enough that he hadn't been able to spare time for more than the most basic exercise in Digging Two Graves, a charm designed to allow budding practitioners of the Dark arts to create disposable items they could use for practicing their arts.

Enchantment, after all, was best done on a blank object - something which isn't already laced with prana and intent, lest there be...dangerous interactions. It was a complex, subtle art, especially when one was working with more deadly effects, since the enchanter was not immune to the effects of his or her cursed items.

Some of these effects might be as simple as heating an object when exposed to someone's life force. Others might require something a bit more to trigger, like shocking someone who tried to pick a lock or reducing someone who supplied a wrong password to ashes.

It was no small thing to imbue objects with such effects, after all, sometimes requiring a bit of soulstuff - either your own or another's - to make it stick (which was typical of true curses, given that to cast a curse was to dig two graves, as the old saying went).

'Huh. Maybe that's why the Dark Arts - the proper stuff, not the watered down business Britain talked about today - has fallen out of favor. They don't want power, just versatility.'

Too much power in the hands of individuals made it difficult to have a proper society, as it would make enforcement of law or regulation quite difficult.

A shame, as his reading suggested that a powerful enough practitioner - who had a very clear vision of what one wanted - could even affect concepts or categories without a physical object needed. As an example, one might be able to say...curse anyone who was appointed to teach History of Magic at Hogwarts, or say, whoever became the heir of a family.

What strategy will Shinji use to work on curses when he returns to Hogwarts?

[ ] Continue working on Occlumency - everything stems from this
    [ ] Try creating cursed items using his Gemino copies
    [ ] (write-in)

The second day at Exton Hall, Amber greets Shinji early in the morning. Apparently, the Earl and his wife, the Countess, will be heading to London again today for a series of meetings, and wanted to offer his youngest children, just returned from school, a chance to come to the City with him - though they are welcome to decline or to do another activity once there.

[ ] Stay at Exton Hall
    [ ] Go to London and
    ... [ ] Visit the Moores
    ... [ ] Visit the British Museum
    ... [ ] See a play - perhaps something Shakespeare?
    ... [ ] Visit Buckingham Palace, see the London Eye, etc
    ... [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 21st, 2018 at 05:28 PM.

[X] Continue working on Occlumency - everything stems from this

[X] Visit the British Museum
    Last edited by shanagan; April 21st, 2018 at 11:54 PM.

Phelen has to love this place. Thought I am sure that the twins would differ on what they would like to see there. Plus really won't Shinji be curious about the place?

If we really wanted something different with the twins I suggest they stop at the Chinatown as its not that far away from BM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Continue working on Occlumency.

[x] Go to London and
    ... [x] Contact Natsumi and Selina, having them join your group as you visit Buckingham Palace, see the London Eye, etc...

It's not like they would intrude with meeting the Earl. Natsumi is likely familiar with Amber's parents and Selina knows how to behave and adapt.

Let's make it a memorable tour.
    Last edited by Daiki; April 21st, 2018 at 07:36 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For your reading pleasure

The Hermione Granger Year 1 Midterm Report:

Hermione Granger, Age 12

Charms
    : Year 1.5
    DADA: Year 2.5
    Potions: Year 1
    Transfiguration: Year 1
    Herbology: Year 1
    History of Magic: 1
    Misc: Broom Handling - Average

Current Mentor: Quirinus Quirrell
    Sworn Enemy: Matou Shinji
    Closest Friends: Sialim Sokaris, Nigel Wroxton
    Current Places of Residence: Hogwarts, London

Thoughts from teachers:

Quirrell: Truly, the fire in Miss Granger is admirable. It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?
    Slughorn: Miss Granger is highly competent, but her work is hardly spectacular. A solid E student.
    Binns: Miss Granatstein? One of the few who enjoys taking notes in my class. Very quiet though.
    Flitwick: A very intense young woman. Very curious about my past as a champion duelist!

And what do others think of her?

Robert Hillard: Hermione Granger is something of a problem student. Defensive, wary, verging on paranoid, she only seems to trust two people - Sialim Sokaris and Nigel Wroxton. She's not much of a people person, and while the same can be said for many Ravenclaws, not too many come running back to the Tower in tears, with shredded clothes. I worry about the company she keeps.
    Phelan: Miss Granger joined my challenge team with Professor Quirrell's recommendation. Frankly, I find her a proud but troubled girl, and as a knight, is it not my duty to assist damsels in distress? I uh...hope she ever finds out about my involvement in what happened with Filch though. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't end well.
    Ron Weasley: Merlin's balls, what is wrong with this girl?
    Sokaris
    : Unable to be reached for comment
    Nigel: I sometimes find her in the common room, late at night, when no one else is there. Often, she's crying and weak from exhaustion. She works herself to the bone, long after the rest of us turn in. I wonder why. I asked - but she wouldn't say, only saying that she had to stop him, whoever h is. I wonder what happened, and if Matou reminds her of someone who hurt her.Shinji Matou: I don't know what your problem is, Granger, and I don't really care if you do something to me. But if you hurt my friends, I will end you.Group Reputation (out of 100):

First Years at Hogwarts: 5 ("I heard of her. The know-it-all who screamed during flying class.")
    Other Hogwarts Students: 10 ("A troublemaker.")
    Hogwarts Faculty: 15
    Current Affiliations: Hogwarts (Student), Ravenclaw House (member), "Gathering of Minds" (once)

Possessions: Quirrell's Gift (Wand - Cherry wood + Dragon Heartstring core), Basilisk Skin Robes (Gift from Quirrell), Bracers, Wand-holster, Books (Cast-a-Spell Kit, Assorted on loan from Nigel), Hair Potions, Hogwarts Chest

Unlocked abilities: Stupefy, Basic Occlumency
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; April 22nd, 2018 at 09:47 AM.