Page 51 of 91 FirstFirst ... 414649505152535661 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1809

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

Blog Entries
    [x] A Country Cottage (30,000 Galleons)

Fast travel point in Great Britain (Floo Network) + House Elf (Can apparate even within protected areas like Hogwarts) + Personal workshop. Who knows? You may even cultivate Miyuki seeds / plants in your own garden.

Why wouldn't you want that? Sure, it is an important sum but, think of the potential implications over time.

[x] Duelist Wardrobe (5000 Galleons)

Required if Shinji wishes to improve his status and image.

[x] Minister's Ball tickets
    [x] Common: 2000 galleons for two.

Either go with someone or don't. Shinji would have an easier time with support while dealing with people of higher status.
    Last edited by Daiki; May 2nd, 2018 at 01:36 AM.

[X] Country Cottage (30K)

Its an investment on the twins as they will likely get more out of the place considering it gives them a place to cast magic at. Thought if Shinji would use it if he spends the summer in Britain, which at this point is looking more and more the better option since its doubtful that Shinji could hold together back at his family's estate.

[X] Duelist Wardrobe (5K)
    [X] Ministry Ball Tickets (2K)

I am not completely sold on the idea that tickets is worth the price but hey no point buying the cloths if you not going to wear them considering that these tickets cost more than all the wand holsters did and the knife put together. All for one night. But hey I guess Shinji needs to work on his public image considering that he is a Puff and came to Hogwarts looking shabby with used clothes. Thought if we do take Amber (and really there is no one better to take at the moment) I think we solidify other people's opinions that the two are dating.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Given the way the votes are going, it looks like Shinji will be purchasing the following:

[x] Country Cottage (30k)
    [x] Duelist Wardrobe (5k)
    [x] Ministry Ball Tickets (2k)

Current balance:
    22.4k Galleons

Given that this is the case, Shinji has some decisions to make:

When he goes to the Ministry to meet the people he's buying the house from, he discovers - much to his surprise - that the person who is going to be changing the name on the deed is none other than Auror Trainee Tonks, who seems taken aback at the sight of him, mostly because an 11 year old buying a house sounds like something out of a joke.

"...you're not a metamorphmagus who has decided to infiltrate Hogwarts for some reason, are you?" she joked, on recognizing him. "Using a false name, perhaps?"

"Would I admit it if I was?" Shinji snorted.

"Admittedly, no, and I suppose its really none of my business as long as you're not breaking any laws," Tonks allowed. She crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow. "Just tell me one thing. Why a house?"

"...it sounded like a good idea at the time?" the boy offered.

"...well, you're definitely that Noel kid's friend, I'll say that," Tonks noted with some amusement. "So, will it just be you who owns the house?" She lowered her voice, her lips curving up into a saucy smile. "Or will you be sharing it with Miss Noel. Your girlfriend, right?"

"I-its not like that!" Shinji exclaimed, blushing violently at the insinuation. "D-don't get the wrong idea. Sh-she's not my girlfriend or anything."

"If you say so, Mister Matou. So - what will it be?"

Who will have their names on the deed? Aside from his, that is.

[ ] Amber - she negotiated the original deal with the auction house that made this purchase possible, so he might as well credit her
    [ ] Amber and Phelan - the property was basically built on their land.
    [ ] Senpai - surely this will be a nice gift for her
    [ ] (write-in)

Who does he invite to the Minister's Ball?

[ ] Amber, who he previously took to an event at the Ministry
    [ ] Natsumi - after all, she's getting him a ticket to a New Years gala, so its only fair that he take her to this
    [ ] Selina, as he would like to get to know her better
    [ ] (write-in)

Also, Shinji currently has three wands - one more than he can actually carry on his holsters. Choose a wand to give away or put into storage.

[ ] Cherry + Worm wand
    [ ] Willow + unicorn hair wand
    [ ] Holly + phoenix feather wand
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] Senpai - surely this will be a nice gift for her
    [ ] Natsumi - after all, she's getting him a ticket to a New Years gala, so its only fair that he take her to this
    [ ] Holly + phoenix feather wand

Blog Entries
    [x] Senpai - surely this will be a nice gift for her.

Spoiler:
    If it helps secure that she will remain in Britain, why not. If she doesn't stay, well, she gets a place away from her likely stressful family business during holidays. And since it's close to Amber's place, Natsumi can visit both at the same time.

I think it's a decent way to give back for what she did for Shinji, offering a sanctuary of sorts when he felt bad, and also for the seeds that protects you from instant death.

[x] Sokaris.

Spoiler:
    Because we don't have a gift for her yet. While she may not enjoy the event as much as another could, she is likely to gather decent data about the guests (Quirrell?), which could become valuable in the near future.

Amber makes more sense here, yes. But it would be interpreted as another significant step towards a romantic outcome (or catastrophe if we decide later not to court her) with Amber. And to be fair, Shinji is already spending his winter vacation with her. Plenty opportunities for a rise in score without locking into her route or nearing that point.

[x] Keep The
    Cherry & Holly wands - Store the Willow wand.

Spoiler:
    As for the wand, a quick read about materials gave me this;

Holly is one of the rarer kinds of wand woods; traditionally considered protective, it works most happily for those who may need help overcoming a tendency to anger and impetuosity.

Willow is an uncommon wand wood with healing power, and I have noted that the ideal owner for a willow wand often has some (usually unwarranted) insecurity, however well they may try and hide it.

We're trying to fix Shinji's insecurities, not remain in that state, so while the Willow wand would certainly be more efficient until Shinji gets better, I think it counterproductive to rely on something that exploits his anxiety. The holly wand is also less likely to change allegiances as well.

I'm fine with it if you prefer to give Sokaris a wand and take someone else to the ball. The reason I didn't go with that one is because there's no much meaning in giving away a wand to her (what is she going to do with it, honestly). She likely already has procured herself a wand that is perfectly attuned to her. Sure, giving's his mother's wand could be seen as a proof of how close Shinji is to Sion but, given that he hasn't went out of his way to befriend her in that way makes it coming kind of out of the blue.

If we're going with a material gift, at least let it be something with some amount of knowledge, the death studies tome with his mother's notes for example.
    Last edited by Daiki; May 3rd, 2018 at 03:56 AM.

[X] Amber and Phelan - the property was basically built on their land.

Sempai does not need the house. She does not want the house. She worried about moving to Japan people and its not like a house that Shinji owns would not welcome her at any moment, no matter what. I see no god darn good reason why we should give sempai a darn house that she in no way needs or wants. She has no use for this as well as her family already has the money to have places to stay. I am not about to let us buy another house for a girl people. We did that already once. Just let the house be a clubhouse with the twins so that Shinji can keep a close connection with both Twins. Or simply let him own the house on his own.

[X] Amber, who he previously took to an event at the Ministry

She is the logical choice here so I am voting for her. I am not hating the idea of taking Natsumi but I think this is more Amber's thing. And Sokaris makes no good darn sense. Shinji is not close to her really. She is not likely available cause she off doing deals it seems with Quirrell. She has no real motivation to wheel and deal with the elites of the wizard world and she really would not want the spotlight that this event would give her. Shinji of the other fic would give her the ticket in a heart beat but I am not sold that Shinji would even consider it.

[X] Keep Willow and Holly Wand; Store the Cherry Wand

Ok. I know this choice is not going to be popular and honestly I am not that strongly against another wand pick as long as we don't give his mothers's wand to Sokaris (She is not close enough to Shinji to warrant this reaction, go find/buy some tome to give her instead). But to me Shinji has been moving away from his family ever since his first Quirrell trial and Shinji been slowly having to deal with his own issues. I think he needs to put aside his wand that his Grandfather gave for a little while and gain control of himself. This overpowered Yin infused super wand is not helping Shinji stay in balance at this moment. So I purpose that we cast it aside for the rest of the year.

Give time for Shinji to deal with his own issues before we add the power and influence of his Cherry wand again. Next year I would be find with switching it out with say the willow wand if Shinji has pieced himself back together a bit more. Think of it this way, in Broken Chains route we did not just jump into learning water element just because he would be awesome at it because it took a lot of willpower to control. This Cherry wand is a similar issue.

[X] Only Shinji
    [X] Natsumi - after all, she's getting him a ticket to a New Years gala, so its only fair that he take her to this
    Last edited by shanagan; May 3rd, 2018 at 02:01 AM.

[X] Amber and Phelan - the property was basically built on their land.
    [X] Natsumi - after all, she's getting him a ticket to a New Years gala, so its only fair that he take her to this
    [X] Willow + unicorn hair wand

I think canon Neville showed that using your parent wand is not the best idea. Better to put it into storage.
    Last edited by Desann; May 3rd, 2018 at 01:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Its not like a house that Shinji owns would not welcome her at any moment, no matter what. I see no god darn good reason why we should give sempai a darn house that she in no way needs or wants.
    I think it's a matter of accessibility. Her schedule will not necessarily align with Shinji's if she goes to Mahoutokoro.

There's also the bit about the kind of protections Lucius might have put in place in order to keep ministry's employees from barging in. Even more so when it may have been one of the few safe places to hide stuff he wouldn't want to go public. There might even be secret rules about succession line effectively making someone from the Malfoy family the technical owner in spite of Shinji's contract or being the Secret Keeper. (Certainly wouldn't put it past Lucius)

In short, depending on the contract and the protections on the House, she may end up being denied access as a guest. Which would be rather inconvenient. I see no issue with letting her know that Shinji trusts her with this. What is there to lose really?

She has no use for this as well as her family already has the money to have places to stay.
    It's not a matter of need. It's a matter of her knowing that she has a place who will welcome her when the time comes she needs a break. While Shinji being sole owner could result in the same thing on paper, I would rather be sure she has access to it when she needs it, and not only when Shinji is available.

I am not about to let us buy another house for a girl people. We did that already once.
    That's not what it is about here. The intent is completely different from Rin who had no other place to be. It would simply act as a place for Miyuki to stop by when she needs to relax or cool down (and maybe even dab into gardening if it's available). She will not need to actually live here (and likely wouldn't want to anyway).

Just let the house be a clubhouse with the twins so that Shinji can keep a close connection with both Twins.
    I wouldn't allow the cottage that would act as Shinji's workshop (when he studies curses) to be open to the likes of Phelan (who could even end up inviting Hermione or Ron). That's only asking for a disaster.

If you want a playground / gathering place, there's plenty of space on their own domain already.

Or simply let him own the house on his own.
    That would at least be better than allowing Phelan free reigns in the house.

And Sokaris makes no good darn sense. Shinji is not close to her really. She is not likely available cause she off doing deals it seems with Quirrell. She has no real motivation to wheel and deal with the elites of the wizard world and she really would not want the spotlight that this event would give her. Shinji of the other fic would give her the ticket in a heart beat but I am not sold that Shinji would even consider it.
    Yeah, I already stated that I'm not against swapping this vote. There's zero need to come that strongly onto me, relax. However, even if I were to change this one, I will not go with Amber. She gets enough attention already while being in a comfortable area in term of score.

I find it actually surprising that you are so adamant about not repeating mistakes of the past when it comes to the house (Rin), yet you're pushing for Amber that much early on (Hermione). I genuinely want to hear what you have to say about that one because we both know whichever romantic interest is picked, it won't become a thing before third / fourth year. Why the rush?

Sure, she is the logical choice here. But does it absolutely have to be her? I don't think so, hence why I'll swap for;

[x] Natsumi - after all, she's getting him a ticket to a New Years gala.
    Last edited by Daiki; May 3rd, 2018 at 04:06 AM.

[X] Only Shinji

Since we actually bought the house and plan to make it into a workshop, it would be best to have Shinji only own the house
    Amber: 1st kiss, & now we buy a house together, wow
    Amber/Phelan: Phelan might be a problem to the whole "secret magus workshop thing"
    Senpai: it might be too late for Shinji already, but buying a house for her might be taking the senpai thing a bit too far imo

No way are we going with Amber (same reason as above)
    We should hang out with Natsumi more + she invited us to a thing so this is paying her back
    Selina's cool and all but we already invited her to the museum

Same reason as Skull Leader

Question: are we still doing family route or are we just gonna do our own thing
    Who would've guessed Shinji would have this Obscurus thing going on back at page 1
    By the time he goes back to Fuyuki, he might end up MDKing Sakura and confronting Zouken
    Last edited by Haunter; May 3rd, 2018 at 09:18 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter View Post
    Who would've guessed Shinji would have this Obscurus thing going on back at page 1
    By the time he goes back to Fuyuki, he might end up MDKing Sakura and confronting Zouken
    If people had waited to do Quirrell's challenge, worked with someone they knew, or at least, not run into the Boggart, this entire line of events might be different. Instead they went as soon as possible with some random Ravenclaw, leading to the entire turn of events.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Senpai - surely this will be a nice gift for her

While I agree with Skull Leader that Myuki doesn't need a place to stay - she desperately needs friend's support and approval. Why don't give em to her?

[x] Natsumi - after all, she's getting him a ticket to a New Years gala, so its only fair that he take her to this
    [x] Keep The Cherry & Holly wands - Store the Willow wand.

Balanced set of villain and hero wands. Willow is more of an heirloom than the actual tool.

I love how the forum fall into the demon form's sidequest because they can't wait to be better prepared.
    Guys you never disappoint me.

Change my vote to:
    [x] Keep The Cherry & Holly wands - Store the Willow wand

[X] Only Shinji
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; May 3rd, 2018 at 12:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter View Post
    Question: are we still doing family route or are we just gonna do our own thing
    Fair question. Focus seems pretty scattered right now.

A note of importance is that there probably won't be meaningful family interactions for a while, since Shinji would basically go on a rampage if he were to meet with them. Any of them is susceptible to trigger him with a few words or simply showing up. While I doubt Shinji can do much to Zouken, Sakura or Byakuya would get instantly killed.

You can still send mail and gifts in the meantime though.

Changed my vote to
    [X] Only Shinji

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Name on Deed: [X] Only Shinji
    Wands: [x] Keep The Cherry & Holly wands - Store the Willow wand
    Ball: [x] Natsumi - after all, she's getting him a ticket to a New Years gala, so its only fair that he take her to this

Followup to these questions....

Will Shinji be storing it, or giving it away?

[ ] Storing it
    [ ] In his Vault at Gringotts
    [ ] In his school chest
    [ ] In his school bag
    [ ] In a vault in his new cottage
    [ ] Giving it away - to Miyuki, given its emotional value

Does Shinji tell the twins about the cottage he bought?

[ ] Yes

[ ] And give them keys, so they can access it anytime
    [ ] And tell his new House Elf to let them in when asked
    [ ] But say they can only be there when he is
    [ ] No

Who else does he tell?

[ ] (write-in)

[X] Storing it
    [X] In a vault in his new cottage
    [X] Yes
    [x] And tell his new House Elf to let them in when asked.
    [x] Tell Natsumi & Miyuki.
    Last edited by shanagan; May 4th, 2018 at 01:51 AM.

[X] Storing it
    [X] No

[X] Storing it
    [X] No

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Really? No telling the twins, even though they're practically neighbors?