Page 58 of 91 FirstFirst ... 8485356575859606368 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1809

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[x] Hufflepuff
    [x] More about the hidden histories of the world

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Hufflepuff
    [x] More about the hidden histories of the world

From the Notes of Selina Moore:
    Potions and Papers - Edition 0.07

Setting: The enchanted castle of Swinverrucas and its grounds, abode to the Archmagus Wulfric Bombyll Percival, and a center for magical learning.

Notable NPCs (Part 1):

Matou Shinji - Warlock (+WIS/CHA / -STR) - Patron: (A fiend of Shadowfell?) - Born into a line of sorcerers, this one was blessed with great intelligence, but alas, no natural aptitude for the gifts of his bloodline. Cast aside as the heir of his family, in favor of his more gifted sister, he stewed in frustration, crying to whatever might hear him for power enough to overturn everything. And from the shadows, something answered, breathing power into him, reshaping his flesh and and soul at the price of becoming a human gate, a yet to be awakened conduit for his patron's eventual emergence onto this plane of existence.

Amber Gainsborough - Bard (+DEX/CHA / - STR) (Note: Princess would be amusing, but not practical) - If one asked A. Gainsborough what she wanted, she would likely say nothing, knowing that it was inopportune to admit to a desire for not just fame, but power. Third-born of a powerful noble line, she was destined to be married off to some suitor to increase her family's influence, but refused to be merely a pawn in someone else's game of thrones. So she fled her ancestral home, with nothing more than the clothes on her back, a lute, a small bag of coins, and an enchanted rapier (Luck Blade), once offered to her family in payment as the price of a man's life. As one gently born, finding a place for herself was not easy, yet with the rapier by her side, she managed to gain a reputation as a bard, or was it a wizard?

Phelan Noel - Paladin (+STR/CON/CHA / - INT) - Second-born to a noble line, given to the Church of Lathander as a youth to avoid a succession dispute within the House of Noel. Though not blessed with the aptitude to be a particularly good cleric, he proved more enthusiastic at the more martial callings of his god. His vitality and desire to become something more gained the favor of his god, and so he was made a paladin. While wandering the roads, doing good deeds in the name of his deity, he (and his guide, a man named Fil'ich) stumbled upon the ancient Vault of Secrets and its guardian beast, a venom-eyed basilisk. They were defeated by the creature, with Fil'ich devoured and Phelan left for dead, though before he slipped from this mortal coil, he was rescued by a traveling bard and her companion.

Natsumi Suzuki - Rogue / Sorcerer (+DEX/CON / - STR)- Once a prosperous merchant's daughter, until her house fell into ruin due to the machinations of rival clans, with her father dying in a reckless attempt to discover a lost treasure to restore their fortunes. In the years that followed, she became a fairly successful pickpocket and thief, partially due to her drive to take revenge on the houses which ruined hers, and partially because she needed to support her ailing mother. Her luck ran out, however, on the day she attempted to pull one over on a woman from across the Eastern Sea. What exactly happened after that is unknown, but when it was over, the woman was gone - as was the entire town. The Houses on which she'd sought revenge. What was left of her family. Everything. Erased as if it never was. All that remained was her, and the gift of magic newly awakened within her. Today, she accompanies Gainsborough on her travels, wanting to find out more about the woman who changed her life forever - the Maiden of Winter.

Hermione Granger - Ranger with "Dark Wizards" or "Warlocks" as a favored enemy? (doesn't fit perfectly, so we might use a homebrew Inquisitor class, but close enough) Stat preference is (+STR/INT / -CHA) - Once, Granger wanted nothing more than to be a wizard and learn the arcane arts. However, an encounter with a Warlock early in her studies at Swinverrucas left her traumatized, with a grudge towards spellcasters - especially warlocks, who she considers to be invariably evil, and wishes to slay for the greater good.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 31st, 2018 at 07:58 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    "This is well and good, but if what you are asking is part of a divination technique, then how does it work, exactly?" Xenophilius questioned archly, turning his attention to the copper-haired girl. "That is, if you know."

Amber's only response was to shrug.

"Don't ask me - I'm not the one who came up with it," she replied diffidently. "Though from what you have I said...divine that you were a Ravenclaw."

"...did you divine that, truly?" the man asked, blinking rapidly, before peering at her owlishly. "Or did you just guess?"

"Well, that just now was a guess, because you valued wisdom and intelligence, where the motto of Ravenclaw is 'wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure,'" Amber explained, with Xenophilius nodding.

"And yet your comrade was able to read more..." the editor of the Quibbler noted contemplatively. "Where might she have learned such a technique?"

"She mentioned something about her brother in Faerûn," the copper-haired girl related. "Perhaps she learned from him?"

"Perhaps," the man said pensively. "I know nothing of this Faerûn, although I have traveled the world looking for the elusive Crumple-horned Snorkack. Do you know the land she speaks of?"

"All I know is that it is a most dangerous place," Amber replied solemnly. "Full of beasts thought lost, and things of old, where only the brave or foolish truly thrive. A place of hidden caverns and artifacts, of monsters far beyond the ken of mortal men, of great feats of heroism, and of terrible evil."

"Such a thing..." Tonks noted, half-entranced and half-repulsed by the description the earl's daughter provided. "Why would..." She paused, shaking her head. "Why would anyone willingly spend time in such a place?"

A place where the world was untamed by magic, or perhaps where it had been twisted.

She'd heard others - usually Unspeakables - whisper about such places - places where things of old lingered, from which even the strongest wizard might not return.

"Because he and his comrades seek adventure wherever they can find it," Amber replied evenly, "not content with the trappings of their everyday lives."

"...heh. So they're like that, huh?"

Tonks knew people like that herself. The ones who became hit wizards or Aurors not because of the very respectable salary, but because of the danger, people for wore the trappings of civilization loosely, if at all.

Even her mentor, Mad-Eye Moody, was like that - a powerful, brutal man who was more at home on a battlefield than anywhere else.

"So she tells me," the copper-haired girl noted, with the table going silent from the heaviness of the topic.

"I wonder, then," Luna Lovegood cut in, after a time, her dream-like voice dispersing some of the gloom that hung over the group. "Which house I would be most suited for, based on the divination?"

"Hufflepuff," Shinji replied immediately, much to everyone's curiosity. "You don't think much of Charisma, so I don't think you'd likely become a Slytherin. Nor do you value intelligence in and of itself, so that counts out Ravenclaw. Wisdom can be found anywhere, but I think its best discovered through hard work."

"I must disagree," Phelan interrupted. "A lovely young lady willing to approach complete strangers because she found you curious has to be a Gryffindor. Such a thing takes courage, more than hard work, would you not agree?"

"More than courage, it speaks of a desire for knowledge, a curiosity that transcends fear," Amber pointed out. "Which is more suitable for something like Ravenclaw, no?" She glanced at Shinji then, as if remembering something. "Granted, that doesn't describe one of the Ravenclaws we know at all, but..."

"...but you cannot divine which I will end up in, can you?" came the question.

Shinji shook his head.

"I can't," he admitted. "As Amber said, I'm not the one who came up with this technique. Not that I think I'd be able to divine much of anything if I did."

"Oh?"

The boy sighed.

"I'm...not good when it comes to thinking of things that might be," he said, looking down at his glass of water. "I'm better at dealing with the things in front of me. Things I can hold. Things I can touch. Things I can change."

"Heh. A Hufflepuff through and through," Tonks noted. "I suppose that means you have no idea what you want to be when you graduate then?"

Shinji looked at the Auror trainee strangely.

"...I'm a first year. It's a little early to be worrying about that, isn't it?"

"Maybe," the Hogwarts alumna answered. "Still, I knew I wanted to be an Auror since the day I first came to Hogwarts. Don't you have a dream of what you might want to be?"

Does he? If so, what is his dream?

[ ] He really hasn't thought about it
    [ ] To become powerful enough that the world itself is forced to acknowledge his existence
    [ ] To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe...to reach the unreachable star
    [ ] Stay silent, because admitting that he doesn't care what he becomes as long as he can stay by senpai's side is too embarrassing for words
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; May 31st, 2018 at 11:55 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] He really hasn't thought about it

Likely a lie. But Shinji has too much conflict in his emotions, and nature this year to really answer this question in a safe manner. He wants acknowledge from the world but power...is not the end goal but the way to get that acknowledge. Sempai is a big motivation for him but he not yet quite reached the point that he would damn the world around him for her yet. So delay, delay.

I am not fully sold on this answer but I am not in love with the others. Dream the impossible dream is the one I like but that not really the one for this Shinji. That one fits maybe Phelen or BC Shinji for sure.

[X] To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe...to reach the unreachable star

Blog Entries
    [x] He has many dreams... during History class.

It's not like all answers have to fall within edgy or serious categories.

Become the first dark lord who is the life of a party!
    Last edited by Daiki; June 1st, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    [x] He has many dreams... during History class.
    Ha! I suppose acknowledgement of the issue is the first step to a cure.

Chapter 29. Portents

"This is well and good, but if what you are asking is part of a divination technique, then how does it work, exactly?" Xenophilius questioned archly, turning his attention to the copper-haired girl. "That is, if you know."

Amber's only response was to shrug.

"Don't ask me - I'm not the one who came up with it," she replied diffidently. "Though from what you have said I can, ah...divine that you were a Ravenclaw."

"...did you divine that, truly?" the man asked, blinking rapidly, before peering at her owlishly. "Or did you just guess?"

"Well, that just now was a guess, because you valued wisdom and intelligence, where the motto of Ravenclaw is 'wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure,'" Amber explained, with Xenophilius nodding.

"And yet your comrade was able to read more..." the editor of the Quibbler noted contemplatively. "I wonder…where might she have learned such a technique?"

"She mentioned something about her brother and his comrades being adventurers in Faerûn," the copper-haired girl related. "Perhaps she learned from one of them?"

"Perhaps," the man said pensively. "I know nothing of this Faerûn, myself.” Which, though he had visited many lands in search of the elusive Crumple-horned Snorkack, didn’t really mean much, as the world was a very vast place indeed. “Has she said much about it? "

"Not too much. All I know is that it is a most dangerous place," Amber replied solemnly, with no trace of levity on her features. "Full of beasts thought lost, and things of old, where only the brave or foolish truly thrive. A place of hidden caverns and artifacts, of monsters far beyond the ken of mortal men, of great feats of heroism and of terrible evil.”

"Such a thing..." Tonks noted, half-entranced and half-repulsed by the description the earl's daughter provided. "It sounds…” She sighed. “Why..." She paused, shaking her head. "Why would anyone willingly spend time in such a place?"

She'd heard others – usually Unspeakables – whisper about such places when they thought no one else could hear – places where things of old lingered, where old curses and powers held sway, against which even an Auror – one of the country’s elites – stood little chance.

For herself, she couldn’t imagine why someone would become an adventurer if it took them into places like that? Maybe they liked the sensation of living on the edge, of fighting for their lives? Perhaps they were the sort that simply couldn’t live under the restrictions and shackles of human society and so left it for a place where only might and magic mattered?

‘A treacherous land of dungeons and dragons, no doubt. Some forgotten realm no reasonable person has ever heard of…’

"Because he and his comrades tired of their ordinary lives, and so sought the excitement of adventure," Amber replied evenly. The copper-haired girl smiled faintly. "Choosing to write their own stories, to see where the limits of their abilities were, away from the rules of this land.”

"...heh,” the Auror trainee muttered. “So, it was like that, huh?"

Being perfectly honest, it wasn’t as if she didn’t know people like that herself. After all, those who became hit wizards or Aurors usually weren’t drawn to the position because of the respectable salary or the respect it gave one in wizarding society, but because of the danger, and the chance to test one’s skills.

Perhaps the best example was Mad-Eye Moody, her mentor as an Auror, a powerful, brutal man who seemed more at home on a battlefield than in the office or in any social setting, who found it easier to communicate with others through spells than mere words.

"So, Selina tells me," the copper-haired girl noted, with the table going silent from the heaviness of the topic. “I don’t think such a life suits me, personally, but it might suit my brother.”

“…well, I can’t really deny that,” the boy grumbled. “It would be good for people to know about my adventures too though, much like those of Gilderoy Lockhart. After all, the deeds of knights and heroes should be remembered, not forgotten.”

“Spoken like a Gryffindor, truly,” Tonks quipped.

"I wonder, then," Luna Lovegood cut in, after a time, her dream-like voice dispersing some of the gloom that hung over the group. "Which house I would be most suited for?”

“Based on what, exactly?” Shinji questioned. He’d only known for perhaps an hour or two, which seemed too short an acquaintance to make a judgment like that. Though…the Sorting Hat did choose people’s houses within minutes (at most) of touching their heads.

“The divination, perhaps?" the blonde responded, with the Japanese boy nodding. He supposed that made sense.

“Well, in that case…” Shinji mused, closing his eyes momentarily. "Hufflepuff." His declaration drew the attention of the table, as they had expected something else. "Since you don't think much of Charisma, I don't think you'd likely become a Slytherin. Nor do you value intelligence in and of itself, so that counts out Ravenclaw. And while wisdom can be found anywhere, you also value constitution – or endurance – which makes you particularly well suited to hard work."

"I must disagree," Phelan interrupted. "You cannot decide someone’s house based on a question like that, can you? After all, a lovely young lady willing to approach complete strangers because she found one of them curious, without a sliver of fear, just has to be a Gryffindor. Such a thing takes courage, more than hard work, would you not agree?"

“But what is courage without fear?” the boy from the east questioned. “If someone is simply fearless, that doesn’t make them brave. Courage is having the strength to face fear, not its absence.”

“You’re both wrong,” Amber declared, shaking her head. “Or at least, being particular biased towards your own House. Miss Lovegood approaching you out of curiosity, Matou, speaks of a desire for knowledge that transcends fear," Amber pointed out. "Which is more suitable for something like Ravenclaw, no?" She glanced at Shinji then, who was making a face as if he found that comparison particularly foul. "Granted, that doesn't describe one of the Ravenclaws we know at all, but I think it likely describes Sialim Sokaris well enough. She doesn’t ever seem to be afraid, I’ve noticed."

Shinji felt a shiver go down his spine as he recalled the day that the purple-haired girl had stared down his monstrous form, without any trace of fear whatsoever.

“…well, true. I suppose not every Ravenclaw is like…” his lips twisted as he thought of the name of the reckless, arrogant girl he wanted nothing to do with – the one who was always trying to get him in trouble, and who wasn’t obsessed with him in that way, no matter what people tried to imply. “Like…her.”

"I think...you cannot divine which I will end up in, can you?" Luna’s voice cut in, with the first-years growing silent.

‘…that’s right, we were originally talking about her future house. Not…our impressions of people.’

Shinji shook his head with a sad smile.

"I can't," he admitted. "As Amber said, I'm not the one who came up with this technique. Not that I think I'd be able to divine much of anything if even if I had."

"Oh?"

The boy sighed.

"I'm...not good when it comes to thinking of things that might be," he said, looking down at his glass of water. "I'm better at dealing with the things in front of me. Things I can hold. Things I can touch. Things I can change."

"Heh. A Hufflepuff through and through," Tonks noted. "I suppose that means you have no idea what you want to be when you graduate?"

Shinji looked at the Auror trainee strangely.

"...I'm a first year. It's a little early to be worrying about something like that, isn't it?"

"Maybe," the Hogwarts alumna answered. "Still, I knew I wanted to be an Auror since the day I first came to Hogwarts. Don't you have a dream of what you might want to be?"

The boy scoffed.

"Oh, I have many dreams," Shinji admitted readily. The issue was that some of them, like gaining enough in the way of power and renown that the world itself would be forced to acknowledge him, mastering the dark arts of his family, or finding a way to stay by Miyuki-senpai's side, no matter what it cost him, weren't what one might consider wise to speak about in present company. And so, to deflect, he smiled. "Only I mostly have them in history class."

"Heh," Tonks snorted, one corner of her lips twitching upwards. "I'll grant that Binns' teaching makes for a wonderful lullaby, but you should really pay attention if you can."

"Natsumi lends me her notes anyway, so I don't see the need to," the boy replied with a shrug. "I've tried staying awake while paying attention. It...it doesn't work," he said flatly.

Maybe if he had some tea to drink during class, but Binns didn’t exactly allow students to eat or drink during his lectures – not that Shinji thought he’d ever notice if people did.

"Heh. Well, make sure you give your long-suffering friend a nice present for Christmas then," the Auror trainee remarked. "And do nice things for her every once in a while. She's showing far more responsibility than I did, in my student years. And more kindness than you probably deserve."

“…I know.” The boy’s response was heavy. “Believe me.”

Her expression slipped, and for a moment, it seemed like she was somewhere far away.

"Good. True friends are hard to find," she added, her voice almost...distant. “Don't let them slip through your fingers.”

“Miss…Tonks?”

But the Auror trainee just shook her head, the odd expression on her face fading as she did.

"So, what about the rest of you?” she asked with perhaps false cheer. “Any dreams you want to tell old Tonks about?" She glanced over at Amber. "Or ambitions, if you prefer that word?"

“Well—”

"Ambitions, huh?" Phelan interrupted, a roguish smile on his face as he took a deep breath. "Well, since I was small, I dreamed of being a knight. And like every young knight, I longed for a few things. To become more than I was. To surpass my limits.” He took a deep breath, and almost sang the next few lines, his voice taking on a lyrical quality. “To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe, to bear with unbearable sorrow, to run where the brave dare not go." His voice warbled and he took a breath. "To right the unrightable wrong, to love, true and fierce for all time, to try when my arms are too weary, to reach...the unreachable star."

As he finished his recitation, Phelan belatedly noticed that he had actually stood up, with one hand over his chest, and the other reaching out towards the sky in a fairly dramatic pose.

Luna clapped.

Xenophilius nodded.

Shinji tilted his head, as if confused.

Amber, recognizing that her brother had just ripped off "The Impossible Dream" from The Man of La Mancha, yet had the audacity to substitute "true and fierce for all time" for "pure and chaste from afar", suppressed a silent groan. While it was true that she thought Phelan had the temperament of a modern Don Quixote, she did acknowledge that he rather liked girls more than most knights of stories. Not that the knights of Camelot had been at all chaste, really, but then didn't ideals exist so people could fall short of them? At least, that was how things seemed sometimes.

As for Tonks…

"...I suppose that too sounds like something a Gryffindor would say," Tonks demurred, after the ability of speech returned to her. She hadn't been expecting the boy to break into song, however nice his young voice might be... "And the rest of you?"

"I can’t say my aims are quite as…lofty as my brother’s," Amber replied. "I leave talk of slaying evils and righting impossible wrongs to him, since he’s better suited for it. For me…” She shook her head, glancing at Shinji. “I want to live as best I can, and enjoy what happiness I can with people who…” She paused. “…who understand me.” The girl chuckled. “I wouldn’t mind doing some great thing, but it’s not my dream, you know?”

"Well, it has to be someone’s," Phelan insisted, rubbing his head sheepishly. "I mean, Selina wants to write stories of this world – so I may as well make sure she has things to write about." Perhaps his face colored slightly at that declaration. If so, he wasn't about to admit to it.

"Heh..." Tonks noted, smirking at the revelation the earl's son had let slip. "So, what you’re saying is that you want to make her dreams come true, this Selina of yours?"
    Phelan froze.

"I…uh…S…s-she's n-not my Selina or something. She's her own person!" the young noble denied hotly. "And I just said I wanted to make sure she has things to write about. That’s all. We’re just – just helping each other out. Don't get the wrong idea, Miss Tonks."

The Auror trainee only laughed.

"Oh, I'm sure I’m not."

Shinji’s gift from Selina:
    A copy of Lords of Swinverrucas (0.1st Edition)

Lords of Swinverrucas
    is a strategy board game for 2-5 players, in which players take on the role of one of the masked Lords of the fortress city Swinverrucas, who rose to power after the fall of Archmagus Wulfric Bombyll Percival, and contend with each other for control of its treasures and resources.

Each Lord acts through agents, who are tasked with procuring resources and assets in the city. These assets, represented by orange, black, purple, and white cubes, are generally individuals trained in Martial, Intrigue, Arcane, and Technical skills, and are necessary to complete various quests about the fortress city. Such quests typically favored one of five approaches: Warfare, Skullduggery, Arcana, Engineering, and Commerce, with the last having a focus on the in-game currency. Completion of quests grants Influence, which, at the end of the game is one of the three primary currencies (along with gold and assets under one’s control) used to assess a faction’s overall power – thus determining the winner.

The titular Lords of Swinverrucas are based, of course, on those from the gathering of minds, with each Lord card granting player points at the end of the game for completing certain types of quests, controlling sections of the fortress city, or fulfilling other conditions. At the beginning of the game, each player draws one – and keeps it hidden from other players until the end.

These Lords include, but are not limited to…

Matou Shinji – Warlock – Born into a line of sorcerers, this one was blessed with great intelligence, but alas, no natural aptitude for the gifts of his bloodline. Cast aside as the heir of his family, in favor of his more gifted sister, he stewed in frustration, crying to whatever might hear him for power enough to overturn everything. And from the shadows, something answered, breathing power into him, reshaping his flesh and soul at the price of becoming a human gate, a yet to be awakened conduit for his patron's eventual emergence onto this plane of existence. (At the end of the game, score 4 Influence for every Warfare Quest and every Arcana Quest completed)

Amber Gainsborough – Bard – If one asked A. Gainsborough what she wanted, she would likely say nothing, knowing that it was inopportune to admit to a desire for not just fame, but power. Third-born of a powerful noble line, she was destined to be married off to some suitor to increase her family's influence, but refused to be merely a pawn in someone else's game of thrones. Fleeing her ancestral home with nothing more than the clothes on her back, a lute, and an enchanted rapier called the Luck Blade, she struggled, but eventually found her way to Swinverrucas, where her skill as an entertainer – and perhaps a bit of help from her rapier – have enabled her to seize hold of…a great many people’s weaknesses. (At the end of the game, score 4 Influence for every Skullduggery Quest and Commerce Quest completed)

Phelan Noel – Paladin – Second-born to a noble line, given to the Church as a youth to avoid a succession dispute within the House of Noel. Though not blessed with the aptitude to be a particularly good cleric, he proved more enthusiastic at the more martial callings of his god. His vitality and desire to become something more gained the favor of his god, and so he was made a paladin. While wandering the roads, doing good deeds in the name of his deity, and rising in rank in his Order, he (and his guide, a man named Fil'ich) stumbled upon the ancient Vault of Secrets and its guardian beast, a venom-eyed basilisk. They were defeated by the creature, with Fil'ich devoured and Phelan left for dead, though before he slipped from this mortal coil, he was rescued by a traveling bard and her companion. Together, they found their way to Swinverrucas, where he, in the wake of the Archmagus’ untimely death, he has risen to assume command of the Order’s forces in the fortress city. (At the end of the game, score 4 Influence for every Warfare Quest and every Engineering Quest Completed)

Natsumi Suzuki – Rogue / Sorcerer – Once a prosperous merchant's daughter, until her house fell into ruin due to the machinations of rival clans, with her father dying in a reckless attempt to discover a lost treasure to restore their fortunes. In the years that followed, she became a fairly successful pickpocket and thief, partially due to her drive to take revenge on the houses which ruined hers, and partially because she needed to support her ailing mother. Her luck ran out, however, on the day she attempted to pull one over on a woman from across the Eastern Sea. What exactly happened after that is unknown, but when it was over, the woman was gone - as was the entire town. The Houses on which she'd sought revenge. What was left of her family. Everything. Erased as if it never was. All that remained was her, and the gift of magic newly awakened within her. Wanting to find out more about the woman who changed her life forever – the Maiden of Winter – she found her way to Swinverrucas, where her old skills – and new – have brought her close to the centers of power. (At the end of the game, score 4 Influence for every Skullduggery Quest and Arcana Quest completed).

Hermione Granger – Ranger – As a child from a village close to Swinverrucas, Granger wanted nothing more in her youth than to become a wizard and learn the arcane arts. The day she received the letter informing her that she had been chosen as the Archmagus’ latest apprentice was the happiest of her life. Yet joy became tragedy, for as she entered the Archmagus’ office, she found him murdered, with a warlock standing over his flayed and blackened form, devouring his soul as per the demands of his foul patron. Granger was left alive, but lost the ability to cast spells due to her trauma. She and her later Master’s former disciples have banded together to claim the city their Master once ruled, yet in the wake of his passing, other factions have risen. To claim what she believes to be rightfully hers and avenge her fallen Master, she seeks to gain dominance over the other factions and crush them once and for all. (At the end of the game, score 4 Influence for every Warfare Quest and Skullduggery Quest completed)

Ernie Macmillan – Wizard – A wizard from a family of wizards, Macmillan was a native of the city of Swinverrucas, though not one who was especially fond of the ruling Archmagus. In the power vacuum left behind by the man’s death, his family – and their faction – saw an opportunity to take over the training of young wizards, democratizing the process – and earning, a fair bit of coin in the process. (At the end of the game, score 4 Influence for every Arcana Quest and Commerce Quest completed)

Draco Malfoy – Fallen Noble – The Malfoy family was once the most potent force in Swinverrucas, thanks to their political influence, their legal acumen, and their wise investments in real estate. Following the rise of the Archmagus and his allies, however, they were relegated to a second-tier power in the fortress city, but managed to survive where most others were destroyed, thanks to a pragmatic outlook and sheer bloody-minded determination. After the Archmagus’ demise, they were the primary suspect, but the death of Lucien Malfoy, the former head of the family at the hands of what was apparently a warlock, has alleviated his heir of suspicion, giving them a fighting chance at regaining their former glory. (At the end of the game, score 6 Influence for every Building owned)

Sialim Sokaris – Artificer – A mysterious Alchemist from a distant land who arrived at in Swinverrucas shortly before the Archmagus’ demise, rumored to possess the legendary Philosopher’s Stone, an artifact capable of granting its creator powerful abilities such as the ability to negate arcane – or divine – magic in an area, raise the dead, remove spiritual corruption, and eliminate any material or verbal requirement for spellcasting. Her motives are unknown, with several parties claiming to have hired her for various, perfectly legitimate reasons. In the wake of the fall of the Archmagus, she chose to stay, and as the single most powerful spell-caster in what was effectively a magocracy, commands a large amount of influence. (At the end of the game, score 4 Influence for every Engineering Quest and Arcana Quest completed)

Christmas...

Matou Shinji dreamed, and in the dream, he found himself back in Japan, walking along Jozenji-dori street in Sendai, hand in hand with a lovely companion, with him dressed in a winter-themed tuxedo and her in a pure white wedding dress, and the two of them surrounded by music and lights, by Santa Clauses and a vast forest of zelkova trees, on which 600,000 lights shine brilliantly against the black sky and snow-clad branches. As they strolled along, people shouted out congratulations, smiling at them, saluting them, bowing to them, as if they were royalty...

In the dream, he felt...at peace, as if at last, all was right with the world. Warm, from the inside out.

And as they came to the end of the street, with crowds parting to allow them to walk up to a brilliantly lit tree of crystal, the two stood together.

He turned to her, a question on his lips as he pulled her close. She leaned towards him, eyes closed, their lips about to touch as--

Matou Shinji awoke, finding himself alone on a cold Christmas morning, under an unfamiliar ceiling, a profound sense of loneliness filling his heart compared to the sense of completion he'd been torn away from. Everything...everything had been perfect. And then he'd woken up.

...at least it had been a nice dream this time, even if he couldn't quite remember who the person he'd been walking alongside had been, given how the warm amber lights had dyed everything in their own color. Perhaps the hair of his companion had been black, perhaps it had been a coppery color, perhaps it had been chestnut-brown, or blonde. All he knew was that it was lustrous, and that she had been beautiful - and happy to be with him.

'It wasn't purple, at least,' he thought cynically. Even if they weren't blood related, the prospect of walking like that alongside his sister made him want to vomit - something he barely managed to keep from doing, given that this room was not his own. 'Not that any of that means anything. It's just a dream, after all...'

And it wasn't like he had some talent in divination, unlike Selina.

'...I wonder what is planned for today?'

What was planned, apparently, is the family's annual visit to Canterbury Cathedral for the Christmas Service conducted by the Archbishop, the primate of the Anglican Church, a fairly common tradition for those in the high nobility. As a guest from the East, the family acknowledges that Shinji may not be observant of such traditions, though would welcome him there. If not, he is free to do something else, should he choose.

What will Shinji do?

[ ] Attend Christmas Service at Canterbury Cathedral
    [ ] Visit Tonks, who he discovered, lives around here
    [ ] Read from his curse book
    [ ] Visit Diagon Alley
    [ ] Explore the Exton Estate alone
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 2nd, 2018 at 01:21 PM.

[X] Visit Diagon Alley

[X] Attend Christmas Service at Canterbury Cathedral

I will file this under cultural exchange. Since the purpose of Shinji being with the twins is to get to know them, going with them and experiencing their traditions is part of the course. Visit with Tonks might work thought. I don't see any reason to be more anti-social with reading the book or visiting Diagon Alley again.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Amber's gifts for Shinji:

- A Ring Dial - acquired from the Shakespeare Trust gift shop. Also available in bangle form (which incidentally, is what Phelan bought for Tonks), and one of the most popular items

- A anklet imbued imbued with a reactive Calming Charm (basically, a magical mood stabilizer that can forcibly prevent someone from suffering the effects of emotional extremes)

- (jointly with Phelan) A training rapier and protective gear
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 3rd, 2018 at 03:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Attend Christmas Service at Canterbury Cathedral.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    A anklet imbued imbued with a reactive Calming Charm (basically, a magical mood stabilizer that can forcibly prevent someone from suffering the effects of emotional extremes)
    Poor little item is going to burn out in like a week working overtime trying to keep Shinji calm.

Its either that or Shinji is just going to be in a constant state of calm.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Attend Christmas Service at Canterbury Cathedral

It was somewhat amusing, Shinji thought, that the day after visiting the birthplace of William Shakespeare, he should find himself in the city where Christopher "Kit" Marlowe was born - possibly sitting in the pews that the great playwright might have once sat in as a child. At least it kept his attention from the Archbishop of Canterbury, The Most Reverend and Right Honourable Doctor George Carey, Primate of All England, who was rather less impressive in person than his titles and styles implied. Then again, he was new to the rank, having only been enthroned in April that year.

Yet, despite the grandeur of the surroundings, the message was far more down to earth, speaking not simply of celebrating the birth of Christ, but of remembering the calling of Christians in a world filled with pain. According to the scriptures, the coming of Christ was hailed by a choir of angels, and greeted with a heavenly chorus that sang the praises of God. But when He was born into this world, he was born into it in a stable, with his family fleeing to Egypt to escape persecution for political reasons soon after. As such, the first Christmas Message of the Archbishop spoke not of the need for worship and give thanks out of gratitude, but the need to remember that while they worshiped this morning, many others were mired in refugee camps, oppression, and cruel hardship.

That there was great pain in the world, and that as Christians, it was the privilege of each and every member of the Church to bring hope and healing, however they could. For as Christ came into the world on a mission of love from God, he called his disciples to share that mission - a mission that is sometimes forgotten amongst the complexities of life and religion -- ecumenical dialogues, interfaith challenges, theological dilemmas.

"Do not forget the fundamental message of our faith -- the generosity and goodness, forgiveness, and love that the Savior showed us. Remember this, for these things are powers the Enemy knows not, and can bring hope and healing to even the darkest, most clouded heart. In this broken world, we all walk among fields littered with shards of broken glass. Let us not simply rejoice that we have shoes, but lift up those not as fortunate, cleaning their wounds, wrapping their feet, giving them something to walk upon, that they too, might lift up others."

Shinji, having never been in a church before (having had no desire to go to the chapel on the hill in Fuyuki), found this address mildly intriguing in how it was not a message of praise, but of duty and obligation. That Christmas was a time to remember what they had been charged with - that they should carry this remembrance with them into their daily lives.

'...it's not what I expected.'

Of course, as someone who grew up in a magus family, he hadn't known what to expect, given that the Church was regarded as an enemy of sorts - or at least a hindrance. This...didn't seem so bad, really, especially not when service was followed by the family as a whole going to lunch at the Blazing Donkey, a barn that had been converted into an upscale restaurant, tucked away in the Kent countryside, and then a return to Exton Hall, where presents were given out.

Shinji was rather stunned to find a small pile of presents just for him, since Japanese families didn't really give presents to each other for Christmas, and well, his family wasn't one for affection, really.

From Selina, a copy of a game she had designed - the Lords of Swinverrucas, which Amber suggested they play later.

From Amber, an anklet imbued with a calming charm.

From Phelan, a copies of Journeys with Jinns, the critically acclaimed account of Lockhart's first adventure.

From Natsumi, a small vial with gleaming gold liquid, with a note explaining that what the vial contained enough Felix Felicis for about two hours.

From Sokaris, a pass to the restricted section of the Hogwarts Library, signed by Quirrell, and the original version of the Journal of the Hero of Light (returned).

From Tonks, a week's supply of Dreamless Sleep potion.

From the store in Vertic Alley, the holsters he'd ordered.

From Gringotts, a goblin-forged throwing knife that would slot nicely into one of those holsters.

From the Noel family, An Artist of the Floating World, a novel by the novelist Kazuo Ishiguro.

What does he do after opening presents and before the evening meal?

[ ] Play Lords of Swinverrucas with Phelan and Amber
    [ ] Read one of his new books
    [ ] Try out the new throwing knife + holsters
    [ ] Explore the Exton Estate
    [ ] (write-in)

Also, does he put on the anklet?

[ ] Put it on
    [ ] Save it for later
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 4th, 2018 at 06:07 PM.

[X] Try out the new throwing knife + holsters
    [X] Put it on
    Last edited by shanagan; June 8th, 2018 at 08:56 PM.

[X] Put it on

I might be bias here on the knife choice. I want to work on it for sure but even I admit that might not be the best time for this since its a bit anti-social, thought I am sure Phelen would enjoy it. It's better than nose once again stuck in a book, but maybe a more social activity like the game or explore would be better. I lean more towards exploring since we still have not done it and I am sure Amber/Phelen would like to show off their place. But I will throw a vote towards knives for now in the hopes that Shinji actually practices rather than just wearing the things.

No reason not to put on the bracelet.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Fine. Putting aside the last couple of questions then, Phelan and Amber are chatting with their older brother about the adventures they had at Hogwarts, discussing the politics of the houses, Quirrell's challenges, some of their odder friends. Both of them look to Shinji to contribute a bit..

What should Shinji highlight?

[ ] The intellectual challenge - Quirrell's questions & the challenge of classes
    [ ] The danger and adventure - the Chamber of Secrets Incident, Quirrell's challenges, etc
    [ ] The politics of it all - the House rivalries and how complicated things are
    [ ] The people - People like Lady Tsuji, Sokaris, Lady Selina and such who make life interesting
    [ ] How...mundane and boring magical school is - especially historzzzzzzzz.....

Blog Entries
    [x] Play Lords of Swinverrucas with Phelan and Amber.
    [x] Put it on

Fair enough then.

Unless it is of limited use, I don't see why he wouldn't wear the anklet as soon as possible

[x] The politics of it all - the House rivalries and how complicated things are.

Because I think that's something that would be most familiar to our interlocutor. I also think that the houses not being an obstacle within Shinji's circle plays to his advantage for now. If he learns how to play the game early, he could expand the amount of connections (and thus influence) in each of them.
    Last edited by Daiki; June 8th, 2018 at 02:56 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well Lords of Swinverrucas isn't as much a RP setting, as much as it is a board game in that setting (ala how Lords of Waterdeep is set within the Forgotten Realms universe).

[X] Put it on
    [X] The people - People like Lady Tsuji, Sokaris, Lady Selina and such who make life interesting

[X] The danger and adventure - the Chamber of Secrets Incident, Quirrell's challenges, etc