Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34567101555 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[X] Ask Slughorn if he has some books he recommends

Miyuki would be my runner up choice but I am not sure if she is A. Good with potions and B. an old enough student to ask this question. What year is she? I am sure she will still give good advice but I think she is more likely to semi-mock Shinji again for taking a stranger's words at face value (this time scribbles in a book non the less) rather than being skeptical.

I want to not piss off Slughorn this go around and benfit from him this time. At least until Zouken tells us to befriend Assissin Lockhart. Slughorn points are always good here. He is a teacher, its his job to guide people to shape their learning. Asking him for help on a jump off point to see about how alternative recipes work is not cheating. In fact, he likely to respond really well if he finds out that they are going further than the normal but wondering about if this potion receipt is really the best way to go about it.

The man is looking for who in the classes has the talent for him to favor. The person that thinks to go beyond what the potion book tells you is the kind of person that will go father as they have what it takes to be a potion brewer/researcher.

Change my vote to:

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Miyuki would be my runner up choice but I am not sure if she is A. Good with potions and B. an old enough student to ask this question. What year is she?
    She is a second year student, like her rival, Cho Chang, and received an O in potions. She's capable, and though not a prodigy, she does put in the effort to grasp the concepts and synthesize knowledge across disciplines.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 16th, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Slughorn is surprised to see Shinji and Natsumi coming by his office after class to ask him about the project, as it is the first day of class, and he normally doesn't get students coming by outside of class until the week before exams, when panicked students flock to his office asking what material will be on the test, what they should expect from the practical, or what constitutes an O - or the week after anexam or assignment is returned, as some invariably have issues with his grading.

His surprise only deepens when he learns that the two want to know if he has any books he recommends for the purpose of researching ingredients and combinations. In his experience, most Hufflepuffs, while diligent about following directions, don't tend to go out of their way to seek knowledge.

"Arsenius Jigger's textbook is a good place to start, but if you are serious about learning more about the ingredients used for this potions, you may consider examining The Healer's Helpmate or Healing at Home with Herbs by Phyllida Spore. Have Yourself a Fiesta In a Bottle, despite the name, may also be useful, as it covers some of the basic theory behind different ingredients can be combined for varying effects."

"...have yourself a fiesta in a bottle?" Shinji repeats skeptically.

"That is the title, yes. By the same author who wrote the NEWT-level Textbook, at that."

"I see."

"If you find an alternative Cure for Boils recipe in one of these other books, feel free to use it for the assignment, as long as you can explain to me what the ingredients in that recipe do. And if you want a bit of extra credit, in addition to the assignment you've been given, I will accept a short essay on the merits of the other recipe as compared to the one in Magical Drafts and Potions, and how it is that different ingredients can lead to the same effect."

"T-thank you for your time, Professor," Natsumi says, bowing.

"Of course, Miss Suzuki," the plump man replies indulgently. "Oh, and there's no need to bow at Hogwarts. Whether student or teacher, Muggleborn or Pureblood, we're all witches and wizards, are we not?"

"Y-yes!"

After that, the two head to the library, and after some questioning by Madam Pince about what they were looking for, found themselves directed to the appropriate area. There, one of their fellow Hufflepuffs - Ernst MacMillan - was sitting at a table piled high with books related to potions, with the dusky-skinned foreigner - his partner, leafing through one calmly.

Natsumi seems a little worried by this, and looks to Shinji for direction.

Does he...

[ ] Approach the duo and ask if they mind sharing
    [ ] Approach the duo and ask how they're approaching the project
    [ ] Grab the books on healing and herbology and find another table
    [ ] Check out what books he can and go back to the Common Room
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Approach the duo and ask if they mind sharing

[x] Approach the duo and ask if they mind sharing

No escape, huh.

Blog Entries
    [x] Approach the duo and ask if they mind sharing.

I suppose the two other books are sitting in that pile. Not much choice if you want to cross references then.

Natsumi doesn't seem eager but, it's an opportunity for introduction with another boy, one she would have to eventually interact with. Shinji's presence should help and the two might even end up good friends with Ernie. Plus, first contact with Sokaris, who may give us valuable insight.
    Last edited by Daiki; December 17th, 2017 at 11:59 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    I suppose the two other books are sitting in that pile. Not much choice if you want to cross references then.
    They may or may not be, though it seems to look mostly like Potions books, with a sprinkling of Alchemy texts. You are certainly free to check for other books, especially those on healing and herbology.

Blog Entries
    If possible I would like to gather the herbology and healing books, alongside Borage's tome. The first and third in particular. Those appear like the best combo if you really want to work with new recipes and/or check how viable Snape's tweaks are.

Is a write-in including gathering the two books and sitting with Ernie & Sion, possible? Or are those exclusives?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    A write in with those is possible

Blog Entries
    Alright, I think it's worth a shot.

[x] Gather The Healer's Helpmate and Healing at Home with Herbs before approaching the duo and asking if they mind sharing.
    Last edited by Daiki; December 17th, 2017 at 12:30 PM.

[x] Gather The Healer's Helpmate and Healing at Home with Herbs before approaching the duo and asking if they mind sharing.

Bringing Books to add to someone's research pile is a good ice breaker if one wants to slide in and use their gathered resources as well. I doubt that Sokaris will care either way as long as the people coming over do not annoy her. Ernst on the other hand is way to competitive to allow someone to sit there without contributing something. The fact that its two fellow Hufflepuffs should help.

Natsumi seems to very socially awkward and has a small fear of the unknown. She seems incapable of taking the lead on anything.

So Libatius wrote the book Festive in a bottle before the end of his third year? My god Shinji could never equal that if he tried even if he went all in on potions.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Natsumi seems to very socially awkward and has a small fear of the unknown. She seems incapable of taking the lead on anything.
    She's kind of timid, but will grow less so in time as she adapts to the Hogwarts environment. Remember that she's only been to all-girls schools so far, and the whole magic thing takes getting used to.

Assuming first encounters don't burn her.

So Libatius wrote the book Festive in a bottle before the end of his third year? My god Shinji could never equal that if he tried even if he went all in on potions.
    No, Libatius Mueller wrote Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle II, the followup to the original Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle, written by his ancestor Libatius Borage.

I change my vote:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Chapter 2. Of Books and Brews

Matou Shinji wasn’t sure quite what to feel as he, and his fellow first year Hufflepuffs, exited Professor McGonagall’s classroom following a “Double” session of Transfiguration. He’d been looking forward to the class ever since Miyuki-senpai had demonstrated its versatility and practicality by turning marbles into teacups, among other things, and he’d been quite impressed with the Professor’s Animagus transformation – as well as how she’d turned a desk into a pig.

‘I hadn’t realized that it was possible to transform yourself into an animal and back again. Maybe there
    is something to the stories of wizards of old becoming birds, after all…’

Personally, he was a bit more interested in how to turn things – or people – into various animals, as he’d always thought that Circe’s ability to turn men who offended her into pigs to be quite convenient.

Sadly, neither the Animagus transformation, nor transfiguring inanimate objects into living things was part of the first-year curriculum.

Human transfiguration was only taught to Sixth and Seventh years, transfiguring objects into animals was something that they would begin to learn in third year, and becoming an Animagus…was not part of the Hogwarts curriculum.

‘Then again, if it is difficult enough that there were only seven in all of Britain during the past century, I guess that makes sense. And if I can find a way to become one…’

If he could, well, would he not become renowned as a master of Transfiguration?

‘…though I hope that if I do manage it, I don’t become something embarrassingly weak.’

Like a worm, a guinea pig, or well, even a pig.

He grimaced as the image of Tohsaka laughing hysterically at him surfaced unbidden in his mind. No doubt if he unlocked some humiliating Animagus form – like that of a pig – that would be what waited for him.

Ridicule.

‘…it will be a long time before I am even near the level where becoming an Animagus is practical, so I should just put this out of mind,’
    he told himself, forcing the unwanted memories back into the dark recesses of his mind, back to the shadows where they belonged, as he shook himself visibly.

“Matou-kun?” Natsumi asked from beside him, her dark eyes looking at him with concern. “Are you feeling sick? Do you need to go to the nurses’ office?”

“No,” Shinji replied, shaking his head. “No,” he repeated. “I’m fine. I just…I was just thinking about something weird.”

“What about?”

“…how embarrassing it would be if I became a pig Animagus,” the boy admitted after about half a minute of silence.

Natsumi’s hand flew to her mouth and almost – almost – managed to stifle a chuckle.

“See? You’d laugh at me if that happened too,” the Hufflepuff boy said bitterly. “Matou Shinji, the pig.”

“…I wouldn’t laugh,” Natsumi responded, pouting at him.

“Really?”

“I wouldn’t!” she insisted. “Becoming an Animagus is a very hard thing to do! Even Miyuki-senpai says so!”

“Heh.”

“I was just thinking that you would make a very regal-looking pig, Matou-kun,” Natsumi continued, her cheeks pinking slightly. “Like Marten, the pig we have at home.”

“…you have a pig?” Shinji echoed. “You’re…you don’t look like a farm girl.”

“Eheh…he’s a pet,” the girl said, her hands dropping to reveal a shy smile. “My parents bought him before I was born.”

“I see…but I notice you still eat pork?” the boy asked wryly, glancing at his companion. “Doesn’t Marten worry?”

“T-this and that are two different things!” Natsumi insisted, with Shinji being the one to chuckle this time. “But ah…” She looked over at Shinji. “Did you get enough to eat? You didn’t seem very hungry last night…”

“…I’m just not used to how heavy British food is, compared to Japanese food,” he admitted with a complicated expression. “That and the noise of everyone eating at once…”

He shivered, recalling the utter din of the Welcome Feast.

“…I’m sorry, Matou-kun.”

“…don’t apologize. It’s not your fault, Natsumi,” he sighed. “Its just me not being used to this sort of food.” He shook his head slightly. “I think I might just go to the kitchens and see if I can get something made.”

“Um…do you want me to come with you?” the girl offered shyly. “You…you shouldn’t have to eat by yourself. Just because you don’t like British food.”

“No. I…I know you wanted to have lunch with Miyuki-senpai, so go to her,” Shinji responded, smiling slightly. “I’ll be fine. Really.”

Natsumi puffed out her cheeks, something Shinji found too cute for words.

“Mou…I can just get senpai to come with us,” the girl said, her tone for once, resolute.

“…well, I’m not going to say no, if you insist this much. But…is it really alright?”

“It is.”

At that, Shinji could only smile a crooked smile.

“If you say so.”

“What do you mean, I should come by during your consultation hours?” the boy from the East repeated, as he regarded the girl known as Tsuji Miyuki warily. The three of them – he, Miyuki, and Natsumi – were in the Common Room of Hufflepuff, with a sumptuous meal of Japanese food in front of them. “That is…you have consultation hours?”

The older Hufflepuff merely nodded.

“Twice a week, on Mondays and Fridays, after classes have finished for the day, I can be found in the Hufflepuff Common Room,” the raven-haired girl supplied. She glanced around and smiled slightly. “At this very table, actually. And yes, tea and light refreshments are provided to any who decide to join me.”

“Tea, huh?” Shinji quipped, remembering the freshness and quality of the brew she had offered him on the train. “That’s very tempting, though…” The boy trailed off as he thought of something. “You’re a second year, right?”

“I am.”

Shinji frowned at this.

“Right, so how…no, why, does a second year have specific hours for something like this?”

Things like office hours were more the province of professors, or professionals, not students, so for her to actually have some sort of formal arrangement with the House seemed…odd.

“Originally, I simply wanted some hours to read or reflect in peace, hours in which I was not bothered with homework or gossip,” the older Hufflepuff related, her expression seeming quite distant in that moment. “But as I was the best student of my year, peace was not easy to come by.”

“…I see,” the Matou boy said after some thought. “People came by wanting help, because they had trouble understanding classwork?”

“All the time, yes,” Miyuki confirmed, her face growing clouded. “I spoke with Professor Sprout about it, and while she said it was good to help others, she reminded me that I also needed time for myself, so she suggested the current system.” The older Hufflepuff smiled, ever so faintly. “It has its advantages, such as a pass to get anything I need from the library, and allowing me to meet all kinds of interesting people.”

“Oh?”

“It wasn’t just people who needed help with homework who came by. There were older students too, who wanted someone to listen to their troubles, but didn’t want to talk to their friends or a teacher,” the girl explained. “Trouble finding a job after graduation, troubles with romance, troubles with bullying or such things. They taught me some spells for being willing to listen.”

“Spells?” Shinji echoed, intrigued by what he was hearing. “Like what?”

Draconifors, for one,” the older Hufflepuff replied. “As well as some useful charms for household and other work.”

“I see,” the boy from the East noted, nodding. He could see how those could be useful… “So how does it work, anyway? Your consultation hours, I mean?”

“During the hours provided, I am available for consultation by any Hufflepuff,” came the reply. “In exchange for a small fee, whether it is a bit of knowledge, a bit of coin, or something else. This way I am able to help others while not being taken advantage of.”

“…I get it. Because its not free, people have to think about what your time is worth,” Shinji remarked.

“Yes.”

“Mm…Professor Sprout seems very reliable,” Natsumi commented, to which Miyuki gave a sharp nod.

“She is. To me, she is the most reliable Professor at Hogwarts,” the older Hufflepuff replied. “Even if I’m not especially talented with Herbology, I am…fortunate to have chosen Hufflepuff.”

“Ano…Miyuki-senpai, does that mean we can’t ask you for help outside of…consultation?” Natsumi asked, looking down. “Or that we need to…” She trailed off, seeming rather flustered. “That we need to pay you something?”

“General consultation is one thing, but friends are another,” the other girl said, lifting the other girl’s chin to look at her. “And I’ve always thought of you as a good friend, Nastumi.”

“I-I think of Miyuki-senpai as a good friend too!” the younger girl all but chirped, something that made the older Hufflepuff smile ever so faintly.

“I’m glad to hear it,” Miyuki noted, before glancing over at lone male at the room. “Well, since you keep Natsumi company, I suppose you’re welcome to come to me outside of consultation hours too, Matou. Now…” She turned an eye to the food spread out before them – bowls of ramen, thin slices of roast pork, and something like chicken katsu. “Let us eat before the food gets cold.”

Shinji needed no further prompting to dig in, relishing the tastes and aromas of his homeland, which coupled with the spoken Japanese around him, was a welcome reprieve from the feeling of being thrown into somewhere far from home.

‘When I finish with Hogwarts, I’m sure I’ll be competent as a practitioner of Witchcraft. But will I really still be me?’

After lunch, they headed to their respective classrooms, with Miyuki proceeding to Professor Binns’ History of Magic, and Shinji and Natsumi off to Potions with Professor Slughorn. This, along with Transfiguration, was a class he was deeply interested in, as he had read about the effects that such elixirs could have, and knew, from past experience, that creating such concoctions was a major part of witchcraft.

‘Not that they will teach us how to bottle fame, brew glory, or stopper death…’
    Shinji mused, a wry smile crossing his features. ‘Potions like those probably aren’t something we’d learn until…sixth year.’

That seemed to be a trend, that the most powerful and interesting things in each field weren’t taught until sixth year.

‘Why is that, I wonder?’

He’d have to ask Miyuki-senpai about it when he had the chance, as he imagined she’d have some idea.

“Something on your mind, Matou-kun?” Natsumi asked as they walked into the dungeon where Potions was to be held.

“Mm, just wondering what Professor Slughorn has in mind for class today,” Shinji replied, shaking his head. “I don’t think we’ll be brewing anything, since it’s the first day, but…”

The answer turned out to be an in-class discussion, covering the first chapter of Magical Drafts and Potions, the assigned text for First through Fifth year potions.

It was little surprise that the discussion was dominated by Ravenclaws – or to be more specific, one Ravenclaw: the bushy-haired brunette who had taken an abnormally long time for the hat to sort.

Her name was something like Granger, apparently, and with every question, she raised her hand, as if to rub how much she knew – and how little everyone else knew – in everyone’s faces.

‘Who does she think she is?’
    Shinji wondered, feeling especially offended because the brown-haired Ravenclaw had all but interrupted Natsumi when his friend had finally felt comfortable enough to raise her hand.

At least the other Ravenclaws didn’t seem so…inclined to show off in such a way, though he noted that the purple-haired foreigner with Egyptian features seemed to know more than she let on, as when called on, she answered a question on the relationship between Potions and Alchemy by mentioning that Alchemical principles and equations could be used to develop new potions and recipes, as long as one knew both what one desired, and the properties of the reagents in question.

“…I’m surprised you knew that, Miss Sokaris,” Professor Slughorn said appraisingly, his eyes glancing over at the dusky-skinned first year. “That’s certainly not from Chapter 1 of our textbook.” He looked like he wanted to say more, but held himself back, as if curious as to what she would say.

“I read beyond the first chapter,” was the response, with the Potions Master seeming to accept her answer for the moment, before introducing the potion that the class would be working on over the course of the week.

The Cure for Boils.

For this assignment, Slughorn explained, there would be more involved than simply brewing the potion. And, since this was the very first project they’d be working on, he was willing to offer an incentive for those that brewed the best sample of the potion in question.

“Does anyone know what this is?” the Potions Master asked, as he retrieved a flask full of a pearlescent liquid from his coat pocket.

No one raised their hand.

“This is a week’s supply of Mopsus Potion, a concoction that grants you Seer-like abilities and the ability to manipulate objects with your mind,” he explained, with the class falling silent at his words. “Granted, it has the side effect of rendering you unable to cast spells or use your magic in other ways while it is active, but as you are first years, I don’t think that’s a large concern, is it?”

“…no,” Natsumi breathed, with Shinji glancing over to see that she – like many of the other Muggleborn practitioners of witchcraft – were staring raptly at the flask in Slughorn’s hand.

Others around the room expressed much the same sentiment, with the Potions Master seeming pleased with this.

“Well then, get into groups,” he told them. “I’ll be around to note down who you are working with and to answer any questions.”

Chaos erupted after that, with chairs being pushed back, people going to and fro, and Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws scurrying across the room to try and partner with people who seemed like they knew what they were doing.

The most popular choice seemed to be Granger, the bushy-haired brunette who had answered so many questions, with many of the rest swarming towards Sokaris, the foreigner with some knowledge of Alchemy.

‘I could try to work with one of them, but it wouldn’t be dignified for me to rush over.’

Or at least, that was what Shinji told himself, given that even if he did, he would probably be passed over as a partner by the two Ravenclaws. Best to build up his own reputation first, he thought.

He glanced over to where Natsumi was sitting, and their eyes met, before she looked down shyly.

‘Well, I wouldn’t mind working with her. Might get me some points with Miyuki-senpai, too.’

Making up his mind, the boy avoided the throng of students crowding around Sokaris and Granger, as he grabbed his things, made his way over to Natsumi’s side, and sat down.

“Want to work together?” he asked, with the girl looking relieved as she nodded. “Great. Let’s open up the book and look at the recipe for the Cure for Boils while the others are still picking partners.”

But Natsumi didn’t reach for her bag.

“Um…it’s a bit embarrassing, but I forgot my potions book,” she whispered, her cheeks reddening with shame. “Au…I…I thought it would be Defense and History after lunch, and I grabbed the wrong ones…”

Had it been a Thursday, she would have been correct, but as it was Monday, not so much.

“Well…I don't mind sharing..." Shinji offered, grabbing his copy of Magical Drafts and Potions and setting it on the desk. Before he could push the book over to her though, Slughorn came by, seeing that they had formed a group.

“Mister Matou, and...ah, Miss...Suzuki, was it?" the Potions Master asked genially. "You two will be working together for this week's project?"

"Y-yes!" Natsumi responded, a little nervous at the attention.

"Excellent," the man noted, jotting down something in the notebook he carried. He glanced down at the book in front of Matou – and the lack of one in front of Natsumi, his lips twitching slightly. "For future reference, I expect my students to come to class prepared, with each person having a textbook of their own. I find that it helps with in-class discussions, in the not-unlikely event that some of my students hadn’t done the assigned readings, or if I need to clear up a point.”

"Ah...sorry, Professor," the brown-haired girl said meekly, lowering her head.

"No worries, Miss Suzuki,” Slughorn continued. “I am not inclined to be so harsh on the first day, especially not...you are a Muggleborn, yes?"
    Natsumi nodded.

"Especially not to a Muggleborn, as you no doubt didn't know any better," he concluded. "For today, you may use one of the books from the cupboard, so long as you make sure to put it back before you leave."

The chestnut-haired girl nodded once more.

"Thank you, Professor."

"No need. Work hard, you two," Slughorn exhorted with a chuckle. “Oh, and congratulations on forming a group so quickly, as opposed to that lot. Once you both have books, please look over the recipe provided, and note down any questions you might have about the ingredients, process, or such.”

"Y-yes!"

With that, the Potions Master departed, heading for the large cluster of students on the other side of the room, while Natsumi went to retrieve one of the used books. She seemed excited as she came back to her seat, book in hand – only for her face to fall as she began to examine its contents.

"Auu...someone scribbled all over the pages..."

Glancing over at the book she’d retrieved, Shinji could see that this was indeed the case, with scrawlings and scribbles covering almost every bit of blank space on the pages. What’s more, the recipes and explanations of the used book had been thoroughly marked up, with ingredients crossed out, several others inserted, and a running commentary on how the inventor of the recipe must have been an addled dunderhead.

Every chapter had been treated such. Every page. Every entry in the ingredient glossary.

Even the Cure for Boils, the very first recipe in the tome, was no exception, with the scribbler noting that using Pungous Onions and Ginger root instead of snake fangs and porcupine quills would not only make for a potion that was more effective, but which could be brewed in a single session.

"Strange...who would do this to a book?" Shinji wondered aloud, thinking that whoever was responsible had either really liked – and had been really good at – potions, really hated it and wanted to steer other people wrong, or had simply been bored out of their mind.

Flipping to the first page, he could see that the previous owner had been working through a list of what were presumably nicknames, finally settling on something like a prince of halfbloods.

‘Whatever a half-blood is.’

"...I guess we'll have to share, after all," Natsumi said glumly, as she looked dejectedly at the defaced book. "Sorry, Matou-kun. I should have paid more attention when I was picking out a book."

“No, that’s…” the boy trailed off, shaking his head. “Actually, it probably wouldn’t hurt to try out the revisions. We have until Friday to finish our potions, after all.”

“But..”

“If everyone is using the one in the book, I’m not sure we’ll have a chance at getting the prize,” Shinji admitted. “And since you seemed so excited about it…”

He didn’t quite catch his partner’s half-mumbled reply, but he thought it was something about Star Wars and wanting to be a Jedi.

“Well, we can go to the library after our next class and look up the ingredients, to see if the revisions make any sense, before we actually try something.”

As they were talking, it seemed that everyone had finally managed to get paired off, with Slughorn returning to the front of the classroom and offering a few more tidbits about the requirements for the groupwork assignment.

Apparently, in addition to brewing a sample of Cure for Boils, each group would also be required to write a short essay on the potion, explaining what the ingredients used to brew it did, and how they worked in combination with each other.

With that, class was over, and so Shinji offered to return the book to the cupboard for Natsumi – though instead of returning the annotated one, he returned his own, so he’d have the opportunity to study it in more detail.

Once the final class of the day let out, most students tended to return to their common room for a bit of rest or socialization before supper, but Shinji and Natsumi had a different destination: Professor Slughorn’s classroom. After all, they’d never been to Hogwarts’ library before, and thought that perhaps if they visited the Potions Master, he might be able to give them some guidance as to what resources might be useful as reference materials if they wanted to go beyond what was covered in the textbook.

When they appeared at the classroom, they found the man about to leave for his office, his face seeming quite surprised at the sight of them.
    But this was natural, as it was only the first day of class, and generally, students didn’t tend to visit professors outside of classroom hours until the week before an exam, during which panicked hordes would flock to their offices asking what material would be covered, what would be expected from them for a practical, or what would constitute an O, as compared to an E. The week after an exam or assignment was returned was just about as bad, given that some invariably took issue with how a professor chose to mark an exam, or choose an answer.

“Miss Suzuki, Mister Matou,” he greeted pleasantly enough, taking a step back to wave them in. “Can I help you with something?”

To Shinji, the Professor seemed rather surprised when he asked if there were any books that would be especially good for researching ingredients and combinations.

“The textbook is a good start, but it’s only one book,” the Matou boy explained. “I want to make sure I’m doing my best for the assignment.”

“Heh…diligent of you,” Slughorn noted, raising an eyebrow. In his experience, most Hufflepuffs, while diligent about following directions, didn’t tend to go out of their way to seek knowledge. But if these two were going to go above and beyond requirements, well, he wasn’t about to complain. “As you say, the textbook is a good start, though for this assignment, you might consider examining The Healer's Helpmate by H. Pollingtonious or Healing at Home with Herbs by Phyllida Spore, both of which are available in the library. Have Yourself a Fiesta In a Bottle, despite the name, may also be useful, as it covers some of the basic theory behind combining ingredients for varying effects."

"...have yourself a fiesta in a bottle?" Shinji repeated skeptically, sharing a glance with Natsumi.

"That is the title, yes,” the Potions Master confirmed. “It was written by Libatius Borage, the same author who wrote the NEWT-level Textbook."

“Ah.”

The man smiled, before turning a considering look on the duo.

“Under the circumstances, if you do end up finding an alternative Cure for Boils recipe in one of these other books, feel free to use it for the assignment,” he said, after a moment or two. “Both the written and the brewing. And if you can explain the merits of the other recipe as compared to the one in Magical Drafts and Potions, and how it is that different ingredients can lead to the same effect, I may be willing to award some extra credit."

“Oh?”

“You two show great initiative,” the man explained. “I think it is important to encourage that.”

"T-thank you, Professor!" Natsumi exclaimed, bowing deeply to the man.

"Of course, Miss Suzuki," the plump man replies indulgently. "Oh, and there's no need to bow at Hogwarts. After all, whether student or teacher, Muggleborn or Pureblood, we're all witches and wizards, are we not?"

"Y-yes!"

With that, Matou Shinji and Suzuki Natsumi left the room, with Slughorn making a mental note to pay special attention to the assignment that the enterprising duo turned in later in the week, and to keep abreast of any other waves they were stirring up.

For it was never too early to consider additions to the Slug Club.

True to their word, the two headed to the library, and after some questioning by Madam Pince about what business first-years had in the library, and what they were looking for (as well as a truly intimidating litany of dire consequences should they deface, destroy, or damage any of the books, up to and including being banned from the library and immediate expulsion from Hogwarts), the two were directed to the section covering Potions books.

Surprisingly, they weren’t the first ones there, as one of their fellow Hufflepuffs – Ernest MacMillan – was already present, sitting at a table piled high with books of all shapes and sizes, with the Ravenclaw named Sokaris, paying him little mind as she leafed through a particularly large and weathered tome, taking notes on its contents.

Natsumi, seeing that others were already here – and that they had already grabbed so many books – froze.

“…should we just go back?” she asked timidly, her shoulders trembling at the thought of approaching them and asking if she could share.

“Why don’t we grab the books Professor Slughorn suggested first,” Shinji suggested. “That way, we have something to offer, instead of just asking for a favor.”

“Yes, that’s…yes!”

In the end, that was what they did, retrieving the books and offering to share them, if the other two were working on Slughorn’s assignment as well.

“Yes, please!” Ernest said in response, while glancing around to make sure Madam Pince was nowhere nearby. “I’m…I’m not getting anywhere with this Golpalott book. Are you, So—”

But Ernest’s words died in his throat as he saw the purple-haired girl doing something like writing out an equation that included the ingredients of the Cure for Boils, a less than amused expression on her face.

“A very inefficient formulation,” Sokaris commented blandly, her purple eyes narrowing at the textbook. “Like the others in this text.”

“…Sokaris?” Ernest questioned. “What do – what do you mean? And what – just what were you writing?”

“You would not understand,” was the blunt reply.

“Is this…some kind of math?” Natsumi inquired, her eyes drawn to the paper that Sokaris had been writing on. “For…” Beyond that, she was a little lost, as she had no idea what half of the things meant.

“Stability and potency calculations for the provided recipe,” the dusky-skinned foreigner stated. “Jigger’s recipes are not optimized for either potency or economy of effort. They are also unforgiving of human error.”

“…what are they good at, then?” Shinji found himself asking, his mouth curving in a frown.

“The ritual-like nature of these recipes mean that individuals with little idea of how to manipulate magical energy may achieve consistent results without a clear focus on what they are making,” Sokaris explained. “Other combinations require more effort or insight, but may yield superior results.”

“…can you show me how you did that, Miss Sokaris?” Natsumi asked, seeming fascinated with how the Ravenclaw at the table had used numbers to reach these conclusions.

“I suppose I would not find it…an unpleasant task,” the other allowed. “Macmillan.”

“Yes, Sokaris?”

“Are you curious as well?”

“I…” Ernest scratched his head and chuckled nervously, as he held up the book he was reading. “Actually, I didn’t catch half of that. I know you told me that Golpalott’s work was the basis for this stuff, but…I can’t get past the introduction.”

Looking between the people at the table, Shinji gathered his resolve.

“Are you looking to change the recipe?” he asked.

“…yes, actually,” Ernest admitted, looking at Shinji warily. “That’s why we were here looking at references. Or at least why Sokaris told me to come here. Why?”

“We – Natsumi and I – had some ideas along that line as well,” the boy from the east stated. “Maybe we could work together?”

The one who answered, however, was not Ernest, but Sokaris, who looked at him appraisingly, before nodding.

“I have little reason to refuse.”

Choices:

It is the second day of class, and the first class of the day is Defense against the Dark Arts, affectionately (and irreverently) called DADA by most students at Hogwarts. As the Hufflepuffs filed in, they noted two things: first, that the room smelled strongly of garlic, and that Professor Quirrell wore an odd turban, which he claimed had been gifted to him by an African prince as a reward for stopping a zombie infestation.

"I am sure you all have thoughts on what it means to defend yourself from the Dark Arts," the man intoned, as looked at each and every one of them. "For some of you, it may be learning powerful spells of protection. For some of you, it may be finding ways to avoid them practitioners of the Dark Arts and their minions. For some of you, it may be through learning the Arts yourself. Make no mistake - I do not care what approach you wish to take. Whether you see yourself as a future Auror, or a Dark Lord, as a paragon of good, or a renegade, it does not matter - not for the purposes of this class. For in the end, there is no good or evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

He proceeded to cover some of the expectations for the course, the reading that would be assigned each week, and the short essays that he expected his students to do...

"But those are not what I care about most. I will teach you, but I tell you the truth when I say that training is nothing. What you learn of how to counter the Dark Arts in the safe environs of the classroom cannot protect you, unless you have not only training, but resolve. The will to act. The impulse to go beyond what is merely required, and the dedication needed to pursue it to its bitter end."

For a moment, the man was silent as he looked over at his new pupils, some of who seemed rather uncomfortable with what he was saying.

"This term, you will be tested as you have never been tested before. I will push you to the limits of what you find comfortable, and as far as beyond as your minds can bear, so that when the Dark comes, you will be ready. Ready to fight it - or to join it - whatever your choice may be. You may think that there is only one choice, but it is a choice nevertheless. Remember that those who do evil rarely think of themselves as cruel and unjust. They see themselves as heroes, doing evil in the name of a Greater Good, and so cannot be stopped with words or entreaties. For the sake of their goals, they have resolved themselves to do what is necessary. The question is, are you? Are you resolved to do whatever it takes to defeat an enemy, to achieve your objective? If not, I ask of you, why would you think you stand a chance?"

His first assignment is something of a test, a scenario from the Book of Spells, which students will take in pairs - either chosen from this class, or randomly assigned by Quirrell, although their performance will be scored individually. These examinations will be held over the course of a week, so as to fit everyone

Who does Matou Shinji wish to work with?

[ ] Natsumi
    [ ] Ernest Macmillan
    [ ] Another Hufflepuff
    [ ] Someone from another class

When does he wish to schedule the examination?

[ ] As soon as possible
    [ ] As late as possible, so he has time to prepare
    [ ] In-between
    [ ] No preference

[x] Someone from another class
    [x] As late as possible, so he has time to prepare

I can see why Natsumi was sorted into Hufflepuff. No puff left behind! Even if it just them wanting to eat separately due to their special needs.

[X] Another Hufflepuff

Admittedly there might not outstanding options inside Hufflepuff, they are far more likely to work together with Shinji to overcome the trial than say a Gryffindor might. And given that the other class contains Sytherins and Ravenclaws its a crap shoot in determining if Shinji did not get stuck with someone like Hermione, or canon Pansy who might be in over their heads. Or difficult to work with.

Best to have Shinji diversify here and have him work with another puff to round himself out better with them. Maybe he will get lucky and be partnered with Susan. I think she would keep a level head.

[X] No preference

Constant Vigilance! Events happen to you regardless if you are ready for them so you have to be ready to go now and not cram it in. You should be ready to go at any time and thus have no preference. And if I was the teacher I would make the scenario harder the later it happens as word gets out.

[x] another class
    [X] as soon as possible