Page 60 of 91 FirstFirst ... 10505558596061626570 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1809

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The other, minor thing is that you selected, for top priority for presents: Miyuki, Sokaris, the Noel Twins.

Out of the three, only one has not yet been given a gift - Sokaris.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 15th, 2018 at 04:56 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    We have a tie between vertic and horizont alley.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Does Horizont Ally just have the same stuff as Vertic Alley except nicer and more expensive, or does it have it's own things that you can't find anywhere else?

Assuming it has unique items, [X] Horizont Alley.

As far as where to go over the summer, will Shinji know by White Day whether Miyuki will be transferring to Mahoutokoro? Currently, it's a probably, or perhaps an almost certainly. But if that changes before decision time, that may have a profound impact on his choice. Not spending the summer with her is a lot more enticing if it isn't the only chance he'll get to spend time with her. Also, how would she feel about him inviting himself along, regardless of whether she's transferring? If it'll strain their relationship, that's also something to keep in mind.

I doubt anyone wants to go with Luna, as we're all getting enough of her from the main timeline. Fuyuki would be nice, if Shinji could get his Obscurus under control, or at the very least not bring it out at the mere mention of Sakura. Family route and all. Fuyuki would also potentially allow for visiting Miyuki, and spending the summer at Mahoutokoro could allow for visiting his family. Touring Europe with Selina could be fun and interesting, but that option is the one to which I'm least drawn, after Luna.

I think that, if we're not spending the summer (or part thereof) with senpai or family, we should make use of our new house. We just spent half of our money, a whopping 30K on it, after all. And it gives the option to spend time with the greatest number of Shinji's friends (Amber, Phelan, Natsumi... Granger...). No matter where we go, Shinji will be able to work on his Craft, due to being outside of Britain or the Cast-a-Spell Kit. But his house is the only place where more than just Miyuki, Selina, and Ernie could train, and I think that's worth considering. That said, if we go to Mahoutokoro, we may be able to find a teacher, which would be immensely helpful, and if we go to Fuyuki, Zouken (or even Byakuya, if he's decided that Shinji's enough like his mother to be worth caring about) might be able to help with the Hero of Light's journal or A Study into the Possibility etc, and either way, cross-referencing the Matou library could help in comprehending Digging Two Graves.
    Last edited by apsalar; June 15th, 2018 at 10:30 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Horizont Alley

The home of the best craftsmen and artisans in all of Wizarding Britain, who cater nearly exclusively to the upper-class (because very few others can afford their rates). And while Vertic Alley will have some shops with high-quality pre-made goods, pretty much everything from Horizont is made to order and one of a kind. Natsumi's...gift from Quirrell was created here, for example, and involved quite a bit of complex enchantment and crafting to function properly.

If you have the money (or something else to make the time/effort worth their while), you can commission wondrous things there - or find something that's been made as an example.

What type of gift would you like for Sokaris?

[ ]
    (write-in)

I'm terrible at shopping for people that I actually know well, so coming up with a good gift idea out of the ether for a character is nearly impossible for me. If there were a list of things to pick between, I might have a preference; if there were a list of examples she might be interested in, I may gain inspiration. But as it stands, I'm not able to contribute to this vote, sorry.

As a possible springboard, what did we get her in the main timeline? All I remember is giving her Shinji's mother's wand during first year, and that's not going to work here.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    As a possible springboard, what did we get her in the main timeline? All I remember is giving her Shinji's mother's wand during first year, and that's not going to work here.
    That is basically the gift from first year, yes.

If you would like, I suppose I can supply some items that they are selling off - they basically have "showcase" items that they use to demonstrate what they can do for people who seek to commission their services.

Here are some options...

[ ] A pocketwatch, enchanted with the ability to track moving sources of magic (strength+distance), and a reusable apparition jammer, keeping people from coming in or out of the area of effect (8k Galleons)
    [ ] A pocket-sized pensieve designed to allow easier memory modification (deletion, blending with more "generic" memories, etc) (5k Galleons)
    [ ] An amulet which draws / nullifies magical attacks intended for the wearer, so long as its pool of magic (magical energy regenerates over time) (5k Galleons)
    [ ] A set of glasses which essentially allows those wearing them to use legilimency, and can be used to store the memories/information one gathers (enchanted to seem like normal glasses/with functions that can be locked down) (10k Galleons)

Or...

[ ] Commission something unique (write-in)

Oh, and your current balance is 22.4k Galleons
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 16th, 2018 at 02:15 AM.

Well, the pensieve and glasses are worthless for her. She already got a fancier-than-normal pensieve from Quirrel, and the glasses are pretty much entirely inferior to Etherlite. But either of the others could be fairly useful. Presumably the amulet doesn't work on attacks that use Concepts? If not, it has limited utility, as both being a magus and being a Dead Apostle render her resistant to most direct spells (that is, those that don't use nature interference). Although, to be fair, the only one of these Shinji knows is that she received a pensieve.

If I were to pick one of these examples, I'd pick the [x] pocketwatch. I'd rather commission something unique, but my creativity is still failing me. If anyone can suggest a good write-in, I'd be more than happy to change my vote.

[x] An amulet which draws / nullifies magical attacks intended for the wearer, so long as its pool of magic (magical energy regenerates over time) (5k Galleons)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Of course, if you want Shinji to spend money to get himself a gift, or buy gifts for others, that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Of course, if you want Shinji to spend money to get himself a gift, or buy gifts for others, that's fine too.
    Ha, great idea. Sure let's totally buy the pocketwatch AND Glasses so that we have a grand total of 4.4K Galleons left. I am sure shinji will never ever need money again people. *Sarcasm

I don't want to buy one object here, let alone two. Thought I do admit that if Shinji did buy something here for himself that could greatly help him but seriously I think we do not need the item at this moment. We do have more than just this year to think about. Unless you all think that money grows on trees...

The only options I could go for here is the Watch or the Amulet. I could be talked into buying both here and giving one to Sokaris.

The glasses are absolutely useless for Shinji to buy in that he doing it infront of Nats and Amber. It is not like he could then go around wearing them for the year without them knowing what is up. Thought its not like Shinji won't share his mind arts with them to defend their minds (heck nats been introduced to it all ready). Even if the glasses are super cool/useful.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    As long as you recall that 4.4k Galleon is still about 22k GBP, which is not a small sum of money for an 11 year old, especially after buying a house.

And if you're not satisfied with any of these, you could try asking for a custom commission.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 19th, 2018 at 02:34 PM.

Ok Alf, I'll throw caution to the wind here and use up almost all our money. God help people if his friends think they are going to get amazing gifts next year when he has no huge wads of cash to throw to everyone.

[X] Buy the Amulet AND the Glasses

I assume its keep the glasses and give sion the Amulet but heck I do not care if we just let her pick what one to keep. Either way we get a item that useful to Shinji.

Those glasses could cause huge amount of trouble for Shinji but man the things it could do/unlock...

The glasses boil down for me to the fundamental question of what do we want/become this route? Since I figured people are down with being more darker, more dark arts based this tool seems like a natural fit for Shinji to have. If no one wants to spend the 10K for this, I will be glad to keep the money in the bank but hey this thing could be a game changer. Well assuming that Shinji after using it, does not land in Jail without passing GO and not collecting $200.

I picked the Amulet over the Pocketwatch mostly because A) Cheaper and B) because apparition jamming while neat is not something that should come up as an issue for Shinji in the next few years since only adults really use this skill. Great if someone has to fight the likes of Tomas or similar build person but not all together super common. Where as magical protection, everyone can find useful.

Edit: So just realized that if we have Shinji get the glasses and wears them 24/7 does this mean that we are slowly turning Shinji into Harry? Given that Shinji has his wand, and now the glasses, the next logical step would be we need a cool scar...ah no wait don't read this Alf. Shinji does not need to look into ways of getting head injuries.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; June 19th, 2018 at 02:48 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Edit: So just realized that if we have Shinji get the glasses and wears them 24/7 does this mean that we are slowly turning Shinji into Harry? Given that Shinji has his wand, and now the glasses, the next logical step would be we need a cool scar...ah no wait don't read this Alf. Shinji does not need to look into ways of getting head injuries.
    I'm sure with your luck, Shinji getting a head injury is just a matter of time.

Out of curiosity, does the Apparition jammer also block Flow-Walking? Not that the shopkeeper would know, and not that it would be immediately relevant, but...

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apsalar View Post
    Out of curiosity, does the Apparition jammer also block Flow-Walking? Not that the shopkeeper would know, and not that it would be immediately relevant, but...
    It does not. As previously stated, flow-walking functions on a completely different mechanism from apparition.

Apparition requires a great clarity of focus. You need to be able to visualize where you want to go, pouring your will and determination into it - with a lack of focus proving potentially deadly due to splinching.

With Flow-walking (as practiced by most ofuda users), you are limited to destinations where your ofuda have been set, but there is little chance of anything like splinching. After all, you're not forcing yourself to be somewhere else - you're essentially re-uniting with a bit of yourself (the prana in your ofuda). The disadvantage here is that once you recombine with that bit of prana, its gone from the ofuda it was stored in, rendering that ofuda unsuitable for further use.

There is another variant of flow-walking (well, the original, on which the ofuda variant, as well as the fast-travel system of Mahoutokoro are based), which involves riding flows of prana within the world itself, but only a very few have the ability to use this skill in the modern era. This is also not blockable unless you screw up all the ley lines in a place.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 19th, 2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    There is another variant of flow-walking (well, the original, on which the ofuda variant, as well as the fast-travel system of Mahoutokoro are based), which involves riding flows of prana within the world itself, but only a very few have the ability to use this skill in the modern era. This is also not blockable unless you screw up all the ley lines in a place.
    Is that the ability that the Maiden mention in passing near the beginning of this book? In that she mention that Shinji could project himself to locations while fused but that was a long way off at that time and was hard to do.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    Is that the ability that the Maiden mention in passing near the beginning of this book? In that she mention that Shinji could project himself to locations while fused but that was a long way off at that time and was hard to do.
    Yes. And as you have seen, she is capable of using it.

Rather, she uses an advanced form of it, where she projects her astral body across a distance, while her keeping her physical form anchored to her current location. Her astral form is capable of doing most of the things her physical body is, as well, which puts her beyond most who do such projections today.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; June 19th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I need some kind of consensus, or at least a majority. 24 hours, people.

Ok we have like 12 hrs at this point people. I don't suppose anyone else has something to add on their opinion here so that we can come to some choice rather than just timeout here. Bad stuff happens when we do that.

[X] Amulet for Sokaris, Glasses for Shinji