Page 88 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3878838687888990 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1809

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So two slytherins, two hufflepuffs, and a gryffindor walk into a bar...
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    "Hufflepuff," Shinji stated, "because we wouldn't turn anyone away." He paused. "Or maybe Slytherin. Now that he's cleared his name, he might have something to prove, since he'd be the first half-giant ever to graduate Hogwarts. Still, better that than a half-elf. Though..." A shudder went down the boy's spine at the thought of someone willingly breeding with a being like Rumpy. "...would those even exist? Half-elves, I mean?"

"There have been some," Xenophilius replied. "Usually unacknowledged children of some of the wealthier families. Not unions of love, these."

Shinji nearly threw up then and there, with only the distraction of Selina's hand on the small of his back keeping him from doing so.

"...do practitioners of witchcraft just...breed with everything?!" the boy wondered incredulously. If so, he wondered why that was - were they such mongrels that it was easy enough to throw something else into the mix.

"I wouldn't know. I do not think any wizards have had children with a serpent or an acromantula, for example."

"I meant, magical beings."

"Ah, then yes, there have been half-vampires, half-hags, half-mermaids, and the like." Xenophilius noted. "With giants, well...there are certain potions for that."

"...to make the giant smaller or the person...bigger?" Shinji wondered.

"Both."

"How about werewolves?"

"Werewolves are an odd case," Xenophilius remarked. "You see, they aren't proper creatures. They're wizards that are twisted by a deadly curse, which failed to kill them only because it was weakened by dittany and silver. There is no half-werewolf you see. The child is either a human if the other parent was human, or if a werewolf mates with a wolf at the full moon, a wolf. The wolf pack in the Forbidden Forest is the result of such a rare mating. In neither case do the children bear the curse of the parent."

"Are there curses which are passed down?" Shinji wondered. "From parent to child?"

"There are...some such," the man admitted. "It is not often talked about, but some do exist. Curses that cause sterility, that cause one to die early, that make a family's magic weaker over time."

Selina gains a black fox familiar.

What does Shinji want to discuss with Luna and her father?

[ ] Magical Beasts
    [ ] Other Magical Countries
    [ ] More on magiical hybrids
    [ ] Blood Maledictions and other Curses
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] More on magical hybrids
    Last edited by shanagan; December 2nd, 2018 at 03:47 PM.

[X] More on magical hybrids

The man's speciality is this or magical creatures so might as well explore that topic. If we wanted to know more about other magical countries we should have gone to the UN magical equivalent location. I would of course like to explore more about Blood and curses but this does not feel like the right person to bring that up to. Maybe he might know something but I think it might draw some concern.

Blog Entries
    [x] Blood Maledictions and other Curses

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

And so they talk about curses - what Xenophilius considers some of the most terrible spells ever developed by wizardkind. His definition of curses is not quite what the Ministry uses though, since to him, the Cruciatus and Killing Curses were not properly curses.

"Oh, what makes you say that?" Selina asked, intrigued by this alternate point of view.

"Those spells may kill you or drive you insane, but they are much like any other spell that can kill or cause pain. No, of the Unforgivables, only the Imperius is truly a curse, as the actual effects of the spell may linger far beyond the time of casting," the man explained. "Certainly, the Killing Curse and the Cruciatus are capable of doing great harm, but they do not allow one to twist another in mind or body, to twist the destiny of another into another shape entirely. Consider how the Imperius can grant one more strength or magical energy than one can normally use so that one may accomplish a task."

Shinji's eyebrows shot upwards, as he hadn't been aware of that detail - well, that and Xenophilius' explanation sounded quite a bit like something a magus would say.

"That sounds more like a blessing than a curse," the boy spoke up, though the older man shook his head.

"If one sees clearly, curses and blessings are simply two sides of the same coin - powers that change us - and possibly our descendants by design," Xenophilius stated with conviction. "In that sense, one could say that a witch or wizard being born into a family of muggles has been cursed, for magic changes who we are, makes us unlike muggles. Or that a squib born into a family of witches or wizards is cursed. Cursed with new blood."

"Blood, huh?" Shinji murmured. He was not exactly unaware of the significance of blood in magecraft as a carrier of magical energy, but neither could he claim any particular knowledge or mastery of such. "A medium for...curses?"

"Just as it can be a medium for many other forms of magic," Xenophilius confirmed. "Sometimes, these curses are passed down to those born of a bloodline. Sometimes, not - it depends on the nature of the curse."

"The werewolf curse can't be passed on from parent to child, you mentioned," Selina mentioned.

"Indeed. That curse is deadly, but it only affects one who is cursed directly - or who is bitten by a were and is treated with dittany and silvery to weaken the curse's power," Xenophilus stated. "I can only imagine why it must have been created in the first place. Perhaps it was meant to be a weapon in a terrible war, where a bestial warrior whose every bite and scratch could kill was needed. Nevertheless, you are correct - they do not breed true. But then, one who created a weapon would have no need or desire for a weapon to breed true. To rage out of one's control. Perhaps werewolves were once commanded by wizards using the Imperius - one of the few spells able to overcome the animal rage of the beast - and used to slaughter the enemies of wizarding Britain. Or simply of their masters."

Shinji blinked. That was a far grimmer past than he'd imagined for werewolves, but then, he'd never really thought about who they were or where they were from - even why they existed.

"...yet other curses do affect generations to come?"

"Yes. The Greengrass family, for instance, had a distant ancestor who was so cursed. The weakness lingers in their blood, slumbering until maturity - until a womb quickens. Rare is it for any Greengrass to have more than one child. This is the first generation where there has been more than one in a long time."

"...how do you know all this?"

Xenophilius looked down.

"...to purge the curses of blood by awakening the power slumbering in our souls was the work of someone dear to me," was all he said. "She believed that if the one a curse was meant to afflict changed enough, that the curse would not recognize them and fail to take hold. Alas, I cannot tell you more, for..." He breathes deeply. "Do excuse me for a moment."

With that, Xeno walks off, leaving Luna with the duo - who is regarding her rather curiously in light of this information.

[ ] Ask Luna about her mother
    [ ] Ask Luna about her interests
    [ ] Ask if she knows more about this...research
    [ ] (write-in)

Matou Shinji found it quite relaxing to sit by the sea, on a secluded beach out of sight of all. Selina and Lily were off doing some shopping, or perhaps swimming, and had agreed to give him some time alone to think - which was good, for he could hardly think around them when they were in their swimsuits - and when many on the beach were in even less.

Here, by the sea, he was able to slowly sort through all the things that had happened in the past year in peace. The missteps, the moments of triumph. The comfort he'd felt from being so close to senpai, coupled with the guilt that he could not do anything for her, and the fear that she might soon go far away. The embarrassment he'd suffered around Amber and Natsumi - though in its own way, it wasn't unwelcome, even if his cheeks grew warm, and certain parts of his anatomy acted up without his consent. The terrible things Granger had done to him, and yet how he had lost his mind when he had seen her killed in front of him.

The gossip about him in the paper, as this mysterious child of the East. The empty glories he'd gained. And now and again, flashes of memory that didn't quite belong - flashes of him laughing savagely as he tore apart a giant spider, a chorus of all too human screams as some kind of ...nest? burned in ebon flames. Golden eyes. They came only every once in a while, more since he'd begun working with Selina on Occlumency, and he wanted to know just what they were. Were these half-remembered dreams stirred up by her probing his mind? Or...was it something else?

Surely...he couldn't have reveled in the screams of the dying, couldn't have laughed as he tore into beast and devoured its still beating heart. That would be...he couldn't be someone like that. He wasn't a monster, after all - Miyuki-senpai had told him so. So why, why did--...

The boy's thoughts trailed off as he heard a sound - a splash that seemed a bit louder than usual.

He looked up...and instantly, everything else faded away, except for the sight of a golden-haired goddess emerging from the waves like Aphrodite of old, her skin glistening in the sun as drops of water ran down her cloth of spun sunshine that clung tantalizingly to her curves. Gazing at her was like looking at the sun itself, and seeing her, his entire body felt hot, as if he was melting. A moan of pleasure escaped his lips, and as if she heard, the goddess looked up, her startled blue gaze meeting his grey.

His body...it was like exquisite fire burned through him, his heart pounding in his chest.

Something...he could feel something wet dripping from his nose, dripping...

He looked down...

Blood? Why...?

The goddess touched him, and everything went white.

...some time later, Matou Shinji awoke, finding himself laying on a towel under an umbrella, with a girl quite a few years younger than him babbling something in French. His memory was fuzzy, with him wondering what had...

And then she appeared.

The...he'd thought she was a goddess. Why? Why had he lost control like that?

"Comment ca va?" she said, looking at him with concern, with her sheer presence making parts of him wake up, making him tremble.

"Je...je ne...je ne parle pas franēais."

"'re you o-kay?" she asked, in English this time.

"I...who are you?"

"Ah, je suis...I am Fleur Delacour."

What would Shinji like to know?

[ ] Is she really a goddess
    [ ] Did it hurt when she fell from heaven?
    [ ] And who is Fleur Delacour?
    [ ] What happened? Why am I here?
    [ ] Did she do something to him?
    [ ] (write-in)

[ ] Ask if she knows more about this...research

[ ] What happened? Why am I here?

[x] Ask Luna about her interests.
    [X] What happened? Why am I here?
    Last edited by shanagan; December 6th, 2018 at 11:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sure guys, just ask the girl about her dead mother, that will certainly not be awkward at all.

[x] And who is Fleur Delacour?

I had that same thought on the manner Daiki. I am sure Shinji would want to ask Luna about the research or her mother but at this very moment, it feels wrong to dig at that wound. But at the same time the Research question is likely less painful but still rather cold to ask. Especially since this Shinji does not know that Luna saw her mother die. He will twist the verbal knife in that regard if we let him.

[x] And who is Fleur Delacour?

I admit I am not seeing the point of this Fleur question or what difference it would make, given his current reaction to her presence. All it seems we are doing is setting a tone. One seems to lean towards accusing her, another him being really confused and the other I am not even sure about.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    I admit I am not seeing the point of this Fleur question or what difference it would make, given his current reaction to her presence. All it seems we are doing is setting a tone. One seems to lean towards accusing her, another him being really confused and the other I am not even sure about.
    Setting a tone / providing a first impression, yes - and as you likely know, first impressions now that you have some clarity of thought, will affect future relations with the people you meet.

Currently we have a tie for the first question.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 5th, 2018 at 11:44 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] And who is Fleur Delacour? / [X] What happened? Why am I here?

Luna brightens a bit as she talks about her love of magical beasts, be it the legendary Crumple Horned Snorkack (which she had made it a goal of hers to find) or those which were better known, like phoenixes and thunderbirds, animals which were free to live as they wished, unburdened by the rules of society.

"I don't like trolls though," she commented. "They smell rather bad, and really, they're beings, not beasts."

"Oh?" Selina inquired. "Then why do the books list them as beasts?"

"Because the goblins didn't like it when wizards called Trolls beings, saying they were too stupid to be such," Luna murmured. "But if that was true, then wouldn't many wizards be beasts as well?"

Shinji blinked. It seemed that beneath her dreamy, mild-mannered nature, Luna Lovegood certainly had...opinions about the rest of the magical world.

"What was definition of being before?" he asked.

"If it walks on two legs, it is a being, while beasts crawl on four or fly with wings."

"...four legs good, two legs better, eh?" Selina quipped, with Luna nodding, while Shinji seemed lost.

"It's strange that many called beasts are just as clever as those called being," Luna commented solemnly. "It's all part of a conspiracy, you know, hiding where we came from. Pretending we're different, that we're more clever than the others, when we're not."

"Oh?"

"We don't have the power of a house elf, or the metal lore of the goblins. We just have our wands."

"...how did house elves become subservient to wizards anyway?" Selina asked.

"I imagine we enslaved them. Probably with something like the imperius."

What are Shinji's thoughts on the matter?

[ ] (write-in)

[X] Imperius unlikely. More likely caused by a curse of some kind. One that makes them feel pleasure/happy obeying orders so they want to serve willing. He draws the line at Being in that beings are creatures that are offended when they are called a beasts. A beast would not care.

Shinji showcases his curse background by looking at the House elf creation as a work of a horrible curse. I think that is the most logical angle for Shinji to reason.

Yeah that defination opens up a lot to being considered a beast but really that is what the line is asking, Are you a thinking creature? Trolls might be slow to understand but they could understand at some level it is an insult. A Dragon (well the HP ones) can't. Goblins are very much in the camp of easily offended so are Beings.

Blog Entries
    [X] Imperius unlikely. More likely caused by a curse of some kind. One that makes them feel pleasure/happy obeying orders so they want to serve willing. He draws the line at Being in that beings are creatures that are offended when they are called a beasts. A beast would not care.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

"It could be," Luna responded. "Curses are complicated things, after all, twisting fate and destiny, and no one knows much about the house elves, except that they used to wear armor," she murmured. "I wonder if they were like the goblins."

"Well, maybe they were kobolds," Selina replied, a thoughtful expression on her face. "Goblinoid creatures," she explained when Shinji looked at her with some confusion. "Some of which have powerful magic. At least, that's the case in Faerūn." She chuckled a bit. "Though I will be the first to admit that the magical creatures and beings here aren't quite like over in Faerūn. Even some of the magic is different."

"Oh?" Shinji asked, intrigued. Selina had never spoken about her adventures in this sort of light.

"Faerūn is a land where the magic never really went into hiding," the bespectacled blonde replied matter-of-factly. "Yes, you have people born to bloodlines that can use magic, but you also have people who gain the ability to use miracles from the gods they serve, or who learn to control the magic of the world by learning and preparing the right words."

Shinji froze as he heard this, as such a land sounded very much like a remnant of the Age of Gods.

"Are there...dragons?" the boy asked. "Not the beasts they mention in our textbooks. Powerful ones, I mean."

"Oh yes," Selina agreed. "The Children of Tiamat chief among them. Dragons of many hues and none. Faerūn is an odd place, like I said."

"Have you ever seen a crumple-horned snorkack then?" Luna questioned, quickly describing what one would look like.

"No, I've never seen this manner of beast," Selina replied. "Though I don't doubt their existence. There are stranger things in all the planes and layers of reality than that."

It was around that time that Xenophilius returned, with Luna turning to him.

"Next summer, can we go to Faerūn?" the young girl asked him, with the man's eyes narrowing.

"Where?"

"Selina Moore was speaking about it as a place where there were magical creatures not seen anywhere else in the world," Luna replied guilelessly. "Even talking dragons."

"Is that so?" Xenophilius asked quietly, looking at the girl in question.

"...it is," Selina agreed, though she seemed troubled. "It is a perilous place for the unprepared though. The goblins there aren't...civilized, exactly. They're certainly not bankers. There are infestations of the undead. The boundaries of reality are...weaker there, you could say."

"You survived that land, yes?"

"Mostly thanks to my brother and his party," Selina agreed. "Even I would find it dangerous to go alone."

"Will you train my Luna in what surviving Faerūn means then? Prepare her for the dangers to come."

"I will do my best," Selina replied with a curtsy.

"Thank you."

"You...touriste?" Fleur continued, with Shinji only asking who she was. "Ah, je suis désolé. I am ze daughter of l'ambassadeur francais. You...collapsed. I carried you."

"Oh," Shinji said dumbly. "Carried me?" As he looked over her form, not knowing where was really safe to look, he noticed that she didn't seem to be the strongest person, with her body slim as it was.

"Oui. Mobilicorpus," she replied, as she handed him his...wand.

"...you're a witch."

"Oui, c'est vrai," she confirmed with a dip of her head. "You...'Ogwarts ou Mahoutokoro?"

"Hogwarts, normally," Shinji responded, finding himself on more familiar ground. "But I am at Beauxbatons for the summer."

"Ah, l'École d’été...how you say...summer school?"

"Um, you could say that."

"Vous etes...you are lost?"

"I was...thinking," Shinji found himself saying. "On the beach. About a lot of things. I don't remember what now. I..." He blinked. "I must have fallen asleep. I thought I saw a goddess," he whispered.

Fleur sighed.

"My soeur...my sister Gabrielle will return you to your fellows. Can you walk?"

Shinji gingerly managed to get to his feet.

"...I think so," he said with what little dignity he managed to retain. "I'm sorry you had to see me like this. Thank you for helping me."

The part-Veela said nothing, only gesturing for him to follow her sister, which Shinji did without complaint. He'd caused enough trouble for everyone.

When he gets back, what does he mention to Selina, who was worried when she couldn't find him earlier?

[ ]
    Tell her about the "goddess"
    [ ] Give the version of events Fleur told him
    [ ] Ask her about the spell mobilicorpus
    [ ] Say he's able to take care of himself

I for one welcome our new Slytherin Luna.

Hanging around Selina makes this Shinji feel so worthless in that no matter what he does Selina is going to out shine him and charm everyone. Even if she is giving everyone a big fat lie. She is currently digging a hole that I am not sure she can ever fill. She is out doing main line Shinji in being a bigger phony.

Fleur went about as well as one can really expect when he is vulnerable to her. He was doing really well until he mention the goddess. Gabby might be a little young to intrust Shinji but I can understand why she did a 180 there. Thought I think I am more annoyed at losing any process of him thinking alone on the beach.

[X] Give the version of events Fleur told him

Blog Entries
    [x] Give the version of events Fleur told him

Definitely keeps the goddess part to himself

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Oddly enough, when Gabrielle takes Shinji back to the area where his peers are gathered, Lily de Lune seems to recognize the little girl, as Lily strikes up a conversation about Fleur and how she is doing - in French, of course, which the boy could not follow.

"...you know each other?" Shinji asked, rather taken aback.

"It's a small world," Lily responded with a very Gallic shrug, the effortless grace of which was all the more striking as he knew she wasn't french to begin with. "Her sister, Fleur, is very well known at Beauxbatons - and their family graciously hosted me for Christmas this year. What 'appened to you, that you were brought back by another?"

"Ah," Shinji said eloquently, before giving the gist of what had happened - that he had been thinking, and then perhaps because of the sun, had fallen asleep or collapsed or some such. He omitted any mention of a goddess of course, given that he didn't think such would cause Selina to regard him well, given the reaction he'd gotten from Fleur...

"It would be better if you were around others. Would you like to join Selina and I as we wander? We thought to do some shopping at one of the nearby villages, as we both now have familiars."

"Familiars?" Shinji inquired. "I...I don't think I've seen yours."

"Ah, true," Lily murmured. "Show yourself, Inaba."

The creature proceeded to do so, with Shinji being rather startled as the odd hare shimmered into view with a strange cry.

"I found him in the mountains," Lily stated. "He was hurt, and I nursed him to health - he's been with me ever since, even if he's shy around strangers."

"What is he?"

"Some variety of magical rabbit, I think," Lily replied. "Sadly, magical creatures was never my forte."

What does Shinji say?

[ ] Ask if she thinks he should get a familiar
    [ ] Why "Inaba"? Is she familiar with the tale?
    [ ] Does she know anything about her familiar? What can it do?
    [ ] (write-in)