Page 17 of 91 FirstFirst ... 7121516171819222767 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[X] He wants to be acknowledged and respected

The key here is to not have Shinji explain himself on his answer here. There is no reason why Shinji would admit to why he wants acknowledgement of his family or even mention them. Not to this teacher and certainly not to his peers. Shinji might be more open this go around but he is not that open. But in the end this more than anything in the world is what he wants. Power and knowledge our the tools to gain the ultimate goal here, acknowledgment.

[X] Ask her about her reaction to receiving her Hogwarts Letter

Given that she is a muggle and that she has her own idea of what a wizard is due to love of DnD, I would be amused to hear her response on the subject. its a safe topic that brings up her muggle background in a way that not as rude as simply bringing it up.

[X] He wants to be acknowledged and respected

[X] Ask her about her reaction to receiving her Hogwarts Letter

Blog Entries
    It's cool that we got an introduction to the two girls.

[X] He wants to be acknowledged and respected.

[X] Ask her about her reaction to receiving her Hogwarts Letter.

I feel like Shinji doesn't want to ask about the details of Malfoy's situation.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    How does Shinji answer? [X] He wants to be acknowledged and respected

Anything in particular you want to ask her? [X] Ask her about her reaction to receiving her Hogwarts Letter

Time goes by. The weeks pass. Slowly and steadily, Matou Shinji begins to get used to Hogwarts and learn more about those he calls friends - or at least acquaintances. Operating as part of his group of four, Shinji continues to produce excellent results for the rest of the month in Potions, consistently earning top grades and claiming the Potions prize, much to Slughorn's delight - and Hermione's growing ire, as she thinks they must be cheating - somehow. In transfiguration, Shinji's efforts pay off - though he is not the best in the class, neither is he the worst, and he seems to have a special privilege for untransfiguration - for unmaking changes, both his own and those of others. In history, Matou Shinji continues to sleep through classes, much to Natsumi's disappointment and embarrassment, though at least he is no longer snoring. In his other classes, he generally does well, even in Defense, where Quirrell's teaching style proves to be very interesting, as he likes to pose various scenarios from history to his students as written or oral exercises, without telling him where they are from, seeing how they do as small groups - or as an entire class. These exercises are quite challenging, especially to first years with little grasp of what exactly certain spells can do, or all the uses of various potions or ingredients, but if nothing else, it drives them to be creative, to look deeper, and to make sure they think before acting (as Shinji has lost track of the number of his classmates whose scenarios end in them being "eaten by grues", swarmed by inferi, or cursed by some flesh-eating spell because they weren't careful.

He continues seeking consultations from Miyuki-senpai, finding that somehow he feels more at peace around her than around others, though his weekends are more often spent...

In his free time, he prioritized working on...

[ ] Occlumency
    [ ] Curses
    [ ] (choose a class)
    [ ] Learning the etiquette of the tea ceremony
    [ ] Refining his telekinetic control with Mopsus
    [ ] (write-in)

And he did so

[ ] Alone
    [ ] With Natsumi
    [ ] With Miyuki
    [ ] With both of them
    [ ] (write-in)

At one of the informal meetings, Selina has two questions for Shinji. "Of these various characteristics, which two would you value most?"

[ ] Strength
    [ ] Intelligence
    [ ] Dexterity
    [ ] Wisdom
    [ ] Constitution
    [ ] Charisma

And...
    "Are you the type to take risks, for possibility of better rewards? Or are you the type to allocate your resources carefully, so trading power for precision?"

How does he answer?
    [ ] Risk is our business
    [ ] Calculation is key
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 13th, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Occlumency with Miyuki

I think Shinji will have an easier time learning it if he is around the calming presence of Miyuki. If she wants to learn it as well even better. I am not against other activities if someone has a good reason for picking something else.

[X] INT & CHA

Intelligence is the base stat for wizards as you darn well know Selina. 99% of wizards have it as their top stat, thought I once worked with a friend to make him a CON 20 Dwarven Wizard to show up a horrible rule lawyer arrogent GM who thought that a full classed wizard could never be on the front lines. Well that wizard did tore thru the man's campaign like a magical hot dwarven battleaxe thru butter. Much like how a fused Shinji can do so to most other wizards.

The second stat to me comes down to the the three main choices that are usually picked Dex, Wis and Cha. Either of theses I can see going with in the end. Dex is the Flit and Lockhart pick. Wis is always important to willpower checks which Shinji rather needs. Charisma is the stat that I think Tomas would approve of the most and is also the stat that I think Shinji values the most.

Last choice, so hard to pick. Risk is certainly what we are good at picking as its for sure the one that got picked in the main fic. I suspect its the one that will win out in reality again this go ahead no matter what we pick here. Cause we tend to be risk takers, hoping for large rewards in the end.

But Calculation is key is the one that makes for a more subtle character that could be fun. And given that we no longer have Ofuda for Shinji to be able to throw magical energy around like candy, I think that ultimately this version of Shinji has to go precision over flash to be effective. But that in turns goes against his berserker form and what his wand is set up...so yeah I am unsure at this moment.

I am more lining towards Calculation at the moment.

Blog Entries
    [x] Split his free time equally between Occlumency & Transfiguration.

Occlumency since he needs to ever refine his mind. Transfiguration is best worked on during school days, as he has access to the library, Senpai special lessons and McGonagall for advices. (Summer training is harder since he doesn't have a particular tome to work on it)

[x] With Miyuki.

We're already working on his mind with Miyuki anyway and she is good at Transfiguration.

[x] Wisdom & [x] Charisma.

Shooting for Warlock build (Profic in Arcana and Deception)

[x] Calculation is key.

Slow and steady wins the race.
    Last edited by Daiki; January 13th, 2018 at 03:08 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    I once worked with a friend to make him a CON 20 Dwarven Wizard to show up a horrible rule lawyer arrogent GM who thought that a full classed wizard could never be on the front lines. Well that wizard did tore thru the man's campaign like a magical hot dwarven battleaxe thru butter. Much like how a fused Shinji can do so to most other wizards.
    This sounds patently hilarious. You'll have to tell me more.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Occlumency.

[x] Alone

[x] Wisdom [x] Strength

[x] Risk is our business

[x] Occlumency with Miyuki and Natsumi

Shinji already tried to study Occlumency alone in library and it ended not very well. With Miyuki around it may be easier for him, and Natsumi may be interested because isn't occlumency somehow remind of some sort of Jedi mind descipline?

[x] Intelligence & [x] Wisdom.

I doubt Shingi know about D&D stuff because of his reaction to Selina's "perception rolls", so probably it makes sense for him to choose most Wizard/Magus related things.

[x] Calculation is key.

Blog Entries
    [X] Occlumency
    [X] With both of them

[X] Wisdom
    [X] Charisma

[X] Calculation is key.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Occlumency w/ Miyuki + Natsumi
    [x] Wis + Cha
    [x] Calculation is Key

Is there any preference on where to work on OCCLUMENCY with Miyuki and Natsumi?

[ ] An Unused Classroom
    [ ] Miyuki's Greenhouse Space
    [ ] The Library
    [ ] Hufflepuff Common Room
    [ ] (write-in)

At the end of the September, there is a confrontation with Miss Granger after Potions, with the young woman asking to speak to him in private. With some agitation, she requests that he leave Sokaris alone, saying that she doesn't care what kind of hold Shinji has over her, but that what he is doing is wrong. She's seen him working with his group of four after all, and suspects they've been engaging in unauthorized collaboration aka cheating.

Shinji asks Hermione if she is threatening him in a low, dangerous tone, at which the girl finches, but doesn't back down. She tells him that she shouldn't need to, that if he had any human decency at all, he should stop his disgraceful behavior.

Things break down after that, with the last thing Shinji remembers being a remark about how if he uses people and no doubt will just end up throwing them away when they outlive their usefulness, no doubt he will be thrown away himself.

Natsumi, alerted by an agonized, nearly inhuman, shriek, comes running, only to discover a passed out Shinji on the ground some time later, with Hermione nowhere in sight, just a still warm puddle where she had been standing.

Concerned, she gets Slughorn to take him to the Hospital Wing

"What happened?" she asks, once Shinji wakes up, his heat throbbing painfully.

How does Shinji answer?

[ ] He doesn't remember
    [ ] Granger must have attacked him
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 16th, 2018 at 08:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    [x] An Unused Classroom
    [x] Granger must have attacked him

Setting her up as enemy
    Last edited by Daiki; January 15th, 2018 at 07:05 PM.

[x] Miyuki's Greenhouse Space
    [x] He doesn't remember

Since Shinji doesn't exactly remember what happened it's better to just say truth.

Hermione nowhere in sight, just a still warm puddle where she had been standing
    I hope it means that she was so much scared and ran away, and not that Shinji just liquefied Hermione.
    Last edited by Desann; January 16th, 2018 at 01:57 PM.

[x] An Unused Classroom
    [x] Granger must have attacked him

Oh Hermione you should not have said that last part. Pushing that sore spot is not going to go well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Setting her up as enemy
    No set up needed. I do believe she is already an enemy.

I am not sure why Shinji is not defending himself by informing Hermione that he has no hold on Sokaris and that just maybe it is Sokaris that choosing to work with his friends. And that collaboration is not cheating as each member contributes. Not that Hermione would believe him or see it in the same light.

[X] Miyuki's Greenhouse Space
    A peaceful retreat is the best place to calm your mind for this task.

[X] Hermione started an argument with him, which caused Shinji to get angry, causing a blank in his mind.

At this point I think we can safely have Shinji link that strong emotional responses from him causing his mind to blank out. So we should prompt that from him.

Granger must of attack him answer is a bad answer. Full stop. Not because of some misguided reason to protect Hermione from a harsh response but because there is no evidence of her attacking. The puddle in fact implies otherwise and I think even Shinji can realize that. So why state an untruth then? A subtle evil power does not go around accusing others without firs making sure they have all the facts pointing the blame right at the other side. Subtle evil gets public opinion on their side. Riddle did not go around accusing Hagrid off the bat, not without first having 'evidence' that pointed the act towards Hagrid.

So my proposal is that we reduce the level of blame we point at Hermione and only point out how she is the aggressor seeking him out. Believe me this will grind on Natsumi and others until they are all fully on Shinji's side. And then we strike. Accusing her of an attack is playing the cards too early at this point. If someone can suggest a better worded write in here than mine, I am all for it.

And when the time is right, we will crush her if she refuses to back off.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 15th, 2018 at 06:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    blah
    Either of these locations sounds good really. The main thing is to not be disturbed.

As for Shinji's reason to accuse Hermione, she pissed off Shinji too much at this point. Basically cutting to the quick with the comment about being thrown away. Natsumi already knows Shinji and Hermione met, and that they are not on the best terms, having witnessed that in the Raven common room before. Don't necessarily want to worry Natsumi about his memories being messed up, as she could very well attack Hermione in revenge. (Thinking she used the obliviate spell on him or caused a concussion)

Different story when Natsumi is aware of Shinji's missing memories' episodes later.

Could go with a write in like yours Skull, only without the memories blank. Something like [ ] Shinji and Hermione had an argument.

It's enough to satisfy Natsumi's curiosity, as she wouldn't expect another result. The puddle is just whatever.

Guess what, I'll make the swap [x] Shinji and Hermione had an argument.
    Last edited by Daiki; January 15th, 2018 at 07:06 PM.

Change to:
    [x] Shinji and Hermione had an argument.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure why Shinji is not defending himself by informing Hermione that he has no hold on Sokaris and that just maybe it is Sokaris that choosing to work with his friends. And that collaboration is not cheating as each member contributes. Not that Hermione would believe him or see it in the same light.
    Technically, if you work on a project in a 4-person group when you're supposed to be working in groups of 2, there is indeed an argument to be made that it is cheating (similarly to if you work on an individual assignment with a partner). Shinji will be commenting that technically he is using his own recipe, and that there is no shame in sitting with each other and asking the occasional question, and Hermione is unwilling to report them to Slughorn since...well, she doesn't want to get Sokaris in trouble.

Friendship is such a touching thing, isn't it?

The puddle in fact implies otherwise and I think even Shinji can realize that. So why state an untruth then?
    Shinji, by virtue of waking up in the hospital wing, and not seeing the scene of the incident, doesn't know about the puddle, as no one thought it relevant to mention to him.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; January 15th, 2018 at 09:31 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Current tally:

Where to study Occlumency?

[2] Miyuki's Greenhouse Space
    [2] Unused Classroom

What happened?

[2] Shinji and Hermione had an argument
    [1] Hermione started an argument with him, which caused Shinji to get angry, causing a blank in his mind (admitting to memory issues)
    [1] He doesn't Remember

[x] Miyuki's Greenhouse Space

[x] Hermione started an argument with him, which caused Shinji to get angry, causing a blank in his mind

Half-answer won't do - because anyone would ask 'okay, you had an argument, then what?'
    Either we go full denial - don't remember at all - or full answer.