Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3676818485868788 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1809

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[x] Yes, Occlumency.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Yes, Occlumency

Curiouser and curiouser, so Shinji will share with her the secrets of mind and soul. I suppose the moon did have dominion over the mind in the lore of ages. Of course, since Shinji has volunteered to work with her, it is only fair for her to work with him and share some of what she knows - or source his help for some of her projects, which can have other rewards

What will Shinji ask of Selina? (choose one)

[ ] ...to assist her with Crafting Wondrous Items (as she calls it)
    [ ] ...to help her as a (dungeon) Master (help her manage a group of...would be adventurers as they face a scenario)
    [ ] ...to help her find a familiar (that isn't from a pet store)
    [ ] ...to have her teach him how to pick locks and disarm traps
    [ ] ...to teach him how to understand girls
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    [x] ...to assist her with Crafting Wondrous Items.

All of these sound good, especially lockpicks and trap option, but I think crafting basics fall more in line Shinji's repertoire, merging well with Occlumency and Curses. Keeps the mind busy and allows to make items that you can later enchant / curse for enhanced results.

We don't need uncommon creatures as support, we will summon one from an obscure / alien plane of existence. We're a warlock, we don't go fetch our familiars.

That one is on the scale of only being granted by a wish from a powerful magical item. In other words, Shinji you are doomed to never understand girls...like the rest of your gender.

Hmmm choices choices.

Oh the DM Shinji pick would be amusing, with him being let in on the joke of Selina. It might make a more thoughtful Shinji. At least he get a more sense on bad behaviors that players...ahm adventurers tend to do. And Rogue Shinji is always useful with the lockpicking skills.

To be fair Daiki, the familiar option is not about Shinji finding his familiar but Selina doing so, and she is not a Warlock so the limitation is ok. But I am curious what they would find for a familiar if they looked. But honestly I think if you are not going to go on a full on quest to find one, then you should not spend to much time seeking one out. Simply live your life and see what happens. A familar might find/choose you anyway. After all who's to say that they do not go looking for a partner themselves.

[X] ...to assist her with Crafting Wondrous Items (as she calls it)

The more cynical me might think this gets picked solely for the fable loot that it might generate in the future even if anything they make will not be anything even close to impressive for a very very long time (if ever). After all they are not Touko. Not like Shinji is going to throw everything else aside and go fully into this endeavor. But to me, it is not so much about what stuff we might generate but more a sharing of her passion with Shinji. Maybe he can help her but more importantly Shinji gets to see another form of someone creating something in a field they love. It is likely to remind Shinji of Miyuki since its rather similar to her passion with her passion for her herbology project.

If our new Soul Sister is going to help us with our own speciality we might as well assist her in hers and see what two heads can come up with.

[x] ...to assist her with Crafting Wondrous Items (as she calls it)

[x] ...to assist her with Crafting Wondrous Items (as she calls it)

Blog Entries
    I was only talking about Shinji's personal benefits of course but, yes, showing interest in what she does is a good thing too.

And yeah, I don't expect anything grand from Shinji's tinkering, just think it has potential to offer cool options down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post

That one is on the scale of reaching True Magic.
    Fixed that for you. x)

Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Fixed that for you. x)
    So what you are saying is that if Shinji ever understood girls then he has became the new Wizard Marshall?

It is certainly a magic that could not be replicated by science. There you go Shinji your route to becoming a true Wizard. All you have to do is unlock the secret of understanding girls. Good luck.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] ...to assist her with Crafting Wondrous Items (as she calls it)

And on a much less important note - what kind of presents should Shinji seek out for Senpai...as well as for Amber and Natsumi...and maybe Phelan and Ernie? Choose something for each one, remembering that Shinji maybe as a thousand galleons at most.

[ ] Wondrous Items (crafted)
    [ ] Postcards
    [ ] Souvenirs from the Tarasque Festival
    [ ] Items from the Grindelwald Museum/Memorial
    [ ] An assortment of French Desserts
    [ ] Books from the shop that Nicholas Flamel used to run
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; November 21st, 2018 at 04:17 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] Wondrous Items (crafted)

It would count like prantice.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So what you are saying is that if Shinji ever understood girls then he has became the new Wizard Marshall?
    I'm sure he'd gain about the same amount of influence with young men wishing for him to take them on as his apprentice in this ancient art...

[X] Wondrous Items (crafted)

However just to point this out but I doubt that this comes as a super cheap pick. After all take one look at how much it costs for someone to make a wonderous item in DnD even with their reduced cost for the crafter due to components. And the time it will take to do this will certainly eat into our time for other projects so if you want to max Soul Magic time or animagus time, we might not want to pick this. But in the end it is a set of gifts that might mean more since he made it himself to his important people.

Thought really I would like to also send postcards to the trio in Japan to give them updates on him. After all Natsumi should not spend the entire time worried that Shinji is having bad dreams again or having outbursts of his darker side. And frankly postcards are super cheap. Maybe just not mention just how much time he is spending with Selina or talk about her the entire postcard.

Blog Entries
    I would like to see the whole item list available but for now I'll go with this;

For Senpai only; [x] Books from the shop that Nicholas Flamel used to run

I'm sure a book about alchemy wouldn't be lost on Miyuki. It will likely be one of the more costly expense, but it's for Senpai, so I think we can afford to spend the extra here, especially if it is something that could be of help for her work.

For Amber only; [x] Wondrous Items (crafted)

I'll have to go with something personal, custom-made even, however little his crafting skills are at that point. Since she's the prime love interest, she likely would want to know that he was thinking of her, spent time doing something for her during his free time, even when distance separated them.

Who knows, it might even mitigate her annoyance when she sees the beach photos?

For Natsumi, Amber & Quirrell; [x] Items from the Grindelwald Museum/Memorial

Subject to change depending on the items available there. I would get something of significant history value (even if it's really cheap or it's a mere replica) for Quirrell, I'm sure he would appreciate something related to Grindelwald since the man would be an ideal topic for future lessons.

For Senpai, Natsumi, Amber, Ernie & Phelan; [x] Souvenirs from the Tarasque Festival + [x] An assortment of French Desserts.

Going with the idea that Shinji has a way to maintain the desserts in a fresh state, otherwise I would pick Calissons D'Aix or something similar.

Don't think that one option would cost all that much but I would adjust depending on how much we spent on the rest.

For Slughorn (and maybe Sprout); [x] An assortment of French Desserts.

Yes, I went there. x)

Adding to that, [x] Postcards for all his friends.

Ideally, I would go for about a third of his money (maybe half if the gifts are really good) but not higher. It's funny how it goes, eh?
    Last edited by Daiki; November 22nd, 2018 at 07:41 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you're interested in items, I'm online to chat (and am working on drafting an item list!)

Total Budget: 1000 Galleons

Wondrous Items: Created in the workshop of Beauxbatons, where novice enchanters and learners work to hone their craft. Basic material cost is free, but time (for using space), time (of assistants), and intermediate goods (like rings, robe patterns, are not).
    - Robe of Useful Items - 50 Galleons
    - Alchemy Jug - 25 Galleons
    - Decanter of Endless Water - 50 Galleons
    - Ring of Water Breathing - 15 Galleons
    - Ring of Featherfall - 15 Galleons
    - Glass Flower of Moonlight (for Miyuki - personal attention needed) - 15 Galleons

Postcards
    - Assorted, available from a number of venues, whether from gift shop, or via photobooth (1 Galleon for 5)

Souvenirs from the Tarasque Festival
    - Model Tarasque (5 Galleons)
    - Clay figurine of St. Martha (5 Galleons)
    - A copy of Tartarin of Tarascon (5 Galleons)
    - A fanciful comic of St. Martha "taming" Tarasque by punching it (1 Galleon)

Items from the Grindelwald Museum/Memorial
    - Replica of Grindelwald's Coat - 100 Galleons
    - Grindelwald's Wand (Replica) - 50 Galleons
    - Grindelwald's Manifesto (book) - 15 Galleons
    - A signed first edition, first print of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them - 5000 Galleons
    -
    Lottery ticket for 1st Ed, Fantastic Beasts - 13 Galleons
    -
    Leonard Spencer-Moon's History of the Grindelwald Incident - 10 Galleons
    - Pocketwatches with interesting enchantments - 25 Galleons Each
    - Vials containing dirt from the valley where Grindelwald was brought low at last - 35 Galleons Each
    - Newspapers (original and replicas) covering the defeat of Grindelwald by Dumbledore - (original: 250 Galleons each, replica: 10)
    - Assorted other items

An assortment of French Desserts
    - Assorted, and yes, there are ways to keep food fresh

Books from the shop that Nicholas Flamel used to run
    - What is purportedly an odd book on Alchemy, with a cover of brass and pages wrought from the bark of young trees (500 Galleons)
    - "Exposition of the Hieroglyphical Figures", a reprint of a 1624 book allegedly by Flamel (5 Galleons)
    - The Final Fortress: Guarding the Mind (5 Galleons)
    - Cryptomagizoology - Beyond Scamander (15 Galleons)
    -
    10th Anniversary Dungeons & Dragons Collector's Set (50 Galleons)
    - Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (5 Galleons)
    - Assorted others
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; November 22nd, 2018 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Shinji

Pocketwatch - 25 Galleons
    Model Tarasque - 5 Galleons
    Grindelwald's Manifesto 15 Galleons
    Exposition of the Hieroglyphical Figures - 5 Galleons
    The Final Fortress: Guarding the Mind - 5 Galleons
    Cryptomagizoology - Beyond Scamander -15 Galleons
    10th Anniversary Dungeons & Dragons Collector's Set -50 Galleons
    Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid - 5 Galleons
    Lottery ticket for 1st Ed, Fantastic Beasts - 13 Galleons
    A fanciful comic of St. Martha - 1 Galleon

The pocketwatch so Shinji gets something practical.
    The model is a souvenir of his holidays in France.
    The manifesto because I think Shinji would gain to learn why a talented man like Grindelwald decided on his path.
    The books (save for the Occlumency an Grindelwald Manifesto) are meant to be redistributed at some point, effectively fulfilling the slot for most Christmas presents. (And yes Gemini cloned books could be used as well if you want extra)
    One ticket for the lottery, because why not give it a chance?
    The comic so he can discuss the material with Phelan and maybe get a good laugh out of it

139 Galleons

Miyuki;

Alchemy Book - 500 Galleons
    Glass Flower of Moonlight - 15 Galleons
    Desserts - 5 Galleons

Alchemy book so she gets something that could help with her project.
    The glass flower is an interesting gift.
    Desserts here (and below) serve as Omiyage (obligatory gift - most of often specialty products - that Japanese people automatically get when they travel)

520 Galleons

Amber;

Pocketwatch - 25 galleons
    Cinderella Fashionable Shoes - Enhances Reflexes / Mobility - 35 Galleons
    Desserts - 5 Galleons

Less likely to be reckless and needing the feathefall. Went with pocketwatch since it could have a more adequate enchantment on it. Also, one less item that he has to make himself.
    The shoes because it would add to her mobility and survival. Also, exchanging gifts should be hilarious with this involved and Amber's own present.

60 Galleons

Natsumi;

Ring of Featherfall - 15 Galleons
    Alchemy Jug - 25 Galleons
    Desserts - 5

Since she wants to be a Jedi, she will need to have a way to slow her fall if she's not wearing a wand.
    The jug so she add something useful for her potions set.

45 Galleons

Phelan;

Tartarin of Tarascon - 5 Galleons

The ring because it's Phelan we're talking about.
    The comic because I find the idea hilarious.
    The copy of T&T because there's a lesson to learn for him.

21 Galleons

Ernie;

Ring of Water Breathing - 15 Galleons
    Clay figurine of St. Martha - 5 Galleons

Ring of WB so he can have something different and he doesn't need the other one.
    Just so Selina can tease him about "collecting women".

20 Galleons

Miyuki + Amber + Natsumi + Phelan + Ernie;

Postcards - One for each - 5 Galleons

5 Galleons

Quirrell;

Leonard Spencer-Moon's History of the Grindelwald Incident - 10 galleons
    Desserts - 5 Galleons

I think Grindelwald would be an interesting subject for class. Also, Quirrell gives something to discuss with his new colleague (since the new History teacher is the author)

15 Galleons

Slughorn;

Desserts - 5 galleons

Because bribing this teacher works.

5 Galleons

Sprout;

Desserts- 5 galleons

Why not?

5 Galleons

Total cost; 835 Galleons.
    Last edited by Daiki; November 23rd, 2018 at 02:47 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Ideally, I would go for about a third of his money (maybe half if the gifts are really good) but not higher. It's funny how it goes, eh?
    So much for a third. :P

Do have to wonder, will he read all those books?
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; November 23rd, 2018 at 01:20 AM.

Daiki,you amuse me in your plan but please show some darn restraint. Wedon't have to spend ALL the money just cause we can. It is going tobe a piss poor Christmas if he has nothing left, since he would not be able to even afford material to make gifts for people.

Plus every magical item you have to make is taking time. Less Magical rings. Sure get them for a few people butnot everyone. And in DnD terms you can’t wear multiple magical rings and get effects so one ring per person please.

Not to mention you FORGOT that Shinji can flat out copy non magical items. Use it. Embrace the cheese.

Sl's Proposal

Shinji

Pocketwatch- 25 Galleons
    The Final Fortress: Guarding the Mind - 5 Galleons
    Leonard Spencer-Moon's History of the Grindelwald Incident - 10 Galleons

60 Galleons

Shinji does not need all of the books you have. He has not the time to read them all. So I just kept the important ones or books that could be reference books for classes. Shinji also not that lucky to win a drawing for the fancy book so I am not wasting money on that.Reading/owning Manifesto of Grindelwald is like the equivalent of owning/reading Mein Kampf. You might have good reason to read it but don't wave it around in front of people. I don't want Hermione to see him reading this book. So no on that book even if it is interesting.

Miyuki;

Alchemy Book - 500 Galleons
    Glass Flower of Moonlight - 15 Galleons

515 Galleons

For real saving you could remove this rather expensive book but its senpai so if anyone is going to take all of Shinji's money it is her.

Amber;

Cinderella Fashionable Shoes - Enhances Reflexes /Mobility - 35 Galleons
    Copy of The Final Fortress: Guarding the Mind -Zero (Clone the book)

50 Galleons

Natsumi;

Alchemy Jug - 25 Galleons
    Copy of The Final Fortress: Guarding the Mind - Zero
    Copy of Alchemy Book – Zero
    Copy of Leonard Spencer-Moon's History of the Grindelwald Incident – Zero (Nats can't accuse me of hating history if I get her a history book on a dark lord)

40 Galleons

Phelan;

16 Galleons

Ernie;

Ring of Featherfall – 15 galleons
    Copy of The Final Fortress: Guarding the Mind -Zero

15 Galleons

Miyuki+ Amber + Natsumi + Phelan + Ernie;

Postcards - One foreach - 5 postcards for 1 Galleons

1 Galleons

Quirrell;

Nothing you can give Quirrell is going to be valued to him. You can’t buy his respect or bribe him. Simply prepare for his upcoming hell challenge if you want to please him.

Dessert Budget for upcoming Miyuki Tea Time

80 Galleons

Total cost; 777 Galleons

You mean we get to have money left over after shopping? What a novel concept. And if the Alchemy book was not bought we be sitting at only spending 1/4 of our remaining funds. Instead we will only have that amount left.

[X] Sl's Proposal

Blog Entries
    I'll edit my list a bit in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post
    Do have to wonder, will he read all those books?
    Of course not, most are meant to be redistributed as gifts later on, such as xmas presents.

I intended to have him study with the Occlumency book and read the Grindelwald manifesto though.

Alright, I tried to trim as much as I could but I still end up with a severe chunk of money spent. However, I would like to consider all those books as investments since it will save Shinji the trouble to get stuff for Christmas. Yeah, money will be tough for a while but we will find a way around it I'm sure.

Looking back, I deserved to be called on it since I went on a spending spree a bit. xD
    Last edited by Daiki; November 23rd, 2018 at 02:54 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Plus every magical item you have to make is taking time. Less Magical rings. Sure get them for a few people butnot everyone. And in DnD terms you can’t wear multiple magical rings and get effects so one ring per person please.
    Hate to break it to you, but despite what Selina thinks (and despite how the Slytherins revere her for it), this ain't DnD. For one, the wizard spell list is different. :P