Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 1234581353 ... LastLast

Thread: But For A Stone (A Matou Shinji Series AU)

[X] Accept the invitation of Tsuji Miyuki and Suzuki Natsuki

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Accept the invitation of Tsuji Miyuki and Suzuki Natsuki

Thinking that it was best not to turn down the kind offer of the two young ladies, Shinji agrees to sit with them on the Hogwarts Express, with the three finding a compartment together.

"I don't really understand why there's a train at all," the boy complained as the train pulled away from the station. "Or why I'm being made to take it, since if I was being brought here from Japan, the Portkey could have transported me to Hogwarts just as easily."

"It is tradition," replied Tsuji Miyuki, whose hazel eyes regarded him severely as she took a thermos of tea from her bag, as well as three golden spheres which resembled nothing so much as marbles. "In the past, it is said that students came to Hogwarts by whatever method their families could provide, whether riding on broomsticks, enchanted carts, or creatures. But there was too much danger in letting so many wander by themselves, so it was decided that all students must take the train from Kings Cross."

"...that wouldn't really help anything would it? Since it would mean that instead of going directly, students would still need to get to Kings Cross..." Shinji said with a frown. "Wouldn't that be worse, considering that Kings Cross is in the heart of London?" He paused. "For that matter, where did they get a train?"

He didn't think of practitioners of witchcraft as the sort to practice mechanical engineering after all, so he doubted they built it.

Miyuki shrugged, her delicate frame moving slightly as she did.

"I do not know myself," she admitted. "Perhaps I will ask Professor Binns. For now, tea?"

"...I wouldn't mind," Shinji answered, as his throat was perhaps a bit parched.

"Y-yes please," Natsumi chimed in.

Nodding, Miyuki drew her wand, and with a wave and a few muttered words, transformed the spheres she had into high-class tea cups, into which she poured fragrant green tea.

Shinji muttered his thanks as he took one of the cups, finding the aroma quite refreshing.

"Oh, so you can even do that with magic?" Natsumi questioned, her eyes wide as she looked at the other girl. "As expected of Miyuki-senpai!"

"It is merely basic transfiguration," Miyuki replied mildly, as she tossed her raven tresses. "You will learn as much in your first year, Natsumi."

"...a useful skill to be sure," Shinji noted, wondering what else was possible through witchcraft.
    "Do you know any magic yourself, Matou-kun?" Natsumi asked him, turning her curious gaze on him. "Anything from Japan?"

"I'm don't think it comes from Japan, but I do know one spell..." Shinji admitted, taking out his wand of Cherry. "Gemino!" he intoned as he waved it above the tea-cup before him, with a perfect replica of the teacup - with tea included - coming into existence beside the first.

"Wahh! Coool!" the light haired Natsumi was quite impressed by this. "I wish I knew how to do such cool magic too!" But then she looked down. "I hope everyone isn't ahead of me...that its ok that I don't know how to do any magic."

"Everyone starts from somewhere, Natsumi," Miyuki said kindly, as she reached out to pat her friend's head. "Work hard and you can do such things as well."

"Auuu..."

"So...you said something about Hogwarts?" Shinji ventured, recalling something the two had mentioned on the platform. "I also overheard something about houses from others?"

"Ah, yes. There are four houses at Hogwarts: Slytherin, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff. Slytherin is the house of Ambition and Resourcefulness. Gryffindor, the House of the Reckless and Foolhardy. Ravenclaw, the house of eccentricity and academic excellence. And Hufflepuff, for hard work and fair judgement," Miyuki summed up.

"...Miyuki-senpai, I think your bias is showing through," Natsumi said reproachfully. "Just because you're a Hufflepuff..."

"Truly? Well, that is simply what I have seen," the raven-haired girl admitted. "Ask ten students what they think of the houses, and you will find ten different answers." She glanced back at Shinji. "In any case, Matou-kun, your House determines where you sleep, who you will have classes with, and such for your seven years at Hogwarts, so you should choose wisely when the time comes."

"Oh? And why did you choose Hufflepuff, Tsuji-san?"

"Because I found its atmosphere open and refreshing. And..."

Miyuki lips curled into an unpleasant expression.

"Because I did not wish to endure the presence of Cho Chang any more than was necessary."

"Cho Chang?" Shinji questioned.

"A frivolous Ravenclaw who is far too concerned with romance and Quidditch for her own good. My rival for best in year," the girl replied shortly. "Natsumi, as I recall, you wished to join Hufflepuff as well?" The light-haired girl nodded. "And what of you, Matou-kun? Do you have an idea of which house would best suit you?"

"Well, after hearing all that, I think ______ would suit me best."

Fill in the blank (choose one)

[ ] Slytherin
    [ ] Ravenclaw
    [ ] Hufflepuff
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 12th, 2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    Miyuki has a history with Gryffs one assumes...

I'm gonna go with [x] Hufflepuff for now.

I think Hufflepuff would suit a Shinji who is loyal to family. And hard work is not something he is adverse to.

Slytherin works better if you want personal status and overall influence.

[x] Ravenclaw

As the true Slytherins are never being sorted to Slytherin. Eccentricity trait of Eagle's House is perfect to hide a magi - like a leaf in the forest.

That is some amazing bias there. I would argue that Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are the two houses that are most similar to each other. Their biggest difference being that in time of danger, one circles the wagons and goes on the defensive and the other charges forward on the offensive.

[X] Hufflepuff

Because Hufflepuff is the house of getting shit done. Totally not because Shinji is sitting with two Hufflepuffs (or soon to be) and bowing to peer pressure in the hopes that they will respect him and maybe *gasp* like him.

I have seen Ravenclaw Shinji, now I want to see Hufflepuff Shinji. That boy who tried to be his family heir by memorizing their entire library thru perseverance. I think that while Shinji values knowledge still more than almost anything else, he understands that knowledge is gained by hard work.

Disclamer: I have always viewed Shinji as some kind of Sytherin-Hufflepuff hybrid more than being a full Ravenclaw. Not that he does not fit in with Ravenclaw, as he certain anti-social enough to fit with them better than social hufflepuff.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; December 12th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
    That is some amazing bias there. I would argue that Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are the two houses that are most similar to each other. Their biggest difference being that in time of danger, one circles the wagons and goes on the defensive and the other charges forward on the offensive.
    Gryffindor is also more of the house of mavericks and rulebreakers, given Fred, George, Harry and such. It is possible that Miyuki simply doesn't approve of pranks, since first years often get targeted for hazing.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 12th, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Hufflepuff

Hope this help us with the family route.

Blog Entries
    [X] Hufflepuff

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Hufflepuff

Chapter 1. Sorting it Out

Matou Shinji watched uneasily as one student after another stepped forward to have a frayed and worn out witch’s hat was placed upon their heads, whereupon, after some indeterminate amount of time, it would shout out “HUFFLEPUFF!”

Well, or Slytherin, Ravenclaw, or Gryffindor, but he knew which of those he wanted to be sorted into.

‘There’s nothing hidden in my head that it can’t see, huh?’
    he mused, not feeling entirely comfortable about having an obviously enchanted item anywhere near his head. That usually tended to be A Very Bad Idea™ where magecraft was concerned, though he supposed that if they were placing it on every student, it couldn’t be that terrible of a thing. ‘Unless it changes my personality or something.’

No…it wouldn’t do that.

Or at least he hoped not. He couldn’t actually be sure, but after the reading he’d done on mind magic and curses, well, there was no such thing as being too careful.

‘I guess it uses Legilimency…’

Which meant that in theory, the mind-clearing exercises he’d been working on would be helpful. Only in theory though, as his mind was always…full of ideas. Full of questions. And lately, full of wonder at the world and all the curious happenings in it.

“GRYFFINDOR!”

Even Tohsaka being…Tohsaka and laughing in his face when he told her he was leaving Fuyuki to attend an institute for Witchcraft hadn’t really hurt.
    …too much.

Really.

So what if she’d been the girl he had always admired. The girl he’d seen as perfect. The girl who had been someone he’d idolized in his own way.

It didn’t matter.

It didn’t matter because she was in Japan, and he was here. In Britain.

Starting new.

“RAVENCLAW!”

‘Huh, almost five minutes that time
    . That’s the longest yet.

He glanced up to see just who had been holding up the queue, noting that it was a bushy-haired brunette who was average as far as looks went. Not that he was any judge of how westerners looked.

There were still many more people – about two dozen, perhaps more, but like any good Japanese boy, he was used to waiting in line for things.

‘…and waiting. And waiting.’

He sighed.

‘Maybe if I shout in my mind where I want to go, it will just send me there?’

A few more names, a few more shouts of the hat, a few more rounds of polite applause and gangly youths walking over to a table draped in red, green, or blue.

MacDougal – Gryffindor.

Malfoy – Slytherin.

Malone – Ravenclaw.

And then it was his turn, and scarcely had the hat touched his head when it shouted out HUFFLEPUFF!

Shinji smiled as he headed to the table draped in black and gold, seating himself next to a second-year girl who had saved him a seat.

“Thank you, Tsuji-hime,” he said in Japanese, giving with a formal bow.

Tsuji Miyuki merely raised an eyebrow.

“I distinctly recall saying that -san was fine, or senpai, if you must,” she replied archly. “Now sit down before people start staring.”

Not one to disobey a beautiful senpai, Shinji did as she instructed and looked around at the faces of the people he would be spending the next seven years with.

“I suppose I’ve seen worse?” he offered, with a few others chuckling awkwardly.

“…just for that, I think the Prefect may have you be the one to demonstrate the House’s anti-intrusion charms,” the young woman continued, an odd smirk crossing her lips as she took a sip of tea. “I hear they can be…unpleasant.”

“…heh, very funny, senpai,” Shinji responded.

“I wasn’t joking.”

“…oh.”

Matou Shinji had expected the worst when he had learned he would be brought over to Britain by some magical means of transport, but travelling by Portkey had been worse than he’d imagined. It had felt like someone had strung a metal hook behind his navel and had ripped him through space and time, entrails first.

(Sans entrails actually coming out of his body, of course).

When he’d landed, he’d nearly collapsed from nausea and dizziness, a sensation that hadn’t been helped by a sudden torrent of English washing over him.

‘So…loud…’

It hadn’t been, really, in terms of decibels, but for someone experiencing something not entirely unlike a hangover, it had certainly felt that way. That it had been ceaseless babble in a tongue he had trouble understanding, most of it inane and garbled to his recovering senses, only served to annoy him further.

While he had some grasp of English from when he’d been sent abroad to study during the Fourth War, he had been out of practice for a few years, long enough for his tongue to feel clumsy, and his brain to be rather slow at translating.

Still, he’d managed to make out some of the gossip - some of which was apparently focused on him, since it was unusual to see anyone come to Kings Cross by Portkey, with the rest being split evenly between an exotic-looking foreigner with tanned skin and purple hair who some thought to be a metamorphmagus, whatever that was, and a handsome young prince named Draco, with hair of gold and—

‘…really? I know I’m going to a magical school, but if that guy ends up being something out of a light novel, I’m going to get a little angry.’
    But then the boy had chuckled. ‘But I guess if it’s a light novel, maybe I’d end up being the protagonist, since I’m the odd one out, so there’s that. It’s either me or the other foreigner, anyway.’

Or so he’d told himself, as a bit of humor helped him settle his stomach at least.

"Hello," a quiet voice had greeted him in somewhat formal Japanese, with the boy turning to see two girls about his age, or perhaps a little older, coming up to him. "You're the student from Japan, yes?"

One was a pale refined beauty, with long, lustrous black hair that went down to her waist, and eyes like warm amber, clad in a dress of midnight blue, while other had a more refreshing, sporty look, with chestnut hair bound up in twintails and eyes so dark as to be nearly black, and was dressed in a simple white blouse and skirt ensemble.

"Nice to meet you," the boy had replied, giving the two a slight bow, as he was grateful to be able to speak in his own language. “I am Matou Shinji, from Fuyuki City

"Suzuki…Natsumi," the one with the lighter hair had said with a shy smile. "Matou - that is written as 'among the paulowina' yes? And is Shinji ‘faithful second son’?"

Shinji had tensed slightly at the reminder that even his name had implied he wouldn’t be his family’s heir, but...

‘It
    is…what the name means.’

"That's right,” Shinji had answered, regarding the girl before him. “I know Suzuki is 'bell and tree', but is your Natsumi written with the kanji for pick vegetables?" he’d inquired, a hint of teasing entering his voice.

"N-no! Written with the kanji for beautiful summer!" Natumi had exclaimed, turning red as she crossed her arms and looked away, something that Shinji couldn’t help but find cute, as it reminded him of Tohsaka.

"I am called Tsuji Miyuki, written as 'crossroads' and 'beautiful snow,'" the other had interjected, her voice regal and clear as a bell as she regarded the young boy before her. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Matou-kun."

"And you, Tsuji-kakka," Shinji had replied, with a deep bow, deliberately choosing a much more formal suffix than necessary.

"Rather than kakka, -san should be fine when speaking in Japanese, or senpai, if you insist," Tsuji Miyuki had answered. "Though for Natsumi’s sake, English might be best, if you can speak it well enough."

"English will…work," the Boy from the East had allowed, though had felt awkward in his mouth. "I am not used to speaking in it, but practice would be good."

"Mm."

"Please take care of me," he’d continued, bowing again to the duo.

"W-would you like to sit together, on the Express?" the lighter-haired girl had offered, as she’d looked down and played nervously with her fingers. "We can tell you about Hogwarts and how things are in Britain, and you can tell us about Japan." She’d paused then, hesitating. "But o-only if you want to, though. If you had someone else to sit with, t-that's fine."

“…now why I do something so foolish as turn down an invitation from two beautiful girls?’ Shinji had asked with a warm smile, whereupon Natsumi had reddened slightly.

“You’ll have to excuse Natsumi,” Miyuki had noted, looking at Shinji somewhat coolly. “She isn’t used to dealing with males, as she attended an all-female school.”

“…sorry…”

But while he might have appreciated the company, once on the train though, Shinji hadn’t especially been impressed with the interior of the Hogwarts Express. He’d taken trains before, after all, and they were sleeker, more modern.

‘The Shinkansen is probably faster than this…’

"I don't really understand why there's a train at all," the boy had commented once the three of them had gotten settled in their compartment, just as the train pulled away from the station. "Or why I'm being made to take it, since if I was being brought here from Japan, the Portkey could have transported me to Hogwarts just as easily."

‘And then I could have gone to the nurses’ office.’

"It is tradition," had been Tsuji Miyuki’s reply, her amber-colored eyes regarding him severely as she took what looked like a thermos from her bag, as well as three golden spheres which resembled nothing so much as marbles. "In the past, it is said that students came to Hogwarts by whatever method their families could provide, but it proved inconvenient.”

“Inconvenient?”

“Having a thousand students ride broomsticks, enchanted carts, or creatures risked exposing the existence of magic to the world,” Miyuki had clarified. “So it was decided that all students must take the train from Kings Cross."

"...but that just means that students need to get to Kings Cross instead.”

“A simpler matter, as it is in London, and therefore conveniently accessible for both witches born of Muggles or one of the so-called noble lineages,” had come the reply.

“…that makes sense,” Shinji had allowed, though he wasn’t completely satisfied with her answer. "But well, where did they get a train?"

He hadn’t thought of practitioners of witchcraft as the sort to practice mechanical engineering after all, so he doubted they built it. Though he had heard from the guide who had taken him to Mahoutokoro about a sentient train that collected mystic eyes, so he supposed it that anything was possible.

Miyuki had shrugged then, her delicate frame moving slightly as she did.

"I do not know myself," she had admitted. "Perhaps I will ask Professor Binns. For now, would you care for tea?"

"I wouldn't mind," Shinji had answered, as his throat was perhaps a bit parched. “Thanks.”

"I’d like some too, please," Natsumi had chimed in, having finished looking around curiously at everything in the room, as if it was all wonderful and new.

Nodding, Miyuki had drawn her wand, and with a wave and a few muttered words, had transformed the golden spheres into rather exquisite looking tea cups, each of which she filled with a fragrant, pale green liquid.

“Enjoy,” she’d said, with Shinji muttering his thanks as he took one of the cups, finding the aroma and the sweet, grassy flavor quite refreshing.

‘…this is
    shincha tea, with leaves from the first harvest,’ he’d thought, surprised. A very rare taste to find outside of Japan, to be sure…

"Oh, so you can even do that with magic?" Natsumi had questioned, her eyes wide as she stared at the teacup Miyuki pushed in front of her. "As expected of Miyuki-senpai!"

"It is merely basic transfiguration," had been Miyuki’s reply. "You will learn as much in your first year, Natsumi."

Shinji observed that the older girl seemed to be milder toward Suzuki than to him, though he supposed if they knew each other, it was understandable.

"...a useful skill to be sure," he’d noted, wondering what else was possible through witchcraft. All he’d read up on were curses, after all.

"It is,” the raven-haired girl had agreed.

“Do you know any magic yourself, Matou-kun?" Natsumi had asked then, turning her curious gaze on the Boy from the East. "Anything from Japan?"

“Well, I'm don't think it comes from Japan, but I do know one spell..." Shinji had admitted, getting up to grab his wand of Cherry from where he’d tied it to his traveling chest. “Where did I…here it is,” he’d said as he found it. He sat down, wand drawn, and looked for something useful to test the one spell her knew on. ‘Guess I’ll have to use the teacup.’ "Gemino!" he’d intoned as he waved his wand in the pattern his book had indicated, with a perfect replica of the teacup - with tea included - coming into existence beside the first.

"Wahh! Coool!" the light haired Natsumi had said, clapping her hands at the display. "I wish I knew how to do such cool magic too!" But then she looked down. "I hope everyone isn't ahead of me...that its ok that I don't know how to do any magic."

"Everyone starts from somewhere, Natsumi." Miyuki’s voice had been kind, as she reached out to pat her friend's head. "Work hard and you can do such things as well."

"Auuu..."

Shinji had waited for the two girls to finish their bit of skinship, as he didn’t want to interrupt.

"...about Hogwarts?" Shinji ventured, recalling something else he’d overheard on the platform. "I remember hearing something about houses?"

"Indeed.” Miyuki had paused then, as she’d just taken a delicate sip of tea, and found it good. “There are four houses at Hogwarts: Slytherin, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff. Which one you are sorted into determines where you sleep, who you will have classes with, and such for your seven years at Hogwarts, so you should choose wisely when the time comes."

“Oh, and do each of them mean something?” Shinji wondered, thinking of the Four Divine Beasts, and how he thought Seiryuu, Genbu, Byakko, and Suzaku would be cooler names.

“Slytherin, whose symbol is the Snake, is the house of Ambition and Resourcefulness. Gryffindor, the Lion, predatory and lazy. Ravenclaw, the Eagle, eccentric, alone, and quick to steal credit. And Hufflepuff, for hard work, fair judgement, and being tougher than we appear," the raven-haired had summarized with a trace of a smirk.

"Auu...Miyuki-senpai, I think your bias is showing through," Natsumi had said reproachfully. "Just because you're a Hufflepuff..."

"Bias? Perhaps. It is simply what I have seen," the raven-haired girl admitted. "Ask ten students what they think of the houses, and you will find ten different answers, depending what they have experienced." She glanced back at Shinji. "In any case, Matou-kun, Natsumi, choose carefully…”

"Oh? And why did you choose Hufflepuff, Tsuji no Ue?"

“…again with the archaic suffixes, Matou?” the refined senpai had questioned. “As for why, cecause I found its atmosphere open and refreshing." And then her lips had curled into an unpleasant expression. “And because I did not wish to endure the presence of the one named Cho Chang any more than was necessary."

"Cho Chang?" Shinji had repeated. “Who is…?”

"A frivolous Ravenclaw who is far too concerned with romance and Quidditch for her own good, with friends who enjoy trying to put people in their place. My rival for best in year," the girl had replied shortly. "Natsumi, as I recall, you wished to join Hufflepuff as well?"

The light-haired girl had nodded.

"And what of you, Matou-kun? Do you have an idea of which house would best suit you?"

“Well, from what you’ve said, senpai, I think Hufflepuff seems like the obvious choice.”

“Oho, and do you trust everything people tell you?”

“Only when the person telling me is a…” But the boy had trailed off.

“...go on…”

“…a cool, reliable senpai,” Shinji had finished, his face going somewhat red.

“Flattery gets you nowhere…at least with me,” the older girl had answered, before her lips quirked with a hint of mischief. “Now, Natsumi on the other hand…”

“Miyuki-senpai!”

It was no surprise to Matou Shinji that when the sorting ended, Natsumi had joined Hufflepuff as well, though he was curious as to why the purple-haired foreigner had gone to Ravenclaw.

The real surprises that evening – unpleasant ones, at least – were three.

First was how heavy the meat and starch-laden Welcome Feast, had been, full of roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops, lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, apple pie, chocolate gateau, pumpkin tart and more.

Second was the Headmaster’s announcement that the third-floor corridor was out of bounds to anyone who did not want to die a very painful death.

“Does he often make these sorts of announcements?”
    he muttered to Tsuji Miyuki, who shrugged.

“Last year, he provided a reason. If you are curious, ask Professor Sprout.”

“I might do that, thanks.”

As for the third…

well, after Prefect Diggory had shown everyone else into the dorms, Shinji asked if there was a way he could get food that wasn’t quite as heavy, whereupon the prefect had kindly led him to the kitchens and demonstrate how one could visit the house-elves working there by tickling the pear on the painting of a bowl of fruit. That wasn’t the unpleasant surprise, however.

That
    came when Prefect Diggory had asked Shinji to head back first, as he was going to get some snacks for the dorm.

…whereupon Shinji, who had not quite memorized which barrel out of a rather large pile he was supposed to tap in the rhythm of ‘Helga Hufflepuff’ to gain entrance into the common room, tapped the wrong one, leading to one of the other lids popping off, with him being drenched in foul-smelling vinegar.

The boy trembled in silent rage, gripping his wand tightly as he seethed. This was…this was…

“…Tergeo!” a voice called from behind him, with the vinegar detaching from Shinji’s robes and streaming…

“Huh.”

…streaming into a ball of the substance suspended before the point of Diggory’s wand. It took a few moments, but soon enough, Matou Shinji was clean once more, and with a wave, the vinegar was placed back in the barrel, with Shinji securing the lid.

“Please teach me that spell,” he asked of the Prefect, bowing to him deeply.

“Hey, no need to bow. We’re all student,” Diggory replied, scratching his head. “As for the spell, I would have thought you’d have learned some basic household spells in Japan, what with being a half-blood and all.”

“Different spells in Japan,” the boy said tersely.

“Well, in that case it can’t be helped. If you want, I’ll be happy to teach.”

“Thank you.”

​Choices!

Here's your schedule:

Day 1: Transfiguration x 2, Potions (with Ravenclaw), Charms, Astronomy (midnight)
    Day 2: DADA, History of Magic, Herbology (with Gryffindor), Charms, Flying (with Ravenclaw)
    Day 3: Charms, Herbology (with Gryffindor), DADA, Potions (with Ravenclaw)
    Day 4: Transfiguration, Charms, DADA, History of Magic
    Day 5: History of Magic, Transfiguration, Potions x2 (with Ravenclaw),

What class do you concentrate on most / which do you concentrate on least? (choose one for each)
    [ ] DADA
    [ ] Transfiguration
    [ ] History
    [ ] Charms
    [ ] Potions
    [ ] Herbology

Also...

What should Shinji do with his free time? (choose two)
    [ ] Visit Professor ________'s office hours
    [ ] Explore the castle with Natsumi
    [ ] Go to the library and read ahead
    [ ] Work on Occlumency
    [ ] Work on learning more Curses
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 15th, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

Focus

[x] DADA

Focus less

[x] Charms

Personally i woukd want prefer go for Potions or tranfiguration, sadly the cherry wand have little afinity with transfiguration so this one would have to wait for now.

But right now would be a good idea go full focus in things than have good afinity with shinji.

I want to go full "hard work" shinji so:
    [x] Work on Occlumency
    [x] Work on learning more Curses
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; December 14th, 2017 at 04:20 AM.

[X] Focus on DADA
    [X] Focus less on History

[X] Work on Occlumency
    [X] Go to the library and read ahead

Not sure if tanking history will screw us over with Lockhart next year but at this moment History is the one class that Shinji should have little need to study as it has a horrible teacher and frankly its the study of a very limited and bias history. We can untank it latter I say when the class becomes better. But for this year focus on the magic classes.

The free time choices are a bit of a Ravenclaw pick for me but I want hard working, knowledgeable Shinji that using his Occlumency to its full ability to learn spells at a fast rate. These two choices work together on that front. Let Shinji get ahead of the pack so to say by applying his Ravenclaw love for learning with his Hufflepuff work ethic. Shinji is likely in Hufflepuff not to lord his knowledge over everyone (too much) as a know it all but become the person that people look to for answers or help inside Hufflepuff for his year.

I could consider the learning curses choice but I think I prefer the more general boost that the library gives. The other good option I think we might consider is spending time with a professor for their boost.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure McGonagall or Dumbledore could help us find a way to circumvent the problem of affinity with the wand. And if they don't, we're not going to waste months before studying seriously a subject we want because Shinji lacks the perfect tool to work with. You can still study the theory and make steady progress in spite of incompatibility.

We went Hufflepuff, would be a shame not to prove that hardworking can match (if not beat) affinity/talent.

For now, I'll vote [x] Transfiguration as a focus and [x] History as a drop.

DADA isn't a bad pick here but that likely means Quirrell as a mentor down the line. Keep that in mind.

[X] Work on Occlumency

Improving this discipline is probably best done early on, since it will increase Shinji overall learning speed and you don't want any legilimens to probe Shinji's mind undetected when the boy gets into trouble.

You can learn about the setting from studying in the library (right Hermione), so it would compensate for the missing opportunity of exploring. Plus, if Shinji uses the place regularly and gets good grades, he might be allowed to use the restricted area at some point.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    I'm sure McGonagall or Dumbledore could help us find a way to circumvent the problem of affinity with the wand.
    Its not really a matter of circumventing it. Wands generally have some things they're better at doing, and some things they're not as good with doing. Ollivander wands tend to not be terrible at anything, but they're also not exceptional at anything. Wands made by other crafters are geared to augment people's strengths, but at the same time, they have bigger weak points.

Basically, where an Ollivander wand may give +10 to Charms, -10 to Transfiguration, Shinji's wand gives something like 3x that.

But as with most things, one can overcome a lot of things with Hard Work, and the effort you put in will pay off if you do get a more suitable wand later.

Ok daiki you have a great point.
    Change my vote to:
    [x] Transfiguration as a focus

[x] History as a drop.

Lets go for that Mongolian worm form and those gramps points.

[X] Focus on DADA
    [X] Focus less on History

[X] Work on Occlumency

I can get behind people's logic here. Hardwork overcomes everything! Might not do wonders with Shinjis' stress levels at the start thought...

Change my vote to:
    [x] Transfiguration as a focus

After thinking, it not a very good idea for Shinji to heavily endear himself with Voldemort if we are serious about this going the family route. Divided loyalties did not work out for us before and Voldy does not share his minions with others. We might be ok if we only assist Sion but do not go crazy with being her vessel again.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What class do you concentrate on most / which do you concentrate on least? Most - Transfiguration; Least - History

What should Shinji do with his free time? [x] Go to the library and read ahead; [x] Work on Occlumency

First day of classes! During the first week, you will be learning how to make the basic Cure for Boils, with the pair that brews the best potion getting a sample of Mopsus Potion (which effectively makes you like a Jedi while it lasts, at the cost of rendering you unable to use other magic). At the beginning of the week, after asking a few questions about potions that - to no surprise - mostly Ravenclaws answer correctly, Professor Slughorn gives the class a few minutes to choose a brewing partner for this assignment.

For reference, as Hufflepuffs, you share potions with Ravenclaw.

Who does Shinji want to work with?

[ ] The dusky-skinned foreigner
    [ ] The bushy-haired brunette who was raising her hand for every question
    [ ] Natsumi, who looks over him shyly (and seemed very excited about the possible prize)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 15th, 2017 at 01:54 AM.

[x] The dusky-skinned foreigner

Blog Entries
    [x] Natsumi, who looks over him shyly.

Willing to switch if someone presents a good argument.

[x] Natsumi, who looks over him shyly (and seemed very excited about the possible prize)

It's no good to abandon our current date for our parallel-life idol. She won't approve it herself.